PDA

View Full Version : Jersey Shore Shark attacks!

bababooey
08-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Anyone else hear about this? Supposedly washed ashore in that town.

basshunter
09-03-2008, 08:24 AM
looks like someone dumped it there. Highly doubt one would come in that far.

LennyD
09-12-2008, 09:33 PM
nice!:cool:

bababooey
08-14-2009, 12:48 AM
They ran the story on hearsay. What a way to rile people up and scare them :rolleyes: although there was a shark attack in Matawan creek back in the early 1900's.:scared:

By ERIC SCOTT CAMPBELL Staff Writer, 609-272-7227 | Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2009

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/pressofatlanticcity.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/f/26/37b/f2637b48-7fd6-11de-9c1b-001cc4c03286.preview-300.jpg?_dc=1249267203 (http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/press/atlantic/article_f7bd989e-7fd6-11de-8f7f-001cc4c03286.html?mode=image&photo=0)Howard Sefton, of Captain Howard’s Bait and Tackle in Egg Harbor City, uses a blackboard to inform his customers about reported bull shark landings in the Mullica River.

Photo by: Anthony Smedile

[/URL]
Reports of bull sharks in the Mullica River have prompted the owner of an Egg Harbor City fishing shop to warn customers who would consider swimming or rowing there.
These reports do not come from the state Division of Fish, Game and Wildlife, which has confirmed no bull sharks this year, according to its records. But Howard Sefton, of Captain Howard's Bait and Tackle, trusts the folks who tell him their friends or neighbors have hauled in a 4-footer, a 6-footer and a 7-footer in the past several weeks.
"I've had a couple people call me about it and tell me there were sharks in the Mullica. They're not going to swim there anymore," Sefton said. Asked whether he feared being pegged as an alarmist without proof, Sefton replied, "Better to err on the side of caution."
Bull sharks have never been seen so far up the river, Sefton said. The animals are known for entering fresh water and have attacked humans in a few infamous instances of U.S. history, including a series of attacks in 1916 off New Jersey.
Other veterans of Mullica fishing are staying skeptical.
"I haven't seen anything like that, and I do watch for things like that," said Barry Douglas, who mans the Lower Bank bridge across the river every weekend afternoon and night. "First I've heard of it, but I wouldn't be a bit suprirsed to see one. ... I've heard bull sharks come up (other rivers) that far."
News of the shark discussion frustrated Bill DiFilippo, owner of Nacote Creek Marina in Port Republic, just off the Mullica for recreational boaters.
"I think it's ridiculous," said DiFilippo, a 20-year area resident. "Bull sharks live in very, very warm water, and I can't see the water being that warm to support them."
Bruce Gehringer spent Thursday afternoon hanging a fishing line off the Lower Bank bridge, trying to catch a perch big enough to eat.
"I'd like to talk to somebody who's actually seen it. Usually the information you get is pretty good, especially from the people at Captain Howard's," Gehringer said.
Gehringer sometimes fishes the Mullica in a kayak, and he said he would not be scared to do so again.
"No, I'm curious. I'd love to see a shark," he said. "From what I understand, (bull sharks) are not aggressive. The stories you see on TV, seems like that's one in a million."
Sefton said he caught bull sharks off the beach in Brigantine four years ago. The following summer, reports of bull sharks in the back bay behind Atlantic City created a buzz.
Said Sefton: "I guarantee you if the water's warm, they're there. ... They're opportunistic. They'll take a meal if it's thrown in their face."

Posted in [URL="http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/press/atlantic"]Atlantic (http://adsys.townnews.com/c32061699/creative/www2.pressofac.com/news-press-atlantic-instory/180592-1240843561.gif?r=http://www.findacreditunion.com/) on Sunday, August 2, 2009 10:35 pm

cracklepopper
08-14-2009, 01:02 AM
:huh: The article does say the customers reported more than one. Even with no weigh ins, I would think that increases the credibility, no?

porgy75
08-20-2009, 02:47 PM
I think it's possibe. This came from another site...

bull sharks have been documented to swim over 2000 miles into full fresh water in the amazon river and its tributaries. the bull shark contains two unique features that no other shark has that allows it to survive in fresh water. one is a specialized liver that metabolizes salt diferently and is able to re use salt stored in the body from when in salt water. also near the sharks anus is a special organ that stores the salt instead of letting it exit the body and then sends the salt to the specailized liver in a closed loop that the fishcan sustain for an unknown period of time

surferman
06-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Man that's a big shark, 400lbs. I would love to see one that big close to the boat.:scared:

From Al Ristori's column

8-foot thresher fought off Manasquan Inlet

Published: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 8:34 PM Updated: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 9:13 PM

Stripers didn't cooperate outside Manasquan Inlet this morning when Robert Palmisano of Caldwell fished there on his small center console in a bunker school. When one of his baits did get hit, it turned out to be a fish they had no chance of boating -- a thresher shark with a body length of about eight feet that was hooked on 20-pound test line. Christian Palmisano (16) fought that shark for over an hour as it towed them two miles offshore -- but they had no means of boating it even if the estimated 400-pound thresher tired. Threshers are often spotted in bunker schools, and their small teeth may not cut mono leaders if hooked in the corner of the mouth. Yet, few small boaters are equipped with flying gaffs and are better off enjoying the fight without attempting to boat a dangerous adversary.

http://www.nj.com/shore/blogs/fishing/index.ssf/2010/06/8-foot_thresher_fought_off_man.html

fishinmission78
07-08-2010, 08:41 PM
:kooky:This happened on the 28th, thought some haven't seen it yet. The shark was small only 2 feet. You should see all the online arguing it started. People who don't fish should do some research before they open their mouths.

Woman catches hammerhead shark in NJ bay

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS • June 30, 2010

(javascript:void(null);)
VENTNOR — Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.

A woman reeled in a baby hammerhead shark in Lakes Bay in southern New Jersey.

The shark was about two feet long and had a flat head with eyes on each end.

Stacy McCarron and her husband, Matt, were on a boat when she felt a tug on her line Sunday. Her husband says "everyone on the boat was freaking out" when she landed the fish.

They posed for pictures with the shark before releasing it.

Matt McCarron says a buddy is wondering "where the shark's mother is."

stripermania
07-08-2010, 10:28 PM
I heard there was a shark alert from Atlantic City to Maine.

clamchucker
07-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Some sharks were sighted in Seaside yesterday.

Seaside Park beaches temporarily close after shark sightings

Published: Wednesday, July 14, 2010, 8:05 PM

Updated: Thursday, July 15, 2010, 6:17 AM

[/URL]Judy Peet (http://connect.nj.com/user/jpeet/index.html)

http://media.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impact/photo/seaside-park-sharkjpg-23d32f4050bef8bb_large.jpg
Andrew Mills/The Star-LedgerBathers stay close to shore in Seaside Park just before 3 p.m. in an area of beach that was temporarily closed for about four hours after local surfers spotted two five-foot-long sharks at about 10 a.m. Wednesday.

SEASIDE PARK (http://topics.nj.com/tag/seaside-park/posts.html) — Beaches for several miles north of Island Beach State Park were closed for hours today after two sharks were spotted swimming near the shorelines, authorities said.
Surfers first reported five-foot-long sharks just off the surf break around 10 a.m. at Seaside Park, said Joe Gomulka, head of the Beach Patrol there. Gomulka said the sharks cruised the beach for about four hours, at some points coming as close as about 20 yards offshore.

Seaside Park beaches were reopened about 2 p.m., but reports of what are believed to be the same sharks closed down beaches at Seaside Heights, the next town north on the coast, for much of the afternoon.

Gomulka said the sharks were not positively identified, but their unusual swimming patterns raised the question of whether or not they may have been sick or injured.

Every summer has its own unique pattern, Gomulka added, and "2010 appears to be the summer of the shark."

The season started with the Coast Guard issuing its first ever shark warning for the northeast. Earlier this week, sharks were spotted both in Ortley Beach, which is a few miles north of Seaside and near Ocean Beach on the barrier island of Toms River.
Authorities said sharks have not been seen at either locations since then.

There have been no reports of shark attacks in New Jersey this summer.

[URL]http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/07/seaside_park_beaches_temporari.html

wish4fish
07-15-2010, 01:52 PM
sharks are looking for the bunkers, no big deal:scared:

storminsteve
07-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Yeah, but you have to keep the tourists safe, right?:D

Pebbles
07-15-2010, 05:19 PM
That is scary to think I could be minding my own business, throwing out my favorite Finchaser rod and all of a sudden.........GULP......, I am taken away forever by a hungry shark. :eek:

fishinmission78
07-15-2010, 05:55 PM
I think Dark would protect you, Pebbles, at least it seems that way.:viking:
The sharks are all over, I don't really see the cause for alarm. They're going through the schools of bunker, that's all they really want. People are too crunchy, not much nutritional value there.

The real sharks to worry about are great whites and bull sharks. If you check the historical records, great whites dont come into the surf that much, at least in the US. Australia, California, maybe, but they tend to attack surfers and swimmers swimming way past the last breaker. If we ever get bull sharks in the surf, I would say even Dark couldn't help you, Pebbles.
By the way, they closed a Berkeley twp beach, 23rd, today because of another shark sighting.

vpass
07-15-2010, 06:31 PM
:kooky:I'm going to attempt shark fishing some time this weekend next week.:scared: I'm afraid if I do catch one.:kooky:

baitstealer
07-16-2010, 03:42 PM
This happened 50 years ago. Sand tiger shark, no thanks.

Shark attack!!! 50 years later, Readington man tells of having his leg mauled

Published: Sunday, July 04, 2010, 6:19 AM

Teresa Fasanello (http://connect.nj.com/user/tfasanello/index.html)

http://media.nj.com/hunterdonnews_impact/photo/pix-0708sandtigersharkjpg-bd65a6927ecd1f0f_small.jpg

Sand tiger shark attacked a Readington man 50 years ago
READINGTON TWP. -- In July 1960, a sand tiger shark attacked then 24-year-old John Brodeur and ripped through his right thigh as he stood in the ocean at the Sea Girt beach.

50 years later, the Readington Township resident is grateful he lived through it to experience 40 years of marriage with his wife Celine, and life with his four children, seven grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
“I’m very happy with my life. It was just an incident along the way,” said Brodeur, a retired accountant, who has been featured in books about sharks and was once a guest on the “O’Reilly Factor.”
Brodeur was told the shark had been a 12- to 17-foot sand tiger shark, judging from the teeth marks in his leg, At the time of the attack, he was standing farther out than other bathers, his feet firmly planted in the sand.
“I ride waves and I was getting ready to ride a wave in,” Brodeur said. “I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.”
“I saw this big black thing coming toward me — I thought it was a telephone pole,” he said. The shark was long and black, and there had been a bad storm earlier that week.
When the shark bit him, Brodeur slapped the top of the shark’s head with his hand, and “eventually it let go,” he said.
“The lifeguard pulled me out of the water and then dropped me in the sand,” Brodeur continued. “My right thigh was all torn open.”
Celine Brodeur, who was not present at the time but knows the story well, said the young lifeguard panicked. “It’s not every day you get a shark attack,” she said.
A Marine veteran named Norman Porter, from the Bronx, took his belt off and used it to apply a tourniquet to Brodeur’s leg to slow the bleeding until he could be taken to the hospital. Because his nerves were severed and he was in shock, Brodeur does not recall feeling much pain.
He still thinks highly of Porter. “He saved my life. I was a lucky man.”
Celine noted that Porter has passed away, “but he’s been my husband’s hero.”
Brodeur’s leg had to be amputated, and he spent three months recovering in the hospital. Now with a prosthetic leg, he can’t run, but he can walk, and he enjoys playing tennis.
“I still go to the beach,” he said. In fact, the Brodeurs and their children will be taking a family vacation in Cape May this summer.
“He never, ever let one thing stand in his way,” his wife said. “It was never a handicap to him.”
In spite of the attack, John said he has always loved swimming in the ocean. But he warns other swimmers to be careful, especially because it is not always true that sharks will only attack someone who is already bleeding.
“Make sure that there are lifeguards, and other people in the water,” Brodeur warned.

basshunter
08-02-2010, 08:44 AM
More shark stuff - check out the comments the people make

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/5-Foot-Sand-Shark-Forces-Closure-of-Snookis-Beach--99690509.html

btw, looks like a threasher to me.

BassBuddah
08-07-2010, 08:29 PM
I think that's a blue shark, basshunter, but you're right, some crazy comments.

plugcrazy
08-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Anyone want to venture a guess as to when they will attack someone in new jersey?

http://xfinity.comcast.net/video/shark_attacks_man_off_north_carolina_coast/2094158596

bababooey
08-20-2011, 02:31 PM
They are nasty, I wouldn't want to run into one in the surf.

stripercrazy
08-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Most bloodthirsty sharks in the ocean, I think they are worse than great whites. Wasn't that a bull shark that attacked that child in one of the jersey bays in the early 1900s?

jonthepain
08-20-2011, 11:44 PM
another shark attack in NC yesterday, knee deep surf. i think that's 4 so far this year.

boyfriend of victim said it was a 6 footer, but who knows

DarkSkies
08-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Tis the season, Jon, the warmer water and bait migration means sharks will be closer than most of us think. Thanks for the info, we need to promote awareness of the danger, that should take precedence over the tourism angle. Some towns don't like it to be known they have sharks around.

It's a fact of the time of year, almost every town on the coast now has sharks swimming near or through it. For the most part you would never know those sharks are there because they are really not keyed in on humans.

But the bull sharks, they scare me more than great white sharks, as has been said here. They have no natural aversion to humans or the noise and activity that keeps other sharks away from the surfline. They are deadly because they are so unpredictable. And everyone should be aware of this, without going into a panic mode.

There is no reason not to take that vacation just because you hear about sharks. They are everywhere, even great whites off the coast of NJ. Things like not swimming in the surf if it is too murky from a storm, and not being in a position where you were splashing or thrashing the water too much, are all things that are good to be aware of.

captnemo
08-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Wasn't that a bull shark that attacked that child in one of the jersey bays in the early 1900s?

Probably, here is the story -

Over a 10-day period during July 1916, five shark attacks occurred along the New Jersey shore. Four of the victims died and the fifth was seriously injured. This extraordinary cluster of attacks was almost certainly the inspiration for JAWS and is among the most notorious events in the long and grim history of shark-human interactions.
The particulars of each attack — who got bitten, when, where, and how badly — have been told and re-told many times in popular shark books and documentaries. These facts are well established and most of them need not concern us here. What does seem in need of a more thorough investigation is whether one or more sharks were involved in these attacks and of what species was — or were — most likely responsible.

http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/color_illos/carcharodon-carcharias.gif
White Shark (Carcharodon carcharias) — since the infamous series of attacks seemed to stop with the capture of a young White Shark, reportedly with human remains in its stomach, it was widely assumed this animal was the culprit; other researchers are not so sure.
Two days after the fifth attack, an 8.5-foot (2.6-metre) shark was caught in Raritan Bay, some 4 miles (6.5 kilometres) away from the mouth of Matawan Creek. It was identified as a White Shark (Carcharodon carcharias) by Dr. Frederick Lucas, who was director of the American Museum of Natural History at the time. Upon examining its stomach contents, Lucas found "the shinbone of a boy and what appeared to be part of a human rib". Since the animal's gut contained incriminating evidence and no subsequent attacks occurred, it was widely assumed that this individual was the shark responsible for the recent spate of attacks. No one seemed to be bothered that the three most recent attacks occurred 2.5 miles (4 kilometres) up tiny Matawan Creek, a very unusual habitat for a White Shark.
Nearly 60 years later, artist-author Richard Ellis uncovered some intriguing evidence that made him seriously question many long-standing assumptions about the identity of so-called 'New Jersey Man-Eater'. In his 1976 Book of Sharks, Ellis points out:

the first two attacks took place in the ocean, 70 and 25 miles (113 and 40 kilometres), respectively, from Matawan Creek; to assume that these distant attacks were perpetrated by the same shark that attacked three swimmers in Matawan Creek is stretching the 'rogue shark' theory beyond reasonable limits
the White Shark is relatively rare in New Jersey waters and is not known to enter brackish or fresh water; conversely, the Bull Shark (Carcharhinus leucas) is more abundant in New Jersey waters than the White Shark and is well known to haunt river mouths and to penetrate far up freshwater rivers
two days after the Matawan attacks, the New York Times reported that "the man-eating shark that killed [two swimmers] . . . was trapped in the upper reaches of Matawan Creek", a most unusual habitat for a White Shark but quite common for the Bull Shark
the same edition of the New York Times went on to say that, "Matawan Creek . . . was alive with sharks yesterday, according to the score of men who went out to hunt them with rifles, shotguns, boat hooks, harpoons, pikes and dynamite", implying that more than one of them may have been involved in the attacks there
three days after the Matawan attacks, the New York Times reported that, "a giant shark plunged through the chicken wire net that penned it in at Matawan Creek and escaped into the ocean last night", demonstrating that at least one shark swam between the Creek and the Atlantic Ocean
Six days after the attacks, a 7-foot, 230-pound (2.1-metre, 105-kilogram) shark was caught in Matawan Creek; Ellis suggests that this is a reasonable length-weight ratio for a carcharhinid shark, such as the Bull Shark, taking this as evidence that such a shark occurred in the Creek

http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/color_illos/carcharhinus-leucas.gif
Bull Shark (Carcharhinus leucas) — this species is notorious for entering fresh water and attacking people there,
a reputation that makes it an obvious suspect in the Matawan Creek attacks.
In truth, 230 pounds is about 35% too heavy for a 7-foot carcharhinid and about 15% too heavy for a 7-foot White Shark. Thus, the length-weight ratio given is more consistent with that of a White Shark — but fishermen are notorious for overestimating the weight of their catches and none of the foregoing proves that this shark, captured in Matawan Creek nearly a week after the most recent attack there, was responsible for any attack on a swimmer either in the Creek or along the New Jersey seashore. Another possibility is that a Tiger Shark (Galeocerdo cuvier) may have been involved in one or more of the attacks, perhaps even in Matawan Creek. This carcharhinid species is well known to be dangerous, to enter river mouths during summer months in North Carolina and other coastal states farther south along the east coast of North America, and to travel northward along the Atlantic seaboard during summer months, regularly riding the Gulf Stream to New Jersey and even as far north as Nova Scotia, Canada.

http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/color_illos/galeocerdo-cuvier.gif
Tiger Shark (Galeocerdo cuvier) — could this species be the New Jersey Maneater? It seems possible but unlikely.
So what are we to make of all this? Only that large sharks along the New Jersey coast - and even in such unexpected places as Matawan Creek — are not that unusual. The capture of an 8.5-foot White Shark in Raritan Bay two days after the spate of attacks nearby may merely be a coincidence. Although its stomach contents appeared to contain human remains, these could easily have been scavenged from the body of a drowning victim. Even during the early part of the 20th Century, dozens of drownings occurred along the New Jersey shore each year. An 8.5-foot White Shark is about 4 years old and, at that life history stage in the western North Atlantic, feeds primarily on bottom-dwelling fishes such as searobins, hakes, and skates. It seems unlikely that it was the shark responsible for all five attacks in New Jersey during July 1916. Analysis of the wounds on the victims suggest that at least three, different-sized sharks were responsible for these attacks. Based on the available data, the White Shark shows little or no inclination to enter brackish or fresh water (although a close relative of the White Shark, the Porbeagle [Lamna nasus], has recently been reported in brackish water in Argentina). So it seems unlikely that a White Shark was responsible for any of the attacks in Matawan Creek. In short: the case against the 8.5-foot White Shark captured in Raritan Bay as the sole perpetrator of the July 1916 attacks in New Jersey is entirely coincidental and, ultimately, unconvincing.
In the final analysis, it seems highly unlikely that a single shark perpetrated all the attacks blamed on the New Jersey Man-Eater. Whether the attacking sharks included a Bull, Tiger or White Shark cannot be concluded at this time, and may well remain forever open to speculation and debate. But what seems most remarkable about the evidence turned up while investigating the New Jersey Man-Eater is this: while large sharks — including species known to be dangerous — regularly occur along the New Jersey shore and in some of its tidal creeks, attacks against humans are surprisingly rare. After all, if these sharks really were inclined to attack people, incidents like that of the New Jersey Man-Eater would be commonplace and unremarkable. The notoriety — indeed, celebrity — of such incidents is due largely to their rarity.

http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/topics/saf_nj_maneater.htm

jonthepain
08-21-2011, 04:48 PM
i'm staying on shore

mick2360
08-21-2011, 08:16 PM
This is one of those nightmare scenarios that we all think about when we are waist deep in the deep of night. Not enough to make me stop fishing but I wouldn't drag caught fish around with me (I've heard of sharks taking them off of tethers attached to belts....yikes) or stand in the middle of a blue fish swarm.

buckethead
08-22-2011, 04:58 PM
This guy knew what he was doing and it still took his leg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pjbH5OuBc4

seamonkey
08-17-2012, 04:02 AM
Wow, awesome catch!

Seven-foot shark captured off Ocean City beach
August 16, 2012|By Sam Wood, INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

http://stripersandanglers.com/images/pixel.gif

http://media.philly.com/images/600*450/ssh.jpg (http://media.philly.com/images/600*450/ssh.jpg)

"Shark Tony" stands next to his catch on the 58th Street beach in Ocean City,… (Mark Miedama/ Special to…)

A South Jersey man on Wednesday pulled a seven-foot thresher shark from the waters just off the shore of Ocean City.
Just in time for Shark Week.

The man, known as "Shark Tony," landed the 7-foot long beast after hooking it from a kayak and backpaddling to the beach near the 59th Street Pier.

Mark Miedama, who worked as a member of the Ocean City beach patrol this summer, was sitting on the sand with friends about 7:30 p.m. waiting for Shark Tony to return to shore. Miedama noticed him struggling with a big catch.

"It was pretty frisky," Miedama said.It took three men to bring the beast out of the water, Miedama said.

"It didn't want to be beached, for sure." Miedama said. "I helped him pull it up."

Nearly every night at dusk, Shark Tony paddles out into the ocean on his kayak with a bucket of chum, Miedama said.
Usually, Shark Tony's catch is limited to small sand sharks.
Not Wednesday.

"That's the biggest he's pulled up," Miedama said. "It was pretty intimidating."
Distinguished by a long tail fin used to stun prey, thresher sharks are solitary creatures and known to leap out of the water. Threshers are not considered dangerous to man and attacks are exceptionally rare.
Bill Kazmarck, a lifeguard who watches over the 58th Street beach and Miedama's friend, said it's common knowledge that sharks swim off the shore.

"It's their home, too," Kazmarck said. "People ask all the time if there are sharks out there. I'm honest with them. Of course there are. But if they wanted to attack, they'd attack every day
"They don't."

The waters remain safe, said Lt. Brian Booth of the beach patrol. The beach on Thursday remained crowded with vacationers and sunworshippers taking in the last days of summer.

"There were people in the water all day today because it was gorgeous," said Booth. "There's absolutely no cause for concern. There's fish all through the ocean and sharks are part of it. We went in today, so I'm not worried about it."
Kazmarck isn't rattled by the prospect of a shark encounter.

You don't give 'em much thought," he said. "Otherwise, you'd scare yourself right out of the water."
Miedama concurred.
After Shark Tony released it back into the ocean, there was only one thing left to do.
"We went swimming," Miedama said.

http://articles.philly.com/2012-08-16/news/33233678_1_ocean-city-beach-thresher-sharks-shark-week

jigfreak
08-17-2012, 04:04 AM
nice

baitstealer
08-17-2012, 04:23 AM
Look at the teeth on that thing!

fishinmission78
08-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Nice shark but thats a sand tiger. Protected species.

surfstix1963
08-18-2012, 08:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iar440qdupU&feature=player_detailpage
Maybe some tuna next break out the big rods.

DarkSkies
08-18-2012, 11:05 PM
That's some great footage, Surfstix...thanks for posting....:HappyWave:

Monty
08-18-2012, 11:12 PM
One of the most awesome fishing videos I have ever seen. :HappyWave: :thumbsup:

surfstix1963
08-19-2012, 06:11 AM
I've heard rumors they have been in close in NY also,the bait supply must be getting short offshore or the gulf stream is pushing in real close but on the other hand the ocean is very warm this year.

DarkSkies
08-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Surf, guys have been getting them, on and off, right from the surf in the Breezy and FI areas.:HappyWave:

I agree, this is definitely an unusual year.

bababooey
08-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Sharks are all over going after the spot and kingies as you said. Hoo rah! Catch em up!

paco33
08-20-2012, 06:02 PM
That is an awesome video. Inspired us to ge out sharking last night in nomoco. 1 brown and 3 dogfish. Lost the brown in the wash. Thanks for posting surfstix.

clamchucker
08-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Very nice work. Tom Lynch is a regular at Island Beach. There have been sharks and dolphins feeding on large bunker all week.

jigfreak
08-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Tommys a good dude. The video went viral, it now has over 142000 views. Was on the news too. wtg Tom.:thumbsup:

seamonkey
07-31-2013, 03:35 PM
Just viewed this again thanks for posting surfstix it was cool.

fishinmission78
07-31-2013, 03:39 PM
These guys took the video of a great white in June.
30 miles off Atlantic City. There are some big monsters not too far out there in the summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC6wiLR2FO4

robmedina
07-31-2013, 05:43 PM
there are 4 GW off the eastern coast of the US. You can see where they are by going to this link http://sharks-ocearch.verite.com/

bababooey
08-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Have to be careful out there you never know when your number is up.

Bull shark takes bite out of New Jersey teen vacationing in Florida

Christian Mercurio, of Randolph, N.J., was badly chomped by a bull shark while fishing in waist-deep water in Sanibel, Fla.

Comments (9) (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/#commentpostform) By Ginger Adams Otis (http://stripersandanglers.com/authors?author=Ginger Adams Otis)/ NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 6:03 PM
WNBC

Christian Mercurio, a New Jersey teenager, says he survived a shark attack while vacationing with his family in Florida.

A New Jersey teen on a fishing trip in Florida wound up as the catch of the day for a hungry shark.
Christian Mercurio, of Randolph, N.J., got his leg and foot badly chomped by a 6-to-8-foot bull shark last week while fishing in waist-deep swells in Sanibel, Fla.

RELATED: BOY SURVIVES SHARK ATTACK DURING SURFING COMPETITION (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/boy-survives-shark-attack-surfing-competition-article-1.1425262) “I felt like my feet were crushed by cement,” the teen told WNBC-TV.
He had no warning of the menace lurking in the warm shallow waters.
RELATED: VIDEO: HAMMERHEAD SHARK GIVES BIRTH ON BEACH

(http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/video-hammerhead-shark-birth-beach-article-1.1425248)http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1425949.1376430425!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/148788774.jpg Amanda Cotton/Getty Images/iStockphoto
The bull shark that attacked Christian Mercurio was 6 feet to 8 feet.

Christian, 17, said he was bitten twice — and the big fish seemed to get more aggressive as he fought to get away.
“(It bit) once when I was fishing, and the second time when I was trying to run in,” he told WNBC.

RELATED: GOOD SAMARITAN USES 'SHARK WEEK' SKILLS TO RESCUE TEEN (http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/good-samaritan-shark-week-skills-rescue-teen-article-1.1424624)

On the beach, his mother Lisa Mercurio thought he was joking when she heard him yelling for help.
“My mom was like, ‘Don’t yell shark, you’ll start a panic,’” Christian said.
RELATED: SHARK FOUND ON N TRAIN WASHED UP ON CONEY ISLAND (http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/shark-found-n-train-washed-coney-island-article-1.1421996)

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1425951.1376430433!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/shark14n-2-web.jpg WNBC

Luckily, 17-year-old's Christian Mercurio mother is a nurse who quickly wrapped the bite wounds he suffered from a bull shark in Florida.
Luckily, his mom is a registered nurse who sprang into action when she saw the vicious, serrated bite marks up and down his right leg and across his left foot.
She got his legs elevated and wrapped his wounds with beach towels donated by other swimmers.
The bull shark probably mistook Christian for a fish in the cloudy water, authorities said.
It missed hitting any major arteries, but left deep wounds in Christian’s ankles and legs.
Back home in Randolph, Christian recovered from his ordeal by watching “Shark Week” on the Discovery Channel.
“I spent the week having nightmares,” his mom said, describing the shark attack as “surreal.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/shark-bites-new-jersey-teen-florida-vacation-article-1.1425952#ixzz2bxIiwPBv

robmedina
08-14-2013, 12:14 PM
I am glad I read this AFTER I waded out into chest deep water to fish at IBSP!

J Barbosa
08-14-2013, 12:37 PM
I am glad I read this AFTER I waded out into chest deep water to fish at IBSP!

If your like me you just rub your bloody bunker hands on your waders once your done baiting up. Creates a nice chum slick :o

ledhead36
08-14-2013, 08:02 PM
A bull shark was what swam up matawan creek and killed those kids. I think it was in the 1920's or 30's.

ledhead36
08-14-2013, 08:03 PM
If your like me you just rub your bloody bunker hands on your waders once your done baiting up. Creates a nice chum slick :o

You so crazy.:laugh: :HappyWave:

robmedina
08-15-2013, 09:43 AM
If your like me you just rub your bloody bunker hands on your waders once your done baiting up. Creates a nice chum slick :oI was trying to reply to this yesterday but the web kept locking up on me. I was going to say- you must have seen me, lol, cause I do this. my ritual is to put the bait on then rinse my hands in the surf and then wipe the water (and whatever else) off on my waders. maybe not as bad as doing it directly but I am sure there is some residual. I am very finicky about my rods- anyone who uses my stuff MUST rinse their hands after they bait up- I don't want my rod handles smelling like rotten fish. I am sure it drives my friends crazy- but hey if they don't like it buy your own stuff.

Last night I had to wade through thigh high water to get to the outer sandbar to cast to "fishable" water and all I could think about was this story. I kept looking in the water all around me as I waded out and basically ran back in, lol!

williehookem
08-15-2013, 10:38 AM
Last night I had to wade through thigh high water to get to the outer sandbar to cast to "fishable" water and all I could think about was this story. I kept looking in the water all around me as I waded out and basically ran back in, lol!

Bull sharks are nasty there is no rhyme or reason for when they attack. I have read they are one of the most unpredictable sharks out there. Not saying you can predict a shark attack, but from the info out there it seems the bulls will strike at anything that remotely appears to be edible while other sharks are more cautious at first. Saw some of this stuff on shark week too.
Dude that would have been a trip if you were out there at night and a ray bumped against you and you thought it was a shark! I know I would crap my pants if that happened!:scared:

williehookem
08-15-2013, 10:40 AM

Sounds like a plot for one of the "jackass" shows. I could picture them putting johnny knoxville or steve-o in the skit covered by shark blood and bunker pieces. No thanks!:laugh:

seamonkey
08-15-2013, 10:53 AM
That kid is definitely lucky it wasn't worse. And he has some cool scars to impress the chicks with, lol.

storminsteve
09-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Hey that was in Florida but you never know. Even though it has been an off year for sharks in NJ you never know it's not too late for a bull shark to show up.

storminsteve
09-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Thought I would post a thread to honor the end of the tourist season. Lead in with the movie that showed up on TV last year.
Thread title Jersey shore shark attacks. The movie is so bad it's cool!
Post your favorite clips or lamest lines. Anything about NJ shark attacks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiAsI6_sjkQ

VSdreams
09-02-2013, 12:47 PM
lol say it in your best guido voice - "I hate shaaaaaaaaks!!!!!!"

bababooey
09-02-2013, 05:42 PM
^^^^^^Amen, at the same time it is stupid and hilarious. Paul Sorvino, Paul Sirico, Jack Scalia, Fatone, what a battle of guidos against preppies. All of the bennies who come down to Seaside for the season are in this movie.

buckethead
06-21-2015, 08:22 AM
Interesting documentary on NJ shark attacks including the attack in matawan in July 1916.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiUQHeavz8s&list=PLLGSeyV2Fu1gc16p-e8S9hU1hg_M2x5kz

surferman
07-07-2015, 10:07 PM
today

Sharks spotted in Avalon, Margate
http://nj1015.com/sharks-spotted-in-avalon-margate/

dogfish
07-08-2015, 08:03 AM
Aah you joisey folks are sissies. Come on up to MA we have great whites all over.;)
We had 2 in just the last 2 weeks, in 15' of water.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/2015/06/22/first-great-white-shark-the-year-spotted-off-cape-cod/rKEC5V3Llmze3Og2xIGaEO/story.html#comments

bababooey
07-08-2015, 12:29 PM
Sharks are everywhere.
does anyone listen to 101.5 during the day? right now they are having a discussion about sharks in New Jersey beaches.

One lady came on and explained how the lifeguards pulled a 3 foot shark with teeth out of the surf and everyone was scared. and animal control officer had to come and take the shark away because of the fear. The Sharks are right beyond the surf line all summer.

jigfreak
07-09-2015, 02:40 PM
and animal control officer had to come and take the shark away because of the fear. The Sharks are right beyond the surf line all summer.

Scared of a 3 foot baby shark cause it had teeth. Bwah ha ha ha! lol. Friends been catching brownies in the surf at night for 2 weeks now. Bass fishing has been slow just might join them. You are correct sir they are here all summer.

DarkSkies
07-28-2015, 10:10 PM
Shark PSA July 2015-
Just wanted to put out a little PSA for those who fish NNJ beaches and bays.....

Within the last 5 days I have gotten 3 separate reports of sharks with teeth in the SH Bay/Raritan Bay area.....

One from the guys who fish the Navy pier at night...

Another from a kayaker friend of a member here who lost a fluke last minute in SH bay. A shark came up from the channel and ate half of it as he was about to swing it out of the water...

Tonight I got a call from some friends who were fishing in the bay and witness to a bunker blitz end of day...
They saw some larger bluefish, and what they described as a 6' long shark cruising the surface feeding on the bunker...

As jigfreak and others explained....there isn't that much danger from being attacked by these sharks....unless one of the following conditions is true....

1. The biggest danger is when they mistake you for something else....if you are splashing or making erratic movements in murky water....
2. It's probably a smart thing to avoid wading out too deep if there are a lot of bunker concentrated in your area...
3. Finally, I think the biggest risk is at night for those who might want to wade out too far in the bay....
4. Or anyone fishing bloody bait like bunker heads and wading too far out while doing it.

I may be the biggest violator of circumstance #3 above....:embarassed:
The few cases I've heard of folks getting "bumped" are usually when fishing at night and wading.....

Be that as it may.....
Some may not think of the NNJ and Monmouth/Middlesex beaches as holding sharks....
Someone told me the other day if you want to catch sharks, you had to go down to LBI to do it...:rolleyes:

I just wanted folks to be aware...that with all the bunker around...we probably now have a fair number of sharks in our RB/NY Bight area....

In most cases, they are probably brown or sandbar sharks...which historically have not been one of the most aggressive species.....

**But, you never know when there might be a small great white, or bull shark come to visit....
A. so please be careful....
B. and think before you wade out too deep at night......:learn:

buckethead
08-03-2015, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the heads up dark.
Believe it or not a 6 foot hammerhead was within sight of the Asbury boardwalk on Sunday.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2015/08/hammerhead_spotted_just_off_of_asbury_park.html

No attacks but there were probably a lot of folks who would have needed to change their bathing suits if they saw how close it came. See the pic.

surfrob
08-04-2015, 12:35 PM
one thing to note is that some have reported seeing sharks due to the abundance of cow nose rays and their habit of swimming with their wingtips above the surface while feeding.

if you can't see the body either due to murky water or distance then you can easily make the mistake, especially when they are swimming one or more behind the other, which they often do:

http://cdn1.arkive.org/media/7B/7BA5C427-0453-4FB4-BECC-19314E92BF1B/Presentation.Large/Golden-cownose-ray-swimming-at-surface.jpg

cowherder
08-05-2015, 07:42 PM
That's a good point. I have read reports of schools of sharks in the rb. From what I have seen sharks don't usually swim in schools in the bay unless there is a bunker blitz or something like that. More likely they are rays. With that pic you posted it's easy to see how they could make that mistake.

surfrob
08-07-2015, 02:59 PM
someone posted a pic of those "sharks" in RB... and it was clear to someone who has seen them, that they were cownose rays, once you compare pics side by side.

we've made that mistake in the backbays here in dixie as well.

HOWEVER, what I didn't realize until recently is that when rays are mudding on flats, they are going after crabs/shrimp and other flat-dwelling things, and that other
more desirable predators have learned to follow nearby ;)

fishgutz
08-07-2015, 04:41 PM
HOWEVER, what I didn't realize until recently is that when rays are mudding on flats, they are going after crabs/shrimp and other flat-dwelling things, and that other
more desirable predators have learned to follow nearby ;)

There almost seems to be a back story to your comments there. Get bumped by a shark maybe?
We rarely see those rays but a lot of sharks do come in. A good reason not to wander out too far out from the beach at night.;)

dogfish
08-08-2015, 11:05 AM
We rarely see those rays but a lot of sharks do come in.

So true! Cmon fellas these are baby sharks you're talking about. Come up to the great state of Mass and try swimming a hundred yards from the sand. Check out the latest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60w6KdhSsvA

surfrob
08-09-2015, 07:21 AM
Backstory? well, yes... usually a story of learning something the hard way or finding out about missed opportunities :D I'm still learning the south backbay flats... seems to be a lifelong process.

BTW, we've had our share of sharks, and apparently some adult big sharks do come near to our backbays as every year some juvi true sharks are pulled out.

The beach sharking is dominated by sand tigers and what folks call "browns"... though I doubt many if any of the beach anglers know how to differentiate between shark species (including myself) as there are apparently several types that look like "brown" sharks, especially in the smaller sizes we get off the surf.

But by 'predators', what I've learned is that other fish are up on the flats and when the rays come in, they stir up the mud with their wings, in order to dislodge crabs, shrimp and worms... then they eat. Well, then dinner is served and other fish come in to help clean up... so a technique here is to find the mudding rays and then fish around them with bottom jigs, cut crab, etc trying to avoid the rays themselves, of course.

DarkSkies
05-10-2016, 12:27 PM
Just a PSA..
after receiving reports by RobM of brown sharks in the Barnegat Bay system...I started to wonder when they would show up in the Raritan Bay and
New York bight area.

After speaking to a few of the old-timers who were fishing the Navy Pier last night ...and didn't really catch a lot of blue fish ......they also had strange happenings.
3 complete bite-offs through steel leaders like they were butter.
This is highly unusual for them to be here this early in the season, (usually) they don't show up until July or August at the earliest.

So it (appears) at least a few of them may be here right now. That's the most reasonable explanation for what happened to them last night.

That...or threshers.

If you are wading out there, like I and some of the others do, please be very careful you don't carry anything with you that has a scent.... or carry any bait with you at all.

captnemo
05-10-2016, 04:55 PM
Little early for browns. Could be threshers though. Jmo.What ds said be careful wading. Even carrying gulp might not be good.

7deadlyplugs
05-11-2016, 11:12 AM
Seals maybe?

cowherder
05-11-2016, 01:43 PM
It's a sea monster LOL

jigfreak
05-11-2016, 02:07 PM
No its a baby whale.

DarkSkies
05-12-2016, 01:22 PM
I appreciate the comments and humor, people.
I've done some more thinking about this and I have trouble convincing myself that these could be brown sharks. It just doesn't fit for this time of year.

Additionally, a good friend of mine was fishing the ocean in Monmouth County yesterday with a conventional rod and reel. He's caught a bunch of big fish to his credit, and knows what he's doing.
He called complaining because he was on his way to a tackle shop to get respooled.. "something big just spooled him" and then bit through his leader.
If any of you have any thoughts on the most likely creatures to be doing that this time of year, they would be appreciated. Thanks

plugcrazy
05-12-2016, 07:50 PM
Seals maybe?
I'm thinking it was a seal as well. Have you guys seen seals in that area?

voyager35
05-12-2016, 09:28 PM
It sounds a little far-fetched, but there is a great white shark Nursery off The Jersey coast. Great whites can handle colder water than browns.
http://www.app.com/story/news/local/new-jersey/2015/07/17/evidence-may-point-great-white-shark-nursery-nj/30324181/

surferman
07-03-2016, 10:43 PM
shark reported in jetty country a few days ago.
http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2016/06/shark_spotted_off_jersey_shore_beach.html

plugcrazy
07-04-2016, 10:44 AM
I think they would still be around because of all the bunkers. My .02

surfrob
07-05-2016, 04:40 PM
shark reported in jetty country a few days ago.
http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2016/06/shark_spotted_off_jersey_shore_beach.html

could have been cow nose rays, who have a nice habit of keeping their wings up in "shark like" position.

Although one would think life guards would know the difference, without pics it's hard to tell.

that said, there are a ton of brown and sand tiger sharks hanging in the surf zone that no one knows about.

it's the people-biting buggahs that would scare ya... and I can't recall a surfer who got bit that said they said
they saw fins swimming around prior. when a shark wants to hunt, it doesn't let it's prey know it's around.

bababooey
07-10-2016, 04:31 PM
check this out.
Is there anyone out there who would put their safety concerns in a wristband?

https:/youtube.com/watch?v=JNzyTl8LdyQ

captnemo
08-27-2017, 12:57 PM
Seal gets piece taken out by NJ shark attack. And they say there are no great whites in Jersey.
http://newjersey.news12.com/story/36216368/seal-attacked-by-shark-found-on-new-jersey-beach

captnemo
04-06-2018, 06:01 PM
Blast from the past. Before fishing season opens. You guys might appreciate reading about the Matawan creek shark attack or 1916.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Shore_shark_attacks_of_1916