PDA

View Full Version : Flesh eating Bacteria kills Fisherman!

bababooey
07-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Almost too bizarre to be true.:scared:

Beware Ocean Swimming - Man Dies from Flesh eating Bacteria while fishing.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/07/...to-open-wound/ (http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/07/08/man-dies-from-flesh-eating-bacteria-after-seawater-gets-into-open-wound/)
A Louisiana man died after contracting flesh-eating bacteria while fishing in the Gulf of Mexico.

The Town Talk reports the bacteria known as Vibria vulnificus – which is found in warm seawater – killed the 83-year-old man after his open wound got infected when water splashed on him during a fishing trip.

“It thrives in warm water,” Dr. Tina Stefanski of the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals told KATC-TV. “So, you can imagine in the summer months we see an increased number of this type of bacteria in warm salt water.”

robmedina
07-08-2013, 09:17 PM
jeesh, I just read about a norovirus people caught while doing a endurance mud race. what the eff!

baitstealer
07-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Scarey!!!!!!!

dogfish
07-09-2013, 10:04 AM
That is some nasty stuff. Glad that the water usually doesn't get that warm up here to support those viruses.

finchaser
07-10-2013, 01:08 PM
red blotches on bass up here are know to be a form of it referred as fish handlers disease

Pebbles
07-10-2013, 04:53 PM
About 10 years ago, my son was going to a class and a child's mother died from that. It started on her leg and within a week she was dead. Live in Westfield.

great_white_hunter
07-10-2013, 07:38 PM
I have a Dr that was put in the hospital for something very similar. He believes he caught it from snorkeling or scuba diving down in one of the islands. Very scary stuff. He didn't have any open flesh wounds....takes a guess where it entered...

storminsteve
07-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Pebbles sorry to hear that it is a scary thing. Finchaser, any idea how that bacteria gets in the water from the diseased stripers? What I mean is what is the vehicle of transmission? It is sores on the bass, and then what happens, does it just float on the surface or somehow in the top of the water. That is real nasty makes you scared of wading if you have a cut on your leg.

storminsteve
07-10-2013, 08:56 PM
I have a Dr that was put in the hospital for something very similar. He believes he caught it from snorkeling or scuba diving down in one of the islands. Very scary stuff. He didn't have any open flesh wounds....takes a guess where it entered...

OK, I will be the first to guess that it entered in the penis? Ouch!!!!!!!!:scared:

great_white_hunter
07-11-2013, 08:35 PM
No storminsteve.....through his anus.

basshunter
07-11-2013, 09:30 PM
^^ Holy smokes that is gross the invasion of the anal virus. Never heard of anything like that.:upck: