PDA

View Full Version : what new toys did you get over the winter break?

robmedina
02-07-2014, 08:18 AM
I know most of you are like me, if you are not fishing you are thinking about fishing. For me all that thinking is not good, it means I start wanting then spending.
So my toys for this year are a 5wt no name fly rod to do some trout fishing, G Loomis GL3 9wt, and a TFO TiCr x 10wt for more fly fishing this year. What about you guys?

storminsteve
02-07-2014, 01:11 PM
I just picked up a penn greenie for $30 at last weeks flea market in perth amboy. I have seen them listed listed for $50 and above so I think I got a good deal. The paint is a little spotty. Looking for the right color match to make it look nice. then again I don't think the fish care if it looks nice or not. Mechanically it's 100%.
Are you doing any teaser tying over the winter?

finchaser
02-07-2014, 03:36 PM
Built a 9' CTS blank and bought a Penn Bail less Penn Torque 5 for it

robmedina
02-07-2014, 05:13 PM
nice fin! I would love to get into building a rod. just to many things on my plate.

SS- nah I have not tied much lately. I did tie a bunch of wooly buggers and nymphs in the late fall/ early winter but since my truck was in the accident I have all my crap in my backroom and some of ended up on my fly tying desk- I have been too lazy to touch it.

Monty
02-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Built a 9' CTS blank and bought a Penn Bail less Penn Torque 5 for it
Nice, curious on the weight of the reel to that rod. Is that important? I have a similar rod reel match up I am looking at.

finchaser
02-07-2014, 06:41 PM
balanced with a 3/4 ounce of lead reel weighed in at 18 ounces

my VSb150 was way to light plus I use it on a 9' custom Fiberstar Raptor

My VS 200 is on a 9' custom Lami Super Surf all balance perfect on 1 finger at reel stem

Give me a call anytime stop by if your in the are or just want to kill some time

Monty
02-07-2014, 08:22 PM
balanced with a 3/4 ounce of lead reel weighed in at 18 ounces

my VSb150 was way to light plus I use it on a 9' custom Fiberstar Raptor

My VS 200 is on a 9' custom Lami Super Surf all balance perfect on 1 finger at reel stem

Give me a call anytime stop by if your in the are or just want to kill some time

Will do, is the "balance on one finger at the stem" a good indication of a balanced rod/reel?
That CTS rod weigh about 8 ounces?

surfstix1963
02-08-2014, 07:51 AM
No new toys for me other then what I bought from Monty and plugs I built,no need to spend more money when there are no fish to catch.My new hobby is supporting pitbull rescue and to stop dog fighting,I have always been involved to a lesser degree now my plans are to get more involved since I have the time and also to fight the Govt. for a different reason and cause.The only thing that makes any dog vicious is it's owner just as a bad parent turns out bad children.

robmedina
02-08-2014, 12:19 PM
The only thing that makes any dog vicious is it's owner just as a bad parent turns out bad children. that always cracked me up. I am a pretty good dog trainer if I do say so my self, but anyway, people will see how my dog acts and say "You got lucky, your dog is good"

finchaser
02-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Will do, is the "balance on one finger at the stem" a good indication of a balanced rod/reel?
That CTS rod weigh about 8 ounces?

Yes it is, you add weight to rod but won't feel it as it will not be top heavy, I balance all surf rods I build. Ask Pebbles she couldn't fish because of her shoulder, I made a rod for her balanced it and she fishes for hours no pain.

I've don't it to factory rods for people same results. Please don't think I'm telling you this because I'm trying to talk you into as custom rod not the case

Monty
02-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Yes it is, you add weight to rod but won't feel it as it will not be top heavy, I balance all surf rods I build. Ask Pebbles she couldn't fish because of her shoulder, I made a rod for her balanced it and she fishes for hours no pain.

I've don't it to factory rods for people same results. Please don't think I'm telling you this because I'm trying to talk you into as custom rod not the case

Thank you for the answer, I really appreciate your honest answers always.
Would never think of that from you.

As far as butt length, from reel stem to end, I have always been comfortable with 21"-22", is the "right way" having it the length that I am comfortable with, or is it something else that I should learn to be comfortable with?

finchaser
02-08-2014, 09:05 PM
length and then balance it I have short arms I do 19 to center of R/S

surfstix1963
02-09-2014, 07:36 AM
Luck has nothing to do with it,skills and a lot of time and patience does the trick.All dogs need to understand you are the pack leader as well as their friend.
that always cracked me up. I am a pretty good dog trainer if I do say so my self, but anyway, people will see how my dog acts and say "You got lucky, your dog is good"