PDA

View Full Version : Fishing is cyclical, your opinion?

porgy75
07-23-2013, 08:31 PM
I have read a lot of comments lately about certain species being cyclical when the fishing is bad. Guys will say stripers weakfish and blue fish have natural cycles and they have disappeared for a while only to come back big time.
I was thinking about this and wonder why they never say the sea bass, fluke, blackfish, sea robins, or skates are cyclical and wondered what you guys thought? thanks

robmedina
07-24-2013, 04:59 AM
I would agree, but the reason I think is the water temps. The fish like a particular range in temps- when they change the fish change to suit it.

7deadlyplugs
07-24-2013, 01:12 PM
I don't know a lot about the cycles but remember seeing somewhere that bluefish disappeared in the 60's or 70's. If the fish spawn in the same area each yea they should come back to that area, no? jmho

hookset
07-24-2013, 09:27 PM
I don't agree. I think that in certain years the fishing pressure has been so intense that the next year or year after that the numbers are so beaten up that folks think they have vanished. And they have.
Then when people stop fishing for a certain species or turn attention to another one that is easier to catch the fish "come back". Just my opinion

surfstix1963
07-29-2013, 05:46 AM
I agree ^^^ with overfishing(overkeeping)I also believe that some species are cyclical(weakfish)others such as blackfish take a long time to grow.With our waters warming are we seeing different species with big appetites??Look at Florida with the snakehead problems.I feel there are too many factors that are contributing to the decline of the fisheries and overkeeping is the biggest.IMO..

wish4fish
08-21-2013, 07:24 PM
I agree ^^^ with overfishing(overkeeping)I also believe that some species are cyclical(weakfish)others such as blackfish take a long time to grow.With our waters warming are we seeing different species with big appetites??Look at Florida with the snakehead problems.I feel there are too many factors that are contributing to the decline of the fisheries and overkeeping is the biggest.IMO..

i agree dude there are too many ppl keeping the small fish this is a big problem on the piers and jetties in the backbay there is not enough officers around. when u tell these ppl the fish are too small they say they dont kno english but thats not true they can count dollars they can understand english lol

captnemo
02-27-2014, 06:11 PM
I don't agree. I think that in certain years the fishing pressure has been so intense that the next year or year after that the numbers are so beaten up that folks think they have vanished. And they have.
Then when people stop fishing for a certain species or turn attention to another one that is easier to catch the fish "come back". Just my opinion

well said, I agree.