PDA

View Full Version : Minnow Trap Under the ICE!

dogfish246
01-27-2014, 02:35 PM
Hey guys,

I was curious what the fish were doing under the ice so here it is! Pretty neat seeing spearing in the frozen ponds, they are supposed to be offshore lol

Obviously catching bait this time of year is slow lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a75e3E0oca8

J Barbosa
01-27-2014, 08:03 PM
Hey guys,

I was curious what the fish were doing under the ice so here it is! Pretty neat seeing spearing in the frozen ponds, they are supposed to be offshore lol

Obviously catching bait this time of year is slow lol

This is one of the coolest videos I have seen in a long time; Thank You!

surfstix1963
01-28-2014, 04:24 AM
Good job nice video.

dogfish246
01-28-2014, 01:22 PM

Good job nice video.

Thanks guys! It is really neat to see what happens under the ice, let alone under the water!

cowherder
01-28-2014, 07:09 PM

Thank you as well. It's awesome to see someone get out there in the cold and show us that there is still some life despite winters cold grip.

Monty
01-28-2014, 08:05 PM
Thank you as well. It's awesome to see someone get out there in the cold and show us that there is still some life despite winters cold grip.
^^^^^
What he said, cool video, thanks.

DarkSkies
01-29-2014, 06:06 AM
Well-done, dogfish.......:HappyWave:

I'm sure you have your own ideas for thesis topics as you continue your education....
However, one thing mentioned over and over by fishermen I know in different areas of NJ and LI has been the lack of estuary forage fish after Sandy, and how that gap in the subsequent months had affected fishing for many of us......

If you wanted to continue your thoughts and research on this, it could be helpful to a lot of us out there....Although a lot has been written on forage fish life cycles, to my knowledge there is no one out there documenting these things on video, to the extent you are, right now......

Please keep up the good work.
You may not realize how important your research may become someday......and it's great to have someone with your enthusiasm sharing it with others......Best of luck in your continuing education....:thumbsup:

buckethead
01-29-2014, 07:46 AM
Nice work thanks for sharing it.

dogfish246
01-30-2014, 12:21 PM
Well-done, dogfish.......:HappyWave:

I'm sure you have your own ideas for thesis topics as you continue your education....
However, one thing mentioned over and over by fishermen I know in different areas of NJ and LI has been the lack of estuary forage fish after Sandy, and how that gap in the subsequent months had affected fishing for many of us......

If you wanted to continue your thoughts and research on this, it could be helpful to a lot of us out there....Although a lot has been written on forage fish life cycles, to my knowledge there is no one out there documenting these things on video, to the extent you are, right now......

Please keep up the good work.
You may not realize how important your research may become someday......and it's great to have someone with your enthusiasm sharing it with others......Best of luck in your continuing education....:thumbsup:

Thanks! And yea, I am looking at estuary forage fish right now. Ironically, our long term otter trawl data and barnegat bay otter trawl data doesnt have anything different that jumps out at us (without numerical analysis) from pre and post sandy... Might just be people's fishing spots are different and arent producing. But at this point, who knows.

buckethead
02-01-2014, 09:01 AM
^^^ I agree that there was a difference last year. Good to see someone on the ball looking into it. This year should be key to seeing if those bait fish will come back strong.