PDA

View Full Version : Which is healthier for catch and release low mortality, bait fishing or fishing with artificials?

cowherder
02-19-2014, 03:41 PM
I saw that thread jigfreak started and thought I wanted to comment because I am a catch and release guy and the catch and release thread I started has hundreds of beautiful bass being released. With that being said what is your answer as to the lowest mortality-
catch and release with bait?
catch and release with artificials?
I know what my answer is just wanted to see what some of you other guys thought. thank you

Monty
02-19-2014, 05:48 PM
Artificials have better chance of survival.
When I used to fish bait there was some gut hooking, almost never get that now.

finchaser
02-19-2014, 08:46 PM
IMO artificials by far. Buck tails have single hooks as does rubber. I remove trebles from metal and crush all my barbs on plugs for faster and safer release.

Bait guys should use circle hooks to avoid gut hooking especially the Raritan bay clammers and wormers in spring that target small fish. Many people say they don't like circles cause they can't set the hook and it's too hard for them to get use to.

Blazin420
02-20-2014, 08:02 AM
^^^X2...ANd when i did bait fish all i used was circles..They arent THAT hard to get used to IMHO

bababooey
02-20-2014, 11:43 AM
No fillet and release option? You guys are no fun.:moon: :HappyWave:

williehookem
02-20-2014, 12:02 PM
^^ Dude you are the ultimate troll. Don't have anything better to do with your time? I think circle hooks are a great option for bait. You should hold or be near the rod, count to three when the fish takes it, and then reel quickly. A thing that takes getting used to is most guys reel too quickly and rip it out of the fishs mouth. Wait too long and its gut hooked. After a while you develop a sense of when its best to set the hook.

storminsteve
02-20-2014, 12:49 PM
Don't pay any attention to bababooey. Trolling is a sport for him.:HappyWave:
Just think about it if we filleted and released all of our catches there would be no fish left. Put my vote in for arti's.

finchaser
02-20-2014, 02:08 PM
Don't pay any attention to bababooey. Trolling is a sport for him.:HappyWave:
Just think about it if we filleted and released all of our catches there would be no fish left. Put my vote in for arti's.

At least when trolling becomes an Olympic sport we will know someone going for the gold

bababooey
02-21-2014, 10:43 AM
^^^^^^ Touche, Sir. (where is the smiley icon for taking a bow?):HappyWave: