PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Thread

surfstix1963
02-13-2014, 12:36 PM
This is for anyone who considers themselves a newbie fire away with the questions.The thing about fishing is your always a newbie because there is always something to learn.I was always told by my cousin when I was younger to keep your mouth shut and your ears open and you will learn a lot.

ledhead36
02-13-2014, 02:28 PM
.I was always told by my cousin when I was younger to keep your mouth shut and your ears open and you will learn a lot.

Thats why God gave us 2 ears and one mouth. Good point. We were all green at the gills at one time.

surfstix1963
02-13-2014, 02:31 PM
yes sir you have to learn how to crawl before you walk..

baitstealer
02-13-2014, 03:15 PM
ok I have a question for those of you guys who use lures and bucktails and big wood. How long does it take to get good at it and if you fish bait how long should you give yourself to make the transition between baitfisher and surfcaster. I see the guys in the daytime and they sometimes do catch and sometimes not. The thing that gets to me is there is a lot of not catching. It seems like some of them cast for hours with no results. Bait is a lot simpler just plop the clams in sit down in your truck or bucket and wait. So if you want to get better can you bait fish and use the lures at the same time or you should just go all out and quit bait. If you do that how much time should you give yourself until you actually know what you are doing and are good at it? thanks for any and all advice.

Monty
02-13-2014, 04:51 PM
I don't have any idea how long it takes to get "good at it" (still trying and trying and enjoying the learning experience), but I find fishing artificials all the time much more fun, Its much more of a learning experience than fishing bait, a lot to learn, more satisfying. Fishing both at the same time is no way to learn how to fish artificials, need to concentrate and make a commitment to fishing artificails (if you enjoy it) it is much more rewarding, feeling that you accomplish something when you catch. What I found was that when I started catching more fish on plugs, rubber and teasers I never wanted to fish any type of bait again.

I love the rush of fooling a Striper to take a plug or Hogy. Especially in the dark, its even more fun.
With catching comes confidence, confidence brings more fish caught.

While out there casting and trying to fool fish to take an artificial thinking what to throw next, where, how deep, when to move to the next spot,, next rock pile....I kinda get "lost" out there fishing, didn't get that feeling throwing bait and sitting and waiting...and waiting.

surfstix1963
02-13-2014, 07:11 PM
You really need to be dedicated to learning when using plugs,with the diversity of plugs out there these days and every plug has a different application and action in which you need to choose what you think is best for the situation the whole key IMO to fishing plugs is being confident in the one that is on your line, most guys trying to do the switch get bored quickly and give up or keep switching lures constantly it is a lot of work no doubt. The thing I don't like about bait is you can't cover the ground a plugger can you are relying on a fish to pick up the scent in one spot finding it laying on the bottom and deciding should I eat this or swim by.Once you have a bass or blue blow up on a plug it is an immediate adrenaline rush.If I were to fish bait it would be a live eel hands down.If you have the time this winter and can find open water go throw a few plugs know what they do and make them do it.

hookset
02-13-2014, 08:56 PM
You really need to be dedicated to learning when using plugs,with the diversity of plugs out there these days and every plug has a different application and action in which you need to choose what you think is best for the situation the whole key IMO to fishing plugs is being confident in the one that is on your line, most guys trying to do the switch get bored quickly and give up or keep switching lures constantly it is a lot of work no doubt.

what he said. I think the thing that keeps a lot of fellas from makeing the switch is lack of confidence. Put your time in and learn each plug you are throwing and how it swims. Dont take the easy way out. Bait produces but it limits your evolution. Good thread surfsticks.

surfwalker
02-14-2014, 08:25 AM
Baitstealer, I don?t think that you can put a time thing on how long it will take to get good at surfcasting. I've been doing it for a while, and am still learning, that's part of the enjoyment for me.

It's not only casting to anywhere you feel, but looking for certain waters that may contain fish.
It's not only just sticking on any plug or rubber, but learning the bait of the water you fish at certain times of the year, and applying that knowledge to the particular artificial you choose. Shutouts will come, but that's part of trying to perfect this game, but really never totally achieving it. I enjoy seeking fish rather than use bait and wait for the fish to come to me.

If you enjoy bait, sitting around, looking at your rod tip, waiting, changing your bait, waiting, then do it. There's no right or wrong way, it's up to you what make you happy. I have stated my preference to surfcast in many previous posts.

The time factor in becoming good at surfcasting is a variable. The main factor is finding the time. Give it a try you may or may not enjoy it.

porgy75
02-14-2014, 08:45 AM
Great advice guys. I like the part about still learning. Thanks for sharing.

jigfreak
02-15-2014, 08:15 AM
Fishing both at the same time is no way to learn how to fish artificials, need to concentrate and make a commitment to fishing artificails (if you enjoy it) it is much more rewarding, feeling that you accomplish something when you catch. What I found was that when I started catching more fish on plugs, rubber and teasers I never wanted to fish any type of bait again.

I love the rush of fooling a Striper to take a plug or Hogy. Especially in the dark, its even more fun.
With catching comes confidence, confidence brings more fish caught.

the whole key IMO to fishing plugs is being confident in the one that is on your line, most guys trying to do the switch get bored quickly and give up or keep switching lures constantly it is a lot of work no doubt. The thing I don't like about bait is you can't cover the ground a plugger can you are relying on a fish to pick up the scent in one spot finding it laying on the bottom and deciding should I eat this or swim by.Once you have a bass or blue blow up on a plug it is an immediate adrenaline rush.

definitely. You have to keep at it. No big deal if you fail or get skunked because you are pushing yourself to learn new territory. And keep a log too with lots of details. Has helped me a lot.

jigfreak
02-15-2014, 08:20 AM
I've been doing it for a while, and am still learning, that's part of the enjoyment for me.

It's not only casting to anywhere you feel, but looking for certain waters that may contain fish.
It's not only just sticking on any plug or rubber, but learning the bait of the water you fish at certain times of the year, and applying that knowledge to the particular artificial you choose. Shutouts will come, but that's part of trying to perfect this game, but really never totally achieving it. I enjoy seeking fish rather than use bait and wait for the fish to come to me.

Like he said you have to put your time in. You can't expect to get good at overnight. Learning where and when the fish will be at a spot takes years. Then when you put it all together it's the biggest adrenaline rush in the world. You can get so addicted when you have a good night out there tossing arti's. You will not be able to wait till the next time., and analyze in your head what you will do if the conditions change. When you start doing that and learning from your log you will know that you are really hooked. Good luck

surfstix1963
02-16-2014, 04:37 AM
I think the best way to switch over is to start with the basics bucktails,hopkins,kastmaster,poppers(reg.&pencil) a metal lip or two don't invest a ton of money until you know that plugging is your thing stick with white,black,yellow and chartreuse as far as color goes you can skip the black if you don't plan on doing the night or early morning thing.

baitstealer
02-18-2014, 11:45 AM
Thanks fellas great info! Will try to follow some of the advice this spring.

porgy75
02-20-2014, 02:44 PM
I wanted to ask you guys something about bucktails for the surf. If you were fishing ocean side and could only bring 2 different sizes with you which sizes would you bring? thanks in advance

surfstix1963
02-21-2014, 04:45 AM
Well that's kind of a loaded question it really depends on conditions.For most instances 1-1.5 oz. on dead calm days 3/4 oz. and in a heavy surf 2-3 oz. I like the Smilin bills(hot lips)(blue frog fixed hook) on the beach the Andrus rip splitter in the inlets and rocky areas.Sink rates vary depending on head shape and how much hair is used to tie the bucktail the more hair the slower the sink rate since deer hair is hollow it slows the rate of descent.If you really want a great book on bucktails they don't get much better then"Fishing the Bucktail" By John Skinner IMO it is the best book out there on the subject.

baitstealer
02-26-2014, 05:55 PM
Sink rates vary depending on head shape and how much hair is used to tie the bucktail the more hair the slower the sink rate since deer hair is hollow it slows the rate of descent.If you really want a great book on bucktails they don't get much better then"Fishing the Bucktail" By John Skinner IMO it is the best book out there on the subject.

Thanks for sharing that very informative. I will check out the john skinner book thank you dude.

baitstealer
03-02-2014, 08:56 AM
I wanted to ask a question if i could. The early season is cold and I have gotten stripers by buying worms but they are so expensive like one dollar apiece. Is there anyone here who would recommend digging tapeworms for bait are they better. If so how do you look for them do you just go digging in the sand or what. Not looking for spots just some tips on how to find them.
Also when it is cold like this in the water how do you know at what temperature you should start throwing lures at? thank you much

surfstix1963
03-06-2014, 11:52 AM
I always throw plugs try using rubber or Gulp on a bucktail with a very slow retrieve occasionally bouncing them off the bottom,the bass do that for worms and crabs using their snouts to stir up the bottom.

baitstealer
03-15-2014, 09:36 AM
Thank you surfstix

ledhead36
03-15-2014, 09:46 AM
I always throw plugs try using rubber or Gulp on a bucktail with a very slow retrieve occasionally bouncing them off the bottom,the bass do that for worms and crabs using their snouts to stir up the bottom.

Good point and when the water is cold the fish are almost like zombies. You have to drag it very slowly that's why I prefer bait in these cold water situations.

hookedonbass
03-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Some good things in here thanks for sharing.

J Barbosa
04-22-2014, 12:54 PM
Fished the Raritan in Monmouth County last night from 8pm-11pm. Had hits throughout the night, but was only able to hook up once. Fish was caught at 8:50pm and was a low - mid 20's fish. Caught on a clam with a fish finder rig and bait runner reel. Tried different sized hooks to see if that would increase the hook ups. They seemed to be picking the clam off the hook...

I strongly believe you have bunker bumping into your line; we have experienced it heavily this week.

The other day we barely had to snag any bunker they were so thick they would snag themselves swimming into our lines.
18178 :d

An easy solution is to switch to a true circle hook on a fish finder rig and then enable your bait runner feature. Look for a circle hook with an inline point often sold with the designation "tournament legal" on the package. Size 8/0 - 10/0 depending on brand.

A bunker bumping into your line will make your tip move erratically and pull a tiny amount of line. A bass (even small ones) will typically pull line from the reel at a steadier rate. Once this happens disable the bait runner feature and reel tight. Once the line is taught for a few seconds and the fish is hooked I give a little tug to solidify the hookup and ensure that the barb penetrated the fishes lip.

I typically fish this setup with a 4oz sinker and 12-16" of leader from the fish finder slide in the back bay. In the surf I use around 36" of line and disable the baitrunner feature unless the surf is calm and the baitrunner can then be used.

I have a high hookup ratio and the fish are almost always lip hooked.

I stay away from the Gamakatsu 8/0 circle hooks everyone uses. They are garbage and will cause you to loose big fish and gut hook fish.

The points dulls after the first fish, the point has a large offset so many times it gets caught in the fishes mouth/gut rather than the lip.

This is a problem on big fish as the mouth is rock hard and the offset point never gets a chance to fully penetrate. You will be reeling the fish in and suddenly feel the line slip. This is either because the hook point popped free or broke. If you are lucky it catches the fishes lip like it was suppose to do the first time but usually you just stand there cursing

cowherder
04-22-2014, 07:24 PM
Jbarbosa that was a great post thanks very much for sharing that info. dark just a suggestion but when you have a post like his it might be a good idea to put it somewhere else. Like a "best of" or something like that. This guy really seems to know his stuff and it's nice that hes so helpful instead of reporting "yeah I crushed them last night" which tells you nothing but the dudes need to beat his chest. Thank you to all the helpful guys on here.
I fished last night and it was frustrating. First I went to a well known spot and the police had the lot blocked off. They weren't letting anyone fish. When I asked them why they said someone lit a fire too close to the parking lot and the neighbors complained. Looks like we are going to lose another spot to the idiots!!!!!:2flip:
I went to another bay area and only had a half hour before I had to go home. One missed hit (yes I was holding my rod ledhead :HappyWave:) and that was it for me. The fishermen out there are getting worse and worse and I think it's time someone does something about it. We should post their pics!

buckethead
04-22-2014, 07:55 PM
Took another try in the ocean. Picked up another 7 bass tonight before dark. Outgoing tide moco, small plugs and rubber. All sub-legal but hitting aggressively. JB that is a very comprehensive post. it's good to have someone besides us old folks help out the new guys here.

great_white_hunter
04-22-2014, 09:09 PM
J Barbosa thanks for the tip. I thought I had heard that shops weren't able to sell bunker this year. I didn't even ask for it. I did have a weighted treble with me, but being night wasn't able to see and didn't know bunker were in so thick. I have a feeling you may be right about the bunker hitting the line....the tip would bounce similar to how it would bounce when fluke hit when drifting..... I was using the set up you posted. Going to try and give it another shot in the morning. On vacation this week so trying to put as much time in as possible while still completing the "honey do" list. Hope to run in to some of you.

finchaser
04-22-2014, 09:14 PM
what JB said:clapping:

J Barbosa
04-22-2014, 10:56 PM
I am glad to help when I can.

My choice of circle hooks is a 9/0 Owner SSW Circle hook (the one pictured above).

They aren't cheap at almost $1/each when buying in bulk but I have found my overall cost to be less than when I used the Gamikatsu circle hooks.

The reason being the point on the Owner will stay sharp much longer than the Gami and I don't have to replace my hook as often.

Anyway I rarely loose hooks so cost is the least of my concern when fishing. I spend $20 on gas each trip and hours of my life...why not spring an extra 50 cents for the right hook?

Another reason I like the Owner Circle is because there is a large gap between the bend and the hook point which is perfect for hooking bunker (especially the heads which I hook through the back behind the spine).

The owner circle has a much heavier wire than the Gami.

And the most important reason is I saw my hook up ratio greatly increase when I made the switch.

IMO it's not worth buying bunker in a store as it's rarely ever fresh. Snag your own and you can then guarantee it's fresh.

When you have fresh bunker it's very rigid and you only need to barely hook it behind the spine so that the point of the circle hook is always exposed. You can cast as hard as you want that spine in a fresh bunker will never pull out and a bass won't be able to strip your hook clean.

I'll take some pictures next time I go out.

I am a huge Gamikatsu fan just not when it comes to their horrible circle hooks.

Give the Owner circle hook a try and I'm sure you will be happy. :HappyWave:

baitstealer
04-28-2014, 06:18 AM
You really need to be dedicated to learning when using plugs,with the diversity of plugs out there these days and every plug has a different application and action in which you need to choose what you think is best for the situation the whole key IMO to fishing plugs is being confident in the one that is on your line, most guys trying to do the switch get bored quickly and give up or keep switching lures constantly it is a lot of work no doubt. The thing I don't like about bait is you can't cover the ground a plugger can you are relying on a fish to pick up the scent in one spot finding it laying on the bottom and deciding should I eat this or swim by.Once you have a bass or blue blow up on a plug it is an immediate adrenaline rush.If I were to fish bait it would be a live eel hands down.If you have the time this winter and can find open water go throw a few plugs know what they do and make them do it.

Baitstealer, I don?t think that you can put a time thing on how long it will take to get good at surfcasting. I've been doing it for a while, and am still learning, that's part of the enjoyment for me.

If you enjoy bait, sitting around, looking at your rod tip, waiting, changing your bait, waiting, then do it. There's no right or wrong way, it's up to you what make you happy. I have stated my preference to surfcast in many previous posts.

The time factor in becoming good at surfcasting is a variable. The main factor is finding the time. Give it a try you may or may not enjoy it.

Thanks guys for the great advice. Can anyone go into more detail about using bucktails and rubber? Is it a steady retrieve or do you do some different things when you are reeling in? Also do you reel at different speeds for stripers weakfish and blues?

J Barbosa
05-01-2014, 11:37 AM

cowherder
05-01-2014, 11:51 AM
I am glad to help when I can.

My choice of circle hooks is a 9/0 Owner SSW Circle hook (the one pictured above).
The reason being the point on the Owner will stay sharp much longer than the Gami and I don't have to replace my hook as often.

Another reason I like the Owner Circle is because there is a large gap between the bend and the hook point which is perfect for hooking bunker (especially the heads which I hook through the back behind the spine).

The owner circle has a much heavier wire than the Gami.

And the most important reason is I saw my hook up ratio greatly increase when I made the switch.

I'll take some pictures next time I go out.
Give the Owner circle hook a try and I'm sure you will be happy. :HappyWave:

They look pretty strong. Owner hooks? Do you prefer the offset or the inline ones? Thanks for posting.

DarkSkies
09-19-2014, 11:52 AM
Surfstix has laid some good info down here since this thread was started...
Surfcasting 201 - The Surfcasters' Bible....Artificial Only thread.... (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8511-Surfcasting-201-The-Surfcasters-Bible-Artificial-Only-thread)

How to: Reading the water (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5633-How-to-Reading-the-water&highlight=reading+the+water)

......and other members as well.....:thumbsup:
For the new guys out there....this is your chance to learn and ask questions. All for free....no seminar admission needed....:learn:
I see some have been raised well, and have learned to say "Thanks!"....that's really all that's necessary, and much appreciated by all who pitch in to help around here...often a sincere "thanks" is enough to motivate these unselfish fishermen to come back and post again.....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

So ask away....and they'll help you if they can.....:HappyWave:

storminsteve
09-20-2014, 12:52 PM
^^^^^ :thumbsup:what DS said. Thank you to all the fellas here. The tips and tricks have definitely helped me improve my game.