PDA

View Full Version : Dogfish are junk fish

robmedina
06-11-2013, 09:07 PM
I think not. http://na.nefsc.noaa.gov/sharks/dogfishpress.html

storminsteve
06-14-2013, 05:54 PM
"Standard fin tags called rototags will be used during the project and will include a toll-free number for reporting required recapture information -- tag number, fork length, date, and location. Anyone who captures a tagged fish and returns complete information can earn either a $20 cash reward for one of the 27,000 white tags or a $100 cash reward for one of the 3,000 "high reward" orange tags.
Recaptures of fish injected with OTC and fish with two tag types -- a rototag and a dart tag -- will require return of the whole fish for a $100 cash reward (3,000 green tags). This will ensure that the OTC-marked vertebrae and spines are received and allow the condition of the tag in the fish to be examined. Whole fish to be returned should be iced or frozen. Shipping instructions will be provided upon contact."

So if you get an green or orange tag you are a winner.
Green is harder because somehow you have to return the whole fish to them. That could get messy.:upck:
Maybe I should start tarteting them too rob. Not a bad idea.

robmedina
06-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Green tags are going back, LOL I am not messing with that. When I told my wife about it she said " You better get out there and catch some fish!" LOL!

baitstealer
07-01-2013, 12:15 PM
So if you get an green or orange tag you are a winner.
Green is harder because somehow you have to return the whole fish to them. That could get messy.:upck:
Maybe I should start tarteting them too rob. Not a bad idea.

Has anyone caught any of these tagged doggies and returned them for the bucks yet?

captnemo
08-05-2013, 05:03 PM
baitstealer a guy at my marina did. He said he got back $20 for one of the white tags. if you ask me it was one of the worst decisions they ever made to protect them. They are on every reef and piece from 1/4 mile to 100 miles offshore. They have become the dominant species in those environments. The only predator they have to fear is big sharks. With the numbers of big sharks not growing I think folks will look back 10 years from now and realize the protective regulations were one of the biggest mistakes in marine science in the last 2 decades.

finchaser
08-05-2013, 06:29 PM
What he^^^ said they decimated many juvenile fish and now have adapted to most temperatures of water. NOAA and the NMFS protected them because they were not used for anything except fish and chips in England and would recover quickly. This gave them an A plus as there best success story to date since, they have failed at every type of fish management except bass. They are letting bass get destroyed in a futile attempt to save other species some of which are rebuilt (sea bass) because there a_s is on the line.