PDA

View Full Version : condition of NJ surf after trop storm andrea?

robmedina
06-07-2013, 06:33 PM
What will this storm do to the surf fishing conditions? I have read before that heavy rain will shut down the bite for a couple days. Is that my answer?

buckethead
06-07-2013, 09:31 PM
^^ Depends on if you fish bait or artificials rob. Fishing clams is a good bet if you fish bait as the rain and big SE swell will churn up the seas and some clam beds. It also brings cold and diirty water which is why folks may not do that well on artificials.
which do you prefer?

robmedina
06-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Well my preference is artificials, however, I come from a freshwater background and am quite comfortable with lures in that vein. Saltwater fishing is something I always dabbled (when I say dabbled I mean surf fished or boat fished once in a blue moon) and am really starting to learn more. I feel more comfortable right now fishing bait and get excited about it. I do however, as time and experience progress, want to transition into artificials. That being said- thanks for the tip on clams. I am going tonight and will stop and grab some clams on my way out.

porgy75
06-08-2013, 05:04 PM
I would think there should be lots of clams on the beach too?

nitestrikes
06-08-2013, 05:27 PM
rob I don't know nj surf that well. Sorry if this is not more tailored to the fishing you will be doing. The rule of thumb I use is where will the wind be coming from and across the water. The harder the wind the worse it can be afterward. also if you are near a place where the storm water dumps into that area would be something I would stay away from. It can take up to 4 tide cycles to clean surf up after a bad storm

nitestrikes
06-08-2013, 05:29 PM
I would think there should be lots of clams on the beach too?

Yep happens a lot with a ne or se blow