PDA

View Full Version : What is the definition of being "skunked" mean to you?

Monty
06-17-2013, 07:00 AM
What do you consider being skunked?

surfstix1963
06-17-2013, 07:54 AM
Not catching a damn thing is my answer, despite your best efforts a fish is a fish and it sure beats the hell out of casting all day for nada....

DarkSkies
06-17-2013, 11:22 AM
^I'm with surfstix.....:HappyWave:

A lot of us start with the intention of catching a bass....if that doesn't work out I'm happy to catch blues or other species....even cownose rays...(note....the first time one larger than 40# spools me and it takes me an hour to get in I will feel differently..:whoo:..so far have been catching baby cownoses...and they are manageable and a little fun...;) )

The most miserable trip for me is being out there for hours at a time, without any action at all....
So I welcome activity from other species during such times, even though I'm not targeting them. :fishing:

dogfish
06-17-2013, 12:08 PM
I like to fish for bass. Catching a gator blue is nice when the drag screams. Also like the weakies but we don't see too many of them around these parts. The funniest option of all is "this option is not allowed".;)

williehookem
06-17-2013, 01:10 PM
There is a phrase thats why its called fishing not catching. Bass are #1 on the list. Catching anything else makes it more bearable. I agree with some of the comments. No hits or taps at all is the real skunk.

buckethead
06-17-2013, 01:59 PM
I fished during the moratorium. You would go out to fish for bluefish, or fluke, or anything. Catching a bass was like catching a 15 lb weakfish now. It was a rarity. It happened by accident and you could not count on it. It was something where you just got lucky and it happened. I am grateful for any fish I catch.

hookset
06-17-2013, 03:37 PM
^ I agree buckethead. Just happy to catch. Big is always better but there are no guarantees out there.

seamonkey
06-17-2013, 05:31 PM
I didnt put dogfish in my vote because you can always catch them in cape may. There are way too many. Any of y'all who want to avoid the skunk just come on down to cape may and help us clean out the dogfish lol.

finchaser
06-17-2013, 09:22 PM
Nothing fishing is always good it's catching that sucks sometimes

crosseyedbass
08-01-2013, 04:36 PM

True dat!

finchaser
08-01-2013, 05:15 PM
also fishing down wind of Dark

robmedina
08-03-2013, 08:21 PM
also fishing down wind of Dark LOL!

Skunked= no fish at all.

surferman
08-05-2013, 04:40 PM
LOL!

Skunked= no fish at all.

X2, getting out there is the reward, catching fish is a bonus.

lostatsea
09-07-2013, 03:07 PM

Amen, The chance to get out there, sun in your face, hoping for good seas and weather. We fish when we can and to be able to do it is good therapy. There are all sorts of internet threads about planning and figuring. Spend too much time doing that and you won't be fishing, Just get out there. Good thread.