PDA

View Full Version : Gloves when fishing are you afraid to touch the fish?

nitestrikes
06-12-2009, 01:24 PM
I am seeing a lot of guys using disposable gloves now when fishing. I don't know if any ethnic group does it more than others. All I know is I see it more, and a lot of them are the green disposable gloves.

2 questions....

Why green?
Would you, or do you wear disposable rubber gloves, why or why not?

storminsteve
06-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Real men don't need gloves. :D

jimbob
06-12-2009, 06:49 PM
I don't use gloves, But I notice there are a lot of discarded rubber gloves all over the beach. It is just another bunch of garbage I have to pick up when I visit my beach.

HerringRollins
06-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Gloves? You've got to be kidding! I wonder if they call their mommy and tell her what time they are coming home?

hookedonbass
07-01-2013, 12:35 PM
I have noticed more and more fishermen will wear gloves when out there and fishing. You know the kind I am talking about the disposable latex gloves. I see this a lot around the piers and some inlets because when they leave they just throw them on the ground. Most often they are the blue type latex gloves.
When did this start happening and why? Do fish have cooties or are the guys just wussies?:don't know why:

bababooey
07-01-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm going to go with the we are all wussies answer hookedonbass. I don't wear gloves while I fish. When leadering a tuna in that is different. Strong gloves are a must. I do wear them when filleting fish. Guess that puts me in the wussy category.:laugh:

jigfreak
07-01-2013, 01:04 PM
BB I understand wearing gloves to bring a tuna in. Totally ok with that.
HOB I have seen the same guys at the inlets. Most of them are bait fishers and don't want to touch the bait they are using.
Let me get this straight - You don't want to touch the bait but you will eat the fish? Looking for the dudes with manginas, look no further.

rockhopper
07-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Those purple gloves like the ones they use in the hospitals? Yup I have seen them too. Crazy. I don't know if it is an ethnic thing but a lot of the spanish and asian guys fishing the inlets and the Point use them. Have seen white guys using them too. Doesn't make sense to me either.

paco33
07-01-2013, 02:50 PM
I am Spanish and appreciate you including other ethnic groups in there rockhopper. Sick of getting all the flack. There are small groups of fishermen out there that are disrespectful. Some have the trash can 20 feet away from them and are too lazy to dump it in they just leave it to the side.
This gets to me. Don't folks have an appreciation of this country and how beautiful it is? If you see something like this yell at them. Make them feel bad about littering. Or tell the local cop if one is around. The reason we have so much littering is people will not speak up when it happens. I always do.

basshunter
07-01-2013, 03:37 PM
I have noticed it too mostly around piers and inlets. Wearing those gloves is like you are getting ready to do a proctoligical exam. Cmon guys it's fishing not anal exploration!

J Barbosa
07-02-2013, 10:48 AM
My mom is guilty of wearing these in March and April when the water temps are freezing. Throw them on underneath some regular gloves and it helps keep your hands much warmer.

As for the wussie factor I am pretty sure she doesn't qualify. I don't know of many women who can slaughter, gut and clean their own fish, chickens, cows and pigs. I don't think my dad has ever cleaned a fish in our house.

There is no reason why anyone wearing a pair of gloves can't carry them out when they are done fishing; these gloves weight next to nothing.

Littering sucks no matter what race or ethnicity is creating it.

robmedina
07-02-2013, 01:15 PM
I am Spanish too but I actually don't wear them. I am far to cheap to buy them! I would wear them though if I could not get to water to wash my hands after baiting the lines. I hate getting that rank fish smell on my clothes and my truck.

buckethead
07-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Different generation out there today. Some think fishing is icky. You can tell it when a guy catches a fish and kicks it back in the water. Too much trouble to do it with the hands I guess. Rob I have always found lemon juice to be helpful when you have been fishing for a few hours and need a good solution to clean up. Makes everything fresh and clean smelling no hassles.

Fishman
07-04-2013, 03:32 PM
I don't wear gloves, if you think fishing is icky then stay the hell home!!

great_white_hunter
07-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Started this with the addition of kids to the family. I keep a package of baby wipes in the car. When I get to the car after fishing I use a few to clean my hands. Helps with the smell and also allows me to eat something. Only time I wear gloves is when its cold and I use a pair of 1/2 finger gloves.

basshunter
08-15-2013, 11:19 AM
My mom is guilty of wearing these in March and April when the water temps are freezing. Throw them on underneath some regular gloves and it helps keep your hands much warmer.

As for the wussie factor I am pretty sure she doesn't qualify. I don't know of many women who can slaughter, gut and clean their own fish, chickens, cows and pigs. I don't think my dad has ever cleaned a fish in our house.

There is no reason why anyone wearing a pair of gloves can't carry them out when they are done fishing; these gloves weight next to nothing.

Littering sucks no matter what race or ethnicity is creating it.

Dude if your Mom fishes with you she must be a cool lady without a doubt! Have read a lot of your reports on here. I don't think there are a lot of families that all fish together like that. Looks like they gave you a good foundation for fishing and good family values, props to them and you!

I did find these gloves on the beach when I was fishing last time.
I agree it is stupid for people to litter like that!