PDA

View Full Version : Glen Mikkelson Baitfish

J Barbosa
09-16-2013, 01:33 PM
These are fun to tie, I plan to use these as both teasers and flies.

Hook is a size 2/0 Mustad 34007.

Materials are bucktail w/a few strands of flash (mostly Flashabou in pearl or silver)
The silver body ones contain Bill's body braid.

Clear Cure Goo thin UV resin for the body.

The CCG is very easy to work with but the thin does run quickly. If I had a true rotary vice I could just spin it to get a perfect shape before hitting it with the UV light.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3809/9771085762_295d2994ea_b.jpg

plugginpete
09-16-2013, 02:07 PM
very nice they look just about the size of rainbait how long are they?

buckethead
09-16-2013, 02:40 PM
Nice work JB.

robmedina
09-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Looking good JB!

cowherder
09-16-2013, 03:30 PM

x2 they look just like the rainfish I have been seeing. Looking good!

J Barbosa
09-16-2013, 03:41 PM

They are around 2 - 2.25" long and I think they are a great imitation for medium to large spearing.

For the next batch I will tie some even smaller for the times when the bait is really small ("rainbait").

I am going to pickup some synthetic and transparent material for those.

J Barbosa
09-16-2013, 03:46 PM
The hardest part is going to be which one to tie on first...and how to keep friends out of my teaser bag. :)

I am a big fan of the silver ones on the bottom along with the all back.

I am also a sucker for yellow/white plugs and who could resist pure white which probably looks the most realistic underwater?

robmedina
09-16-2013, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the inspiration JB. I have tied a few sand eel imitations that use the epoxy but looking at your dozen flies here it made me realize I need to tie some more but I am going to mix it up and use some colors like yours. Thanks!

surfstix1963
09-17-2013, 03:56 AM
Nice work...Good fall teaser

J Barbosa
09-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the inspiration JB. I have tied a few sand eel imitations that use the epoxy but looking at your dozen flies here it made me realize I need to tie some more but I am going to mix it up and use some colors like yours. Thanks!

Rob,

When you are trying your flies using the epoxy or clear cure type resins do you seal them when done?

These are a little tacky to the touch even after being cleaned with alcohol. I wonder if that will cause them to pickup dirt?

I did some reading and some say to cover with hard as nails or other similar topcoat.

robmedina
09-17-2013, 03:36 PM
clear cure goo does have that sticky residue even after fully cured. hard as nails will solve that. I use loon uv epoxy. if I quick cure with a uv light it will be sticky but then I take it outside and sit it in the sun. once fully cured there is no sticky residue but I still coat with hard as nails anyway.

J Barbosa
09-17-2013, 03:44 PM
Have you noticed any cracking with or without the hard as nails?

CCG website claims that their product will not crack.

robmedina
09-17-2013, 05:48 PM
nope.

J Barbosa
06-23-2014, 10:38 AM
Rob,

When you are trying your flies using the epoxy or clear cure type resins do you seal them when done?

These are a little tacky to the touch even after being cleaned with alcohol. I wonder if that will cause them to pickup dirt?

I did some reading and some say to cover with hard as nails or other similar topcoat.

To answer my own question a few months later:

After cleaning them with rubbing alcohol I let them dry and apply a product called "topcoat". Several other products out there like loon, liquid fusion, hard as nails. You get a tougher finish that won't pickup dirt.

surfrob
06-23-2014, 04:05 PM
would epoxy work ok?

J Barbosa
06-24-2014, 08:47 AM
would epoxy work ok?

Yes, and epoxy is cheaper than clear cure goo but can yellow over time (2 years+).

Take a look at Surf Candies, very similar pattern just larger which makes them slightly easier to tie:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?9157-Surf-Candy&highlight=surf+candy