PDA

View Full Version : The Waiters!

storminsteve
06-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Waiters - coined by Speedy....:thumbsup: :HappyWave:

Speedy had a funny take on it when I was talking to him the other day...he called them "Waiters".
I thought I didn't understand, thought he meant "Waders"...

He said...."No dude, it's WAITERS! The guys too lazy to actually fish until someone is hooked up, sitting there with the binocs, they WAIT till someone else hooks up and come running down, they are WAITERS! " :ROFLMAO

Well you guys were talking about it. Dark and Speedy mentioned it. Here we have the waiters!
Who are the guys who wait and dont fish till they see a 30 pound bass hooked up? Who are the guys who come running when the cell phones ring. Who are the scouts for the rest. Post up guys lets see em!

williehookem
06-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Can't believe you jersey folks do that. Doesn't make sense to me at all. Why not put a few casts in while waiting. Like they say with the lottery hey you never know.

rockhopper
06-03-2013, 12:29 PM
haha this is so funny went to nj and saw that one time I think it was june. I called them the Binocular Boys or Binoc boys for short.

nitestrikes
06-03-2013, 12:36 PM
AT Montauk every june a bunch of folks come up from NJ. There is one group who looks like the coolest surfcasters ever. All the right gear and everything they have is the most expensive. They look like they are a cross between surfcasters journal best of pics (apologies to Z, no offence meant) and the abercrombie and fitch catalog.

Mind you it is just this one group I am talking about I have good fishing friends in NJ as well.

These seem to fit the profile of the ones you are talking about storminsteve. They come up, they fish a little. They seem to spend most of their time camped out in the back lot bbqing and bsing about all the big fish they caught. It's not that big a deal for me to drive to montauk and fish an hour or two and go home if it's lame. If I had to drive as far as some of these guys do I would not be bbqing or wasting time telling stories. I would be fishing hard and making my own stories. Maybe that's just me.

hookset
06-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Watching guys wait for fish like that. Reminds me of how they do bear hunts up north. They put out bait every day. They go there twice a day, morning and night. Depends on when the bears feed. If a bear is there they shoot it and the client is happy. "Guaranteed kill or your money back" they advertise in the brochures. That is how they guarantee it.
At least if you go down there, make a couple casts and try to catch one blind casting. It can be done. my .02

wish4fish
06-03-2013, 06:43 PM
i wud never wait wit the binoc i wait by sitting on a bucket but my line is always in the water or if the fish are hittn funny i will stand and hold my rod and wait that way but never stand around like that i am always fishin except the time to knock back a cold one or take a leak

Monty
06-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Waiters, awesome way to describe the fishing pretenders.

storminsteve
06-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Well I see no one has posted pics so here goes.
This guy was on the popular street in long branch sunday. I made a stop on the way home from somoco where I fished and caught some blues. None of these guys were fishing they were all standing around. I didn't stick around too long but all I could see were waiters. i would hate to live on that street. Even with the no parking signs there were guys all over. It won't be too soon before we cant fish anywhere because of people like this.

This guy with the mercedes parked his car at the end of the street, in what normally would be a no parking zone. He left his car running and got out and spent 10 minutes looking at the water. He didn't even park the way normal people would. He left his car cate-corner, you can see how it juts out into the street.
The people who live there must be boiling mad over this. I would never stand for it. I don't understand why these guys don't show at least the minumum of respect to the people that live on that street. The police should come and ticket them all!

No one else has any pics?

jigfreak
06-03-2013, 07:53 PM
I know that street. It is the only one that has no parking signs along both sides. There should not even be folks parked at the end like that. Bunch of idiots. No respect. You are right they will ruin it for us all. I don't think they really care, though. It is all about them. They have no regard for the people who live there as you said.

This can't go on forever. The LB pd should have been all over that writing tickets.

storminsteve
06-03-2013, 08:01 PM
This can't go on forever. The LB pd should have been all over that writing tickets.

That's exactly my point. It was like these guys parked here were at some hippie folk festival or something. Camped out waiting for the band to go on stage. This is a residential area with high end houses. I would bet the cheapest house goes for $1 million. How long will the owners put up with it? I wonder if they have called the mayor already. This can't be good for us fishermen. Once they start coming down hard on one street it will get better. The downside to that is I am afraid after they see how easy it is to put no parking signs up and make some $$ enforcing them they will do it on all the streets in long branch that are oceanside. Then deal could be next. Before you know it we will have to walk 4 blocks to get to the ocean to fish. All because of idiots like this. They were in a public place on a public street. And they were parked on a street that is clearly labeled no parking. Maybe if they see themselves on the message boards they will think about it next time. If that doesn't work I hope they all get ticketed and towed!:2flip:

I am taking more pictures every time I pass by jetty country. Cars, trucks, trash, whatever. You guys should do the same and post them here. If we can't get the long branch police to ticket these tools maybe there should be some public shame. Hope it is ok dark.

jigfreak
06-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Good deal steve. I'll try to help out with some pics the next time I'm up there.

BassBuddah
06-03-2013, 09:14 PM
In the society we live in I feel folks have lost their manners because there is not much accountability for things. We need to bring this accountability back. If any of you in NJ want to see how bad things really can get take a ride along the north shore of LI one afternoon. Anywhere from Oyster Bay to Orient. You will see that many towns don't have walk on access for fishermen. The only way to legally be on some beaches is to buy one of the township night fishing permits for that specific township. There are a great majority of streets that have no parking along the whole street when it ends at the water. I have visited NJ a few times and from the little that I saw you folks are extremely lucky. Treasure that access. It is worth fighting for. If you have to shame some careless and selfish people in fighting for that access so be it. They would not be ones you could call on if there was an access fight anyway.

I have read here a well-used quote that access lost is rarely if ever regained. If any of you folks have trouble believing it take the ride I mentioned to the North Shore one weekend and see.

robmedina
06-04-2013, 06:54 AM
This can't go on forever. The LB pd should have been all over that writing tickets. I was going to start off joking that that was my car in the pic... well anyway, my point to this post was to call the police and report them. This way the police will know that respectful fisherman do care and do not want to take advantage. it is just the few (who unfortunately ruin it for the whole)

jigfreak
06-05-2013, 10:58 PM
This was on colin archers blog hope it's ok to post ds.

After a day of organizing the boat, truck, and fly boxes I figured I would take a ride down to the beach to see if the late afternoon looked as good as this morning and to see if anyone was fishing. I did find anglers, but they were waiting and watching more than casting and catching. Blitz fishing as they call it. Getting a good groin tip spot, waiting for the bass and blues to push the bunker up and in, and they cast large poppers and plugs trying to get a strike. I stood there for a while watching each groin end get filled up with anglers ready, and waiting, to cast.
I left before anything happened, I wonder if it did?

cowherder
06-06-2013, 07:16 PM
each groin end get filled up with anglers ready, and waiting, to cast.
I left before anything happened, I wonder if it did?

Waiters thats what we are known for in nj. Get out there and fish! I would have fished sandy hook the other night if they didn't close it for the damn plovers!

williehookem
06-06-2013, 07:21 PM
^^ Seeing a pic of guys standing around like that is so stupid.

storminsteve
06-06-2013, 08:00 PM
I agree willie!
Here is another pic I took that day. this was a family of 4 just sitting on the street, playing music, waiting for the fish to come in. They might as well have brought a grill and tent. I would never do that in a residential area, Get in and get out, Get to the water. Don't **** off the people who live there. Seems so simple.

jigfreak
06-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Not sure but it looks like Buchta's jeep in front of that white truck. You can see a jeep through the front window of the open door. Was that Pullman? Those jokers should know you can't park there.http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.png
They should ticket them all.

storminsteve
06-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Jigfreak yes it was Pullman. I don't know Buckta but the truck in front of the white one was a jeep. Guy gearing up at the jeep was a white guy, in his 40's, short, skinny. If you show me a pic I could identify him.
Another guy with a mustache was talking to him. I'm not as "in the know" as to who's who of surf guys as you are so thats all I can tell you. The important thing is they should all be ticketed and towed. No parking signs all along the street and everyone ignores them.

jigfreak
06-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Steve I sent you the pic let me know.

storminsteve
06-08-2013, 03:57 PM
jigfreak yes that is him.

cowherder
02-02-2014, 08:07 PM
fishinmission you should put that allenhurst jetty pic in this thread lol!

VSdreams
02-03-2014, 12:27 PM
I saw that pic on fb. Like opening day of trout season. How is that fun?

Monty
05-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Can't believe you jersey folks do that. Doesn't make sense to me at all. Why not put a few casts in while waiting. Like they say with the lottery hey you never know.

:HappyWave:
I am seeing some waiters out on Long Island too.
Reminds me of Monkey see....Monkey do

J Barbosa
05-25-2014, 07:41 PM
:HappyWave:
I am seeing some waiters out on Long Island too.
Reminds me of Monkey see....Monkey do

They Jersey waiters will all be gone in another month. These guys come out of their basements and fish two months a year tops.

Almost worse is the boaters who don't know how to find their own fish. Once the fluke season opens we see it all the time. One boat sets up to the next and then another one follows. Before you know it there are 15 boats all drifting the same area and the bottom has no structure.

DarkSkies
07-03-2014, 04:11 PM
^ I never understood the mentality of guys who were only out there fishing 2 months a year, John. :huh:

There were some interesting pics circulating around in the last 30 days,.....here's one taken by a friend and sent to me......:HappyWave:

hookset
07-04-2014, 11:52 AM
^^^^^ This is what fishing has become in NJ. Waiting for the blitz. You can see at least some guys are trying. The others only see posibilities when fish are crashing in front of them. smh

finchaser
07-04-2014, 03:05 PM
Hey Wait that's me and the old farts posse in that picture^^^^ :ROFLMAO only kidding :HappyWave:what a waste of time.

storminsteve
07-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Duh. I actually clicked on that to see what the legendary finchaser looks like. Would imagine you guys would be like the wise old sages on the beach. Only in that picture I did not see any old folks. Guess you did not get the cell phone call that day. I'm not on the cell phone intel chain either so don't feel bad.:)

DarkSkies
07-05-2014, 04:57 PM
^ Couldn't have been the OGB. There is no one in that pic yelling and screaming like a Grouchy Old Basstard. :argue: :HappyWave:
Plus, he has an intel chain that a Roman Emperor's army would be jealous of.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8004-Finchaser-s-new-fishing-service-Get-the-details-here-ahead-of-the-crowd

jigfreak
07-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Take all the bunker away and you would have no striped bass fishing in jersey. 90% of the internet heroes would quit. The charter capts would have to fish for fluke. seabass, and tog on the short times it is open. They would not be able to buy a 2nd house in brigantine or marco island. Oh the horror.

Monty
07-05-2014, 06:53 PM
Take all the bunker away and you would have no striped bass fishing in jersey. 90% of the internet heroes would quit. The charter capts would have to fish for fluke. seabass, and tog on the short times it is open. They would not be able to buy a 2nd house in brigantine or marco island. Oh the horror.
Or...For some of us.
Elation.

hookset
10-30-2014, 05:34 PM
Saw plenty of these when I left to go to work this morning. All along the seawall from sea bright to long branch. Standing around like oompa loompas with binocs and not fishing just waiting. I only got one bass but hey at least I tried instead of waiting for someone else to catch.

surferman
10-31-2014, 04:17 PM
Its so confusing why guys will do that. What is the joy of catching when you have to use someone else to locate them for you? just get out and fish. If you get the skunk you earned it. When you find fish you get the reward too. Has out country become that skewed that guys want everything handed to them on a silver platter. Why the laziness?

Monty
10-31-2014, 07:40 PM
just get out and fish. If you get the skunk you earned it. When you find fish you get the reward too. Has out country become that skewed that guys want everything handed to them on a silver platter. Why the laziness?

Its crazy. I hate it when I have to stop casting and go home.
You summed it up, "just get out and fish". Enjoy the time on the water. Find fish, stop mugging others.
Earn that skunk.:thumbsup:

nitestrikes
10-13-2015, 07:23 PM
Its crazy. I hate it when I have to stop casting and go home.
You summed it up, "just get out and fish". Enjoy the time on the water. Find fish, stop mugging others.

x2 I agree. Fishing blitzes is not that hard or challenging. OTW magazine had an article about the when someone "missed the blitz fishing'-

The Five Stages of Missed-The-Blitz Grief

by Jimmy Fee (http://www.onthewater.com/author/jimmy-fee/) | August 12, 2015 Never before have surf-fishermen been able to know, in realtime, just how much incredible surf-fishing they were missing while working, sleeping, and spending time with family. Just a few years ago, a fisherman could have gone about his day happy, oblivious to the bass and bluefish mayhem happening nearby. Today, if he isn't alerted to the blitz by a text message, he's bombarded by reports and pictures on social media.

But don't worry, Jimmy's here to help. No one has more experience sleeping through alarms and working during blitzes than Yours Truly, so I'm going to walk you through the five stages of missed-the-blitz grief.

Stage One: Denial
"It probably wasn't that good."
Skepticism is our first impulse when hearing any fish story. That guy who tweeted about having tired arms from reeling in fish probably has weak arms.
The dude who Instagrammed the picture of his "extreme striper thumb," probably took a piece of sandpaper to it.
Right? Wrong. It was that good.

Stage Two: Anger
"Don't these people work?!"
While you're tethered to a desk from 9 to 5, the retired and the unemployed are catching striped bass. Sure, you hit the beach at sunrise that morning, but the bass decided they weren?t going to push the bunker over the sandbar until 10:00 a.m., and that makes you mad. Mad at the stripers, mad at the people catching them, and mad that your Powerball numbers never get called so you can retire early and join the legion of midday, responsibility free fishermen sipping coffee from Dunkin and waiting for that banker's hours blitz to begin.

Stage Three: Delusion
"I don't want to catch those easy blitz fish anyhow."
Yes, you do. Everybody does. You can try to fool yourself that you find it way more satisfying to catch stripers on a desolate beach under a clear night sky - but that argument only works if you are actually catching stripers on a desolate beach under a clear night sky, and that bite dried up as soon as the daytime blitzes started.

Stage Four: Depression
"That's it! I'm taking up golf."
I've never known a surfcaster to resort to such extreme measures, but it's a common threat, often leveled at the depths of the missed-blitz depression. It's impossible not to feel down about missing the bite. After all, your neighbor who fishes twice a year caught a 30-pounder, so imagine how well you would have done.

Stage Five: Optimism
"The stripers will be back tomorrow, and I will be there."
You have sick days to burn and the conditions are looking exactly the same for the next few days. You've come full circle since the blitz texts started rolling in, and like every good surffisherman, the most important thing in your arsenal - more important than your Van Staal or your intimate knowledge of wind and tides - is the optimism that the fish will be there tomorrow.

http://www.onthewater.com/the-five-stages-of-missed-the-blitz-grief/

madcaster
10-14-2015, 09:44 AM
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19726&stc=1My new fishing tools .....fish smart .....not hard

cowherder
10-14-2015, 12:00 PM
Hope that was sarcastic madcaster! Its amazing how you have these rare times when you find stripers or blues to yourself. Some guy with binocs or a cell phone is up on the beach reporting to his buddies. A half hour later the beach is filled with muggers. I would like to take those cell phones or binocs and smash them with a sledgehammer.:bonk:

jigfreak
10-14-2015, 01:12 PM
You're too nice in your words. Anyone who uses cell phone gangs to find fish is a rainbow ball bag s***er. Be glad to say that to the face of anyone who think's its OK.

finchaser
10-15-2015, 10:16 AM
You're too nice in your words. Anyone who uses cell phone gangs to find fish is a rainbow ball bag s***er. Be glad to say that to the face of anyone who think's its OK.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

seamonkey
10-15-2015, 11:39 AM
x2! :clapping::clapping:Well-said!! The cell phone guys are usually the ones that only fish 2 months of the year because of reports or there buddies blow up there phones telling them hey man get out here its on! Lazy asses I hope they all get Aids! If you don't want to put in time and look for fish then quit and take up golf or knitting.

plugcrazy
10-15-2015, 12:33 PM
I agree I can't stand dudes like that. They say that 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish. That is because the other 90% of the fishermen are not out there fishing. They are sitting at home waiting for a hot report to be posted so they can go out and chase it. JMO

jigfreak
10-15-2015, 02:30 PM
:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Thanks for the applause. I believe a man should do what he says and if you are real you live your life by your words. I have run into jokers like cell phone gangs in the past. When that happens and they come in to mug me and my friends, I figure out the leader's car or truck and make a mental note of who the d-bag is. The next time I see that car or truck I will go over and take a long pi** on the door handle. If you are one of those d-bags and you go to open your car or truck door one day and you feel wetness and it hasn't rained, do yourself a favor. Do not lick your fingers they will taste very salty.

basshunter
10-15-2015, 02:37 PM
LOLOL love that! Dude you have ballz!

storminsteve
10-15-2015, 02:55 PM
have run into jokers like cell phone gangs in the past. The next time I see that car or truck I will go over and take a long pi** on the door handle. If you are one of those d-bags and you go to open your car or truck door one day and you feel wetness and it hasn't rained, do yourself a favor. Do not lick your fingers they will taste very salty.

"Do yourself a favor do not lick your fingers."
Quote of the month! I would love to buy you a beer someday. Like you said you do what you say. Kudos!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

jigfreak
10-21-2016, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the kind words Steve. I'll take that beer as long as it isn't one of the ghey new age brews they drink in ***-bury.

jigfreak
10-21-2016, 12:30 PM
Was just thinking with all the jetties gone the waiters may fade into history. Unless you count long branch and sandy hook where the guys still stand with binoculars waiting for the bent rods on the beach.

cowherder
11-18-2016, 08:35 PM
I saw so many of the waiters today I thought they were posing for a fashion fishing magazine lol

fishinmission78
11-19-2016, 06:03 AM
I love seeing those guys. Usually they have all the latest in gear and remind me of feminine peacocks preening for the other peacocks.
they're standing around like there's no fish, then you go down and catch one and prove them wrong and they come running. But THEY are the cool guys? Haha

hookedonbass
11-19-2016, 06:11 AM
They believe they are too cool to work at catching. Fat and lazy, hah.

hookset
11-19-2016, 10:51 AM
Go down to the famous Jetty in AH and you can see them standing there all the time. Most of them are club members. when you are an elite guy you just to the waiting and watching. You don't even break a sweat until someone catches a 20-pounder ROFL.