PDA

View Full Version : a word to the wise- check your fish finder rigs....

robmedina
08-12-2013, 04:13 AM
I don't know what kind you guys use, but I have some black plastic ones with a black snap. Well yesterday casting my bait out I noticed the biat just kept floating back in- when I reeled it all the way in I noticed the sinker was gone. I thought the snap opened and off it went but in actuality the little plastic circle that held the snap opened up. What? they make that little ring out of plastic? why in the world would they make that thing out of plastic....well anyway. It's like they say "you get what you pay for" I will be paying closer attention to the fishfinder rigs I purchase from now on.

J Barbosa
08-12-2013, 07:14 AM
The white or black ones are made of very thin plastic and **** ***. If the plastic ring doesn't open up the braid will just cut through them.

You want to buy the ones that are much thicker. In most NJ shops these are yellow but I have also seen the same ones sold in green/blue.

Ask for braid friendly fish finders, they are made of much heavier plastic. I cast 8-12oz plus bait and never had one break on me. They will start to wear down over time but it takes more than a few outings for you to see where the braid creates a groove.

finchaser
08-12-2013, 07:01 PM
yellow and green/blue are made for braid ,white and black are made for mono only. don't fish bait is a sure cure:HappyWave:

robmedina
08-13-2013, 04:04 AM
I will have to look at the ones I get more closely. I only use the fish finder rigs on my mono leader so they never touch braid. I guess I just bought some cheap ones.

baitstealer
08-13-2013, 11:28 AM
I saw some ones that were different in the bait shop I stopped at and I did not know the difference. Thanks for explaining that.