PDA

View Full Version : NJ Fishing Reports for August 2013.....wwwStripersAndAnglers.com

DarkSkies
08-01-2013, 12:17 PM
NJ fishing reports for August 2013...www.stripersandanglers.com (http://www.stripersandanglers.com/)

**Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING. Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED.
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

**For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
Out Front (Ocean) OR -- Out Back (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time.

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

1. If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:
If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish there today?

2. If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free. :fishing:

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
GEI - Great Egg Inlet
TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
DB - Delaware Bay

DarkSkies
08-01-2013, 12:19 PM
RobMedina,
you won the plug in the July 2013 random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:
PM me your address so I can send it out to ya!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits, or something similar.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)

Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site!:clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

robmedina
08-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Wow- Thanks! Can't wait to use it!

storminsteve
08-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Congrats rob I have won this in the past ds has a nice stash of plugs.
I fished nomoco last night the outgoing tide and slack. Had some nice fluke action till almost the end and got 6 huckory shad on the teaser. 5 short fluke and 6 hickories lots of fun.

robmedina
08-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Absolutely gorgeous night out yesterday. Hit LBI with my buddy Mike. Went north up into surf city area to wait for the fresh bunker to arrive at the bait shop. While we waited we went and threw a line in. I got to use my casting egg and my new spinfisher v for a little bit. No takers. Mike landed a cocktail blue on a bucktail tipped with gulp.
Next time I am bringing my gulp! anyway- The target for tonight was shark so we headed to the baitshop got our bunker and headed about mid island. I think LBI should be renamed little wildwood. The beach is huge! although the exercise is good.
Anyway- as people have reported, the spots are thick in the surf. I tried a king rig and fishbites for the first time. I am a believer my friends. As soon as that bait would hit the water they were on it. MIke loaded up his cooler with spots. I caught a few spots and 1 king.
Something was chasing the spots because every once in a while they would jump out of the water fleeing something. I threw in some bunker. nothing. Live lined a spot, nothing.
Mike got tired after the sun went down but he hung out till 11ish. I wanted to move to a new spot but I knew if I did I would loose Mike, so I waited. Mike called it a night and I moved to another spot that used to be a hole and is now a flat area. The water is under 6" deep for about 40 yards before you hit the surf.
I have to be honest- I am chicken crap in the water after dark- so wading out in that skinny water was a little un nerving even though I knew what could possibly get me in that stuff...
Well anyway, I managed to **** it up and wade out 'close' to the breaking surf and threw my bait out the furthest I could hoping to land in some good water. About 20 minutes goes by and my reel starts screaming. The fish feels decent. He took a couple of runs straight out so I felt it must be a shark. so after I tire him out I realize- hmm, I am not sure how big he his- the water is skinny for 40 yards...do I have to go get him??? in the water???
So I keep pulling him in- I can just barely make him out with my headlamp, yup he is a shark. Not a very big one- estimated between 3 and 4 feet. probably closer to 4. I was able to pull him through the skinny water to get him up on the sand. Hook removal was easy. I took him out as far as I could in the scary skinny water afraid he was going to chase me back in, lol!
He seemed to struggle trying to get back out so I overcame my little girl fear and went in to help him out. I grabbed him by the tail and took him out to deeper water.
Don't you know that sucker came back in...just to stalk me. I did not think it was safe to go back in to cast out my next bait, lol!

OK, I know I went on way too long, but these are the things you think about to amuse yourself in the dead of night. Thanks for putting up with my ramblings!

cowherder
08-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Awesome report rob I like your honesty! Even though you said it was a small shark those teeth are big enough to do some damage.

Monty
08-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Absolutely gorgeous night out yesterday.
OK, I know I went on way too long, but these are the things you think about to amuse yourself in the dead of night. Thanks for putting up with my ramblings!

Real nice report Rob, congrats on getting that shark.
Last Saturday night when I fished it was a beautiful night, just being out there on such a real nice night was extremely enjoyable.

Monty
08-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Fished this morning ocean side from 1:00 to 8:00.
Picked up a shad on a teaser, then a decent Fluke on a loaded red fin, Sea Robin also on the loaded Red Fin.
Also picked up 6 short stripers, biggest around 24 inches.
Loaded Red Fin, white Hogy and feathered teaser (2 on each).
And a double of blues (Howdy and feathered teaser).
Last fish caught around 6:15.
None of the fish were sluggish, was awesome seeing them crash the White Hogy.
Had a few bumps and misses, covered at least a mile and half of beach, great time :).
Beautiful night, saw 4 shooting stars, ocean had small chop. Water and air were cool.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_8_4_SR.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_8_4_F.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_8_4_SB2WH1.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_8_4_BFD.jpg

buckethead
08-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Nice going monty you nailed the inshore trifecta only thing missing for a full house was a weakfish. I fished moco from 10-2am last night picked up a few short bass on a black bomber.

buckethead
08-04-2013, 02:54 PM
ps monty loaded redfin - nice!:thumbsup:

porgy75
08-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Wow catching bass in august awesome catching guys!
I fished ocean county this before sunrise today. Was using frozen bunker and clams in the dark. Total one skate one dogfish and a brown shark that seemed like a baby maybe first or 2nd year? All I know is the dogfish was bigger than the brown shark but the teeth on the shark were scary even though it was small. I switched to fluking around sunrise with a different pole and got 2 fluke on gulp swimming mullet. They were all short. Also saw some birds picking away at small bait but not sure what it was. An older gent on the beach said it was sandeels but I did not see any I'll take his word they are around. I hope some more of them come in cause that would be great for the fall.

storminsteve
08-04-2013, 03:50 PM
wtg Monty nice chunky bass! Good to hear about the surf bluefish too. Love double headers. Hit up nomoco last night was throwing rubber eels and the sps managed 3 chunky bass. All shorts but chunky. One hickory shad on the sp as well. They really hit hard I thought I had a bluefish on at first.
Also Monty I noticed you haven't posted any dead things lately are you ready to condede the title yet?:HappyWave:

baitstealer
08-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Man you guys are crushing it in the dark! I started today at 6 and quit at 7:30. 4 sea robins and one short fluke monmouth county near the rocks. It seems all the bass are hitting in the dark ill have to get up earlier next time. Congrats nice reports and thanks for sharing.

Monty
08-04-2013, 05:51 PM
wtg Monty nice chunky bass! Good to hear about the surf bluefish too. Love double headers. Hit up nomoco last night was throwing rubber eels and the sps managed 3 chunky bass. All shorts but chunky. One hickory shad on the sp as well. They really hit hard I thought I had a bluefish on at first.
Also Monty I noticed you haven't posted any dead things lately are you ready to condede the title yet?:HappyWave:
:HappyWave:
They did hit real hard, in no way were they lethargic.
Umm, as for dead things JB is the one who will give me a run for the title. You seem to get lost on the way to the beach and end up finding dead stuff in the parking lots :huh:...
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?9103-2013-first-half-dead-things-poll&highlight=dead

jigfreak
08-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Gotta side with monty steve. I think he found a dead ocean sunfish or something like that about 2 years ago. Just sayin.:HappyWave:
Nice bassin, dudes.

J Barbosa
08-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Great report Monty.

cowherder
08-04-2013, 08:53 PM
^What John said, awesome reports and great pics! Hope the blues and bass are here to stay.

robmedina
08-04-2013, 09:39 PM
great job Monty! Someday when I grow up I want to be just like you! :HappyWave: as for a report- it was a win in one way and a dud in another. First the win- My Wife and my two youngest children went with me to the beach. The plan was to go to IBSP but while we were on route 37 we saw the big sign that said IBSP is closed. So we turned around and jumped on the parkway and headed to LBI. We ended up in brants beach. went down and got front row seats to the ocean. I baited up and my wife and daughter got some sun. My son rolled around in the surf in front of my poles. It was glorious! The dud was I had two bites but no fish. A guy down to my left landed a big ray and you would have thought someone was drowning. There was about 50 people around that guy. Kind of glad I didn't catch a shark or anything big while the crowds were there. Anyway- plan is to do it again but get an earlier start for ibsp.

seamonkey
08-05-2013, 07:31 AM
Great news on the bass guys. I fished near cold spring over the weekend. got a mess o croakers, spot one short fluke near the bottom of the tide and got blanked next time . The 2nd time the water was dirtier from the rain so that prob affected it. All on pieces of gulp sandworms.

seamonkey
08-05-2013, 07:32 AM
Fished this morning ocean side from 1:00 to 8:00.
Picked up a shad on a teaser, then a decent Fluke on a loaded red fin, Sea Robin also on the loaded Red Fin.
Also picked up 6 short stripers, biggest around 24 inches.
Loaded Red Fin, white Hogy and feathered teaser (2 on each).
And a double of blues (Howdy and feathered teaser).
Last fish caught around 6:15.
None of the fish were sluggish, was awesome seeing them crash the White Hogy.
Had a few bumps and misses, covered at least a mile and half of beach, great time :).
Beautiful night, saw 4 shooting stars, ocean had small chop. Water and air were cool.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_8_4_SR.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_8_4_F.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_8_4_SB2WH1.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_8_4_BFD.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous night out yesterday. Hit LBI with my buddy Mike. Went north up into surf city area to wait for the fresh bunker to arrive at the bait shop. While we waited we went and threw a line in. I got to use my casting egg and my new spinfisher v for a little bit. No takers. Mike landed a cocktail blue on a bucktail tipped with gulp.
Next time I am bringing my gulp! anyway- The target for tonight was shark so we headed to the baitshop got our bunker and headed about mid island. I think LBI should be renamed little wildwood. The beach is huge! although the exercise is good.
Anyway- as people have reported, the spots are thick in the surf. I tried a king rig and fishbites for the first time. I am a believer my friends. As soon as that bait would hit the water they were on it. MIke loaded up his cooler with spots. I caught a few spots and 1 king.
Something was chasing the spots because every once in a while they would jump out of the water fleeing something. I threw in some bunker. nothing. Live lined a spot, nothing.
Mike got tired after the sun went down but he hung out till 11ish. I wanted to move to a new spot but I knew if I did I would loose Mike, so I waited. Mike called it a night and I moved to another spot that used to be a hole and is now a flat area. The water is under 6" deep for about 40 yards before you hit the surf.
I have to be honest- I am chicken crap in the water after dark- so wading out in that skinny water was a little un nerving even though I knew what could possibly get me in that stuff...
Well anyway, I managed to **** it up and wade out 'close' to the breaking surf and threw my bait out the furthest I could hoping to land in some good water. About 20 minutes goes by and my reel starts screaming. The fish feels decent. He took a couple of runs straight out so I felt it must be a shark. so after I tire him out I realize- hmm, I am not sure how big he his- the water is skinny for 40 yards...do I have to go get him??? in the water???
So I keep pulling him in- I can just barely make him out with my headlamp, yup he is a shark. Not a very big one- estimated between 3 and 4 feet. probably closer to 4. I was able to pull him through the skinny water to get him up on the sand. Hook removal was easy. I took him out as far as I could in the scary skinny water afraid he was going to chase me back in, lol!
He seemed to struggle trying to get back out so I overcame my little girl fear and went in to help him out. I grabbed him by the tail and took him out to deeper water.
Don't you know that sucker came back in...just to stalk me. I did not think it was safe to go back in to cast out my next bait, lol!

Great reports and pics pretty work.

surferman
08-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Monty if there was an award for best surf fishing pics on the net I would vote for you to win it. Awesome reports and pics guys!

surferman
08-05-2013, 04:49 PM

Always enjoy your reports and your honesty rob. Felt like I was there as I was reading that. Thanks for sharing.

hookset
08-05-2013, 06:41 PM
It seems all the bass are hitting in the dark ill have to get up earlier next time. Congrats nice reports and thanks for sharing.

night time is the right time.

buckethead
08-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Monty if there was an award for best surf fishing pics on the net I would vote for you to win it. Awesome reports and pics guys!

x2 nice sunrise pic monty.

vpass
08-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Nice going Monty, Love the Pictures also.The Fall is getting closer. Nice going Robmedina with that Shark Would love to see someone catch one of those with People swimming around. can't imagine the panic.

I went yesterday on a friends boat. We went Bluefin Tuna fishing. I haven't been on a boat like 6 years. Well I got Sea Sick and didn't fish much. We were Jigging, and Trolling the Chicken Canyon, and The atlantic Princes Wreck. We left the dock around 3am got back around 3pm. We all got :skunk: There were some fish around on the fish finder, and heard a small one caught near us on the radio.

How do you keep from getting sea sick? I guess next time I'll take dramamine. Can't wait to try again.

hookset
08-05-2013, 09:02 PM
vpass I want to jump on a tuna charter sometime this fall so I appreciate the report. Seems from what I have heard you were in the right area but it has been hit and miss. The inshore tuna are there but the boat traffic can really mess it up. Most consistent bite is from 3-5 am and then it all depends on how far you are from the fleet. Find a nice patch of water sans other boats with some good bait and readings and you may have a shot. Its like a coin toss one day they crush them the next day you have 50 boats and 5 are caught. If you have a chance next time try a weekday. If not that maybe a friday as sat and sunday are like parking lots.

hookset
08-05-2013, 09:07 PM
vpass check this thread out. Found it in the boating forum.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?1127-Sea-sickness-preventions-and-remedies

There is a band you can get to put on your wrist. Can also use a pressure point about 3 fingers above your wristline to keep applying pressure and keep your morning breakfast down. Good idea to eat light as well. No greasy food or many beers till near the end of the trip. When my stomach cries uncle I try to make my way back to normal with light pieces of crackers if I get hungry. Good luck

vpass
08-05-2013, 09:31 PM
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?1127-Sea-sickness-preventions-and-remedies

There is a band you can get to put on your wrist. Can also use a pressure point about 3 fingers above your wristline to keep applying pressure and keep your morning breakfast down. Good idea to eat light as well. No greasy food or many beers till near the end of the trip. When my stomach cries uncle I try to make my way back to normal with light pieces of crackers if I get hungry. Good luck

Thanks hookset, I Will try accuband, and I'm going to look up bonine.

vpass
08-05-2013, 09:31 PM

Thanks hookset, I Will try accuband, and I'm going to look up bonine.

jigfreak
08-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Last night ocean side. 4 fat dinks to 27". Rubber eels. Also picked up a huge skate as bycatch the thing must of been 18lbs.

Fishman
08-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Decided to go into work late and do some fishing early this morning. Fished 4-7am near some jetties. Glad I did because I caught three stripers, all short but full of action. 2 on the vision eel one on a sandeel teaser.

Monty
08-07-2013, 06:10 AM
Last night ocean side. 4 fat dinks to 27". Rubber eels. Also picked up a huge skate as bycatch the thing must of been 18lbs.

Decided to go into work late and do some fishing early this morning. Fished 4-7am near some jetties. Glad I did because I caught three stripers, all short but full of action. 2 on the vision eel one on a sandeel teaser.

Nice reports, congrats on getting out there and catching.
Can't wait to get out there again this Sunday AM, weather has been relatively accommodating lately.

robmedina
08-07-2013, 06:34 AM
Nice reports, congrats on getting out there and catching.
Can't wait to get out there again this Sunday AM, weather has been relatively accommodating lately.

^^^^ditto^^^^^ I can't wait to get out there as well. I really want to get a good sized shark , but you're reports have me wanting to get out there with artificials!

Fishman
08-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Thanks guys. I was glad to find those stripers because I had heard the only game in town is fluke. They were small but feisty! I am thinking with all the small bait in the surf they could stick around at night. The rain in the next 2 days might ruin things though. Thats why I went out there it was calm and a beautiful night!

J Barbosa
08-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Vpass,

Dramamine makes me feel sick from taking that stupid pill. I've never been sick but I use to take it as a precaution before going offshore.

I stopped taking it and have found the best way to prevent sea sickness is to not worry about it to begin with.

I've heard good stuff about the ear patch and wrist bands.

I would live offshore if I could afford it.

ledhead36
08-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Fishman lots of small fluke and croakers available too. Filled half a cooler with fat croakers last night in RB. A few small fluke and spots, and 2 kingfish. Croakers are tasty eating if you fry or grill them whole. Mostly on the incoming tide with tandem porgy rigs. I am re-using all the gulp pieces that got bit off by blues. Small is key you want to catch them not feed them.

cowherder
08-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Nice going ledhead I am going to try to get a mess of croakers this month one of the times I am out there. Would you say it is better to get them from the shore in the bay or are you fishing deeper water? Does anyone have a croaker recipe that's good?

seamonkey
08-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Fished near ocean city this morning. The incoming tide from 5-8. Was using gulp on one rig for the flatties and fishbites on the other for croakers. I didn't catch one croaker but did score 2 short flatties. Wondering if anyone has had better luck in the ocean on the croakers and what stage of tide? the water was a little dirty that might have made a difference as to why I didn't get any?

fishinmission78
08-10-2013, 12:48 PM
I have done better near the bottom of the outgoing. Try the last 2 hours. Heave it out just past the last breaker and you should catch some. Good luck

robmedina
08-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Some people say "it's not all rainbows and sunshine" but I beg to differ. 17380 17381 I headed to LBI this morning with the intention on shark fishing. I got to the island around 4:30 this morning and stopped in at the bay where I saw a lighted doc. Something was busting bait there, probably snapper blues. The bait looked to be peanut bunker about 2-3". I normally have my cast net with me but I didn't this time. I tried to catch whatever was feeding but they were not interested.

I headed to get bait but none of the bait stores were open so I shot down to the beach to do some plugging. The water was cold. The waves were good sized and there was some white water but nothing was going on- I went up to get bait at 6 when the bait store opened. No fresh bunker so I grabbed 1 frozen bunker because the water was really cold- I did not think there would be much shark action anyway.
Well I could not hold bottom with 6 oz. after 2 attempts and loosing my bait I transitioned to the bay. I ended up foul hooking a large stingray or skate. I couldn't get the thing on the beach because there was a lip there and every time I would try to grab him he would take off. I was able to get close enough to him and stick my finger in his spiracle to get some leverage but that really pissed him off. He started flapping his wings which caused the hook to dislodge and off he went.

a buddy of mine met up with me and we fished for flounder. He caught one short and then it was time to call it a day. So back to my opening statement- to some people today may have been a crap fishing day. As I was standing on the beach and watching my line move to down the beach with the current I began to think how much it sucked that the cold front screwed everything up and how the current was too strong etc, I looked up and saw the sun shining and the rainbow in the sky and knew that being out there was reward enough - catching fish is just a bonus.
Have a great day!

Monty
08-10-2013, 03:07 PM
So back to my opening statement- to some people today may have been a crap fishing day. As I was standing on the beach and watching my line move to down the beach with the current I began to think how much it sucked that the cold front screwed everything up and how the current was too strong etc, I looked up and saw the sun shining and the rainbow in the sky and knew that being out there was reward enough - catching fish is just a bonus.
Have a great day!

Rob great pics.
I agree 100%.
Getting out there and enjoying the time on the water, getting lost in the fishing is what its all about for me. Catching is the bonus.
I have loved the time on the water this summer (Sunday early AMs). Awesome nights, water and air have been cool lately, very fishable water, solitude, shooting stars, no thunder storms when I have been out......haven't found any dead things lately.

robmedina
08-10-2013, 03:10 PM
thanks Monty. I was thinking about you this morning. There were dozens of dead crabs on the bayside this morning. :HappyWave:

storminsteve
08-11-2013, 11:42 AM
[I fished nomoco last night. 4 short fluke, one small micro bass. Gulp shrimp and a redgill teaser. There was small bait in the water. I was happy to catch but can't wait for the big bluefish to come back inshore.

storminsteve
08-11-2013, 11:43 AM
QUOTE=robmedina;71616]Some people say "it's not all rainbows and sunshine" but I beg to differ. 17380 17381 I I looked up and saw the sun shining and the rainbow in the sky and knew that being out there was reward enough - catching fish is just a bonus.
Have a great day![/QUOTE]

Awesome report and pics Rob. What you said, catching is just a bonus is so true. thanks for sharing!

buckethead
08-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Similar report as yours steve. 1 short fluke, one cocktail blue and one tiny bass.Seems like a number of small bass have moved into the surf zone. Small mega baits. Moco 6-8am. I think you had the better deal last night as it was low water this morning when I started. Morning tides are bad this week may have to switch up to the night time.
Rob great sunrise pics keep em coming.

Monty
08-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Fished this morning 1:00 - 8:00, ocean side.
Picked up two short bass ~20 inches on loaded red fins in the dark.
Then false dawn and sun-up caught 3 cocktail blues (two top water on a Howdy and 1 on a Pojee), missed a couple hits and lost two.
Also had three blow-ups on the white Hogy by bass but my shoulder is shot and the way I was holding my rod when the rod bent I could not move the rod to set the hook...:beatin:,

No action on the teaser this trip.

Nice water, beautiful night, at least a half dozen shooting stars, decent action, had an awesome time out there.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_8_11_sr.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_8_11_BF1.jpg

robmedina
08-11-2013, 06:27 PM
You are the man Monty.
Well the family and I went to IBSP for the day. We arrived there at 10am. I stopped at grumpys and got some fresh bunker for sharking even though I was not too optimistic about my chances. We drove down to area 21 to "get away" from the crowds only to find crowds. It wasn't quite what I had expected. In my minds eye I imagined wide open beaches with people scarcely spread out. OK, yeah on what planet, right! Well anyway- I went down in between a guy fishing and people swimming. An older gent to my right seemed to look at me with disgust as I set my rods into the sand via their sand spike. I saw him nod with disappointment after looking my way for a few moments. I thought that was odd because I remember passing a sign that said no swimming beyond this point on the main road- so I was under the impression that any area beyond that point would be for fisherman. Ok I know- on what planet.

Well I have to say I was somewhat irritated. At one point I watched an older man walk down the beach and stop right under my line that was in the ocean. He stood there for awhile and then opened his bail and threw his line right over my line. I got up and shook my rod and made my line jiggle so he could see it. He turned and was surprised as if there would be no other people on the beach..... but then I felt bad because the surf knocked him over and I went down to assist him. I think he was embarrassed.

anyway- as I loosened up and gave all my frustrations away I started having a good time. The kids were enjoying the crystal clear water. I waded out to chest deep water to try and cast my bait out to outer bar and saw tons of flounder swim away as I approached them- that was cool.
After awhile I put the rods away and swam with the kids. We had the pleasure of company from 4 cow nosed rays that swam around us. It was really a great day.
So for the report. I learned to chill....a little bit and I did not catch any fish but it was great being out with the family and having a great day at the beach.

Monty
08-11-2013, 08:13 PM
You are the man Monty.
Well the family and I went to IBSP for the day.

The kids were enjoying the crystal clear water. I waded out to chest deep water to try and cast my bait out to outer bar and saw tons of flounder swim away as I approached them- that was cool.
After awhile I put the rods away and swam with the kids. We had the pleasure of company from 4 cow nosed rays that swam around us. It was really a great day.
So for the report. I learned to chill....a little bit and I did not catch any fish but it was great being out with the family and having a great day at the beach.
Rob, great report, I'm more like a clown out there than the man, :bucktooth:, .
I'm looking forward in the next couple years of getting my grand kids involved in the fishing and having days like you describe with your family, I always enjoy reading your reports.

storminsteve
08-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Rob and Monty great reports thanks for sharing.

storminsteve
08-13-2013, 08:43 AM
Well I have to say I was somewhat irritated. At one point I watched an older man walk down the beach and stop right under my line that was in the ocean. He stood there for awhile and then opened his bail and threw his line right over my line. I got up and shook my rod and made my line jiggle so he could see it. He turned and was surprised as if there would be no other people on the beach..... but then I felt bad because the surf knocked him over and I went down to assist him. I think he was embarrassed.

anyway- as I loosened up and gave all my frustrations away I started having a good time. The kids were enjoying the crystal clear water. I waded out to chest deep water to try and cast my bait out to outer bar and saw tons of flounder swim away as I approached them- that was cool.

That's what it's all about rob!

storminsteve
08-13-2013, 08:45 AM
Nice water, beautiful night, at least a half dozen shooting stars, decent action, had an awesome time out there.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_8_11_BF1.jpg

Well said!

robmedina
08-13-2013, 09:22 AM

Monty your pictures area double edge sword. On one hand I stare at them and can hear the pounding of the surf, smell the ocean air and see the shooting stars as my eyes focus into the sky to help me "feel" the slightest hit on my lure. I can't wait to get back out there. The bad part is I get started late on my work because I am day dreaming with your images.

I know come the cold days of winter I will be looking back through these threads to get the visual stimulation and then come spring- we will do it all over again!

baitstealer
08-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Love the sunrise pics. That was a decent looking blue monty it looks a lot bigger than the small ones they are getting on the party boats. About how much did it weigh?

Monty
08-14-2013, 06:21 AM
Love the sunrise pics. That was a decent looking blue monty it looks a lot bigger than the small ones they are getting on the party boats. About how much did it weigh?

No idea on the weight, the largest was a bit over 20 inches

Thanks all for the compliments on the pics.

seamonkey
08-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Nice reports guys!

ledhead36
08-14-2013, 07:57 PM
I know come the cold days of winter I will be looking back through these threads to get the visual stimulation and then come spring- we will do it all over again!

Amen to that.
You can feel it in the air fall and the end of summer is coming. Fished the back bay last night. Dirty water because of all the rain the fishing was not that good. Picked up a few croakers not as strong as usual. What was interesting was I also picked upn a few cocktail blues on the small porgy rigs. I had pieces of bunker on one just for ***** and giggles and that was what they hit

surferman
08-14-2013, 09:39 PM
Good news on the bluefish getting closer thanks!

robmedina
08-15-2013, 09:15 AM
8-14 report. It was a nice fall day.....wait- no, it still summer! Well let me say one thing I am not complaining. I like it a little cooler out. anyway as for the fishing report- it was a beautiful night out. I really have to get out of my comfort zone and leave my bait rods at home and just go pluggin. It was my intent to do that but as soon as I hit LBI my truck instinctively hit the bait shop and I grabbed 2 fresh bunker before I even knew what was going on... I only had 1 small skate for my efforts- the tide was going out- almost dead low when I got the skate. Again I had to brave wading out in low light to the sandbar that was blocking the " big" fish from me. all that work and 1 little skate. Oh well, it was a journey none the less.
While waiting for jaws to eat my bunker I threw some bucktails, swim baits, 10" hogy on darter heads in red and metallic silver, and some flies on my keel weight rig in the hole I was fishing. nada. I really want to just do this and move down and work the shoreline.....get out of comfort zone, get out of comfort zone.....
Sorry- had a moment there. Well anyway, on the way home I stopped bayside to that little dock that has lights and I saw peanut bunker there last time so I figured I would stop. This time I had my cast net. Well I am happy to report that I was bale to get 3, yes THREE jellyfish in my cast net. The PB were just out of my range. I give credit to those guys that can throw the nets far.
I threw in a 2-3" white swimbait trying to " match the hatch" for whatever was going after the PB's , nada. I switched to a casting egg and one of my small PB flies I tied. I thought I got a tap one time but it may have been the rod hitting the high railing I was fishing over. lol!
A man and his son showed up and the father kept yelling at the kid and wouldn't let him cast as if the kid was incapable. When the dad went to the truck to get something the kid reeled his bait in and cast it like a pro. The dad came back and said in an authoritative voice " Did you cast that rod?" I said Yep and he did a great job too. The dad never said another word. I don't mean to come between them but it is supposed to be fun for the kids.
Well anyway, thanks again for dealing with my ramblings- have a great day!

seamonkey
08-15-2013, 10:48 AM
What was interesting was I also picked upn a few cocktail blues on the small porgy rigs. I had pieces of bunker on one just for ***** and giggles and that was what they hit

Thanks for the info it is about time the blues start to bite in the surf. Last year according to my logs I started catching bigger cocktails in the surf again by the 3rd week of august near the inlets. Hoping that holds true for this year too.

seamonkey
08-15-2013, 10:51 AM
A man and his son showed up and the father kept yelling at the kid and wouldn't let him cast as if the kid was incapable. When the dad went to the truck to get something the kid reeled his bait in and cast it like a pro. The dad came back and said in an authoritative voice " Did you cast that rod?" I said Yep and he did a great job too. The dad never said another word. I don't mean to come between them but it is supposed to be fun for the kids.

Sounds to me like the dad missed an opportunity to bond with his son there. Fishing is supposed to be fun. When it becomes a contest or a job that can ruin it. I feel sorry for that kid and its good you were there to stick up for him.

Thanks for the report I always enjoy your details and stories. Good mojo on you for speaking up, rob!

voyager35
08-15-2013, 12:27 PM
8-14 report. It was a nice fall day.....wait- no, it still summer! Well let me say one thing I am not complaining. I like it a little cooler out. anyway as for the fishing report- it was a beautiful night out. I really have to get out of my comfort zone and leave my bait rods at home and just go pluggin. It was my intent to do that but as soon as I hit LBI my truck instinctively hit the bait shop and I grabbed 2 fresh bunker before I even knew what was going on... I only had 1 small skate for my efforts- the tide was going out- almost dead low when I got the skate. Again I had to brave wading out in low light to the sandbar that was blocking the " big" fish from me. all that work and 1 little skate. Oh well, it was a journey none the less.
While waiting for jaws to eat my bunker I threw some bucktails, swim baits, 10" hogy on darter heads in red and metallic silver, and some flies on my keel weight rig in the hole I was fishing. nada. I really want to just do this and move down and work the shoreline.....get out of comfort zone, get out of comfort zone.....
Sorry- had a moment there. Well anyway, on the way home I stopped bayside to that little dock that has lights and I saw peanut bunker there last time so I figured I would stop. This time I had my cast net. Well I am happy to report that I was bale to get 3, yes THREE jellyfish in my cast net. The PB were just out of my range. I give credit to those guys that can throw the nets far.
I threw in a 2-3" white swimbait trying to " match the hatch" for whatever was going after the PB's , nada. I switched to a casting egg and one of my small PB flies I tied. I thought I got a tap one time but it may have been the rod hitting the high railing I was fishing over. lol!

Great report rob. Seems that father dropped the ball completely on that trip. Too bad.

Its a good thing you were there to stick up for his son. I wish I could still fish with my father but he has passed on. If the son distances from his father the man will grow to regret the way he treated him.

robmedina
08-15-2013, 12:41 PM
I am a little guilty of doing that when my kids were little, especially around trees and stuff. I would cast it out for them but hindsight being 20/20 as they say- if I could do it all over again- just let them go (as long as they aren't hooking them selves or their siblings). Live and learn.

finchaser
08-15-2013, 08:25 PM
I was asked to post this by DS. The month of July was ok for me totaled 46 bluefish and 16 bass. Boat fish don't count but from the boat lots of fluke plus 6 tuna and 2 dolphin. Most fish were on days with out southerly directions. August has been good so far 52 bluefish to 7 # and 21 bass to 24" all on buck tails with a chartreuse gottcha tail . All fish in the back some at dawn most playing the tides during the day. In the dark has sucked. Ironically most were in the last 4 days since the wind left the southerly direction. I haven't seen any Albies from the beach out to 65 miles. Nor have my friends while tuna and tile fishing down to the southern canyons, just a few skip jacks

storminsteve
08-16-2013, 09:35 AM
^^ Wow finchaser you have been busy! Haven't seen a report from you in a while glad you are catching. Bluefish to 7lbs thats awesome cause most of the reports have them finding pee wees. Great news on the bluefish and thanks for the report!
I fished nomoco last night beginning of the incoming. 5 short fluke on gulp and bucktail with small teaser. Also picked up a few hickory shad

hookset
08-16-2013, 01:20 PM
Nice going finchaser. Good numbers.

buckethead
08-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Finchaser glad to see you are still fishing. Had not seen your posts lately and was worried that you had health problems again. Outstanding report.

finchaser
08-16-2013, 04:38 PM
I was quietly observing just came in had 19 blues and 1 bass

Monty
08-16-2013, 10:01 PM

Very nice, congrats on the catching this month.

storminsteve
08-17-2013, 08:37 AM

You must have the touch, that's a great catch, congrats!:thumbsup: Can't wait till the blues come back in full force.
Fished nomoco last night picked up 2 short fluke, 3 hickory shad, and 1 short bass. Fluke hit small loaded bomber. Shad hit the redgill teaser. Bass hit the bomber as well.

wish4fish
08-17-2013, 09:58 AM
me an ledhead fished the in coming tide last nite in the back. we filled a cooler with croakers useing a combo of clam and gulp pieces. some nice big boys they are good for the grill whole. also got few spots and some sm blues. the blues r a pain but they are getting bigger the best u can do now in the back is work on the croakers the inlets and some piers are loaded with em

cowherder
08-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Finchaser fantastic catching on the blues and bass congrats! wish4fish glad to hear about the croakers it seems has been a fantastic year for them good deal!

wish4fish
08-17-2013, 10:06 AM
yeah dude its been stupid fishing for them so far and they get bigger every few weeks. got few that was 15" last nite those are great grilling size. we r fishing 2 poles each and sometimes its hard to do that cuz they are hungry. best time for us so far is last 3 hours of the in coming. other times the bite is slower. the striper action is really slow in the back this summer so u have to adapt and fish for other fish. they should be back soon tho with all this bait around its a damn buffet lol

robmedina
08-18-2013, 12:34 PM
fished last night with my buddy Joe. The plan was to get some clam and target spots and kings with the intention of using for sharks. We came up empty at the first spot. I hooked into what was probably a decent king fish but I must have yanked too hard cause I lost him in the wash. We moved to the second spot and Joe lands a nice king. We cut him up for shark bait. I got nothing all night with my shark rig. I baited my other rod up with the guts of the kingfish and got a little skate. Joe was pulling in one skate after another. I tried stealing his spot, LOL, but when he moved over so did the skates.
We fished from 6pm till midnight. Joe went home and I went to the bay for a few hours. There was a kid fishing along side the bridge- there were bait and something chomping on them all over. Neither of us could hook up. I made the suggestion that since the bait were in close that I have a cast net- the kid replied that he had 2 right there so he cast and got some killies and rain fish. I had my kingfish rig in the truck- so I put a killie on the top hook and a rainfish on the bottom and attached the rig to my casting egg to keep it on top. I ended up hooking a little blue fish. A guy on the other side of the bridge caught a small schoolie bass so I through the bluefish as bait for the striper. I had one good pull but lost it- I assume it was a bass but couldn't get another bite.

DarkSkies
08-18-2013, 04:32 PM
so I through the bluefish as bait for the striper. I had one good pull but lost it- I assume it was a bass but couldn't get another bite.
I left feeling somewhat accomplished-I learned a little something tonight. Thanks for the direction on hitting the causeway (you know who you are)

Keep at it Rob it's only going to get better.
As the bait loads up in the back bays it will be more intense....

you fishing with Joe....is a great opportunity to learn from an old salt....:HappyWave:

My report...took Pebbles out for a 2 hour tour early AM...swing and a miss.....
We were hoping for blues or small bass but there was no bait around where we set up....the overcast conditions kept us there throwing rubber, bucktails and plugs...just didn't happen for us....but it was good to be out there again...Been a long time since I wet a line....:fishing:

Monty
08-18-2013, 05:26 PM
My report...took Pebbles out for a 2 hour tour early AM...swing and a miss.....
We were hoping for blues or small bass but there was no bait around where we set up....the overcast conditions kept us there throwing rubber, bucktails and plugs...just didn't happen for us....but it was good to be out there again...Been a long time since I wet a line....:fishing:

Great to here you both got out and went fishing :HappyWave:

I fished this morning from 1:00 to 9:00.
Great water to fish, but I could only manage a short bass on a rubber shad and a star gazer.
I had a bunch of bumps and misses in the dark and light, but my hook setting abilities are at an all time atrocious low (shot shoulder). I had a bass hit a white Hogy and after I missed it was thinking if someone was watching me they would have thought it looked more like me trying to wrestle my Hogy back from the fish than setting the hook.
But had a great time out there, enough bumps and misses to drive me bonkers. Water was absolutely perfect for fishing (waves, white water, clarity..could have been colder).

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_8_18_SG.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_8_18_B3.jpg

storminsteve
08-19-2013, 07:02 AM
DS good to see you and Pebbles back in the game again!:HappyWave:
Rob sounds like you had a good night out there anyways. Monty you did pretty damn good compared to me.
I fished nomoco yesterday am for the first few hours of outgoing. Fished before and through sunrise. Dark as you said the conditions were perfect the water looked really fishy. Could only manage a few short fluke. Not even the hickory shad that were around the last time I was out. The water looked so great with the light East wind but it was like someone forgot to tell the fish.

finchaser
08-19-2013, 01:41 PM
So you hunted me down but I was sleeping off my 13 hour fluke tournaments the day before. Paul attributed the no fish to your kiss of death syndrome . We tried this AM and got blues so I gotta go with his theory we only had 12 between us need the bait to come back.

chas527
08-20-2013, 09:43 AM
fished the navy pier 6 till 930 pm . got two big weak fish 14 crokers 10 spots 1small striper 1 shark 1 big blue fish.caught the crokers and spots on clams.eveything else on cut up spots.

storminsteve
08-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Wow chas that's great news. Had not heard any news about bigger bluefish or weakfish. I'm psyched for the rest of the month! As the bay cools off the table will be set! Great catching congrats. by the way did you or anyone else hear about the fire or the explosion in the boathouse there?

storminsteve
08-21-2013, 02:55 PM
The fire -

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_jersey&id=9212322
http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/static/art/global/icon_wabc_byline.gif By Bill King, Eyewitness News
MIDDLETOWN (WABC) -- At least eight sailors were injured after an explosion and fire at the Naval Weapons Station Earle in Middletown, New Jersey, Tuesday morning.

Naval officials confirm that some kind of explosion happened during maintenance work on a 35-foot utility vessel in one of the buildings along the waterfront around 9 a.m.
It appears some kind of welding accident took place inside one of the buildings on the site. The blast blew a hole through the roof of the building.
Officials say one person was seriously hurt, while seven others suffered non-life threatening injuries, primarily smoke inhalation. The damage from the explosion was contained within the boathouse area, and the situation is stabilized.
Ammunition and ordnance operations at the weapons station were not affected by the accident.
"It was nowhere near any of the ordinance operations or any ammunition that was moving," base Commander John Dunne said. "There was none of that, so this was a self-contained event...I don't know the extent of what they were doing, but I would say that anytime you can walk away, you're doing well when you have a mishap like this."
The identities of the injured personnel are being withheld until family members have been notified.
According to its website, the Naval station mainside is located in Colts Neck, and the Waterfront is in the Leonardo section of Middletown. The two areas are connected by a private, federally-owned roadway. Colts Neck sits in the heart of New Jersey's horse farming region and is only 20 minutes away from the famed Jersey Shore. Leonardo is located on Sandy Hook Bay overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and the New York skyline.
The cause of the explosion is under investigation.

ledhead36
08-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Steve I was out in the bayshore fishing that night heard the explosion it was pretty loud. They eventually had a lot of emergency vehicles come down that way. Glad to hear the majority are ok. Hats off to all the guys that work there they are our first line of defense and I am grateful for their service. the latest news is that just one of them is still in the hospital. Thoughts and prayers for him and his family.
My report, croakers again that night. This has been the best croaker season in the bay in years.

ledhead36
08-21-2013, 03:34 PM
fished the navy pier 6 till 930 pm . got two big weak fish 14 crokers 10 spots 1small striper 1 shark 1 big blue fish.caught the crokers and spots on clams.eveything else on cut up spots.

Great news chas, I have been getting a few blues too. Won't be long now.

hookset
08-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Great report chas thanks for sharing. I am glad those navy men are ok and t&p for the one still in the hospital.

cowherder
08-21-2013, 07:10 PM
:thumbsup:Chaz that is awesome you got the smorgasbord! Only thing missing was a sea robin. and prayers for the injured seaman on the pier.

wish4fish
08-21-2013, 07:26 PM
u da man chaz thats a lot of different fish. i fished the bay last nite and got some croakers on small hooks. got some spots they are big fish candy. cut em up and got 2 bluefish to 6lbs so it is def starting up!

Monty
08-21-2013, 07:56 PM

Chas, great report!
That's a lot of action and variety.

robmedina
08-22-2013, 07:23 AM
Fished LBI last night from 6:30 till 11pm. The plan was to fish the beach until it got dark and then hit the causeway after dark. When I got to the beach the tide was still coming in. I was determined to not buy my own bait- but to catch it. I tied some #2 hooks with green bucktail and tipped them with fish bites and 1 year old gulp alive sand worms. I casted near a jetty and within 5 minutes I had 4 spots. I cut up the spots and used for bait- I got 2 skates and 1 14" bluefish. I then cut the bluefish up and got nada, lol.
It was dark for a little while. I was waiting on that big shark. I thought last night the conditions would have been perfect. Just did not happen. So I finally made my way to the bay. The current was ripping through as the bay was starting to filter out. I cast several times into the eddies- nada. There was no visible action, so called it a night.
The wind was ripping out of the south last night. Last night was 99% full moon- for a full moon tide the current wasn't that bad. Seemed like a lot of life in the surf- well that is until I put the big shark rig on. However something did take a bite out of one the spot heads- completely missing the hook. Probably a blue fish because the bite was small.
As always - still very nice being out there. I had the beach all to myself.

chas527
08-22-2013, 10:15 AM
fished the navy pier the last two nights.This is the first I heard of the explosion.im surprised they let us fish.tuesday got 2 more weaks.last night all big blue fish.

DarkSkies
08-22-2013, 11:44 AM
So you hunted me down but I was sleeping off my 13 hour fluke tournaments the day before. Paul attributed the no fish to your kiss of death syndrome . We tried this AM and got blues so I gotta go with his theory we only had 12 between us need the bait to come back.

If that makes ya happy to think I bring the kiss of death wherever I fish....good for ya, ya grouchy basstid...:2flip: :moon: :kiss: :HappyWave:
What can I say....lack of bait really does affect a bite.....I scouted 2 separate places that morning and couldn't find one piece...very unusual....call it what you want....

Rob and others, way to get out there and make your own reports. :thumbsup:
Chas, excellent news and reports......:HappyWave:

My logs show late summer bluefish (other than the snappers) start to load back into the bay during the last 2 weeks of August....this has been a fairly consistent pattern......but it also depends on water temperatures lowering a bit, and the gathering of small and larger baits....this year has been slightly different for a lot of back bay areas that usually see more activity at night......Prayers for the seaman who is still in the hospital...thank God his life was spared.

finchaser
08-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Paul said when ever you or Gary show the bite dies. By the way still no bait very observant grasshopper

surferman
08-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Fished cape may from 5-7. Was using frozen bunker and 2 spots that a buddy gave me. Got a skate on the bunker, and a runoff on the spot chunk. Don't know what it was but it felt nice. Can't wait for the fall and more fish.

paco33
08-22-2013, 03:38 PM
I worked some rockpiles in moco today for fluke with chartreuse gulp. Managed one keeper 19" and one short. Went through a pack because those damn snappers are still around. Got 2 small ones on the small teaser 18" above the bt. Livelined one out on another pole and got the keeper from that. Left when it looked like hell was getting closer with the rain clouds.

robmedina
08-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Fished cape may from 5-7. Was using frozen bunker and 2 spots that a buddy gave me. Got a skate on the bunker, and a runoff on the spot chunk. Don't know what it was but it felt nice. Can't wait for the fall and more fish.
Maybe I need to head further south for sharks- nothing happening for me in LBI.

bababooey
08-22-2013, 05:35 PM
rob I am not a marine biologist but I did stay at a holiday inn last night.:laugh: :HappyWave:
It seems the surf temps are a little chillier this year than in years past. On the few times I took the family down there the water seemed cold and they complained. Last year the water was warmer and there were sharks all over the surf. Seaside, lavalette, point and all of Island Beach. This year not much sharking chatter for ocean county out there from the surf reports on several sites.
I did read that the shark bite on lbi was better than north of barnegat. I dont know a heck of a lot about cape may but it seems that the water stays warmer down there in the summer. That might be the ticket or there might be more bait in the surf for the sharks down there. I can tell you this - for some reason cape may seems to attract the smaller sharks, the smooth dogfish. I took my wife down there last year and we watched some fishermen on the beach on the daytime. All they were catching was dogfish. So many that I was wondering how they were not bothering the bathers. Most were very small like 12-20". Based on that I assumed cape may is like a birthing ground for sharks. Whether this translates to brown sharks too I don't know. I am just saying that with all the internet sites out there, even the betty and nicks reports, it does not seem that ocean county was that great for sharking this summer.

bababooey
08-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Also I remember reading a report on here in the august fishing reports from someone who got sharks at lbi - wasn't that you?

robmedina
08-22-2013, 05:56 PM
@ bababooey ^^^^^^

Yes, I did manage one a few weeks ago. Since then we got that real bad storm (tornado in some areas) and it cooled everything down. The water is still a bit cool in LBI- I think if I were going to get a shark- it would have to be further south.

If I don't get a big shark this year it wont hurt my feelings- there is always next year. With the fall run inching closer it will be easy to forget about the sharks, LOL!

jigfreak
08-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Fished all over last night back and front. Full moon current was strong. Finally managed one 22" weakie on soft rubber in the back. Still swimming. Ocean county.
Rob I agree with bababooey, the ocean temperatures have been about 4-5 degrees cooler this summer.

storminsteve
08-24-2013, 11:07 AM
fished the navy pier the last two nights.This is the first I heard of the explosion.im surprised they let us fish.tuesday got 2 more weaks.last night all big blue fish.

Glad nothing happened to stop you from fishing chas. Really enjoying your reports. Catch em up! ledhead love that you are crushing the croakers. I hope the gator blues come in and crush them too!
I was out in nomoco Fri night. Fished the last part of the tide. Picked up one short bass, and fluke, and had some bluefish nips. Must have been snappers because I didn't land any. Waiting patiently for more big bluefish to show up. All on bucktail and pork.

ledhead36
08-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Hit the full moon backbay yesterday. Top of the tide was good but there was some debris to deal with. Incoming was best. Fat croakers were still around. I got some spot too and chunked for a few blues to 5#. I netted some mullet near one of the creeks not too great there weren't too many. I chunked the mullet with the croakers side by side and the croakers outfished the mullet.

cowherder
08-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the reports fellas. I am so drooling waiting for the reports of the big blues or albies. Should be any day now. Steve congrats on the striper must of been nice to see that for a change!

jigfreak
08-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Relatively smooth weather predicted for the next 7days other than tue and wed. This could be the week the albies show up.

buckethead
08-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Nice reports guys. I am so tired of fluke. Can't wait for the fighting fish to return. Let's hope for a good fall.

bababooey
08-24-2013, 01:17 PM
So you don't consider fluke as fighting fish? Not worthy?

hookset
08-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Sorry bababooey I have to agree with buckethead. A 5 year old can catch a fluke. There is not much fight in them. They are tasty that's for sure. Unless you're talking doormats they are about as exciting to catch as snapper blues. Same thing for snappers, run a snapper popper across the water, you got snappers. Tip it with spearing or squid, you got more snappers. Fluke are great to fill the summer void when a lot of the other fish leave because of high water temperature. As far as challenging once you get the technique down it's not too hard to catch them. They are aggressive feeders you put the bait past their mouths at a speed slow enough they can grab it and they will. Thats one of the reasons the party boats hate the moon tides the drift is too fast to present to the fluke on the bottom. If you're in a smaller boat you can power drift and change the speed by running the motor. That becomes more difficult to do with a party boat.

Fluke and snapper blues are the fish to catch when you are bringing the kids, and want to make sure they catch something so they are not bored.
Even big croakers and hickory shad put up more of a fight than fluke. No worries it's all good. Just not my preference for a tug at the end of the line either. Bass and blues are much more fun for me. My .02 only. no offence to anyone out there who loves fishing for fluke.
Congrats on the bass steve nice work.

Monty
08-24-2013, 02:36 PM
So you don't consider fluke as fighting fish? Not worthy?

Great reports all.
Catching a Fluke for me us a fluke.
I target Bass and Blues from March to December.
Some mornings the False Albies.
Enjoy the challenge of catching the Bass and Blues on artificials more so than catching Fluke.

VSdreams
08-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Fished ocean county above island beach yesterday from 6:30-8:30pm. I had good expectations as they have been catching a lot of fluke near the inlet and I didn't want to pay to fish in the park so I figured this would be good. Got 2 short fluke on gulp. One bluefish or something else bit my gulp in half so the blues might be coming back around. I didn't like the water was thinking it would have been better if I fished the high tide but did not have enough time to stick around and wait that long. Stiil it was a nice time and sunset.

paco33
08-25-2013, 02:04 PM
:skunk:this am. Somoco.

baitstealer
08-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Same for me yesterday paco. Fished near an inlet and came home eau de pepe la pew! It was overcast and raining so maybe the fish were on vacation.:)

jigfreak
08-25-2013, 02:54 PM
I didn't like the water was thinking it would have been better if I fished the high tide but did not have enough time to stick around and wait that long. Stiil it was a nice time and sunset.

Fish closer to high tide next time. Low tide has not been to great to me this year either.

Monty
08-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Fished Bayside this morning 1:30-8:30. Beautiful night out there. Covered a lot of ground but ended up with the skunkaroo.
Lost a fish that went airborne on me, had a white and black Hogy bit by a blue plus a bunch of hits on assorted wood and teasers that I just could not hook up with.
Even had a fish explode on a Surfstix panted pencil that did not connect. Had a great time out there.

jigfreak
08-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Beautiful night out there. Covered a lot of ground but ended up with the skunkaroo.

My report was the same but it really wasn't great for me the effing south wind was blowing all night. Fished moco last night. South wind sucks, not much more to say.

storminsteve
08-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Hate the s wind too jigfreak. At least you tried.:fishing:

basshunter
08-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Gotta be in it to win it.

chas527
08-28-2013, 09:56 AM
fished the navy pier the last 3 nights.Weakes seem like there gone,crokers are still there and getting big,blues starting to come in strong. and stripers are starting to show up.my friend got a 20 pounder Monday night on bunker.

robmedina
08-28-2013, 11:48 AM
fished the navy pier the last 3 nights.Weakes seem like there gone,crokers are still there and getting big,blues starting to come in strong. and stripers are starting to show up.my friend got a 20 pounder Monday night on bunker.:drool::drool: yeah baby!!!!!

storminsteve
08-28-2013, 12:49 PM
X2!!!! Awesome chas that is the first good news of decent bass being around in NJ in weeks. wtg!

plugcrazy
08-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Fished somoco this morning before the rain. A few small fluke in the wash. Chas you are on a roll you are crushing it congrats.

VSdreams
08-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Cannot wait for some striped ones to show up again. I agree with PC, Chas you are dialed in thanks for the the reports.

cowherder
08-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Great reports guys. Now all we need is some albies and some monster blues to gang up in the surf and we will be golden!

VSdreams
08-29-2013, 11:09 AM
nice going chas.

surferman
08-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Chas -way to find the big ones! Fished cape may this morning 5-7am outgoing tide the water was a little dirty. Picked up a few croaker wth fishbites. 2 small dogs as well.

seamonkey
08-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the report surferman.

hookset
08-29-2013, 05:42 PM
Was out yesterday 4 to 6 looking for the albies. Conditions were perfect overcast and slight drizzle. Good expectations but no dice.

cowherder
08-29-2013, 05:52 PM
Hey at least you tried dude. Better than sitting home on the couch. Better luck next time. Hoping to hear reports of them soon.

buckethead
08-29-2013, 06:12 PM
^^^ Albies will be here on Sept 3, one day after all the tourists go home.;)

robmedina
08-30-2013, 12:03 PM
fished around LBI- tried by the lighthouse, lost way too many rigs. went out back, found a spot to try. Soon after being there fish were eating peanut bunker - threw a bunch of things, metal, bucktail, poppers, flies- grabbed a white swimbait and it got inhaled by a 17.5" weakfish. threw it out again and a blue fish decimated it. I did not have any more swimbaits so that weakfish was the only one. That is my first weakfish- so I was pretty happy. I can cross that species off my list , now black drum, red drum and Albies!

storminsteve
08-30-2013, 04:57 PM
That is my first weakfish- so I was pretty happy.

:thumbsup:Congrats on your first weakfish. They are beautiful fish and hit and fight differently than bass or bluefish.

basshunter
08-30-2013, 05:02 PM
You never forget your first. Good job rob.

jigfreak
08-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Good one rob. Did you kiss it?
Fished the front last night for a change up. It sucked. no love.

robmedina
08-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Thanks guys, SS- yes they are beautiful- I could not get over how gorgeous they actually are. Jig freak- yeah, no kisses from me with those fangs hanging down, lol! basshunter- nope, I don't think I will ever forget that fish. It made my day.

buckethead
08-31-2013, 12:02 PM
Fished way in the back yesterday, ocean county. Fishing was pretty slow until about 1 hour after high. Managed 2 weakies on pink rubber fin S and jig, released. It only lasted for about an hour and then back to a dead zone.

hookset
08-31-2013, 12:19 PM
wtg on your first weakie rob.

storminsteve
08-31-2013, 12:44 PM
fished nomoco last night from 10-2am incoming tide. The beginning was lame it was all dirty water. Managed 1 small blue on bucktail. Bad timing for the high tide this week. Hope someone has better luck than I did.

storminsteve
08-31-2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks guys, SS- yes they are beautiful-- yeah, no kisses from me with those fangs hanging down, lol!

Dude you should see the ugly mug on a stargazer, ever catch or try to kiss one of them? Compared to them the weakfish look like gothic beauty queens.:rolleyes:

seamonkey
08-31-2013, 05:06 PM
Am I the only one waiting for Monday to come and go so the bennies can leave and we get our fishing spots back?:drool:

VSdreams
09-13-2013, 02:25 PM
The fire -

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_jersey&id=9212322
http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/static/art/global/icon_wabc_byline.gif By Bill King, Eyewitness News
MIDDLETOWN (WABC) -- At least eight sailors were injured after an explosion and fire at the Naval Weapons Station Earle in Middletown, New Jersey, Tuesday morning.

Naval officials confirm that some kind of explosion happened during maintenance work on a 35-foot utility vessel in one of the buildings along the waterfront around 9 a.m.
It appears some kind of welding accident took place inside one of the buildings on the site. The blast blew a hole through the roof of the building.
Officials say one person was seriously hurt, while seven others suffered non-life threatening injuries, primarily smoke inhalation. The damage from the explosion was contained within the boathouse area, and the situation is stabilized.
Ammunition and ordnance operations at the weapons station were not affected by the accident.
"It was nowhere near any of the ordinance operations or any ammunition that was moving," base Commander John Dunne said. "There was none of that, so this was a self-contained event...I don't know the extent of what they were doing, but I would say that anytime you can walk away, you're doing well when you have a mishap like this."
The identities of the injured personnel are being withheld until family members have been notified.
According to its website, the Naval station mainside is located in Colts Neck, and the Waterfront is in the Leonardo section of Middletown. The two areas are connected by a private, federally-owned roadway. Colts Neck sits in the heart of New Jersey's horse farming region and is only 20 minutes away from the famed Jersey Shore. Leonardo is located on Sandy Hook Bay overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and the New York skyline.

When you think about that fire and the munitions they bring in there it could have been a lot worse. Thank God no one was killed.
Found this in the Monmouth Journal.
http://themonmouthjournal.com/

Explosion at Naval Weapons Station Earl sends 8 to the hospital
By Susan Paviluk
The Monmouth Journal

NAVAL WEAPONS STATION EARLE — An explosion on Tuesday morning at the Naval Weapons Station Earle Marine Boat Repair Shop, located in the base’s Middletown Township section, sent eight people to the hospital, according to the Navy.
According to Naval Weapons Station Earle Public Information Officer Mike Brady, one person remained hospitalized as of Thursday morning with serious injuries, including a broken arm, and seven others sustained minor injuries, mostly smoke inhalation, following the explosion.
Boatswain's Mate Chief Andre Wilkes, Machinist's Mate Chief Stacy Burleson, Machinist's Mate First Class Matt Wister, Machinist's Mate First Class Heath Maloon, Engineman Third Class Ashley Pitman, Hull Technician First Class Christopher Giannini, Lt. Jeff Dennison and Firefighter Inspector Michael Donahue all received medical treatment as a result of the incident.
All personnel were taken to area hospitals. The Navy is not releasing the name of the injured person still hospitalized.
The explosion occurred at approximately 9 a.m. while personnel were doing routine maintenance on a utility boat. The damage was contained to the boathouse area and ammunition and ordnance operations were not affected.
Naval Weapons Station Earle is a United States Navy base with a 2.9-mile pier in Sandy Hook Bay where ammunition can be loaded and unloaded from warships at a safe distance from heavily-populated areas.

The station is divided into two sections, the mainside, located in parts of Colts Neck Township, Howell Township, Wall Township and Tinton Falls and the waterfront area (which includes the pier complex), on Sandy Hook Bay, located in the Leonardo section of Middletown Township. The areas are connected by Normandy Road, a 15-mile military road and rail line.

VSdreams
09-13-2013, 02:28 PM
You are the man Monty.
Well the family and I went to IBSP for the day. We arrived there at 10am. I stopped at grumpys and got some fresh bunker for sharking even though I was not too optimistic about my chances. We drove down to area 21 to "get away" from the crowds only to find crowds. It wasn't quite what I had expected. In my minds eye I imagined wide open beaches with people scarcely spread out. OK, yeah on what planet, right! Well anyway- I went down in between a guy fishing and people swimming. An older gent to my right seemed to look at me with disgust as I set my rods into the sand via their sand spike. I saw him nod with disappointment after looking my way for a few moments. I thought that was odd because I remember passing a sign that said no swimming beyond this point on the main road- so I was under the impression that any area beyond that point would be for fisherman. Ok I know- on what planet.

Somehow I missed this the first time. One of the nicest reports I have read on here. Thanks for sharing it dude.