PDA

View Full Version : Fisherman to angler to sportsman

bababooey
06-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Someone tried to outline the stages of fishing on another board. Here's part of the post, pretty cool. :thumbsup:

The fisherman wants to simply get out and try to catch a fish. They only fish a few times in their life, and they don't express much concern about fishery stocks or conservation. They tend to keep the fish they catch as a reward for their effort or simply to have some fresh fish for dinner.

The angler has successfully fished many times; they soon want to go out and catch & keep a full limit of fish. From there they go through the following stages:
1. they want to see how quickly they can catch a limit.
2. they want to see if they can catch a limit every time on the water.
3. they want to try to catch a trophy-sized fish as part of their limit.
4. they want to catch a limit of trophy-sized fish.
Lastly, the angler wants to catch bigger fish than the other anglers and fisherman around them (or participate in formal tournaments) as a way of trying to demonstrate their honed skills and as a way of trying to proove they are better than others.

The sportsman is someone who wants to make sure that while they enjoy their sport that they constantly work to make sure that others will be provided the same enjoyment and opportunity in the future. When sportsmen head out on the water, they don't NEED to catch a fish; all they need is the personal satisfaction of knowing that they and others have the chance, legal opportunity and good fortune to continue to do so for many years in the future. The sportsman is always working to promote a good image of their sport, and always working to try to help others enjoy the sport as well. http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif

Typically, most sportsmen have already progressed through the ranks of fisherman and angler, and most have caught & killed more fish than many people would begin to believe. These folks don't need a loaded stringer, a full cooler, a tournament win, or "dock trophy shots" to proove their fish catching abilities.

Instead, sportsmen constantly monitor their beloved fisheries; they get involved to insure they are protected. Sportsmen will modify their angling techniques to insure that they put minimal strain on the resources they love. Sportmen tend to practice more catch & release, they use circle hooks, barbless hooks, or single hooks instead of arming their offerings with things like treble hooks or stinger hooks and they will often forgo the use of live or natural bait opting for flies or artificial lures instead.

Most sportsmen derive a lot more enjoyment from releasing a fish (especialy large breeder-sized fish) than they ever got killing one. They get more of a thrill knowing that the fish they just released could provide dozens of others the same enjoyment in the future than they could ever get from parading its dead carcass around the docks or by handing out bags of fillets to friends, family, co-workers and neighbors.

Ultimately, you decide where you are on the scale from fisherman-to angler-to sportsman, and you are the ones that ultimately can positively or negatively affect the sport of fishing. http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif

Careless handling and excessive killing of large breeder-size fish is short-sighted and foolish, and the negative effects have been repeatedly demonstrated with numerous other fish species for anyone that takes the shortest amount of time to research the facts. (Jayhawk saw it firsthand with walleyes, most have witnesed the redfish stock recovery in the South, and older folks can remember when bass were scarce right here in NJ.) I know I have seen big tiderunner weakfish go from a nuisance species to an almost rare catch in my home waters of Sandy Hook & raritan Bay in only about 10-15 years.

Stripers are not an unlimited resource. they are a renewable resource. However, when you look at the pressure that these fish are now getting up and down the coast from Maine to North Carolina, you will recognize that too many large fish are being harvested every day, and the population will never be able to sustain such high rates of attrition.

When YOY indexes and overall stock assessments are showing a significant reduction, the writing is on the wall that the stocks are not renewing themselves as fast as they are being depleted.

Some folks (most of them fishermen and anglers) say "catch as catch can" and "enjoy the good days now, because bad times are surely ahead in the future." As a sportsman, I say "start praticing more responsible limited harvest by using a slot system now to prevent the eventual collapse."

A slot limit would allow all these 30-50 pounders get the opportunity to try to turn into 60-80 pounders. A slot limit will also insure that my young children will get the chance to chase stripers off the coast of NJ when they are my age by insuring protection for the most successful and older spawning fish before any irreversible stock colapses.

... Or, we can all just be "Azzwipe Anglers" out there trying to bash sportsmen by calling them "Pinheads" while killing every fish we can, because the law allows it.

fishlipper
06-28-2008, 04:11 PM
good read:thumbsup:

surferman
01-29-2010, 09:11 PM
I would consider myself a sportsman. It is not just about catching the fish and leaving the surf. It is so much more than that. I have learned CnR and the value of the thrill of catch.

gjb1969
01-29-2010, 09:50 PM
that sounds right:fishing::)

rip316
01-29-2010, 10:50 PM
I have not learned CNR as of yet because my family loves to eat fish. I also have not caught a lot of big bass in my life. 34 inches is my best to date. I guess if I start catchin bass on a more consistant basis than I will probably start turning them free. I don't want you guys to think that I am not into the conservation thing but, we do eat what we catch.

DarkSkies
01-29-2010, 11:23 PM
I don't want you guys to think that I am not into the conservation thing but, we do eat what we catch.

Rip, I'm glad you're comfortable enough in your own skin to be proud to say that. :thumbsup: That's what fishin is about on its most basic level, going out there to catch something with the hopes of eating it. I would hate to live in a time when that was no longer possible.

I remember being on the beach a few years ago, there was a fresh dead albie that got washed back onto the sand. I took my knife and filleted it right there at the surf line. Took a bloody slab, popped it in my mouth. I ate it as the blood dripped down my chin. It was great. :lookhappy:

These 2 guys looked at me like I was a lunatic. Later that season they wrote a report about some crazy guy at SH eating a bloody albie. I thought it was a blast, too bad if they didn't. :don't know why:

I think the big push to C&R becomes a bit scary when people get behind it like it's a religion. We all know that trying to push one's religion on others only turns them off. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.gif In the same way preaching C&R all the time to others who may not feel the same way is counter productive.

I think C&R gets some of the most attention when people like Finchaser and others who have lived through the lean times of no fish now have decided to C&R because it's a choice they believe in. That's OK too.

Ya have to remember, it's still a choice, for all of us, as to what we will do with a legally caught fish.

People wouldn't presume to tell a stranger how to raise their child. In the same way you wouldn't want to push your views about C&R on someone who doesn't feel that way. If someone is following the law, it's not good for someone else to try to guilt them into feeling bad about following that law. I do understand peoples' motivation about trying to preserve a species for the future though, and try very hard to maintain a delicate balance of that in my posts here.

I hope you or anyone else doesn't feel like we're pushing C&R here, at any time, as the only choice to make. If so, please call us out on it, and I'll re-visit the statement or thread.

Catching and killing something to eat is part of the primal existence that first existed when man didn't have the boundaries of civilization. I don't think we should lose touch with that part of ourselves. :viking:

The reason you see this long-winded response is that I got into a long conversation tonight with a friend about the animals we kill and eat every day. Society has become so politically correct he can't even mention that his company kills animals. "Kill" has been transformed to "further processing" :kooky:

What happened in our society that we can't say we kill and eat animals? :huh:

So I hope I'm making it clear by saying that because we talk about conservation, that in no way does it mean you should not kill and eat bass. That's your right, and your choice. :HappyWave:

surfstix1963
01-30-2010, 06:15 AM
Hey Rip theres no shame in taking some for the table if you eat it thats fine its the abusers who take everything they catch or throw blues up on the beach& leave them there. My whole family loves fish we were raised on it,I keep what I know will be used I abide by regs if I got that 50 Lber.theres no doubt it would go back in the water a quick weigh and back it goes. I don't need to be on the cover of a fishing mag for the glory of it.A fish that big would be like chewing on a tire.

vpass
01-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Hey, Rip that is what fishing is about. As long as you respect the fish you take, and there is no waste. I get upset with myself when the family doesn't eat the last serving of a bass i take. I don't keep blues because no one eats them in my family. I only keep a few bass, and I don't give fish away except for my parents if they request for one.

I get more pleasure doing the CnR. For me keeping 3 bass a year is good enough, and usually they are keeper that might not make it.

jonthepain
01-30-2010, 09:16 AM
My family loves to eat blues.

I've kept a few bass in my life but have released hundreds if not thousands.

I'd never keep a big old cow though. Don't care if it's a citation or world record or whatever. Just couldn't do it.

They are good eatin' and that's why God put them there, so have at it. But with that being said, He still requires us to be good stewards of what he gave us. So if it's slot limits or not keeping shorts or big breeders or whatever the science says, I'm all for it.

Now if we could just keep the dam bunker boats and shrimp boats from destroying the resource, all would be good.

jigfreak
08-16-2013, 12:08 PM
They are good eatin' and that's why God put them there, so have at it. But with that being said, He still requires us to be good stewards of what he gave us. So if it's slot limits or not keeping shorts or big breeders or whatever the science says, I'm all for it.

Well said.