PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Shorts

Mike O
05-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Ok guys and gals. I ran into a situation this morning while fishing @ SH. I called out a guy who caught a fluke that looked questionable to me. As I approached him I asked him if the fish he just caught was a keeper (fluke). He said to me "what are you a game warden, yeah it's 17 1/2" you want to measure it yourself" I took him up on his offer, and by my measurement the fish was a 1/2" short. My ? is should I have kept my mouth shut and minded my own business, or do you think I did the right thing. Keep in mind that the fish was only short 1/2" even though by his measurement the fish was a keeper. If the majority rules in his favor, by all means I apoligize to the guy whoever he is. And I will probably never do that again, unless it is more obvious that the fish is short. :embarassed:

jigfreak
05-27-2013, 03:38 PM
The New Jersey Marine Fisheries Council voted unanimously on Thursday to approve a 122-day summer flounder season that will run from May 18 to Sept. 16 with a 171/2-inch fish and a five-fish bag limit for the 2013 season. The Council approved Option No. 2 from a possible choice of six options available. That option was the preferred choice of most fishing groups going into the meeting.

Mike 17 1/2 inches is the minimum. If the guy claims a 17" fish is 17 1/2" sounds like he knew the law and didn't care. The laws have to be the same for everyone or they aren't fair. If you use the same logic with bass everyone would be keeping 27 1/2" bass. He knew it was wrong and figured you would never call his bluff and measure it. You did the right thing. When you told him it was short what did he then do? If you told him nicely and he still kept it you should of tossed it back. Even 17 1/4 I would consider he made a mistake and should keep it. A half inch is a decent enough difference that he should have known. jmo

cowherder
05-27-2013, 03:45 PM
I agree with jigfreak. If we can all keep half inch short fish then what the hell are the regulations for? I would also have reminded him respectfully that the fish was a half inch short and hoped he would do the right thing.

Monty
05-27-2013, 04:18 PM
I am going to agree with Jigfreak and Cowherder, your choice to call him out, you did, nice job, kudos to you.

storminsteve
05-27-2013, 05:52 PM
It could have been legal and then you might have looked stupid. I think if it was me I might have said something like hey dude that is a nice fluke it must have been tough when you measured that fluke because it would be hard for me to tell by just looking. Then as you said he asked you if you wanted to measure it. I would have measured it always keep a tape handy. If it does turn out short maybe he was measureing it wrong and you could have diplomatically pointed it out. That way you would have been a nice guy and not accusatory. The thing that turns me off is when a guy knows how big a fish is suppposed to be and then gives you the "I no speaka da englis" speech. Thats bs if they don't speak english that shouldn't stop them from knowing the regs. I ran into these asian guys on the jetty the other day and they had a laminated copy of the regs with them even though they didn't speak any english when I talked to them. So you know they all definitely know the regs.

If they honestly dont it's not a great idea to make it like they just committed a mass murder- just try and educate them. It's when they get all hostile and defensive about keeping shorts that I get annoyed. Or playing dumb that is the worst.
You def did the right thing mike no worries.:thumbsup:

basshunter
05-27-2013, 06:13 PM
yeah I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt no sense in getting stabbed over a fish. I don't think you did anything wrong Mike either. my .02

Mike O
05-28-2013, 12:19 AM
Thanks for all the input. Just to add to this, their were 3 of them and just me. It goes without saying that I was careful in my use of words. One of the guys, (not the one who caught the fish) was giving me an attitude,but when I reminded them that the fish, was in fact short, the guy that caught the fish said "it's dead anyway" (but it was not) I knew it was time to back off. Thanks.

storminsteve
05-28-2013, 08:19 AM
That's what gets me is the attitude, Mike. Assume that was a valid defense, striper/fluke.sea bass/tog is dead anyway so its ok if its short. Do you know how many more short fish would be kept? Lots. thanks for trying.

robmedina
05-28-2013, 01:50 PM
short is short period. A holes like that are whats killing the fishery. You did good.

hookedonbass
07-01-2013, 12:40 PM
short is short period. A holes like that are whats killing the fishery. You did good.

x2, thank you for at least trying to say something mike.

surfstix1963
07-03-2013, 05:12 AM
I would just call the proper authorities then to stick your neck out to some nutjob that may stab or shoot you over a short fish I'm just getting too old and beat up to be fistfighting with some jerk. Let the right people do their job and handle it or grab a plate number and forward that to the proper authority.

VSdreams
08-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Mike thanks for standing up and trying. In this world based a lot who do bad get away with it because others watch and do nothing. At least you tried. What bothers me too is the dudes who leave the skates and sea robins to die on the beach. Yes they do steak your bait but isn't that part of the game? Found a dead skate on the beach yesterday. Killed for no reason. Thats just dumb.

baitstealer
06-29-2014, 05:28 PM
Are you allowed to keep hickory shad? I was at an inlet the other day and saw guys catching and keeping them. I didn't see it anywhere in the regs whether you could keep them or not.

finchaser
06-29-2014, 06:38 PM
Are you allowed to keep hickory shad? I was at an inlet the other day and saw guys catching and keeping them. I didn't see it anywhere in the regs whether you could keep them or not.

Yes you can American and Hickory you are allowed 6 a day per person.