PDA

View Full Version : reel spooled with braid at tackle shop

robmedina
08-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Does anyone do this? Of course the spools come in 150 yards, 300 yards, 500 yards, 1500 yards and 3000 yards. My reel takes 417 yards lets say- 500 yards would work but it is hard to find 500 yards spools- so if it isn't available I have to go with 1500 yards or use mono backing and put the 300 yards on that they readily sell.

So that made me think- would it be cheaper (probably not) better (probably) to take my reel to a bait store and have them load it with the braid poundage I want? Has anyone done this before and if so what is the cost usually?

hookset
08-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Rob 500 yds is a lot-o-braid. Is this for the surf or are you fishing offshore as well?
jmo but 300 yards will cover most surf and back bay situations. Why spend for all the extra unless you are sharking?
They usually put some backing on it if you have it done at a shop. The only negative is that most of the shops I know use power pro. I really don't like that brand so I do it myself.

buckethead
08-16-2013, 01:31 PM
If you have a preference for braid that they don't carry you could always buy it somewhere else and ask them to spool it up for you. Of course this would assume you have a good relationship with the owner, and that you are not just using them to spool your reels. I would also offer to pay them for it too and the backing as well. That way he can make something on the transaction. What has happened to me on the rare times I have done that is they put the braid on for a nominal charge. If you are concerned about how well-filled the spook will be a tackle shop is a good choice as most do this every day.

robmedina
08-16-2013, 03:22 PM
thanks HS & BH, nah I was thinking more along the lines that since the spool capacity is say 560 yards of x pound braid- I could try and find a 500 yard spool and not worry about the 60 yards, or buy a 300 yard spool and use some backing, or a tackleshop could put the correct amount on- I know I would have to pay for them spooling the reel but was curious as to what they charge.
I will be honest with you, I don't believe in paying someone else for something I can do myself, but I certainly believe in paying someone for something I do not want to do myself. That being said- I don't mind spooling the reel myself I was just looking at the options. Changing the oil in my truck- yeah , no thanks.

AS for capacity- why do I need more than 300? Well the reel has a large capacity spool and yes I use that reel for sharks when it is shark season. I just filled the reel today with 30# braid as backing and about 300 yards of 65# braid on top. It ill do. I don't think most of the things I catch are going to take 300 yards out but just incase I catch that 150 pounder I at least have a shot if he does.

finchaser
08-16-2013, 09:29 PM
I only fill mine with 150yds braid with mono backing there's no bass alive going to run 1 and a 1/2 footballs fields

surfstix1963
08-17-2013, 03:43 AM
X2 ^^^^^

storminsteve
08-17-2013, 08:48 AM
AS for capacity- why do I need more than 300? Well the reel has a large capacity spool and yes I use that reel for sharks when it is shark season. I just filled the reel today with 30# braid as backing and about 300 yards of 65# braid on top. It ill do. I don't think most of the things I catch are going to take 300 yards out but just incase I catch that 150 pounder I at least have a shot if he does.

Rob I am curious as to how much line you have ever used at one time? For example, if you got a nice size shark how much did he take on his run? I know they get giant ones down in Fla so you would definitely need that extra capacity, But for up in NJ, 300 yards sounds like a good fit. I don't fish for sharks as much as you do so maybe you would want to load it up. I was just thinking that it might be a little bit of ovekill, as finchaser and surfstix suggested. You can put as much line as you want on a reel, it's up to you. Just wondering if you would really use it in most sitiuations. It's all good, though, whatever makes you happy. If you are really searching for that one giant in NJ, go for it!:HappyWave:

robmedina
08-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Rob I am curious as to how much line you have ever used at one time? For example, if you got a nice size shark how much did he take on his run? I know they get giant ones down in Fla so you would definitely need that extra capacity, But for up in NJ, 300 yards sounds like a good fit. I don't fish for sharks as much as you do so maybe you would want to load it up. I was just thinking that it might be a little bit of ovekill, as finchaser and surfstix suggested. You can put as much line as you want on a reel, it's up to you. Just wondering if you would really use it in most sitiuations. It's all good, though, whatever makes you happy. If you are really searching for that one giant in NJ, go for it!:HappyWave:

Well Steve it's like this. I am sick in the head, LOL! The biggest creature I have had on line is probably that first ray I caught earlier this summer. It took out some line on a few runs but no where even close to 300. However, I have read where guys were spooled lately so my thinking process is to be ready just in case. as far as braid vs mono backing- I like uniformity, again- due to be sick in the head...But for the most part you guys are all correct- I will probably never ever need that much line.

The other side note is the reel I just got is an 8500 size- man that sucker is heavy. This set up will be my bait rod- period. No double duty for this rig. I have the same rod but in the conventional orientation. I have a small baitcast reel on it. That sucker is super light and it will be my plugging rod- besides I like casting reels better for artificials anyway. but I love my little 9' rod with the 5500 reel- but it too is a little heavy-
Now with the 9' rod I have the reel spooled with 30# super slick 8 braid (which I love by the way- smooth line!) I foul hooked a good size ray and even though I have a 20# tippet on it and the fish took some runs and I had a lot of pressure on him- this rig was more than adequate to handle him.

Part of this overkill mentality is my ignorance to what it takes to fight a large fish. In the freshwater world- guys use 60# braid to fish for 5 lb bass LOL! But it seems like the opposite in saltwater- Well short story long- I am learning. I hope I at least give you guys something to chuckle at.

BassBuddah
08-17-2013, 10:38 AM
The other side note is the reel I just got is an 8500 size- man that sucker is heavy. This set up will be my bait rod- period. No double duty for this rig.
Well short story long- I am learning. I hope I at least give you guys something to chuckle at.

An 8500 series would be pretty heavy, rob. I agree, best to use that strictly for bait and wait. Casting that over and over would be a strain after a few hours. Remember that we are all learning, every day of our lives. Until we are dead. Good luck