PDA

View Full Version : What is more important to you the reel or the pole?

madcaster
05-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Still trying to make up my mine either a High end reel or a High end pole to start :HappyWave:

Monty
05-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Still trying to make up my mine either a High end reel or a High end pole to start :HappyWave:
For me its the reliability of the reel. I live an hour + from the water and get to fish normally 1x per week, so each outing is important to me.
I am out there for 7-10 hours and normally a mile+ from my vehicle. I wade out in the water a lot, the reel gets dunked and is in the sand and wash often. Last thing I want is a reel that fails (which happened to me a few times before I took the plunge).

rockhopper
05-13-2013, 09:26 PM
What monty said. I think it also depends on the kind of fishing you do. Do you fish rocks and jetties a lot? If so get the best gear you can in case you take a spill. Otherwise the best thing to spend your money on is a good reel. Your reel craps out on you and you are done for the night.

finchaser
05-14-2013, 08:03 AM
The reel as more reels fail then rods, cheap reels have cheap components and drags. Also a reel with 3 good bearings is better that than a reel with 11 cheap bearings as many people purchase by bearings and so called smoothness. Most important to me is the line. There's a fine line between the fish and the idiot standing on the shore as the saying goes. With out good line the best rod and reel are useless. IMO better to buy good once then cheap 3 or 4 times comes out cheaper in the long run. I tell people buy the best you can afford and stay away from combo's.

jigfreak
05-14-2013, 11:05 AM
IMO better to buy good once then cheap 3 or 4 times comes out cheaper in the long run. I tell people buy the best you can afford and stay away from combo's.

x2. reel is a critical part pf your night out there. how much are you looking to spend on the reel madcaster?

madcaster
05-15-2013, 04:54 PM
I know what reel I want Dawia 4500 saltis has a much faster gear ratio ...but I'm happy with my bg30 but is a liitle slow for me ...I was also looking a CT rod 11' that is alot stiffer than what I have now.
reel price buget is about 200 the rod is aout of my range but I can dream

dogfish
05-16-2013, 03:41 AM
The saltist reel is a good one if you will not be dunking it. Just take good care of it. rinse it off after each time out. Lube and grease once a year. It should last you a long time. good luck