PDA

View Full Version : NJMFC to Consider Extending our Fluke Season

Angler Paul
03-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Below are the options that were just released today followedby my comments.

Option

Size Limit (inches)

Bag Limit

Open Season

# days open

2012 regs

May 5 – September 28

May 11 – September 4

May 18 – September 16

May 24 – September 22

May 25 – October 2

May 18 – September 26

May 1 – September 12

Committee preferred option - #2

In 2012 the option that was favored by the NewJersey Marine Fisheries Council Fluke Committee Members was for a 170 dayseason with an 8 fish bag limit and an 18”size limit. However, a slight majority of the public spoke in favor of reducingthe season to 147 days with a bag limit of only 5 fish so that the size limitcould be lowered to 17 ½”.
The commercialrepresentatives, who outnumber the recreational representatives on the
Council then madea motion to favor that alternative and it became law despite the fact
that ourrecreational representatives voted against it.
I attended the advisors meeting last weekthe NJMFC committee now favors
reducing last years season length an additional 25 days. Ispoke in favor of increasing the size limit to 18” so that we could have a longer seasonbut I was in the minority. The option I liked best would have been for a seasonthat ran from 5/4-9/29 with an 18”size limit and a 5 fish bag limit. That would have resulted in a 149 dayseason. Despite the fact that this option was approved by the Atlantic StatesMarine Fisheries Council, it was removed from the list of those that will makeit to the public hearing. This is due to concerns from the majority of advisorsand council members present that a season that long might result in usexceeding our quota.
The majority of those at the advisorsmeeting were in favor of keeping the size limit at
17 ½” with abag limit of 5. Most favored the optionthat would do that while keeping
the season openthough 9/22. However, some representatives who were mostly from the
southern partof the State or back bay fishermen requested an earlier opening to the
season. Thereis also a possibility that after all the states have set their regulations, the
ASMFC mightallow New York and New Jersey to further relax their regulations if there
appears thatthere might me a coast wide estimated underage. Most advisors spoke
againstutilizing it if it became available for fear of it causing us to exceed ourquota. I
urged thecouncil to take a least partial advantage of it if it becomes available. I
mentioned thatwe are more likely to underfish our quota this year as there will be far less
participation.This is due to the fact that many of our marinas, private boats and coastal
homes weredevastated by Hurricane Sandy.
The Council’s preferred option is for aseason from 5/18-9/16. It will be hard to
change thatunless a big majority of us show up at the Council meeting to support a
longer seasonor at least one that extends the season further into September. It should be
noted that in prior years that we would havehad to give up 2-3 days in May to gain one
day inSeptember. This year their statistics show that it would be a one for one swap.
I also asked if there could be any optionscould be developed that would allow us to
return to an 8fish bag limit. I was told that there was insufficient data to increase the bag
limit this yearwith any of the options. I then requested that data be gathered so that we
might be ableto increase the bag limit in the future.
Below are some of the points that I madein support of the longer season. I intend to
bring them upagain at the Council meeting:

1.)Having a longer season is most beneficial for our various fisheries. When thefluke season is closed many fishermen are forced to target other species suchas stripers, sea bass, and blackfish. This may put undue pressure on thesespecies as well as others and cause us to exceed our quotas for some of them. We urge you to consider the effects that ashorter season for one species may have on other species.

2.) It is imperative that we have a fluke seasonthat will extend well into the fall because the other species that we normallyfish for then will be closed. More specifically, blackfish will either beclosed or there may be a limit of just one. Compounding the issue further itthe fact that fishing for sea bass is expected to be closed from 10/15 to 11/1.In recent years stripers have not been arriving in force until November so ifthe fluke season is not open further into the fall there will be virtuallynothing for surfcasters and inshore fishermen to fish for. If there is nothingto fish for in our state at that time, some of us will fish in others states ornot fish at all. It is particularly important for surfcasters to be able tofish for fluke late into the fall as many of us believe that our best chance ofcatching a couple keepers occurs during the fall mullet run.

3.) The fall is a time when manyof those who target doormats have a good chance at success. The big fish havefattened up over the summer and are on the feed as they stop at wrecks andrough spots as they migrate offshore. As is the case with surf fishermen, thistraditional fishery has been taken away from the trophy fishermen in somerecent years.

4.) A longer season is better forthe economy simply because it gives everyone regardless of whether they aresurfcasters, private boaters or charter and party boat fishermen more days tofish. For example consider the impact it might have on tackle stores, who caterto surf fishermen, if their customers are left with nothing to fish for in theearly fall. This is particularly true this year as shore area businessesstruggle to recover from the hurricane.

5.) Weather is more of a factorwhen the seasons are shorter. A sustained period of bad weather can bedisastrous during a shortened season. A longer season provides everyone withmore of an opportunity to reschedule trips that had been cancelled due to badweather.

6.) A 17 ½” – 18” fluke is really hard to catch. I was out on the water manydays last year and in fact logged in numerous fluke trips for the NJ volunteeranglers survey. I might have caught 5 or 6 fluke between 17 ½” and 18” the entire season. Giving up many additional days of fishing just to be able to keep anoccasional 17 ½” – 18”fluke is not worth it.

Regardless if you agree with me ornot, it is important to attend the Council meeting and voice youropinions. The fluke regulations aregoing to be voted on by the Council immediately after the public commentperiod. The meeting will be held at 4Pm on 3/7 at
the GallowayTownship Library on Jimmie Leeds Rd. in Absecon.

PaulHaertel
2ndVP JCAA
NJOArepresentative
BerleleyStriper Club member
NJBBAmember

bababooey
03-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Below are the options that were just released today followedby my comments.

Option

Size Limit (inches)

Bag Limit

Open Season

# days open

2012 regs

May 5 – September 28

May 11 – September 4

May 18 – September 16

May 24 – September 22

May 25 – October 2

May 18 – September 26

May 1 – September 12

Committee preferred option - #2

Ispoke in favor of increasing the size limit to 18” so that we could have a longer seasonbut I was in the minority. The option I liked best would have been for a seasonthat ran from 5/4-9/29 with an 18”size limit and a 5 fish bag limit. That would have resulted in a 149 dayseason. Despite the fact that this option was approved by the Atlantic StatesMarine Fisheries Council, it was removed from the list of those that will makeit to the public hearing. This is due to concerns from the majority of advisorsand council members present that a season that long might result in usexceeding our quota.
The majority of those at the advisorsmeeting were in favor of keeping the size limit at
17 ½” with abag limit of 5. Most favored the optionthat would do that while keeping
the season openthough 9/22. However, some representatives who were mostly from the
southern partof the State or back bay fishermen requested an earlier opening to the
season. . The meeting will be held at 4Pm on 3/7 at

PaulHaertel
2ndVP JCAA
NJOArepresentative
NJBBAmember

Thanks for the report Angler Paul. I would have preferred the longer season as well. Seems we butt heads with the guys from south jersey every year. Up here the fluke are too small early season. The best fishing is at the end and I hate to miss out on that. I suppose there is nothing else you can do?
thanks for the updates,.

Monty
03-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Angler Paul, your points on the longer season make a lot of sense.
Unfortunately now a days 'THINGS THAT MAKE SENSE" seem to be of little value.

finchaser
03-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Option 2 is the one most clubs,shops and boats are in favor of this year , as coastal storms usually kill the longer season as they did in 2011 and 12. Also the southern guy's bit_ch they can't catch an 18 inch fish. The biggest mistake was giving up 2 fish last year for a smaller size which we will never see again thanks to the guy's in south Jersey who primarily fish the bay.

So whose coming to the meeting????????????????????????????

DarkSkies
03-05-2013, 08:44 AM
4.) A longer season is better forthe economy simply because it gives everyone regardless of whether they aresurfcasters, private boaters or charter and party boat fishermen more days tofish. For example consider the impact it might have on tackle stores, who caterto surf fishermen, if their customers are left with nothing to fish for in theearly fall. This is particularly true this year as shore area businessesstruggle to recover from the hurricane.

5.) Weather is more of a factorwhen the seasons are shorter. A sustained period of bad weather can bedisastrous during a shortened season. A longer season provides everyone withmore of an opportunity to reschedule trips that had been cancelled due to badweather.
Regardless if you agree with me ornot, it is important to attend the Council meeting and voice youropinions. The fluke regulations aregoing to be voted on by the Council immediately after the public commentperiod.

The meeting will be held at 4Pm on 3/7
at

PaulHaertel
2ndVP JCAA
NJOArepresentative
NJBBAmember

Angler Paul, your points on the longer season make a lot of sense.
Unfortunately now a days 'THINGS THAT MAKE SENSE" seem to be of little value.

. The biggest mistake was giving up 2 fish last year for a smaller size which we will never see again thanks to the guy's in south Jersey who primarily fish the bay.
So whose coming to the meeting????????????????????????????

Angler Paul, thanks as always for your hard work, attending the meetings, and keeping folks informed. :HappyWave: I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to say hello at the Berleley Show Sunday.

I will try to shift some things around and to make that meeting on Thursday.
I know the early meeting time is tough, folks. It will be tough for me too. I may not be able to make it but will try.
If you fish for fluke, here is your chance to have your voice heard.

Thanks to all for the updates and for trying to make a difference. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

hookset
03-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Thank you for posting that angler paul

captnemo
03-07-2013, 06:33 PM
I just read that they picked option 2. Don't know if it's true or not. Seems like a fair balance.

May 18 – September 16

bababooey
03-07-2013, 07:46 PM
I can live with it.Thanks for the info Capt!

Angler Paul
07-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Below is an article I wrote pertaining to the fluke situation. It is followed by one that Tom Fote wrote a month ago. Please let me know if you will be attending this meeting and what group you represent, if any.
Most likely the NJMFC is going to add 6 days to the fluke season rather than the full 11 days most of us had hoped for. The only chance we have at getting the full 11 days will be if a lot of people from diverse groups (clubs, party boat reps, tackle store reps, etc) all show up at the council meeting and support the option to extend the season by 11 days.
The JCAA member clubs who were present at a recent meeting voted unanimously in favor of the 11 day option. NJOA did the same with the exception of 2 abstentions. NJBBA also supports this option as does the Berkeley Striper Club and many other clubs. I understand that the NJ chapter of the RFA will be taking a position of this matter in the near future. I will be representing the NJOA and BSC at the meeting.

Paul

NJMFC to Consider Extending Our Fluke Season
By Paul Haertel

The New Jersey Marine Fisheries Council (NJMFC) will decide whether or not to extend our fluke season at their upcoming meeting on 7/11/13. The meeting will be held at 4PM at the Galloway Twp. Public Library located at 306 East Jimmie Leeds Rd., Galloway, N.J.. Public comment will be accepted at the meeting prior to their decision being made. The three options being considered will be not to extend the season at all, extend it by just 6 days or extend it by the full 11 days that were approved by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMF). In the past the council has shown that they do listen attentively to the public and will usually choose the option that the majority favors even if that option is not the council's "preferred option". Therefore, if you are interested in having our fluke season extended it is important to attend this meeting and voice your opinion.
At a recent Jersey Coast Angler's Association meeting our member clubs voted unanimously to support the option that would extend the season by the full 11 days. Most of the fluke fishermen I know support this option as well but there is some resistance. Some have expressed concern about the flawed MRFSS and MRIP surveys. More specifically, some believe that accepting these extra fish will somehow make us exceed our annual quota. However, these are bonus fish that are an addition to the quota that was previously set for our state. Tom Fote and our other representatives on the ASMFC fought hard to obtain this additional quota for New Jersey. If they had not done that all of the projected underage of the quota would have been given to New York. Representatives from these two states argued over this projected underage until a compromise was hammered out. In the end New York reduced its season by 1 day and gave it to New Jersey so that we could have the full 11 day extension that we had requested. Still, New York received the bulk of the projected underage which enabled them to reduce their size limit. For the NJMFC to accept anything less than an 11 day extension might embarrass our representatives on the ASMFC while angering those from New York. Something like that could effect our commissioners ability to resolve other issues amicably in the future. Further, the ASMFC granted New Jersey 88,000 fluke to cover the additional 11 day season. Surveys from previous years have shown that fishermen in our state normally catch from 400-2000 fish a day during that time period. That should provide more than an ample buffer to ensure that this bonus quota will not be exceeded. Additionally, those catches were reported from normal years rather than a year like 2013 where participation in the fishery is expected to be down significantly due to the effects of Hurricane Sandy.
Our fluke season is currently scheduled to end on 9/16 but it could be extended to either 9/22 or 9/27. Even if the 11 day extension for the fluke season is approved it will still be 14 days shorter than it was last year. There is a similar situation with sea bass as that season was reduced by 30 days from what it was last year. After hearing of the ASMFC approval of an extension for our fluke season and in anticipation that the NJMFC would accept it, biologists from the New Jersey Bureau of Marine Fisheries (NJBMF) worked hard to develop regulations for sea bass that would ensure that both sea bass and fluke seasons would not be closed at the same time. This resulted in the sea bass season being open during various periods of time this year. However, it will be closed from 8/9-9/26. If the fluke season is not extended until 9/27 there will be number of days where the season for both species will be closed at the same time, leaving inshore fishermen little to fish for. Obviously, this would be detrimental to charter, party and private boaters as well as the tackle stores and other businesses that fishermen support especially in a year where many of them are struggling to recover from the hurricane.
Please also read Tom Fote's article for additional information about the fluke situation. Most importantly though, please attend the NJMFC meeting and ask them to extend our season by the full 11 days.

Summer Flounder Add-On
by Tom Fote
As I reported, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission voted on a conference call to allow New Jersey to add days to the end of the summer flounder season. I voted for this because I thought it would help the heavily impacted recreational fishing industry. I also realize that the way these days are added it does not affect our original quota except to add on to the quota. I read some interesting comments in the newspaper and I think some people have a difficult time grasping how this addition is implemented. The easiest way to understand is to look at this addition of days as though it is a commercial transfer of quota from one state to another. When we transfer commercial quota it is because one state has an underused quota and allows another state to harvest that quota. It is separate poundage of fish that is transferred and has no impact on the existing quota. If that commercial fishery goes over its existing quota, it is not because of the added days but because it exceeded both the original and the additional quota. In order to do the transfer of recreational quota, ASMFC and NJ had to tabulate how many pounds of fish would be needed for each of the added days. ASMFC and New Jersey calculated that we could add a specific number of days based on the poundage available in relation to the historical catch figures. That means that in order to exceed quota, we would have to exceed the original quota and the additional quota both. Remember, those quota and catch figures are based on a normal year. Given the impact of Sandy with boats destroyed or damaged and marinas not yet in operation, there seems little possibility that this will approach a “normal” year. I know this is a stretch, but recognize that common sense would suggest that this year we will have less participation, fewer boats in the water and fewer trips than in previous years. I need to add a qualified since we are dealing with the National Marine Fisheries Service and their fatally flawed data collection system. I still continue to give good odds that we will not exceed our summer flounder quota this year. I could be surprised but I can’t believe even this system is sufficiently flawed to measure us at above quota or increasing trips. In my judgment, we should avail ourselves of the additional days.
The other reason I am supporting this addition of days is because it has the greatest impact on those who fish from the beach. When we raise the size limit, the beach anglers have very little access to legal size summer flounder except in September, October and November. We have lost October and November but adding a few days in September will give them an opportunity to catch a few summer flounder. For the boat fishermen, these additional days will give them something to fish for until the black sea bass season opens. It is a win-win.

basshunter
07-01-2013, 03:35 PM
We should definitely have the 11 instead of the 6 days. Ask any of the party boat capts fluking has been a little slow so far. Some nice ones caught but lots of small fish. That 11 days extra should give us a chance to catch some keepers. Thanks for the effort and keep up the good work

voyager35
07-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Latest results - 8 day extension

NJMFC Extends Recreational Summer Flounder Season

On 7/11/13 the New Jersey Marine Fisheries Council voted in favor of extending the recreational summer flounder season by 8 days.

The season had been slated to close on 9/16 but will now continue through 9/24. The meeting was well attended by the public and the council listened attentively while members of the public voiced their opinions.

There had been three options on the table that would have extended the season by either six or eleven days or none at all. Representatives from the New Jersey Beach Buggy Association, New Jersey Outdoor Alliance, NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs and Jersey Coast Anglers Association were amongst those who spoke in favor of extending the season by eleven days. Though a clear majority favored that option, other groups and individuals urged the council to take a more conservative approach and increase the season by only six days. Additionally, those on the fluke advisory panel had also recommended increasing the season by only six days. Previously the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission had approved an additional bonus quota of 88,000 fish that would have allowed the NJMFC to extend the season by up to eleven days. Ultimately, Councilwoman Eleanor Bochenek made somewhat of a surprise motion to extend the season by eight days, an option that had not been on the table. Many of those in attendance applauded as her motion passed by a narrow 5-4 margin.

J Barbosa
07-12-2013, 04:43 PM
I am glad with any extension into September. My biggest fluke come that time of year and shore based limits aren't that hard to come by. Also the crowds start to really thin out making it easier to work the beaches.

captnemo
09-13-2013, 06:01 PM
The latest DEP release. Thank you for your efforts Angler Paul.

The NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife is reminding anglers to take advantage of the eight days added to the recreational summer flounder season. Instead of closing on September 16, 2013, the season has been extended through Tuesday, September 24 (closes on 12:01 A.M. September 25). The NJ Marine Fisheries Council approved this modification at their July 11 meeting and the change was recently approved by DEP Commissioner Bob Martin. The possession and size limits remain at 5 fish and 17.5 inches, respectively.

These additional days were approved by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission through Addendum XXIV, which allowed New Jersey and New York to utilize unused quota from other states . This allowance is for the 2013 season only.

The Division is also reminding anglers that just three days after the summer flounder closure the black sea bass fishing season re-opens on Friday, September 27 and will run through October 14 before closing for a brief period. The recreational black sea bass fishery then re-opens on November 1 to December 31. All black sea bass seasons have a size limit of 12.5 inches and a bag limit of 20 fish

bababooey
09-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Reminder that today and tomorrow are the last 2 days. It's sad because these last few weeks some big boys have been caught, like the 17pounder up at the hook. It's been a good fluke season overall compared to last year though. I have no real complaints.