PDA

View Full Version : Catching squid on plugs?

porgy75
11-18-2013, 01:21 AM
One of my buds was fishing down by belmar and he swears he caught a few squid on a yellow bomber the other night. I have never seen anyone catch squid on a lure and thought maybe he snagged them. He said he caught 3 so I don't think he is lying he may really have caught. Is anyone else catching these on lures or are you seeing them around?

dogfish
11-18-2013, 01:39 AM
I have caught squid on plugs fishing the outer sides of breechways and inlets. We have a lot of them here. A slow retrieve will get them and they will attack the plug if you crawl it. They would have to be pretty bountiful for him to catch 3 in a night. Didn't think they were that thick inshore in jersey.

porgy75
01-18-2015, 12:00 PM
I just wanted to ask you fellas again if you have ever caught them on plugs. I still haven't and wondered what that would be like do they hit quick or just little taps? I heard of that happening in NJ this year from the beach and was not sure it was true because I have never seen them in the surf. Anyone know? thanks

rockhopper
01-21-2015, 01:44 PM
What dogfish said. They come into the sound in the late spring and summer. You can catch them from some of the docks on the north shore. Ihave never got one from the surf tho.

surferman
01-22-2015, 07:41 AM
Here is a pic I found. They caught it in the fall on a NJ beach. Pretty cool.