PDA

View Full Version : Re: St Croix 8.5 ft Wild River rod Review

vpass
06-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Fished from 6:30 to ?. LOL :)

Thanks again for all the help Vpass :HappyWave:...the pressure is now off the fly rod and I will probably put it away until we see an abundance of small bait around.

I used my new rod a bought for fluke. called wild river from St. Croix, it's a 8.5 foot rod rated for 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz. I love this rod. and would recommand it was fun fighting blues with it.

basshunter
06-06-2013, 07:36 PM
I used my new rod a bought for fluke. called wild river from St. Croix, it's a 8.5 foot rod rated for 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz. I love this rod. and would recommand it was fun fighting blues with it.

I wonder if I could ask you about this rod vpass. If it says 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz would you only throw 1 1/2 as the max or would you feel comforable throwing something bigger.

vpass
06-06-2013, 07:52 PM
I wonder if I could ask you about this rod vpass. If it says 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz would you only throw 1 1/2 as the max or would you feel comforable throwing something bigger.

The knuckle head popper was the heaviest lure I casted last night, and it handle it with no problem. I'm not sure of the weight, I think the weight is around 1 1/2 oz. It would make a great schoolie rod.

The jig head I was casting weight about 5/8 oz and could believe how far I casted it.:heart:

porgy75
06-06-2013, 07:56 PM
I just saw this and would like to ask you a question too. If you threw something that was 2 oz or 2 1/2 oz could you break the rod with it. I know the answer is probably yes but was wondering what basshunter said how much bigger could you throw without chances of breaking the rod. Thank you

vpass
06-06-2013, 08:01 PM
I just saw this and would like to ask you a question too. If you threw something that was 2 oz or 2 1/2 oz could you break the rod with it. I know the answer is probably yes but was wondering what basshunter said how much bigger could you throw without chances of breaking the rod. Thank you

:don't know why: I wouldn't go over 2 oz. The next time out with the rod i'll try it an report back.

J Barbosa
06-07-2013, 10:49 AM
I wonder if I could ask you about this rod vpass. If it says 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz would you only throw 1 1/2 as the max or would you feel comfortable throwing something bigger.

The knuckle head popper was the heaviest lure I casted last night, and it handle it with no problem. I'm not sure of the weight, I think the weight is around 1 1/2 oz. It would make a great schoolie rod.

The jig head I was casting weight about 5/8 oz and could believe how far I casted it.:heart:

:don't know why: I wouldn't go over 2 oz. The next time out with the rod i'll try it an report back.

I have owned the exact rod for a while now as well as the heavier rated version (...lets say that mine are most likely outside the five year warranty period already).

Its a great schoolie rod as Vpass mentioned and it really excels with the light stuff. Throw on a 4000 sized reel with 20lb braid and its a casting beast for lures in the .5oz - 1oz range. Its also a great rod for fluke fishing as well and my goto surf fluking rod. I regularly cast 2-3oz plus a clam in the spring or a gulp rig in the summer. 3oz is really pushing it and its just a soft lob but thats okay as I don't need distance. The key with the heavier weights is to start winding up slow and finish fast. I wouldn't recommend going over 1.5oz unless you are highly confident in your casting ability. I have caught bass up to 20lbs on this rod in the back bay with no problems.

I will say that since they are steelhead rods they have a lot of give (they were built with this intention) and I feel at times can lack the backbone to set the hook into the jaw of a bigger bass.

Vpass, I know yesterday was the first day with the rod but don't be afraid to tighten that drag a little more and really drive those hooks home on the hookset.

Now for the heavier version of the rod - I don't like it that much, I find it to be too stiff but my brother loves it but he likes fishing heavier lures while I prefer the lighter stuff. The only thing I like this rod for is snagging bunker but I have a friend who swears by it and throws stuff as light as 1/4 oz.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I recently got my hands on a St. Croix 8' surf avid and I am in love with it for light to moderate sized plugs. It handles the light sub 1oz stuff incredibly well yet launches a 2-3oz metal out of sight. I really wish St. Croix made the same rod in a 9ft model.

With all the talk about light plugging rods I should also mention the two older standbys that will forever be the "bomber" rods of NJ IMO: Lami Ron Arra 1083 and GSB1081L

storminsteve
06-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Very informative gents thanks!

nitestrikes
06-10-2016, 08:44 AM
I agree with using this for a schoolie or fluke rod. I use mine early and later in the year when the fish are smaller.