PDA

View Full Version : NJ Fishing Reports for September 2013.....wwwStripersAndAnglers.com

DarkSkies
09-01-2013, 06:17 PM
**Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING. Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED.
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

**For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
Out Front (Ocean) OR -- Out Back (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time.

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

1. If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:
If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish there today?

2. If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free. :fishing:

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
GEI - Great Egg Inlet
TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
DB - Delaware Bay

DarkSkies
09-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Paco33,
you won the plug in the August 2013 random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:
PM me your address so I can send it out to ya!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits, or something similar.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)

Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site!:clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

J Barbosa
09-02-2013, 06:04 AM
Fished yesterday morning and caught a 19" fluke and a ton of shorts in the surf.

There's a decent amount of bait in the surf. I saw a few small schools of mullet, spearing, snappers to 1lb blues and a few hickories around.

storminsteve
09-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Nice jb. Fished this morning on the incoming tide 3-6a in nomoco. A few of those small blues on bucktail and pork. One short fluke, Didn't see a lot of mullet after 6 maybe because high tide was around that time. From 3-4 am I saw some schools of baitfish just out of reach. Prob mullet and bunker but didn't seem to be much on them.

seamonkey
09-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Glad to hear y'all got some. Fished cape may today before sunrise. It was nasty out, there was no real sunrise. Water was dirty and south wind was not too cool.:skunk:

robmedina
09-02-2013, 03:32 PM
wishing everyone a happy and healthy Labor day. Went out to LBI this morning. Started out back caught a few snapper blues on a small teaser rig. I threw a cast net in and got about 50 peanut bunker and a couple snappers mixed in. My buddy Mike got 1 black sea bass. We went out front for the heck of it. I almost caught a 100# and 200# surfer (a girl and a guy- respectively) who completely ignored my line in the water and surfed right over the line. Water was cool and the beach looked like a fall beach- can't wait for another couple of weeks!

bababooey
09-02-2013, 04:41 PM
rob any pics of the surfer chick. Was she wearing a bikini? We love bikini pics.:drool:
Happy and healthy labor day to all the members and their families.

finchaser
09-02-2013, 09:39 PM
3 bass to 29" and 5 blues in the 5 to 7 pound range all on bucktails all still swimming in the back. Ocean dropped to 66 degrees from 75, with all the south winds may not see ALBIE's this year as all the lumps and bumps are void of bait and them and the head boats have had none up to 20 miles out

J Barbosa
09-03-2013, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the reports. Would anyone be able to estimate how big the mullet you are seeing now? Any corncobs in there or all they all the finger mullet size?

small 3-5" size.

SharkHart
09-03-2013, 07:07 PM
Returned to the night scene first time out in the dark since memorial day, the results were great. The weakies are in full force in the barny bay. Landed close to 30 lost many more lots of hits on the whole outgoing tide. Chartreuse mullet gulps were hot. Fish were mostly 16" to 19" a few made it to 23". The peanuts were present and the weakies were harassing them constantly. Weird how patterns have changed not a single blue there, years past sept was a fight to get through the small blues to the weaks.

storminsteve
09-03-2013, 07:15 PM
30 weakfish you crushed em! Congrats great report has me psyched!

jigfreak
09-03-2013, 07:43 PM
^^^^^ :thumbsup: Nice work SH.

finchaser
09-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Returned to the night scene first time out in the dark since memorial day, the results were great. The weakies are in full force in the barny bay. Landed close to 30 lost many more lots of hits on the whole outgoing tide. Chartreuse mullet gulps were hot. Fish were mostly 16" to 19" a few made it to 23". The peanuts were present and the weakies were harassing them constantly. Weird how patterns have changed not a single blue there, years past sept was a fight to get through the small blues to the weaks. Way to go matt you commuting back and forth

robmedina
09-03-2013, 08:08 PM
SharkHart- nice job! I plan on hitting them tomorrow night!

SharkHart
09-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Yep making the long drive, the key is finding them peanuts

finchaser
09-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Yep making the long drive, the key is finding them peanuts
you want company call me

hookset
09-03-2013, 09:29 PM
moco in the back tonight. Outgoing tide a few cocktail blues and one small weakfish on small finS and 1 oz. Nice going on the weakies shark I thought there would be a few more where I fished there was a lot of bait but mostly small bait.

VSdreams
09-03-2013, 09:55 PM
small 3-5" size.

Thanks jb. Great reports fellas. Nothing but the skunk tonight, Somoco surfside. Nice night but no one told the fish. Sharkhart don't think I ever caught 30 weakfish in a night that is a fantastic night of catching congrats.

buckethead
09-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Nice catching SH. Peanuts or small bait are the key that's for sure. Fished this morning 4-7:30 toward top of the tide. A few tailor blues and 1 short bass in nomoco. Pig and jig.

storminsteve
09-04-2013, 07:33 PM
No reports or sightings anywhere of inshore/surf albies yet?

hookset
09-04-2013, 07:50 PM
^^Heard rumors of some caught off li from some guys I work with but no real confirmations.
They haven't even been caught off Montauk yet. This may turn out to be a sucky year for the albies from the surf. I feel like a goog, thought for sure they would be around by now. sharkheart great report congrats.

cowherder
09-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Hey albies would be nice but beggars can't be choosers. I would be happy with some monster blues.:viking:

ledhead36
09-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Great to hear you are getting weakfish like that shark hart. They are in the raritan bay but not schooled up like that yet. I hit the bay for the last 2 hours of the incoming tide tonight. Some deeper water looking for weakfish or stripers. Was getting a lot of spot and some giant sized croakers bigger than 1 1/2 lbs. Decided to throw out half a big spot letting the blood circulate in the water. Good thing I had my rod close to me ended up with a 12lb bluefish I was lucky I had 60 lb test for a leader and he got it in the corner of his mouth with a circle. Nice night out there although the water was a little dirty.

captnemo
09-04-2013, 08:46 PM
No reports or sightings anywhere of inshore/surf albies yet?

Not from the surf but they finally found some at Barnegat Ridge-

Capt. Dave De Gennaro reports bonito and liittle tunny are finally abundant on Barnegat Ridge, and he'll be running open trips for them on his Hi-Flier from Barnegat.

cowherder
09-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Nice going ledhead I would love to catch one of those blues hope some more come around!

hookedonbass
09-04-2013, 10:29 PM
wtg gents!

robmedina
09-05-2013, 06:34 AM
Fished the back bays of LBI last night. We changed things up a little bit and targeted puppy drum. We caught black sea bass, those little oyster toads, spots, dogfish, eels, a weakfish a 18" striper and finally a puppy drum. My buddy Mike caught the drum. He said it fought harder than any striper he ever caught. It was about 23-24" long. He weighed it at home and the scale said 7lbs but that fish felt heavier. We were using shredder crab. We fished the last 2 hours of outgoing and first 2 hours of incoming- The weakfish and the drum bit on incoming. After I got all my rigs slimmed with eels I was done.

DarkSkies
09-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Glad to hear some of ya's are out and working the water. If you know structure and bait patterns, there have been some fish in the back bays all summer but fishing has been spotty. IMO the high water temps were not enough to spur the more aggressive action some of us live for. That is beginning to change. Good fishing is right around the corner. Catch em up. :HappyWave:

clamchucker
09-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Yes dark skies the mullet should be starting to leave the bays very soon. Either this moon cycle or the full moon whch is 2 weeks from todays new moon.

hookset
09-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Nice going on the puppy drum rob they are good eating when they are small. As for the mullet I hope they hold out until october. Any of the mullet I have seen are still small. My bud was trying to net some yesterday in the back and he said the biggest ones were 5" and he was netting about half as much as last year. They need a little more time to fatten up. Love those corn cobs thats when I start throwing big plugs at night.

wish4fish
09-05-2013, 05:17 PM
ya the mullet are smaller this year didn see any corn cobs yet i dont kno if its sandy or whatever its crazy upside down world like ledhead said me and him been catching mad croakers and spot the best year in the last 5 so if they are so thick where all the mullet last year there was zillions of them and so many corncobs

wish4fish
09-05-2013, 05:20 PM
hey rob wanted to ask u a question u get the puppy drum down in south jerz we never get the small ones but get the monsters in the spring do u have those small ones all summer or do they just come in for the fall? thanks dude

buckethead
09-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Fished nomoco from 5:30-8pm incoming tide. It was a little breezy but the fish didn't mind. Picked up a bakers dozen small blues and some hickories as well. Small ava and teaser did the trick.

robmedina
09-05-2013, 09:55 PM
hey rob wanted to ask u a question u get the puppy drum down in south jerz we never get the small ones but get the monsters in the spring do u have those small ones all summer or do they just come in for the fall? thanks dude

hey wish4fish I wish I was qualified to answer your question but this is my first year in the salt. from what I am told the puppy drum come around in august. not sure how long they stay.

wish4fish
09-06-2013, 12:09 PM
dude tks for the answer and tite lines to u. ledhead an i fished the bay last nite and the bigger blue dogs starting to hit it started with croakers and spot and we chunked em for the magic hour before hi tide and they were eating the chunks we got tons o the croaks n spots and kept em. and got 5 blues to 10lbs we didnt want em gave to some mexican dudes that was near us.

baitstealer
09-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Oh man that is great news haven't seen a 10lb bluefish since May! Thanks for the report.

voyager35
09-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Heads up for the shore guys. The adult bunker have been coming into the bay at the end of day. Have seen them out there around the tip of the hook the last 2 trips while out there fluke fishing. It is possible the bigger bluefish you are seeing are chasing them.

jigfreak
09-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Fished ocean county this morning before work, hoping for some albies. Was a beautiful sunrise. Managed some small bluefish on metal but the tunoids didn't show. This was the third time looking for them. A few weeks ago I really thought it would happen sooner than this but the water has been too cold and the bait in the surf is different from last year - too scattered. I am jonesing for an albie. Wondering if we may not see them in the surf this year.

Nice work on the bigger bluefish fellas I would be happy with them as well.

porgy75
09-06-2013, 12:57 PM
jigfreak at least you got some fish congrats. I fished in somoco from 6-7:30. I think it was incoming tide. I used bombers, the sp, a bucktail and a diamond jig kept trying different things. Would have loved to catch a bluefish but I only got 2 sea robins on the metal. Good job with the big blues. I am hoping when the mullet start moving they will be there along the beach waiting for them and us to catch them.

seamonkey
09-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Love reading the reports about bluefish in the northern part of the state. I feel we get shortchanged in Cape May county except for a few weeks in the spring and the fall run. Snappers are around here but no real bruisers. Catch em up and congrats!

finchaser
09-06-2013, 03:45 PM
this AM 3 micro bass and 9 blues in the 5 to 6 pound range

storminsteve
09-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Nice finchaser now all we need is some bigger ones up north! I fished nomoco today around sunup. Picked up a few small blues not snappers but no bigger than 1 lb each. Also 2 hickory shad. The shad hit small redgill teaser the blues hit an ava oo7.

chas527
09-07-2013, 10:49 AM
took a walk along the beach in portmonmouth.i counted 105 dead horseshoe crabs, in just a mile.does any body know why they are dying.

storminsteve
09-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Did the sunup thing in nomoco today 5-7:30am. The blues were thicker and there seemed to be a lot of small bait around. Some birds and fish working further out but they were slow moving don't think it was the albies just more cocktail blues. Got almost 20 blues and 3 hickory shad. Ava and redgill teaser.

basshunter
09-07-2013, 11:14 AM
^^^Possible too much algae or too little oxygen. MHO.
nice report steve. finchaser happy to hear about bigger blues there have been a lot of aggressive snappers eating my gulp for the last few weeks its time for a change.

paco33
09-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Heads up for the shore guys. The adult bunker have been coming into the bay at the end of day. Have seen them out there around the tip of the hook the last 2 trips while out there fluke fishing. It is possible the bigger bluefish you are seeing are chasing them.

I think you are right voyager. It seems the party boats don't have to go out that far anymore for the big bluefish. Hopefully they will be in range soon.

paco33
09-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Chas something I found on horseshoe crabs. Dont know if it applies to where you are.

Pollution also is a possible threat to horseshoe crabs. People are using more pesticides on their lawns and farmland, and New Jersey and Delaware are spraying more for mosquito control. As a result, you get more chemicals washing into the water from the urban and agricultural runoff. Junk in the water causes problems, too. Sewage, factory waste, rainwater carrying pollutants from parking lots, yards and streams can kill clams and other animals that crabs use for food. Water pollution may weaken or kill horseshoe eggs and larvae.
http://library.thinkquest.org/J0110020/threat.html

plugcrazy
09-07-2013, 11:34 AM
^^^Possible too much algae or too little oxygen. MHO.
nice report steve. finchaser happy to hear about bigger blues there have been a lot of aggressive snappers eating my gulp for the last few weeks its time for a change.

paco that was pretty informative thanks for posting. I heard up in new england they don't like them but down by us and in the delaware bay everyone pretty much leaves them alone. Except for the poachers. basshunter I fish a lot in atlantic county and we have not had even the small snappers. Mostly croakers and spot, and always doggies and skates. Would love to see those bigger bluefish like you guys do.

ledhead36
09-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Chas I know that area you were walking in. Paco may be right with some of the possibilities he posted. Also around this time of year the water back there gets stagnant. I don't know if you remember this but in the last 10 years we have had fishkills at least 2 times that I recall. Massive peanut bunker die offs. Maybe it has something to do with the lower summer oxygen levels which also kills the fish. Haven't seen any dead peanut bunker or mullet back there this year so I am not certain. That water does get funny though when there aren't a lot of storms.
Also sometimes there are immigrants who fish along that shoreline. They hate the horseshoe crabs when they hook up with them and leave them on the beach.
Same thing with the sea robins. I believe madcaster posted a pic of a dead circle of sea robins in the dead things thread.

robmedina
09-07-2013, 03:00 PM
2 fat croakers and a weakie from the back bay last night. Saw the Rocket with fire trail- pretty cool even though I did not know they were launching a rocket and thought we were being invaded. tons of doggies. there were 3-4' brown sharks all over the bay eating peanut bunker. The water was extremely warm- may have a shot at albies after all.

buckethead
09-07-2013, 03:27 PM
The water was extremely warm- may have a shot at albies after all.

Good reports gents.
Skunk report. Hey rob maybe you will be luckier in south jersey hope you get a chance to find them.
I was out this AM looking for albies. Drove up and down the strip in 2 counties. Moco and Occo. No real signs of life in close. This is getting depressing they are not even getting them on the bluefish boats or at the shrewsbury rocks. finchaser nailed it when he said this could be the worst year for surf albies in some time.
I made a note to look in the sky for the rocket launch last night but by the time I remembered it was over.

finchaser
09-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Alibies were 40 to 60 miles off today

robmedina
09-07-2013, 05:50 PM
weird cause they were reported in the surf down in cape may a few days ago.

J Barbosa
09-07-2013, 07:16 PM
weird cause they were reported in the surf down in cape may a few days ago.

Rob, don't believe every report you read. I haven't heard of one reliable report of Albies inshore/surf.

Alibies were 40 to 60 miles off today

I can confirm this...monster sized Albies 30-50 miles out for us. These we're like 5x bigger than any albie I've ever seen in my life.

Fin, were you out there today? Beautiful 1-2ft seas made for a quick and comfortable ride out.

We couldn't keep the Albies out of our trolling spread for longer than a few minutes as they would just slam the spreader bars two/three at a time. Some were so big they were peeling line from 50W setups. If these fish move inshore (I don't think they will - water quality inshore sucks right now as Fin said on page 1) we would be seeing a lot of surf guys getting spooled.

The water quality 40 miles out is really good right now. Lots of life out there too.

We gave up on trolling after a while not being able to get past the falsies and started jigging the readings. We had the fish finder lit up from the sea bottom to the surface all sand eels and Albies. Drop to bottom, crank, crank, jig, Albie on!

Amazing what can change in a few hours...just the day before they only had a few falsies and a bunch of 80-100lb tuna. We only heard of a few YFT caught today out of a huge fleet of boats.

We had to give our arms a break stopped on a pot and had absolutely insane Mahi Mahi action. We could have caught our limit of 40 quickly if we wanted to. One of my favorite fish to eat, fresh sashimi tonight!

Went looking in different areas seeing if we could pull up an edible tuna but no luck.

My arms are absolutely shot.

I'm going to shoot the next person who says Albie or Falsie. Got it?

robmedina
09-08-2013, 06:17 AM
good report JB sounds like you guys had a great time.

cowherder
09-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Fished nomoco for sunrise and 2 hours after. The small blues were all over on the tiny bait. Picked up a bunch on diamond jig and teaser. Also a few hickories.

cowherder
09-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Rob, don't believe every report you read. I haven't heard of one reliable report of Albies inshore/surf.

I can confirm this...monster sized Albies 30-50 miles out for us. These we're like 5x bigger than any albie I've ever seen in my life.

Fin, were you out there today? Beautiful 1-2ft seas made for a quick and comfortable ride out.

We couldn't keep the Albies out of our trolling spread for longer than a few minutes as they would just slam the spreader bars two/three at a time. Some were so big they were peeling line from 50W setups. If these fish move inshore (I don't think they will - water quality inshore sucks right now as Fin said on page 1) we would be seeing a lot of surf guys getting spooled.

The water quality 40 miles out is really good right now. Lots of life out there too.

We gave up on trolling after a while not being able to get past the falsies and started jigging the readings. We had the fish finder lit up from the sea bottom to the surface all sand eels and Albies. Drop to bottom, crank, crank, jig, Albie on!

Amazing what can change in a few hours...just the day before they only had a few falsies and a bunch of 80-100lb tuna. We only heard of a few YFT caught today out of a huge fleet of boats.

We had to give our arms a break stopped on a pot and had absolutely insane Mahi Mahi action. We could have caught our limit of 40 quickly if we wanted to. One of my favorite fish to eat, fresh sashimi tonight!

Went looking in different areas seeing if we could pull up an edible tuna but no luck.

:clapping:Awesome report jb sounds like you really got into em!
So - will you be taking any more offshore trips? Albie looking forward to the reports. :ROFLMAO :HappyWave:

fishinmission78
09-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Fished Island beach from 6-8. Down by the inlet. There was about 45 minutes of bluefish and bird activity around 6:30. Picked up a few small blues and robins on metal. For once the winds shifted and the flies weren't that bad.

bababooey
09-08-2013, 01:29 PM

John there was an old song in the 70's. Michael Jackson, Albie there? Ever hear of it? :moon: :HappyWave: :laugh:

storminsteve
09-08-2013, 01:48 PM
^^^John I could not resist had to jump in on the pile too.:HappyWave:

In a famous movie the lead actor used the phrase: "Albie back!!!!!"
Is this a true or falsie statement?
If so what was that movie?

Monty
09-08-2013, 01:55 PM
:clapping:Awesome report jb sounds like you really got into em!
So - will you be taking any more offshore trips? Albie looking forward to the reports. :ROFLMAO :HappyWave:

John there was an old song in the 70's. Michael Jackson, Albie there? Ever hear of it? :moon: :HappyWave: :laugh:

^^^John I could not resist had to jump in on the pile too.:HappyWave:

In a famous movie the lead actor used the phrase: "Albie back!!!!!"
Is this a true or falsie statement?
If so what was that movie?
:ROFLMAO:ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO

Well albie a monkeys uncle, you guys are corny....
Great report JB, sounds like an incredible time.

cowherder
09-08-2013, 02:21 PM
^^^^^^^^ This is great have to chime in again! Does anyone know if jbarbosa is a big dude or not. Don't want him to kick my *** for busting him.:scared:
Albie back. (great one bababooey)
Albie a monkeys uncle (lol monty)

Albiie there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy3coJZTbdY

albie gone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr2IPqV4Ssc

J Barbosa
09-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Lol...you guys have a hard time resisting temptation. Albie looking out for y'all this fall on the beaches.

I was pretty frustrated yesterday not being able to escape them but after sleeping on it and still having sore arms I realize what an amazing trip that was. I doubt I'll ever experience another Albie bite/size like that again.

Fished the surf this afternoon and the fluke fishing was very slow. I got five shorts for a few hours of work. Hickory shad and small blues showed up and we had some fun with them on light tackle. Water is a little stained from the blowing wind.

jigfreak
09-09-2013, 10:44 AM
That's a good albie report jb. Its a shame they have not been coming closer to the beach. Was out last night jigged 2 small weakies on rubber in the back near high tide, Fished this morning 7-8. The NE was cranking. In the past even though its a tough wind this would be good albie weather. I saw nothing. Managed a few small blues on the metal.

ledhead36
09-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Fished the bay yesterday 8-10p. It was windy and the water got dirty. Bite was off. You could definitely feel the difference. Only managed a few croakers and spot.

bababooey
09-09-2013, 11:28 AM

JB, was thinking about the fish you ran into. You said they were 5 times bigger than any albies you had ever seen, Are you talking 30lbs and up? If so was just wondering if you were referring to albacore or false albacore. Would like to hear more details on these fish and size if you are ok with providing them, thanks. It sounded like you had a great time thanks for the report.

bababooey
09-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Just noticed the post before this one was #2000 for me. Hate the player, not the game, *******. If you don't like my stripper panty stories don't read them. :naughty: :headbang: :wheeeee: :cool: :plastered::laugh:
Maybe DS will give me a trophy. :moon: :HappyWave:

hookset
09-09-2013, 11:46 AM
^^^ Dude. Just busting your balls. You don't normally find a guy willing to talk about his hooker exploits on the net, just saying. Didn't mean anything by what I said no offense intended.:HappyWave: Congrats on the 2000.

hookset
09-09-2013, 11:48 AM
jigfreak good deal on looking for the albies. Keep the faith. They may not show up in numbers but I am betting by October some one will get one from the surf. Might as well be one of us.

J Barbosa
09-09-2013, 12:57 PM
JB, was thinking about the fish you ran into. You said they were 5 times bigger than any albies you had ever seen, Are you talking 30lbs and up? If so was just wondering if you were referring to albacore or false albacore. Would like to hear more details on these fish and size if you are ok with providing them, thanks. It sounded like you had a great time thanks for the report.

They were false albacore in the 20-25lb range possibly a few bigger than that but we didn't weight any.

bababooey
09-09-2013, 07:14 PM
^^^^ Nice going that's big!

cowherder
09-09-2013, 07:20 PM
jb congrats on the albacore.

J Barbosa
09-09-2013, 08:23 PM
For the rest of you shore bound crabbers its time to get your last few crabs in for the season.

With the cooling overnight temps those crabs are one of the first species to begin moving out into deeper water.

My dad and brother were only able to catch six legal sized crabs in three hours...two per hour! Normal catch would have been a few dozen. They went early in the morning after a cool night, the afternoon would have been better.

I've already hung my crabbing nets away until May 2014.

It was a good year for crabbers in NJ!

Look out for a possible crabbing 201 tutorial over the winter. :HappyWave:

buckethead
09-10-2013, 08:55 AM
Nice catching on the albacore john. They may or may not come in close this year. For now we will have to live vicariously through reports like yours.

robmedina
09-10-2013, 10:21 AM
20-25lb albies...WOW! nah bro can't say I feel bad for your hurting arms...jealous would be the right word!

J Barbosa
09-10-2013, 08:05 PM
20-25lb albies...WOW! nah bro can't say I feel bad for your hurting arms...jealous would be the right word!

There still a little sore. :waaah:

finchaser
09-10-2013, 08:48 PM
6 blues 3 to 5 pounds and 2 bass all on jig head and 4 1/2 inch shaker tail in Arkansas shiner

bababooey
09-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Nice size blues finchaser most of the guys out there fishing the shoreline are getting the small snappers.

bababooey
09-11-2013, 05:54 PM
There still a little sore. :waaah:

Poor baby.:ROFLMAO
:HappyWave:

finchaser
09-11-2013, 08:25 PM
There still a little sore. :waaah: Guess if they were tuna your knuckles be dragging the ground too:HappyWave:

finchaser
09-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Nice size blues finchaser most of the guys out there fishing the shoreline are getting the small snappers. Haven't been out front yet

buckethead
09-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Fished somoco 7-8:30 tonight. S wind sucks. That's all I have to report.

J Barbosa
09-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Guess if they were tuna your knuckles be dragging the ground too:HappyWave:

Yep...never been that lucky before maybe next week for my birthday. I've read about some insane tuna trips and some this year are just unbelievable. Boats are coming back with 5,6,7 even 8 big eyes in the 200lb range.

I'll be glad to just see one boat side if I can make it out.

DarkSkies
09-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Just noticed the post before this one was #2000 for me. Hate the player, not the game, *******. If you don't like my stripper panty stories don't read them. :naughty: :headbang: :wheeeee: :cool: :plastered::laugh:
Maybe DS will give me a trophy. :moon: :HappyWave:

^^^ Dude. Just busting your balls. You don't normally find a guy willing to talk about his hooker exploits on the net, just saying. Didn't mean anything by what I said no offense intended.:HappyWave: Congrats on the 2000.

Bababooey, sorry no trophy, but congratulations anyway. :clapping: :thumbsup:
What I was able to do, at great personal expense, was create this sign for ya.....Hope ya get some laughs out of it...:HappyWave:

bababooey
09-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Bababooey, sorry no trophy, but congratulations anyway. :clapping: :thumbsup:
What I was able to do, at great personal expense, was create this sign for ya.....Hope ya get some laughs out of it...:HappyWave:

I am touched, DS! Like the Riverside Baptist too, that was the icing on the cake. Thanks.:HappyWave:
It's after 3 o'clock. I think I will pour a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon to celebrate.:)

storminsteve
09-12-2013, 03:29 PM
I am touched,

Dude you are so touched - by a personality disorder that is.:wheeeee:
Panties, high end escorts, I don't know what to expect when I click on one of your posts. I'm just bustin keep em coming.:HappyWave:
Fishing report, fished nomoco this morning from 5-6:30. It wasn't really that great as it was near the end of the outgoing but I did manage 3 small blues and one hickory. All on the metal and redgill combo.

porgy75
09-12-2013, 03:44 PM
haha thats funny lol! congrats bababooey always enjoy your posts. even the ones where you say crazy stuff. I fished moco before work today. The surf was not that clean there and the waves were causing some foam. I was throwing a double gulp rig and didnt get it out very far. One sea robin for me.

fishinmission78
09-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Heads up - don't even think of fishing Island Beach today unless you live down here. Finally starting to get a handle on the traffic. Yesterday and this morning was a nightmare with the fire hoses coming from the bay.

VSdreams
09-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the info dude. Thank God no one was hurt.

buckethead
09-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Fished moco last night first 2 hours of the outgoing. Rattle traps and needlefish. 2 bass to 27" and a few rogue bluefish to 8lbs. There was a lot of bait in the water. fishinmission thoughts and prayers to you and all who live there. Bless all the firefighters.

seamonkey
09-13-2013, 03:10 PM
Cape may from 5:30-7. Low water and it was slightly dirty. Blech.:skunk:

ledhead36
09-13-2013, 03:25 PM
I am touched, DS! Like the Riverside Baptist too, that was the icing on the cake. Thanks.:HappyWave:
It's after 3 o'clock. I think I will pour a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon to celebrate.:)

bababooey the official stripers and anglers funnyman.:laugh: Congrats always enjoy your posts.
Fished out back last night. Took a breather at the GGR until the rain was over. Went out again but fishing was definitely off. Only a few croakers.

storminsteve
09-13-2013, 03:38 PM
Nice going bucket! I think this weekend there could be some fish out there. The mullet did not move with the new moon hope they will start up around the 19th or sooner. I would really love to see some big blues and a few bass other than all these peeways and hickory I have been catching.

hookset
09-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Some rave about millertime. I say it's almost mullet time.:)
Congrats on the catching buckethead.

7deadlyplugs
09-13-2013, 05:21 PM
Nice going buckethead. Our run has not started yet. back bays only surf is pretty much dead.

jigfreak
09-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Congrats on the catching bucket.

storminsteve
09-14-2013, 08:17 AM
fished nomoco from 5-7am. The conditions seemed different and the water dirty. Not a heck of a lot of bait in the water like there previously has been. Where the heck are all these mullet? I guess its not time yet. Scored a few blues and one feisty hickory shad on metal and redgill.

plugcrazy
09-14-2013, 08:33 AM
Nice Steve! Something is better than nothing. Water is still a little too warm methinks.

robmedina
09-14-2013, 02:18 PM
fished out front in LBI this morning. One short fluke on one of my teasers. The surf was active- saw flounder come completely out of the water chasing bait which looked like it could have been mullet. I have never known flounder to jump out the water (breech). Tide was low so fishing was concentrated to small holes found. Good thing is I got to find some decent holes during low tide, although one hole has a nasty patch of muscles that has claimed 2 of my rigs.

on a side note- I bought a new rod and it came in yesterday for me to fish it today and find out I hated it. Tackledirect was gracious enough to allow me to exchange it without any paperwork.I ended up with the St Croix Triump 10' surf rod. I think (I think, I think, hmmm....yes I think) I will be happy with it.

jigfreak
09-14-2013, 04:01 PM
Fished the back bays deep in the night. Centered around the high tide. Found one weakfish after making 4 stops. Those were my top producing stops. The peanuts that had been schooled up have thinned out for some reason. Either that or alien spaceships are coming in in the middle of the night and netting them all. This was my third night out this week where I had no fish and saved by the bell by that one weakie.

jigfreak
09-14-2013, 04:03 PM
fished out front in LBI this morning. One short fluke on one of my teasers. The surf was active- saw flounder come completely out of the water chasing bait which looked like it could have been mullet. I have never known flounder to jump out the water (breech). Tide was low so fishing was concentrated to small holes found. Good thing is I got to find some decent holes during low tide, although one hole has a nasty patch of muscles that has claimed 2 of my rigs.

Fluke will tend to do that rob when the bait is in tight and moving down the beach. I saw some mullet in the back last night but they were fast moving. In the surf they are easier for the fish to ambush and you will see a lot of that until the end of october. Of course we can't keep them at that time but they are still fun to catch as they are the biggest fluke of the year.

hookset
09-14-2013, 04:11 PM
Hey at least you guys got some fish worthy of talking about. Fished somoco this morning around sunup. Got a double header of sea robins, then one more and snagged a skate, Metal and teaser. Rob I agree with what jigfreak said. When the bait is tight to the wash the fluke will hang there and at times you will see them jump clear out of the wash. Pretty cool siite to see.

robmedina
09-14-2013, 04:18 PM
yeah it was pretty wild- there were kings in the surf, probably craokers and spot too. An older guy was catching them on small hooks and bait- probably fishbites or clams- they were hitting my teaser but no hook ups- which is fine by me- I am gearing up in my mind for bigger bites of the striped kind.

buckethead
09-14-2013, 04:21 PM
was my third night out this week where I had no fish and saved by the bell by that one weakie.
Similar experience jigfreak. I decided to fish that one area on a hunch because I had seen some bait in the daytime. It paid off with some fish. Did the same routine last night and came up empty.

finchaser
09-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Fished 10 hours on boat today burnt about 125 gallons of fuel left 5:30 to troll found no bait no Bonita no albacore no Blues most of the lumps and bumps void of any life. Saw acres of bunker nothing in them. Places that were loaded with sand eels last week nada ( river and along the beach). Caught a few weakfish on the mussels beds they were being hammered latter on by gillnetters even though they were illegal size. :mad: Heavy south blow Thursday and Friday dropped water temp to 65 in some spots today which may have pushed the Albert's further off shore

robmedina
09-14-2013, 07:49 PM
"burnt about 125 gallons of fuel " -sounds like an expensive day. sad to hear that it is bad out there.

buckethead
09-14-2013, 10:20 PM
Fished 10 hours on boat today burnt about 125 gallons of fuel left 5:30 to troll found no bait no Bonita no albacore no Blues most of the lumps and bumps void of any life. Saw acres of bunker nothing in them. Places that were loaded with sand eels last week nada ( river and along the beach).

I found the same thing tonight finchaser. I caught bass and blues the other night because it was loaded with bait. Tonight no bait no nothing just like a dead sea out there.

buckethead
09-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Came up empty again tonight too. 7-9pm outgoing tide out front moco. Swell seemed to have died down a bit but no bait and no fish for me.

J Barbosa
09-15-2013, 07:11 AM
Look at what's sitting behind a 15' drop off.

robmedina
09-15-2013, 07:23 AM
baitdid you catch em up? wow, 74 degrees- and yet no albies?????

DarkSkies
09-15-2013, 12:13 PM
no albacore no Blues most of the lumps and bumps void of any life. Saw acres of bunker nothing in them. Places that were loaded with sand eels last week nada ( river and along the beach).

Finchaser is the bird dog for all of his friends who have boats. He's got an open invite on many of their rigs because he has a 6th sense when it comes to finding fish.

I remember being out there tuna fishin with him one time and he spotted tuna chicks without using binocs. The rest of needed binocs to see them, they were that far away. :bigeyes: We got there and sure enough, got into some yellowfins. That's why he's in high demand when there is a tournament. They know if he fishes with them they have a good chance of placing in that tourney.

As mentioned, he has a 6th sense when it comes to finding fish, of any species...rarely does he have a day on a boat where he can't find fish. When that happens, you really do know that despite some of the reports, pickins are slim out there.....
Sorry to hear that Pal...I know you tried....:thumbsup:

The situation so far this Fall, is not that great.....fish deep in the channels, on specific lumps, bayside or oceanside, specific areas (Mud Buoy, Mud Hole) the rocky areas off Monmouth County, or specific times and tides at night, Other than fluke, there is not a lot happening so far......
If you find actively feeding fish,
1. You many find them for a night, and then they are gone....
2. They have often been far out of reach of the surf crowd...
3. The inshore abundance we are used to seeing, is just not here yet....

When you have guys fishing the Shrewsbury Rocks this time of year, there are usually scattered reports of bass from that area.......There haven't been...and there are a lot of good guys out there looking.......
Also, the albies that a lot of us are hoping for, would have been abundant in the bluefish reports by now, and they are not....:(

Here's hoping the weeks ahead will get better.....When the mullet are consistently running tight to the beach all the above could change....hope that happens around this month's full moon, later in the week. :)

J Barbosa
09-15-2013, 01:22 PM
baitdid you catch em up? wow, 74 degrees- and yet no albies?????

Rob,

We couldn't get anything to hit the water was so dirty.

Didn't see any bait around either.

robmedina
09-15-2013, 01:31 PM
So DS what you are really saying is that I don't need to find fish...all I need to find is Fin!

DarkSkies
09-15-2013, 01:44 PM
^^ Rob, to hear the Grouchy Old Basstid tell it....I can't find a fish to save my life....and have to mug him, to have any chance of catching....:bucktooth:
(he conveniently forgets when I do find em on a Fri, I sometimes end up sleeping in my car for a few nights like a hobo until that bite is over...when you're as old as he is you tend to forget the minor details like that.....) :laugh: :HappyWave:

John, posting all those juicy FF pics.....with no follow up....what a tease you are..;) :HappyWave:..The best way I know to hit those few fish right now is to slow troll live spot from a yak....deep down....give it a shot....I may be forced to do that soon as well.....

A friend was out fishing 2 days this past week, same area you were in.... from the shoreline.
He and a partner got 75 croakers and spot one day, 57 the next, from shore.....said they were concentrated around the drop-offs like you said....his furthest casts produced the best....A smart fisherman might take the yak out at night....and bring a bucket of live spot with him.......I would have been out there doing that but as you said the water has been dirty.....may clear up in the next few nights....good luck and thanks for the report......:HappyWave:

finchaser
09-15-2013, 02:56 PM
IMO if you are in the bay fish the cleaner and cooler incoming water the out will remain dirty and warm as the nights cool it will get cold and dirty as the algae's in the back die and come out with the tide just my .02 reverse of spring.

robmedina
09-15-2013, 09:34 PM
went fishing with the most awesome dude I know, my Son. We had to stop in Browns Mills to pick up my new hitch rod holder that a guy made me. Then we hit the back bay with some blood worms. We got 1 small black sea bass, 1 eel and something pretty good sized- I wanted my son to bring it in so I got him to take the rod- he fought it for a few seconds and then it came un buttoned. I really wanted him to bring that fish in. We did not get anything else. Tide was coming in, it took 6oz to somewhat hold bottom (both my rods are rated for up to 4oz) I lost a bunch of sinkers but it was great having my son out there. He still doesn't quite like fishing but said he would go again- next time it will be clams and skates- at least I know they are plentiful. I got to put that boy on fish.

finchaser
09-16-2013, 08:17 AM
went fishing with the most awesome dude I know, my Son. We had to stop in Browns Mills to pick up my new hitch rod holder that a guy made me. Then we hit the back bay with some blood worms. We got 1 small black sea bass, 1 eel and something pretty good sized- I wanted my son to bring it in so I got him to take the rod- he fought it for a few seconds and then it came un buttoned. I really wanted him to bring that fish in. We did not get anything else. Tide was coming in, it took 6oz to somewhat hold bottom (both my rods are rated for up to 4oz) I lost a bunch of sinkers but it was great having my son out there. He still doesn't quite like fishing but said he would go again- next time it will be clams and skates- at least I know they are plentiful. I got to put that boy on fish. Go with DS on a marathon may take 2-3 days,4 tanks of gas and a few porto johns but he'll find you a fish plus you get to come home smelling like one it's the total package.

robmedina
09-16-2013, 12:24 PM
is that smell what they call "Eau de toilette "

surferman
09-16-2013, 02:31 PM
went fishing with the most awesome dude I know, my Son. I lost a bunch of sinkers but it was great having my son out there. He still doesn't quite like fishing but said he would go again- next time it will be clams and skates- at least I know they are plentiful. I got to put that boy on fish.

Best part of fishing right there is to have someone to enjoy it with. Great report thanks for sharing it. I fished cape may this weekend. Water not that great but did score a few kingfish and croakers on gulp bloodworms.

buckethead
09-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Nice report rob fishing with family is priceless. It's hard to keep the young folks interested nowadays. Good deal.

ledhead36
09-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Go with DS on a marathon may take 2-3 days,4 tanks of gas and a few porto johns but he'll find you a fish plus you get to come home smelling like one it's the total package.

You must know him well too.:laugh:
Fished early this morning a few hours before sunrise. The back bay water cleared up and the winds died down for once. There were some peanuts around. One net gave me more than enough. Using the peanuts and small clam strips nailed a mess of croakers, one short weakfish, and 2 short bass on the peanuts. Short fish returned.

cowherder
09-16-2013, 03:28 PM
went fishing with the most awesome dude I know, my Son. We had to stop in Browns Mills to pick up my new hitch rod holder that a guy made me. Then we hit the back bay with some blood worms. We got 1 small black sea bass, 1 eel and something pretty good sized- I wanted my son to bring it in so I got him to take the rod- he fought it for a few seconds and then it came un buttoned. I really wanted him to bring that fish in. We did not get anything else. Tide was coming in, it took 6oz to somewhat hold bottom (both my rods are rated for up to 4oz) I lost a bunch of sinkers but it was great having my son out there. He still doesn't quite like fishing but said he would go again- next time it will be clams and skates- at least I know they are plentiful. I got to put that boy on fish.

Great report rob you have a winner on your hands! ledhead good news about the peanut bunker have not seen anything bigger than rainfish the times I fished maybe its time to venture way in the back. Thanks for the heads up.

DarkSkies
09-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Go with DS on a marathon may take 2-3 days,4 tanks of gas and a few porto johns but he'll find you a fish plus you get to come home smelling like one it's the total package.

is that smell what they call "Eau de toilette "

You must know him well too.:laugh:

:don't know why: This is why I joined the Effumall Club....eff ya's all.....:2flip: :moon: :kiss: :clapping:
Thanks for the laughs.....:HappyWave:

finchaser
09-17-2013, 02:10 PM
But as VP I still have these

robmedina
09-17-2013, 03:38 PM
I want an effumall bumber sticker!

barrys
09-17-2013, 05:05 PM
But as VP I still have these
I would like one too. I don't say much but I'm here almost every day.

buckethead
09-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Whatever happened to killie and the effumall stickers? If I remember corrrectly he had a couple thousand of them and would send them out when you asked for one. This was a few years ago from my recollection.
Fishing report, fished moco from 6-8. Winds died down substantially but the surf still a little rough. Big S to N sweep. Lots of little jellyfish in the wash and the pockets. Picked up one small bluefish, A37 and teaser.

storminsteve
09-17-2013, 08:19 PM
I don't say much but I'm here almost every day.

:HappyWave:Welcome to the madhouse barrys. Where do you fish out of?

finchaser
09-17-2013, 10:04 PM
fished in the back7 to 9:30 found the mullet and it was game on 17 bluefish between 5 and 9 pounds all on bucktails and twister tail all still swimming. Killie is still around lives and works in Rockland county, NY I'll get some when I go to see him for lunch next week.

cowherder
09-17-2013, 11:09 PM
Hey barry welcome to the site.:HappyWave: Sorry but don't remember seeing you post here. Do you fish the surf or from a boat?
finchaser ka-boom 27 bluefish sounds like you really crushed em congrats!

finchaser
09-18-2013, 05:59 AM
sorry for typo was a little beat I had 17 friend had 10 had 27 on my brain

robmedina
09-18-2013, 06:33 AM
with the first (un)official weigh in at betty and nicks of a whopping 10lbs- gets me wondering. Is the first bass in the fall to be taken with regularity out front typically small until a little later in the run?

J Barbosa
09-18-2013, 08:29 AM
Its not fall yet :)

There are guys on here who were targeting and catching bass throughout the whole summer.

When the run begins you will see those weigh-ins jump up especially on the weekend.

porgy75
09-18-2013, 08:58 AM
fished in the back7 to 9:30 found the mullet and it was game on 17 bluefish between 5 and 9 pounds all on bucktails and twister tail all still swimming.

17 bluefish to 8 lbs is still an awesome catch congrats!

finchaser
09-18-2013, 01:36 PM
with the first (un)official weigh in at betty and nicks of a whopping 10lbs- gets me wondering. Is the first bass in the fall to be taken with regularity out front typically small until a little later in the run?
I know of over a dozen in the back so far and for the past 3 years the fall fish have averaged 10 to 12 pounds they have wiped out allot of the larger fish even the mecca is dead

finchaser
09-18-2013, 01:38 PM
this morning 6 to 8 AM 3 bass to 27" and 7 blues in the 4 to 6 pound range all on small wind cheater plug all still doing there thing

buckethead
09-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Nice going finchaser those are solid reports. I can confirm the mullet in the surf. They were very nervous this morning as they got blasted by small blues and bass within casting range. Picked up 2 short bass before sunrise in the ocean. Once the sun came up the blues took over and I picked up a half dozen to 5#. Both bass and blues were very fat and healthy feeding on all that bait. Diamond jig and teaser did the trick.

jigfreak
09-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Good to hear about some fish gents. Small or large they are sorely needed. Too many areas in the back bay and surf have been dead this year. I made 2 moves this morning as I decided to fish the surf in somoco. One bass, and bluefish on a stubby needle. Only had an hour to fish before work. Bucket youre right these were fat they had been feeding well they were like little footballs. There was a ton of small bait in the surf and lot of activity far out but I didn't have time to see what would happen and had to jam out of there. Water is cleaning up nicely.

jigfreak
09-18-2013, 07:02 PM
for the past 3 years the fall fish have averaged 10 to 12 pounds they have wiped out allot of the larger fish even the mecca is dead

Agreed all the snag and drop internet heroes.
As far as mecca is concerned fishing su*ks there right now from the surf. Anyone who says any different is lying throuh their teeth or hard up to pay the monthly nut on their charter boat. Honesty is the best policy Capts we know you need to pay your bills but when guys are making the trip all the way up there and catching small blues and dink bass on the night tides it is not a good bite.

finchaser
09-18-2013, 11:53 PM
tonight 9 to 11pm 6 blues in the 5 to 7 pound range all on SP minnow would not touch anything else

hookset
09-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Nice going guys. Fished moco this am and the fishing was kind of lame. Not much bait in the surf and the water was a little too calm. One blue on metal.

clamchucker
09-19-2013, 04:31 PM
I was at Island beach this morning. The mullet were running through. Managed a few blues on fresh mullet and one short bass at 7am.

robmedina
09-20-2013, 08:09 AM
clamchucker I don't have a beach buggy pass. I would like to hit ibsp sat early morning say 3am. would I be able to get in at that time? thanks!

clamchucker
09-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Rob there is someone at the gatehouse 24 hours a day and they sell passes. Are you going to buy the 3 day weekend or the yearly. I might suggest that you buy the yearly at $195 it is a better value. Good luck

clamchucker
09-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Fished the park this morning, a few blues to 5# on mullet. I was not able to tempt any bass on artificials.

robmedina
09-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Rob there is someone at the gatehouse 24 hours a day and they sell passes. Are you going to buy the 3 day weekend or the yearly. I might suggest that you buy the yearly at $195 it is a better value. Good luckWhen you say passes, are you talking about beach buggy? I only have 2 wheel drive :(. I was asking more about entrance fee.

robmedina
09-20-2013, 03:11 PM
I just called- I can access the park for fishing - $5 to get in. Good deal!

fishinmission78
09-20-2013, 05:01 PM
rob its 5 to get in if you want to walk in. I read your post as well and wasnt sure if you wanted to fish on foot or the 4wd permit either.
I posted the 4wd permit info here
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?45-Sandy-Hook-IBSP-Info-NJ-Fishing-regulations-Violations-Reporting-Info
Paying $5 you really limit yourself. There is a lot of ground to cover and alot of times only a few cuts hold fish while the rest are dead.
If you just want to walk on you could park at the last street near the Island beach motor lodge. They are less restrictive after the summer but still be careful of the no parking signs you will prob get a ticket.
If you don't have a lot of experience with the park and you still want to walk you could park in South Seaside Park and walk at low tide to learn the cuts and sloughs. You can do that and walk into there for free and walk as far as your energy takes you. Once things start to heat up there are usually some fish in that general area.

What clamchucker said about the pass is spot on tho. Best way to learn the park, and they have maps at the gatehouse. My .02.

robmedina
09-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Thanks fishinmisson. Sorry I wasn't more clear. Actually it is just ignorance on my part- I don't know much about IBSP and my question were more about accessing the park beyond the "day hours". I wish I had 4x4 and my next vehicle will certainly be one and I will get the annual pass. Until then- I got to do the poor man way- hoof it on foot. I did park at the last street on Tuesday and walked in- thanks for the tip- save me 5 bucks and a lot of time.

finchaser
09-20-2013, 06:29 PM
IMO very tough area to fish if your on foot

robmedina
09-20-2013, 07:19 PM
I agree Fin but alas- it is the best I can do.

finchaser
09-20-2013, 09:03 PM
I face the same issues so if I can't hitch a ride I fish places that produce just as well with easier access and it's not a zoo

surferman
09-20-2013, 10:41 PM
^^ I agree with finchaser and clamchucker. I sometimes fish Brigantine. You can walk the beach but it is a pita. Lot nicer to ride up and down when they sell the permits.
Went out today and caught a croaker and skate in the ocean city surf. Used fresh clams. Seen some bait moving through but didn't see any bluefish or other hungry fish chasing them. I thinik it was mullet not sure

finchaser
09-21-2013, 06:39 AM
fished last night 9pm to 12 am released 3 bluefish and a weakfish all on SP minnow all small:don't know why:

fishinmission78
09-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Fished occo 4-6 am. One short bass one blue on stubby needlefish. Not much bait in the surf. The storm is coming its already overcast here.

buckethead
09-21-2013, 11:32 AM
Nice catching fellas. Fished nomoco this morning picked up one fat short striped pajama fish and a few tailor bluefish to 4#. Bucktail and white grub. fishinmission I agree the storm is coming maybe if it's not too bad it may kick the action up a notch. Very slow now, poor start to the season. Tomorrow is the first day of fall, my worst fall start so far in a few years. jmho

storminsteve
09-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Hit NoMoco for daybreak and one hour after. A few bluefish on ava and redgill. Didn't see any hickories there was kinda strange. Also picked up a feisty sundial on the ava and one short fluke.

cowherder
09-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Nice reports gents hope to see more striped ones soon. I will be out this afternoon will report back.

hookset
09-21-2013, 01:27 PM
. Very slow now, poor start to the season. Tomorrow is the first day of fall, my worst fall start so far in a few years. jmho

Agreed. By this time every year I usually have more than a handful of keeper bass. They are not around in numbers yet. Some decent schoolie and weakfish action in the back bays but mostly small fish. Club guys and friends from work were at montauk last night and no one did anything worth bragging about, a few runts and blues.

Tomorrow is the first day of Fall. The famous harvest moon. Where are all the fish that are supposed to be here. Striped bass are not overfished? Tell me another tall tale.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7594-Striped-bass-reductions-ASMFC-to-reduce-striped-bass-catches-across-the-board/page2

Fishing report, fished a moco beach this morning picked up 2 runts on small swimmer.

basshunter
09-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Glad to see you guys got some fish. Got up late out to Moco from 11-1. No bait or fish where I was.:skunk:

basshunter
09-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Agreed. By this time every year I usually have more than a handful of keeper bass. They are not around in numbers yet. Some decent schoolie and weakfish action in the back bays but mostly small fish. Club guys and friends from work were at montauk last night and no one did anything worth bragging about, a few runts and blues.

Tomorrow is the first day of Fall. The famous harvest moon. Where are all the fish that are supposed to be here. Striped bass are not overfished? Tell me another tall tale.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7594-Striped-bass-reductions-ASMFC-to-reduce-striped-bass-catches-across-the-board/page2

Fishing report, fished a moco beach this morning picked up 2 runts on small swimmer.

Thanks for the intel hookset. Even Montauk sucks right now? that's bad news.

robmedina
09-21-2013, 04:41 PM
out this morning got 2 short bass at 6:19 and again at 6:30. I had a couple taps in between. I was trying to get my buddies attention to come get on the fish but he was too far away and it caused me to not hook up anymore- next time he is on his own. Fishing an ava with green tube but they both hit on my clouser minnow teaser.

baitstealer
09-21-2013, 05:13 PM
Nice going rob. You said my teaser. Did you make it. Any pics?
I fished somoco this afternoon. Was in the area where the surfers were. Threw metal a ava27. Only one sea robin for me,

robmedina
09-21-2013, 05:58 PM
yes sir I tie all my teasers. probably won't be able to see it in the pic to well.17595

Monty
09-21-2013, 06:23 PM
yes sir I tie all my teasers. probably won't be able to see it in the pic to well.

Nice, gotta like catching on your own teasers.

robmedina
09-22-2013, 07:07 AM
baitstealer- I am posting a better pic of the teaser incase that was what you were asking for.17596

cowherder
09-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Nice job with the teaser rob. They are working for me too. Fished nomoco last night and got a few blues to 5#. Teaser and diamond jig on incoming tide. Got out of there before the rain.

wish4fish
09-22-2013, 12:48 PM
well i havnt posted for a while figgered let ledhead do the posting for us. lots of croakers and spot still around we r chunking the spot for some blues and maybe a nice weakfish. last nite they said storms so i stayed close was out there before the rain got some spots put in bucket with aerator. then the rain got heavy so went to ggr for some ******* and beer. got the digits for a hot brazillian chick. then it stopped so i brought the spot back to the spot, lol. no bass or weakfish but got sum blues to 9 pounds cause some mullet came by and they were there. they were good for about an hour after the rain stopped than everything died so i went home and crashed.
oh i forgot to add the spot and croaker are thinning out.

robmedina
09-22-2013, 12:49 PM
You lost me after hot brazillian chick!

wish4fish
09-22-2013, 12:54 PM
dude u got to work the pimp hand most of the zillians are just out for one thing its the dollar parade they say all sorts of stuff. i find the ones that r just off the boat and tell them my friend has another bar where they can make more cheddar. sumtimes it works and sometimes it dont at least the zilllians will put out and you got a shot at a meet up. the russians are hotter but they are cold fish and usually come and go in the big vans wit the russian mobs so u really dont want to mess wit that. stick with the zillians they kno what time it is.

J Barbosa
09-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Went kayaking with my brother and friend yesterday looking for something actally capable of pulling drag.

When we launched at a southern location in the RB the water was dead flat . Launching in the surf was not a possibility with the forecast of 15-25mph winds predicted.

We started by splitting up and trolling around for a while with no hits. Lots of smaller bait around including spearing, peanuts and mullet. I also saw some scattered bunker around. We ended up just shy of the coast guard station at the hook about 5-6 miles from where we launched before we decided to turn around.

After a while we switched over to some bottom fishing. Spots and croakers were coming up with spots greatly outnumbering the croakers for once.

I ended up getting a nice weakfish and buddy caught one as well.

Wind was kicking up and we started to make our way back against a 15-20mph wind and a full moon tide. The waves were pretty bad..took a few dozen over the bow and go totally soaked. I had 4-6" of water in my hull that I'm not sure if it was from taking water over the bow or a leak. I've suspected I may have a small leak since two trips ago but I never got this much water.

J Barbosa
09-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Rob, nice job catching on your own teaser

wish4fish I'd like to see more of your reports they are certainly entertaining. :HappyWave:

Monty
09-22-2013, 01:12 PM
wish4fish I'd like to see more of your reports they are certainly entertaining. :HappyWave:
Agree, more entertaining than ledhead's, I vote for wish4fish to do the reporting for the ledhead/wish4fish team.

Real nice weakfish JB

storminsteve
09-22-2013, 01:31 PM
the russians are hotter but they are cold fish and usually come and go in the big vans wit the russian mobs so u really dont want to mess wit that. stick with the zillians they kno what time it is.

:clapping:Haha quote of the week! Russian mobs, fishing, and the dollar parade you never know what the next report might say here. Glad to see you got some fishing in wish4fish. Be careful driving at night there have been some DWI patrols on Rt 36 on the weekends. If you guys ever need a wing man let me know!:headbang:

storminsteve
09-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Got out in the dark this morning after the rain. There was an awesome fog on the beach. Fished more in moco than nomoco. Picked up 6 short bass on the ava and redgill combo and one bluefish. Most hit the redgill. The bite died around slack. It was tough to wade out with the low water and waves.I took a coffee break and returned. Picked up again 1 hour into the incoming, Fished 3-8am.
Nice going on the weakfish JB! Question when you were getting the croakers and spot were you using clams or worms and what worked better?

hookset
09-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Nice reports fellas. Missed the alarm this moriining. When I opened my eyes saw the bright sun and knew it was too late. w4f would love to be a fly on the wall as you work the pimp hand. Wear a go pro take it to one of the networks I'm sure people would watch.

jigfreak
09-22-2013, 02:15 PM
Good catching guys.

albiealert
09-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Nice to see my fellow jersey fishermen are catching. I try to follow this to see where things are at relative to stripers moving. I have only got one bass so far this month but we did have some bluefish move to the rivers. Best of luck and thanks for the reports

J Barbosa
09-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Question when you were getting the croakers and spot were you using clams or worms and what worked better?

Sand worms.

I was getting severely out fished by a friend at first and took notice. The difference was that he would jig his bait occasionally.

I started to do the same thing and noticed that often when I went to lift (jig) the bait the spot was already on the hook but I never felt the fish take it. I'm not sure if this is a "spot" thing or if the fish were just lethargic.

ledhead36
09-22-2013, 04:09 PM
then it stopped so i brought the spot back to the spot, lol. no bass or weakfish but got sum blues to 9 pounds cause some mullet came by and they were there. oh i forgot to add the spot and croaker are thinning out.

SPOT Burner!:2flip: :laugh:

Agree, more entertaining than ledhead's, I vote for wish4fish to do the reporting for the ledhead/wish4fish team.

Real nice weakfish JB

Oh so that's how you really feel. Thank you very much sir.:2flip: :HappyWave:
Just remember that he's a legend in is own mind. He's a big tipper and sometimes they do give him phony #s. He has had some nice strippers as temporary girlfriends so I have to give him props for that.

Nice reports. As wish said it does seem the croaker are thinning out each week. Seems like the weakfish are thinning out too. Spot and croaker in the Navesink seem to be less. The harbors and places near deep water still do hold some nice ones though. Nice weakie JB.

porgy75
09-22-2013, 09:48 PM
You guys should film this stuff some of these reports are roflmao hilarious!

buckethead
09-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Fished nomoco from 5-7. Slack to beginning of incoming tide. Water was a bit dirty and not much action where I was. No visible bait. 2 cocktails hit metal.

finchaser
09-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Fished the boat we fished all the lumps and bumps looking for fluke nada after a few drifts we trolled the perimeters of the lumps looking for Albert and Bonita again Nada including bait went inshore and jigged about 25-30 weakfish and a few small blues these fish have been here for 3 weeks .

J Barbosa
09-23-2013, 08:11 PM
That's a lot of weakfish how far off the surf were you?

I stayed local figuring I shouldn't drive an hour just to catch dinks...got two hits both too small to inhale a 5" swim shad.

finchaser
09-23-2013, 10:59 PM
you could have got them in the yak 40'

DarkSkies
09-24-2013, 07:40 PM
After hearing about the tuna finchaser caught in the surf the other day ;)
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?4753-Albie-reports/page10

I knew I had to get out there last night.
Got out later than I wanted to, but still found some beautiful water between the back bays and the ocean. Fished 4 hours and made 6 stops total, Threw everything that made sense, from swimmers down to the smallest bucktail with grub. At one of the stops I got a short bass on the 2nd cast....wasted another 1 1/2 hours at that place looking for another. Total for the night, 1 short bass landed, 1 missed.

As finchaser often says, the fishing was great, the catching sucked.:fishing:

I haven't been out there that much. Just can't get motivated. There are a few fish here and there but there are vast stretches of surf and back bay areas that are holding nothing.....

I think someone already said this.....this is the poorest start to the fall for me in about 8 years......If you find high concentrations of bait you will likely find some fish..In the last week some nice fish were caught...but only by those standing on the Red X....(coined by Old Farts Fishing Club) .:HappyWave:...Lately, all the old reliable fall places are not holding any numbers of bass so far.....

Hell, I would be happy chasing some big blues at night... Sadly, even they have not staged in the early season places they usually do...despite abundant food.....

The best thing I can say about the night is that it felt good to see and touch the water again.....fish or no fish...that's part of my therapy...:)

hookset
09-24-2013, 08:56 PM
I was standing on the red x today dark.:HappyWave:
Picked up over 20 blues to 5#. No bass but the blue action was fast and furious for about 1 1/2 hours in nomoco. They were spitting up mullet and most of them hit a red and white pencil just beyond the break.

cowherder
09-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Good to see you fishing again dark. Hookset nice catches!!!

finchaser
09-24-2013, 10:31 PM
way to go hook I know where you were

basshunter
09-25-2013, 08:18 AM
Fished No-moco this morning, slack to incoming 5:30-8. Got one short bass 25" and 3 acrobatic blues on ava and teaser. Nice score hookset.

J Barbosa
09-25-2013, 10:39 AM
I made 5-6 stops last night and burned $30 in gas, 6 hours of my life with nothing to show for it but at least I know where the bass aren't.

We use to joke about there not being any fish in NJ...

Look out for possible good deals on fishing equipment.

finchaser
09-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Not a joke^^^^

clamchucker
09-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Fished island beach this morning from 6-9. Very slow, no fish for me.

clamchucker
09-25-2013, 03:21 PM
We use to joke about there not being any fish in NJ...

Not a joke^^^^

We are very close to the conditions that existed before the last moratorium.

finchaser
09-25-2013, 04:09 PM
couldn't agree more and at a faster pace

robmedina
09-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Fished LBI last night at low tide for some scouting. Noticed a nice lip so I decided to cast parallel to the beach and was rewarded with a keeper fluke- problem is it was one day too late. Not much going on. No visible signs of bait in the surf. my buddy caught one 16" blue on a sinking minnow plug. He said he was getting a lot of hits but couldn't seal the deal except for that one. Me on the other hand did not even get a bump.

I hope the fishing doesn't or isn't as bad as we all think it is. That would really **** especially since I just got into it.

fishjay
09-26-2013, 01:09 PM
The old guys got together yesterday and went north. After chasing the ghost of Albies around we decided (With the help of DS's coaching) to just fish where we saw the bait earlier and we had bunker and some rainfish in area and we caught 26 blues between 2 and 5 lbs. on popping plugs. Was good to catch some fish again

Mike O
09-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Didn't get a chance to post last weekend, but I fished SH early Sat. morning and got a couple of blues chasing bunker (first time out since early summer). Those bunker are all over the place, hope thats a good sign of things to come

DarkSkies
09-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Fished 5 1/2 hours last night....best I could manage was one missed fish on small swimmer.....Covered 23 miles to find that high level of activity. :rolleyes:

Some of the water I fished was beautiful, but there was a distinct lack of bait in most of the areas. I was not targeting small bass, instead looking for larger bass or bluefish....but without large amounts of bait, I knew it wasn't likely to happen.

The best part of the night was I had most stretches of beach to myself, the sound of silence was deafening....and didn't run into another fisherman until 5:30 am when I ran into old friends who I hadn't seen since last Fall....They're catching, but echoed my sentiments that the night bite is very spotty so far.....

This morning I still had some energy left, went to the scene of the carnage yesterday where the OFFC and some others put a hurting on the bluefish....That beach was totally dead......the whole ocean this morning made me think what it would be like if God poured a giant bottle of bleach in and mixed it in with the Jersey Coast water.....

Still not satisfied, or miserable enough, I had the bright idea to retrace some of my steps last night, and see if another side of the tide would be better.....it wasn't......I finished up the Monty Marathon with my a** dragging and feeling like I played Pop Warner football for 3 days......

Congrats to all those who found action yesterday afternoon.....if you can find fish today, stay on em....cause it ain't likely you will find them again tomorrow......no discernible patterns at all so far for me, this fall.....
Fishjay, glad to help you and the OFFC any way I can ....you guys are an inspiration for a lot of the younger anglers out there.....and we're most grateful for all the intel and wisdom you have generously shared over the years....:thumbsup: :HappyWave:

finchaser
09-26-2013, 08:51 PM
KOD (Kiss Of Death) ^^^^^ you were here, this explains the small Ocean County bite dying last night and today.:scared: Monty would have at least caught trash fish on his teaser.:HappyWave:

J Barbosa
09-27-2013, 12:21 AM
Fished from sunset to 11pm and managed two small bass, a few missed hits and a fluke. Both bass took a black teaser right at my feet.

Saw two other shorts caught as well.

The little action around only lasted roughly an hour right after sunset.

finchaser
09-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Very nice

DarkSkies
09-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Nice effort people. :thumbsup:

Went to bed at 8pm last night so I could get up and fish the right tides at night.
Fished 2 prime locations. Some smaller bass are starting to move in to a few NJ areas. For those reading that statement, take those words with a grain of salt. The night bass boats are not even doing that great so far. The Fishermen, fishing eels in the channels, got no fish at all Wed night, and only managed to pull a few out of a hat, for last night's Thu bass trip.

When a veteran party boat Capt, is fishing eels in the channels at night and has trouble putting a catch together....you know the fishing is bad....and it's not the fault of a bad drift, the reason given for the poor fishing....

** It's just another indication that there are less bass around. We have really hammered these fish, year after year, and now are starting to see the results of that....:learn:...despite what NOAA says.

If you counted on your hands all the places in NJ where bass fishing is consistent or worthwhile right now, you would come up with the same few locations. This isn't great when you are approaching a weekend and know others will be out there. If you don't like crowds, or dawn and dusk fishing, when most are out there to take advantage of the 1 hour feeding window, you try to develop other areas that may be out of the way, or incaccessible for some.

Those are the areas I worked on last night. Each time out I try to rotate to different areas. When the fishing is as spotty at night as it has been, this helps me to see the bigger picture, and get a feel if bass action is really starting to heat up. What I am finding, is that other than the handful of popular locations, it doesn't appear to be getting better, at this time, for someone like me who wants to fish in solitude.....

The areas I visited last night have proven very productive for me, bass and bigger bluefish, this time of year.
Every year except for this one. :(
After a few hours, I knew it was not going to happen. Found a few mullet but not much else in terms of bait concentration.
Couldn't even manage a missed fish this time. :skunk: for me.

Sorry if the report seems negative...but I have to report the good, with the bad.....
Hope the rest of ya's have better luck than that this weekend. :fishing: :HappyWave:

finchaser
09-27-2013, 03:32 PM
KOD (Kiss of death) unfortunately that was then this is now. Yes they have been hammered and lets not forget when you fished all winter and needed to photograph fish in freezing cold and snow. May they rest in peace :HappyWave: :beatin:

DarkSkies
09-27-2013, 03:36 PM
^^^ Now that's the Old Grouchy Basstid we know and love.....:laugh: :clapping:

I'm single handedly responsible for affecting the Striped bass population?......yup, those few hundred fish I C&R in the Winter were the future......it's all on me now....:kooky:

I like it when you're full of **** and vinegar.....like today.....:ROFLMAO
Much better than when you're grouchy and surly....like last month..... :kiss: :HappyWave:

buckethead
09-27-2013, 04:06 PM
I fished nomoco this morning. Overcast sky and decent looking water. Managed a few hickory shad on small plugs in the dark. Some good action with small blues once it got light out but it was not long lasting. No bass caught by me or anyone else fishing there for the sunrise.

storminsteve
09-27-2013, 04:12 PM

couldn't agree more and at a faster pace

When a veteran party boat Capt, is fishing eels in the channels at night and has trouble putting a catch together....you know the fishing is bad....and it's not the fault of a bad drift, the reason given for the poor fishing....

** It's just another indication that there are less bass around. We have really hammered these fish, year after year, and now are starting to see the results of that....:learn:...despite what NOAA says.

Sorry if the report seems negative...but I have to report the good, with the bad.....
Hope the rest of ya's have better luck than that this weekend. :fishing: :HappyWave:

Thanks for the honesty gentlemen.

J Barbosa
09-27-2013, 04:16 PM
I saw Ron moving around at least a dozen times last night...always a clear sign that the fishing sucks. 10 fares on board tops.

After thinking about the missed hits last night I really need a sharper hook on my teasers.

I originally tied them on Mustad Stainless 34007 hooks. The stainless is appealing because I can get home after a long night and not have to worry about washing them but they are not that sharp.

Thats a problem when your getting hits close in and don't want to set the hook and send trebles flying.

storminsteve
09-27-2013, 05:15 PM
IThats a problem when your getting hits close in and don't want to set the hook and send trebles flying.

No sir that would not be too cool.:scared:

hookset
09-27-2013, 11:36 PM
Steve that is a nasty pic hope that didn't happen to you. Fished Nomoco end of day into the dark. Massive body of small blues periodically crashing rainfish in the surf. They were moving south fast, managed 11 before dark. Then some bass moved in with mullet. 2 short bass on ml swimmers.

finchaser
09-27-2013, 11:52 PM
tonight 9 to11:30 released a micro bass and bluefish, bass on SP and the blue on rubbbbbbbbbbbba both on white

buckethead
09-28-2013, 04:08 PM
Nice going hookset and finchaser. Fished nomoco from 6-8, Few blues and a flurry of activity on ss littleneck popper. All the activity ceased by 7am.

robmedina
09-28-2013, 04:36 PM
cool I just purchased a ss little neck popper.

storminsteve
09-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Nice going gents. Tried a few spots in moco this afternoon. White water monty would have been in heaven. The thing is there was a lot of white water it was dirty in some places and there definitely were not much fish around. Saw some birdplay about 1/2 mile off but no boats or fishermen were on them. Wind was NE. Got the skunk. Where are all those internet guys that talk about the great catching when it blows noreast? Didn't see anyone out there bailing fish today.:huh:

J Barbosa
09-29-2013, 07:14 AM
Had a nice night with good weather and no crowds :D

Started at midnight and around 4:30am the morning crew started to show up. Decided to call it quits as not much was going on. Overall a very slow night.

Didn't see a spec of bait all night.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3729/9996677655_67acd737c2_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/94721242@N02/9996677655/)

finchaser
09-29-2013, 08:22 AM
fished 10 till 2 AM released 3 bass to 22" like JB said no evidence of any bait all on jig head and white Lunker City shaker tail

baitstealer
09-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Nice catching guys I was out in nomoco today fished 4-6. It seemed like fishy water but there was not a lot of fish there. I got one sea robin on an ava and that was it. The wind was blowing from the south east and the waves were big it was like a perfect surf fishing dream that zeno talks about but there were no takers except for the sea robin. When is the fall run going to start?

finchaser
09-29-2013, 06:58 PM
cool I just purchased a ss little neck popper.

Rob in case you are unaware SS plugs:
with black eyes sink
with green eyes float
with red eyes they are pre loaded

jigfreak
09-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Hit somoco for a few hours in the dark. Water dirty and big swell. :skunk:

robmedina
09-30-2013, 03:44 AM
with black eyes sink
with green eyes float
with red eyes they are pre loaded Yup- I got a floating so it should be green eyes. ( I ordered it online) in the meantime I grabbed a little Creek Chub popper from a local bait store and it is a sinking popper. Not sure why poppers are made to sink, kind of defeats the purpose. But if you pop it quick it stays on top.

finchaser
09-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Most popular by far is SS popper 2 3/8 sinker out sells the floaters 10 to 1 . casts great and if you reel it slow it swims like a metal lip. They sink because you need the weight to cast far. When it comes to SS most shop don't stock the floaters

buckethead
09-30-2013, 11:28 AM
with black eyes sink
with green eyes float
with red eyes they are pre loaded

Most popular by far is SS popper 2 3/8 sinker out sells the floaters 10 to 1 . casts great and if you reel it slow it swims like a metal lip. They sink because you need the weight to cast far. When it comes to SS most shop don't stock the floaters

SS is a great workhorse plug. You can catch small blues to 40lb bass with that plug. Works great out of the bag. If larger fish are around you can upgrade the hooks and splits but they can take a lot of abuse as is. One of my fall favorites.

buckethead
09-30-2013, 11:29 AM
Fished nomoco this am. One small bluefish on popper. No bait showing.

robmedina
09-30-2013, 02:29 PM
did a site visit in westbury LI today. After the visit I shot down to Jones Beach to check things out. Well besides the can't park here without a permit, can't park there because that access is closed- I finally got to lot 10. I met 2 older fellas and talked to them for a little bit. Once they heard I was from Jersey they told me to get outta there because the rules were different from NJ to NY on fluke regs, LOL! they laughed at giving me a hard time. They told me that a few 40# bass were caught recently around 3 am hour. Other than that not much going on. I missed a small bluefish blitz that apparently happened a little while before I got there.

There were a ton of spearing in the water around the rocks and docks. Water was clean.

hookedonbass
09-30-2013, 02:47 PM
Once they heard I was from Jersey they told me to get outta there because the rules were different from NJ to NY on fluke regs, LOL! they laughed at giving me a hard time. They told me that a few 40# bass were caught recently around 3 am hour. Other than that not much going on. I missed a small bluefish blitz that apparently happened a little while before I got there.

maybe they were pulling your leg lol.
ocean county yesterday. threw popper and metal at different times. Water was slightly dirty No soup for me.

robmedina
09-30-2013, 03:34 PM
^^^^^lol I thought the same thing but the guy in the bait store told me the same thing.

J Barbosa
09-30-2013, 04:23 PM
SS is a great workhorse plug. You can catch small blues to 40lb bass with that plug. Works great out of the bag. If larger fish are around you can upgrade the hooks and splits but they can take a lot of abuse as is. One of my fall favorites.

The new SS lures now come with 4x VMC hooks. Shops with old inventory will still have the Mustad hooks.

Easy way to tell the difference:
VMC 4x 9626PS = dull silver color
Mustad = very shiny silver color

Yea only a few 40lb fish were caught this morning...not really too much going on this time of year. :don't know why:

:kooky:

robmedina
09-30-2013, 07:47 PM
lol yeah not a few 40# caught this morning- but rather a few so far this fall - they just so happen to be caught in the mornings around 3ish.

J Barbosa
09-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Sorry Rob misread the first post. LOL