PDA

View Full Version : Underwater footage of the Glory Wreck (I almost lose the camera lol)

dogfish246
07-30-2013, 10:28 PM
So unfortunately for my research we have gotten a few pots stuck on Gloria and I wanted to see what it looks like down there (totally didnt get any pots in my video but I will try again). Instead we got some really great footage and now can characterize the wreck we are potting on. I thought it would be neat to show fellow fishermen what it looks like down there. I know I was overly excited to see this footage! Enjoy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Pj3PIsLvo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Pj3PIsLvo

J Barbosa
07-30-2013, 11:03 PM
Thats great footage. What kind of pots are you loosing?

jigfreak
07-31-2013, 01:31 AM
Awesome footage that wreck looks super sticky. You can see some spots in the video where gear has been lost. Good for the fish too.

fishinmission78
07-31-2013, 03:43 PM
Very clear video thanks for sharing.

voyager35
07-31-2013, 08:12 PM
Nice job dogfish

bababooey
08-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Keep up the good work its nice to see how everything interacts down there.

crosseyedbass
08-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Cool beans nice work!

dogfish246
08-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks guys! Glad you are enjoying the footage as much as me!

Thats great footage. What kind of pots are you loosing?

We are losing black sea bass pots. We are doing research on pots that are seeded with a male vs female black sea bass. Black sea bass is a data poor fishery because you cant trawl them like other fish, so potting is the only way to get data. And there isnt much info on potting and how these fish use/interact with the pots.

Keep up the good work its nice to see how everything interacts down there.
Right!!!! That is why I love sending down the camera!

jonthepain
08-02-2013, 06:36 AM
wtg

cowherder
08-03-2013, 09:41 AM
You are getting better and better at the filming dogfish. Thanks for teaching us whats down there!

captnemo
08-05-2013, 05:07 PM
dogfish 246 I enjoy these videos immensely and the enthusiasm you put into them. I made a comment about dogfish in another thread.
If you ask me it was one of the worst decisions they ever made to protect them. They are on every reef and piece from 1/4 mile to 100 miles offshore. They have become the dominant species in those environments. The only predator they have to fear is big sharks. With the numbers of big sharks not growing I think folks will look back 10 years from now and realize the protective regulations were one of the biggest mistakes in marine science in the last 2 decades.

I was interested in what your perspective is on the numbers of dogfish we have out there now and if you feel it was a mistake to protect them for such a long period given the fact that they don't have much in the way of natural predators.

basshunter
08-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Nice job dude.

surferman
08-31-2013, 12:22 PM
I was interested in what your perspective is on the numbers of dogfish we have out there now and if you feel it was a mistake to protect them for such a long period given the fact that they don't have much in the way of natural predators.

Thanks for posting dogfish. I too was wondering what the answer was to this question. Would appreciate hearing what your thoughts were. In South Jersey they are EVERYWHERE.:mad: