View Full Version : why will Stripers always hit clam?

baitstealer
06-27-2013, 05:15 PM
I have read a lot of threads on here about the different bites and learned from them. The worm hatch, the crabs raking in the summer, the bunker blitzes. Honestly sometimes I use bunker and get a lot of dogfish and skates. They do seem to like the clams though. There were some people who said you should fish them after a north easter because the clams from the bottom were all tossed about and that sounded smart. I agree.
My question is why clams will produce bass when other baits wont, especially in the summer when it is hot?
Why do they stop hitting lures? thanks guys.

storminsteve
06-27-2013, 05:32 PM
It is one of the most common foods they see out there, That and mole crabs.

plugginpete
06-27-2013, 06:24 PM
You are giving them free protein without any bones or skin attached. Like if someone was feeding you filet minyon one bite at a time.

finchaser
06-27-2013, 06:58 PM
I've been in many rain fish and peanut bunker blitz's where the snot slingers sat there and watched and never had a bump. Back in the day clams were only fished after a northeaster today many guys strictly fish them because it's easy and they can't catch a bass any other way except maybe snag and drop.

surfstix1963
06-28-2013, 04:46 AM
I hate bait other then live eels,bait and wait BORING.....As mentioned above by Fin, after a storm the clams are all busted open and they feed on them any other time they are just like any other bait waiting for a fish to find it you can't cover much ground that way. But whatever floats your boat.

baitstealer
06-28-2013, 06:20 PM
I've been in many rain fish and peanut bunker blitz's where the snot slingers sat there and watched and never had a bump. Back in the day clams were only fished after a northeaster today many guys strictly fish them because it's easy and they can't catch a bass any other way except maybe snag and drop.

Wow thanks for sharing your opinions guys I never thought of that!