PDA

View Full Version : First timer here...Be gentle!

Blazin420
11-02-2013, 07:49 AM
So finally got myself a tying kit and i was tying away last night since i wasnt fishing!!http://www.stripersurf.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif ..Only have yellow and purple/black right now.Since i didnt wanna go crazy until i new i liked it(kinda knew i would)..I no i need some prctice but its a start hope these guys catch fish..I tyed 5 tesaers,2 tail hooks and fixed a BT that lost all its hair..Very fun and addictive..Hardest part for me was getting the whip finish down but i think i got it..So let me know what ya think good or bad..I like constructive criticismhttp://www.stripersurf.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif especially from the pros...I no the heads are probably WAY to big..I need to learn that ya dont need soo much thread:D

J Barbosa
11-02-2013, 08:03 AM
They look pretty good and like you said no need for that much thread.

Did you strip out the short hairs from the bucktail?

Have you coated the thread with something to protect it yet?

I really like the bucktail :thumbsup:

Blazin420
11-02-2013, 08:13 AM
They look pretty good and like you said no need for that much thread.

Did you strip out the short hairs from the bucktail?

Have you coated the thread with something to protect it yet?

I really like the bucktail :thumbsup:
Thanks John!!

I did strip out the short hairs and used Hard as Nails nail polish(stole my wifes:))..I was just being over cautious about the hair falling out after 1 fish..Tried not to over load with hair instead used to much thread lol!

Figured id bring some life back to all those BT the fluke destroyed over the summer:)

Monty
11-02-2013, 09:40 AM
What I have been doing is when starting put a few wraps back from the eye, small amount of Hard as Hull so it sticks to hook, then before I finish the head also apply some HaH. Finish the head, whip finish and coat with HaH.
I had problems loosing hairs on the first few lots I tied, this solved the problem for me.
Great start.
JB and Surfstix tie some great looking teasers. Most of my March/April Bass were on Surfstix teasers this year and I have a few of JB's teasers that I can't wait to fish next year. Their advice should be helpful.

surfstix1963
11-02-2013, 11:17 AM
1st. time pretty damn good.Always lay down a thread wrap on the hook shank and hit it w/hard as nails, cut your bucktail and hold it by the tips too clear out the short hairs and always trim the cut end flush so the ends are even from the get go when you tie them down.Leave about a 1/4" gap from the hook eye so you can build a head later on,don't try and pull too tight on the thread it will cause the BT to spin on the hook a couple loose wraps to hold it then tie it down I don't whip finish I double half hitch and HAN.It takes practice don't rush it you have all winter.

Blazin420
11-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Thanxs guys and thanx alot for the tips..Im gonna try these out tonight..Hope the catch!!..I no JB's catch for sure!

Blazin420
11-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Is there a big difference in whip finishing opposed to half hitch? is one better than the other?..And your right surfstix i got all winter to sharpen my skills:cool:

cowherder
11-02-2013, 02:23 PM
They look very nice for the first time out blazin! Thanks for posting them up and keep up the good work.

buckethead
11-03-2013, 12:01 AM
Nice work good luck to you

surfstix1963
11-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Some just prefer it, I don't find it to be needed the half hitches and HAN will hold it. I also epoxy my heads.
Is there a big difference in whip finishing opposed to half hitch? is one better than the other?..And your right surfstix i got all winter to sharpen my skills:cool:

Blazin420
11-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Thanx again guys..And thanx for the input surfstix..I wanna try some epoxy on my next bunch..Oh they work!!! Picked up a short on the black and purple last night!!! Really cool to get a fish on something you made yourself!

J Barbosa
11-03-2013, 06:52 PM
As mentioned its very important to put thread on the shank so the material has something to grip to.

I think the whip finish produces a cleaner look but in the end it's the epoxy or glue that's going to hold the fly together not the knot. The knot is just to keep the thread tight until you coat it with something more permanent so use whatever you like.

Epoxy gives a nice finished look to the teaser and protects the wraps. I'm currently using 5 minute epoxy which hardens on the vice but I'm going to look into a drying wheel and 30min epoxy over the winter.

If you buy white thread you can color the finished wrap any color you want with a sharpie. Just allow it to dry before coating with epoxy.

I usually add sticker eyes (WTP - witchcraft tape prism eyes) before coating with epoxy and that gives it a nice look and adds some reflection.

I will coat the dry epoxy with hard as nails and that helps it from cracking.

I have some bucktail molds if you want to pour your own. They are modified to take the forged Mustad 34185 hooks.

surfstix1963
11-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Your Welcome BTW I use the 30 minute Devcon.5 minute works but it is not waterproof it softens quick in the water use very thin coats unless you have a spinner
Thanx again guys..And thanx for the input surfstix..I wanna try some epoxy on my next bunch..Oh they work!!! Picked up a short on the black and purple last night!!! Really cool to get a fish on something you made yourself!

J Barbosa
11-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Your Welcome BTW I use the 30 minute Devcon.5 minute works but it is not waterproof it softens quick in the water use very thin coats unless you have a spinner

That explains why I have had some crack on me after catching a few fish.

That problem went away once I started coating them with hard as nails.

I always just thought the 30min was much harder.

Great stuff here :thumbsup:

Flytyingguy1
03-29-2014, 04:34 PM
General rule of thumb you want your lighter color on the bottom of your ties.