PDA

View Full Version : Soft Swim Baits, Shad/Mullet types

Monty
12-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Anyone have preferences for certain types of shad/mullet types?
Tail types (split, paddle, curly).
Use certain types in different water?
I like the paddle types in strong current.(Panther Martin)
Curly tails in calmer water (Tsunami).

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_12_15_Shad.jpg

surfstix1963
12-15-2013, 02:34 PM
I like the Tsunami swimbaits on the beach(paddletails/split tails) the Storm paddletails seem to produce better in current(bridges/inlets)the storm sandeels were pretty productive this fall and for weaks Bubblegum Fin-S That's about it for me not much of a rubber guy.

storminsteve
12-15-2013, 06:26 PM
What surfstix said. Like the tsunamis better than the storms for the sand

jigfreak
12-17-2013, 10:06 PM
I like the paddle types in strong current.(Panther Martin)

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_12_15_Shad.jpg

I use paddle tails or the cigar minnows for bridges and inlet areas. I like the split tails like the zooms or fin s when there are a lot of spearing or smaller bait around. They can work equally well for me depening on time of year. The paddle tails are also good for rips and rivers. Something about that paddle is magic in the right circumstances

Blazin420
12-18-2013, 07:37 AM
I like the storm shads(4,5and6in) in a heavy rip/current they seem to shine in those conditions for me.. also on the edges of jettys! Im also a HUGE fan of the Visions for the open beach i have caught more fish on the Surfeel and Sandeels then any other soft plastic i own(which is a lot :D)..They are hard to find so when ever i come across them i by a few packs..As for colors in the storms pearl white,chartruse 90% of the time..And the Visions:the sandeels any color really they all look very similar and i have used a sharpie to color the back on some that are beat up..The Surfeel i LOVE the school bus color which is basically yellow..

storminsteve
12-21-2013, 02:58 PM
a HUGE fan of the Visions for the open beach i have caught more fish on the Surfeel and Sandeels then any other soft plastic i own(which is a lot :D)..They are hard to find so when ever i come across them i by a few packs...

Try the tsunami sandeels they worked for me this morning. Low and slow.
They are a lot easier to find in the shops

bluesdude71
12-21-2013, 04:59 PM
I fish harbor and some bridge areas. I like the cigar minnow which is like the tsunami or storm shad but it is a lot thinner like a big spearing or mullet with a paddle tail. There is also another shad shaped thing I toss that is about 5" long. It is like a bunker but has a forked tail. When the bluefish are around they can nip at it but cannot chop the tail off.

finchaser
12-21-2013, 08:59 PM
Finesse shakers and Berkley Havocs