PDA

View Full Version : Casting Net

robmedina
07-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Does anyone use one in the surf? I was thinking of picking one up. I can catch my own bait (if I am lucky enough to do so) and I can see what is actually in the surf....(if I am lucky enough to get anything)

I have seen others post about the bait in the waters- I have little clue what is out there from time to time and I am thinking a casting net might help me learn.

Thoughts?

rockhopper
07-17-2013, 08:32 AM
I have 2 of them. one is a 10' net and one is a 6'. The 6' is a lot easier to throw but not good if the baitfish are fast like mullet. No problem at all for peanut bunker. I think they are calusas. I think whether you will be throwing from a boat or shore will be the best consideration of the size you will use. Where will you be throwing it from?

robmedina
07-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the reply RH. I will be throwing from the beach.

Pebbles
07-17-2013, 07:47 PM
I have used a casting net with Dark. It was great for me to catch bait when there was plenty around. If I can use one anyone can, just takes some practice.

robmedina
07-18-2013, 06:17 AM
I have used a casting net with Dark. It was great for me to catch bait when there was plenty around. If I can use one anyone can, just takes some practice.

Thanks Pebbles. So when you did use it- did you have to wade out past the first breaker or were you basically throwing from the beach?

My goal is to use the net to see what is in the surf. Be it bait, crabs, spots, kings, etc. To use it as an educational tool.

Pebbles
07-18-2013, 05:23 PM
I used it close to the shore line. There was a lot of bait around. I have never gone past my knees. Dark has he is pretty good at it. Why don't you PM him and get some pointers.

robmedina
07-19-2013, 09:05 AM
I used it close to the shore line. There was a lot of bait around. I have never gone past my knees. Dark has he is pretty good at it. Why don't you PM him and get some pointers.

Will he yell at me if I don't get it right? :argue: LOL, JK!

fishinmission78
07-19-2013, 08:15 PM
whether you will be throwing from a boat or shore will be the best consideration of the size you will use.

Something to think about is the bait you will be throwing for. There are lot of peanut bunker around right now. The size net for them is not that critical because they are easily confused and not that quick when you find them in deeper water like the edges of a lighted marina at night. A 6' diameter net is fine for throwing to get some and it is good to use in confined spaces. When the mullet get thicker they get a little harder to catch unless they are running along the beach. They move more in military precision and you have to refine your cast. Instead of casting to the mullet you learn to cast to the direction they are heading in. That should make it a lot easier. There are a lot of videos on youtube. What I would do is look at them and then go out to a shallow water bay and practice until you get the distance. Make sure the end of the net is always tied to your hand or you will be sorry. good luck

robmedina
07-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Something to think about is the bait you will be throwing for. There are lot of peanut bunker around right now. The size net for them is not that critical because they are easily confused and not that quick when you find them in deeper water like the edges of a lighted marina at night. A 6' diameter net is fine for throwing to get some and it is good to use in confined spaces. When the mullet get thicker they get a little harder to catch unless they are running along the beach. They move more in military precision and you have to refine your cast. Instead of casting to the mullet you learn to cast to the direction they are heading in. That should make it a lot easier. There are a lot of videos on youtube. What I would do is look at them and then go out to a shallow water bay and practice until you get the distance. Make sure the end of the net is always tied to your hand or you will be sorry. good luck
I was thinking that a bay scenario might be better. Thanks for the reply. I think I am going to grab a 4' to start with and mess around with it and then work my way bigger. I am going tomorrow night for sharks and may try the bay side due to a report on another forum. The spot is at a marina so a casting net at night around the lights may be perfect. Thanks again!

Pebbles
07-19-2013, 10:04 PM

Without a doubt. Very funny!!!
:ROFLMAO

J Barbosa
07-20-2013, 05:19 PM
I own a few different size nets, don't throw them much anymore. Brought one with me today to catch some peanut bunker for tomorrow's fluke trip. Peanuts are stacked by the thousands where I'm crabbing right now. It's a shame they are hard to keep alive.

larger net is harder to throw and will get you wet once it gets wet. I like my 3fter and 8fter the most. The three ft is light to carry around. Hard to beat a 10 ft net from a dock or boat for bunker.

DarkSkies
07-21-2013, 08:58 AM

Without a doubt. Very funny!!!
:ROFLMAO

Man you two are harsh! :laugh:
I know I'm like a DI...it's the way I grew up......
That's one of the reasons I like to fish alone.....only the crazy nuts like Marathon Man Monty can keep up.....We have both had members of the site out there with us at different times and before the trip was over they ended up sleeping on the sand.....

Sleep when you're dead....:ROFLMAO :headbang:

paco33
07-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Rob this guy has a good video. Check it out. The thing that worked for me is practicing till I got it right. good luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbmcW9zvg7g

robmedina
07-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Thanks Paco. I found a guy on youtube who throws his very similarly. I just went up to the school and practiced. I think I got it down somewhat. I know the more I try to muscle it the more it gets messed up. Just let the net do the work and it makes a circle everytime.

J Barbosa
07-27-2013, 08:41 AM
This thread inspired me to break out my cast net that has been sitting for a while. Decided to bring the 3' and 8' with me but the 8' stayed in the car.

Took the 3ft to some backwaters where the first throw loaded it with finger sized mullet. Second cast was some bigger mullet about 4-5". Threw a dozen in the bucket but they were not the target bait.

I moved down about 500 yards where I could see peanuts flipping and threw the net..bucket #2 loaded with about 15 peanuts in the 3-5" size.

Then I throw the net one more time to load the other bucket with about another 15 peanuts and release the mullet.

Aerators on!

Peanut bunker are extremely hard to keep alive but done right you can have 1-1.5 dozen baits in a 5 gallon pail lively for a few hours. I doubt they would be able to survive overnight without constant water changes.

robmedina
07-27-2013, 09:11 AM
You're the man John. I threw my net (I finally can throw it) about a hundred times and got one small crab. I actually kicked some small baitfish up onto the bank- did better than with the net- just to get a look at them. Small white minnow looking fish. I tied some patterns after them to see if I can drift them with a float to get the flounder to bite.

J Barbosa
07-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Rob,

You can throw a perfect circle but if there's nothing under that circle then it's just a waste of a throw.

First find the bait and then throw; don't go out blind casting the net.

robmedina
07-28-2013, 08:58 AM
First find the bait and then throw I am trying brotha, I am trying but I can't see sh*t. I don't know how you guys do it. I am blind as a bat and need to wear prescription glasses. I do have a pair of polarized prescription but I am beginning to think that they are not all that polarized. I tend to throw the net where I think the lil critters would be- there lies my problem....

crosseyedbass
07-28-2013, 01:24 PM
rob are you pitching that net near harbors or marinas? I have had a lot of success by going to a place like that and finding bait gathered up near the lights. Often you will see bait tight into to head boats or the smaller boats. You will see dimples in the surface which can be a sign that other bait is deeper.
See some bait throw the net like johnb said. Be careful of the mooring lines of the boats though you don't want anyone to think you are messing with or damaging their boats or you may lose the priveleges. good luck dude

robmedina
07-28-2013, 03:50 PM
rob are you pitching that net near harbors or marinas? I have had a lot of success by going to a place like that and finding bait gathered up near the lights. Often you will see bait tight into to head boats or the smaller boats. You will see dimples in the surface which can be a sign that other bait is deeper.
See some bait throw the net like johnb said. Be careful of the mooring lines of the boats though you don't want anyone to think you are messing with or damaging their boats or you may lose the priveleges. good luck dude
Thanks CEB- No I haven't been around the marinas. I am going to have to take a ride into one and look around. I just worry about people yelling at me about being in there. Thanks for commenting!