PDA

View Full Version : So how hard is it to catch a bass on a piece of meat?

jigfreak
02-17-2014, 08:16 PM
There was stuff in another thread about how hard it is to catch bass on meat, or that when they are eating meat you should use it. I said its so easy a caveman could do it. Don't want to start an internet fight but one of the dudes here got offended. Cmon it ain't rocket science. Throw meat in water. Hold rod. When fish hits wait a few secs and sec the hook. Bring fish in. Pound your chest. Take extensive pics especially if it is under 20" to make sure it dies when you set it back in the water. Tell everyone what a great fisherman you are lol because you caught one hundred 22 inch fish in march on clams or bunker chunks.
Repeat as needed.

its really not that hard to catch a bass or bluefish on a piece of meat. Lot harder to use artificials and jig them up. What say you? Are there situations where it is truly hard to sling meat or snot and catch fish? Is fishing bait harder than artificials? thanks guys

basshunter
02-17-2014, 08:30 PM
I think it depends on the time of year. For the month of march you have to use bait when the water is cold if you want to catch bass. Clams and worms at Graveling are almost a rite of passage for a lot of folks. The Delaware river it is very hard to catch bass on artificial lures and such. You definitely need worms or something near the bottom as the fish seem to have there noses on the bottom there. I am not sure about all rivers but it seems when they are the muddy kind bait is the preferred choice. I like to toss lures too but mostly when you know the fish are thick or on the ocean side.

finchaser
02-17-2014, 08:33 PM
not too

dogfish
02-18-2014, 11:37 AM
I must be in the minority here. If I knew poop on a stick would catch a fish I would use it. :)For the gents who don't use bait, do you classify eels as bait? Do you consider it any different if the eels are live or rigged?

storminsteve
02-18-2014, 11:58 AM
I think it depends on the time of year. For the month of march you have to use bait when the water is cold if you want to catch bass. Clams and worms. You definitely need worms or something near the bottom as the fish seem to have there noses on the bottom there. I am not sure about all rivers but it seems when they are the muddy kind bait is the preferred choice. .

I am thinking for March this year the bays and rivers will be so cold the stripers will be almost comatose. The only way to get action in 40 degree water will be with clams or worms. My .02

Monty
02-18-2014, 12:59 PM
I must be in the minority here. If I knew poop on a stick would catch a fish I would use it. :)For the gents who don't use bait, do you classify eels as bait? Do you consider it any different if the eels are live or rigged?

I don't use eels dead or alive (at least for the last 10 years I have not). I consider them bait (dead or alive).

finchaser
02-18-2014, 04:14 PM
IMO bait is anything alive or that was once alive. Excluding wood

J Barbosa
02-18-2014, 05:11 PM
Whatever flips your pancake jigfreak and puts a smile on your face at the end of the day. Why should it matter to you or me what someone else does if it doesn't affect us directly?

I fish
Inshore-Offshore Saltwater & Freshwater
Trolling & Casting & Jigging
Surf & Kayak & Boat
Spinning & Conventional & Fly
Artificials & Bait & Flies
and my favorite Crabbing with just a pair of polarized glasses and a small 2ft net!

Sorry Dogfish, **** is where I draw the line in the sand... :moon:

I fish to get a way from life for a little while; it lets me forget about everything else and all the bullcrap that's goes on.

Finchaser already mentioned wood comes from living things and just for good measure...

Plastisc are made from polyethylene
polyethylene is made from petroleum
petroleum is made from dead organic matter

So for those of you throwing soft plastics your just slinging bait that's millions of years old!!!

Bucktails = deer hair on a piece of lead

J Barbosa
02-18-2014, 05:12 PM
Rigged eels too me are considered bait...same for eel skins on wood plugs.

ledhead36
02-18-2014, 07:22 PM
I fish bait a lot because of the dirty water back in the bay. I agree it is easier to catch fish on bait but sometimes on the shoreline with cold water there is not a lot they will hit except for the bait. As has been said when it's real cold the fish are very slow moving and not that active. You have to put that piece right in front of there faces sometimes.

bassmansjc
02-19-2014, 12:54 PM
I don't use eels dead or alive (at least for the last 10 years I have not). I consider them bait (dead or alive).
Tag and release is the way to go. Very interesting to see where the fish traveled and how much it has grown. Tags can be obtained from the littoral society at sandy hook.

surferman
02-19-2014, 02:07 PM
Tag and release is the way to go. Very interesting to see where the fish traveled and how much it has grown. Tags can be obtained from the littoral society at sandy hook.

hey welcome aboard bassman. do you ever fish down in Cape May or the Delaware River?I was interested in learning more about tagging do you know if there are other groups out there that you can get tags from as well? Thanks

Monty
02-19-2014, 02:40 PM

I used to tag with the American Littoral Society, it was fun and interesting.

Here is the info:

http://www.littoralsociety.org/index.php/report-a-tagged-fish

cowherder
02-19-2014, 03:35 PM
If I knew poop on a stick would catch a fish I would use it. :)

Haha I bet you would!:kooky:

cowherder
02-19-2014, 03:37 PM

Very cool philosophy you have there . Welcome to stripers and anglers there are some crazies here but basically they are all good and helpful. Whats the furthest one of the bass you tagged has travelled?