PDA

View Full Version : NJ Fishing Reports for March 2014....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

finchaser
02-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Just got back tried the fly rod with clams as it was a little brisk for a fly. just a bunch of shorts:fishing::HappyWave: Even wore my Effum all hoodie to stay warm

storminsteve
02-13-2014, 09:13 AM
clambrella and the effumall club that brought back some memories. Anyone up for some surf fishing? Winds are 34mph on the beach now, gusts to 38mph.;)
http://www.surfchex.com/manasquan-web-cam.php

Just got back tried the fly rod with clams as it was a little brisk for a fly. just a bunch of shorts:fishing::HappyWave: Even wore my Effum all hoodie to stay warm

haha rofl! You guys are hardcore thanks for the intel! I'll get my clambrella gear and try for after the storm stops. finchaser was this in moco or occo? clams on a fly rod lol.:clapping:

bababooey
02-13-2014, 09:45 AM

Curious about the mechanics of the clam and fly rod combo. Did you use an inline egg sinker for distance against the wind or was the weight of the clam enough to get it out there with the 38mph winds?:HappyWave:

finchaser
02-13-2014, 10:19 AM
I use a littleneck clam on the 1/2 shell with hole drilled for hook to go through

storminsteve
03-01-2014, 01:32 PM
I use a littleneck clam on the 1/2 shell with hole drilled for hook to go through

Still using bait, what a piker!:laugh: :HappyWave:

I got my first NJ keeper bass last night after midnight. Artificial only, baby!
How I did it - I went to an unnamed inlet, and fished the incoming tide which I thought would be warmer. After the warm sun yesterday it was probably in the 40 degree range but I did not have a temp gage. I was using a bucktail with pork rind after midnight. It was dark and cold but I did feel life out there, did feel some things bumping my line. So I brought my rig back in and put a teaser on. It was a very small one about 18" above the bucktail. I kept doing that for another 15 minutes as the bumps on my line increasd. I was figuring they were bunker or herring but I could not see them. Finally I got a hit!!! (or maybe I snagged it I am not sure)
It felt and swam like a herring or small bunker. I pluyed it out because I thought it would be my only fish of the night. When it stopped fighting so much I reeled it in to see what it was. BAM!!!!!! All of a sudden the line got hit like it was snagged. I tried to free it and it took off! I thought it was on the teaser so I was careful fighting did not want to lose it.
I fought it for a few minutes and gradually gained line. I think the bucktail and pork was near the bottom because as it got close I got hit again! Presumably on the bucktail. Then it was on! It felt like I had a giant shark or bluefish on because my rod was bowed in half and it was heavy!
I was thinking it couldn't be a bluefish because it is too cold for them now. As I got it close to the inlet rocks I could see it was a keeper striper that ate my herring, and a fluke!!!!! Fluke are out of season now. I took a pic of both of them, kissed them and released for good luck! I was the only crazy out there fishing.

Hoping to see more action, I pulled out my trusty clambrella rig that I made following the helpful hints on this site. Instead of clams I used popcorn. I casted it out and let the incoming tide take it into the channel toward the middle of the inlet. I got a few more bumps or hits but no takers. There were birds coming around to eat the popcorn that was falling off the hooks. I was cold and tired so i called it a night.

I want to thank buckethead and finchaser for their perseverance and advice on fishing this cold weather. Without their old salty advice I would have never hooked up in the first place. Check out my pic and tell me what you think!:HappyWave:

baitstealer
03-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Wow thats awesome congrats on the fish! North or South jersey if I may ask?

hookset
03-01-2014, 01:50 PM
^^^^^^Total bs but entertaining none the less. You left enough clues in there for Hansel and Gretel to find their way out.

Monty
03-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Still using bait, what a piker!:laugh: :HappyWave:
Instead of clams I used popcorn. I casted it out and let the incoming tide take it into the channel toward the middle of the inlet. I got a few more bumps or hits but no hookups. There were birds coming around to eat the popcorn that was falling off the hooks. I was cold and tired so i called it a night.

I want to thank buckethead and finchaser for their perseverance and advice on fishing this cold weather. Without their old salty advice I would have never hooked up in the first place.
I'm confused, is popcorn an artificial or considered bait?

:ROFLMAO
You should be writer SS

cowherder
03-01-2014, 02:51 PM
^^^That was the post of the week, SS!:clapping:
monty not sure what class popcorn is if you go by the previous definition of jbarbosa.:HappyWave: According to him everything is related to the earth so I dunno maybe even the flies you guys tie could be consider as descending from organic matter.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?9377-So-how-hard-is-it-to-catch-a-bass-on-a-piece-of-meat
To me popcorn is a food and if it can be eaten it qualifies as bait. So if SS was using popcorn that would have to be bait, no?
fictionally speaking, lolol.

buckethead
03-01-2014, 03:17 PM
I want to thank buckethead and finchaser for their perseverance and advice on fishing this cold weather. Without their old salty advice I would have never hooked up in the first place. Check out my pic and tell me what you think!:HappyWave:

Who you calling old? Thanks for nothing.:d

plugcrazy
03-01-2014, 03:32 PM
First keeper striper and no weigh in or prize claiming in the tackle shop? What a waste ss you need to get your priorities straight it's not official unless you can thump your chest and win a prize for it lol.:rolleyes: I was bored today and looking for something to take that boredom away. Your report got me until I was 3/4 of the way through and you put the fluke in there. Without that you may have had a chance. Really enjoyed reading that good writing skills keep it up.

surferman
03-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Plug I do agree with what you are saying there is too much results oriented focus rather than the joy of fishing out there. The one thing I do want to say in support of the tackle shops is that in the beginning of the season almost no one is fishing. Especially with cold like it is now. So those shops have to get people out there other wise there will be no reports at all. And they do need money too so they have to get that marketing going and get folks in the money spending mood. Without the mom and pop tackle shops all we would have is walmarts cabelas and bass pro shops. And I do not think that would be a good thing. my .02

fishinmission78
03-02-2014, 08:37 AM
Fished yesterday in the back for 2 hours mid day. one small runt on clams. Should be better this time of year but the water is still cold and this spot should have been holding a lot more fish. Very creative report stormin steve keep em coming.

DarkSkies
03-02-2014, 09:07 AM
NJ Fishing Reports for March 2014.....www.StripersAndAnglers.com (http://www.StripersAndAnglers.com)
**Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.
Please note: NO SPOT BURNING. Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED.

** Since Sandy and the rebuilding/Beach replenishment, a substantial amount of Fishing Access has been lost. The ones who want to fish, are now crowded into less places, particularly the popular ones.
Please use common sense, when describing where you were fishing. :learn:

1. IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

2. For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
Out Front (Ocean) OR -- Out Back (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time

3. If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish there today?
If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

**If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free. :fishing:

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
GEI - Great Egg Inlet
TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
DB - Delaware Bay

Blazin420
03-02-2014, 09:12 AM
Haha great post Steve!! BS or not:rolleyes:Got my blood flowing:d..Now was that popcorn buttered? Or just plain with a lil salt?....

Also Fnm nice on the runt..I no its a runt but anything right now is encouraging! Im not even fired up enuff yet to give it a go after this long winter..Hope i can get amped up soon and get my **** together! It is nice to see some posts in the report thread again:thumbsup:

fishinmission78
03-02-2014, 03:35 PM
^^^^^Thanks blazin but where I was is like a fishbowl this time of year. Catching a few is pretty easy up to double digits. One is not really that impressive but this year the water temperatures are different. I'll give it another week and it should turn around.

hookedonbass
03-02-2014, 04:56 PM
nice going fishingmiss at least you got one. Steve I read your report and got a hard on. Been so long since I read an action packed report I guess I was gullible I fell for it too. Good one!

plugcrazy
03-02-2014, 05:03 PM
Enjoyed the reports fellas. storminsteve didn't mean to give you a hard time but you suck!:) damn that was a good story. keep em coming. I'll try to get out next week when it gets a little warmer.

J Barbosa
03-02-2014, 08:52 PM
I threw plugs into the water with hooks on them and they came back exactly the same way.

We gave it an honest try today...full skunking.

Blazin420
03-03-2014, 07:13 AM
At least ya gave it a shot! Hopefully soon! I may be out the end of this week just for some salt in my lungs!

jigfreak
03-03-2014, 09:28 AM
I threw plugs into the water with hooks on them and they came back exactly the same way.

Funny quote. Sucks when that happens. At least you tried, better luck next time.

jigfreak
03-03-2014, 09:29 AM
Things should pick up next week after the cold spell. We really need some sunny days to warm the mud up.

DarkSkies
03-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Brian and his son came over to NJ to fish the bay. He texted me these...pics and report courtesy of Brian of Team TCB :HappyWave:

"Gave it a whirl in then 38 degree water with some shoprite cherrystones. No hits but it was tshirt weather and i actually got some color on my face. Of course we had to trek down a path covered in a foot of snow to get down to the beach but it was so nice to be out. Hang in there just a few more weeks!!!!!!!"

Blazin420
03-04-2014, 08:55 AM
Way to get out there and give it a go!!! Nothing better then fishing with dad.. fish or no fish!!

jigfreak
03-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Hey good to see someone out there. Give em hell.:thumbsup:

seamonkey
03-05-2014, 07:36 AM
Wow that is awesome dark looks like they are having a good time even tho they didn't catch! Iam planning to fish the Big D but the water is still around 38, I drove there the other day and it was cold! Maybe wait till its 40 or better I think we may have some warmer weather next week. Thanks for the report keep em coming! Hopefuly I will have something to report soon.

basshunter
03-06-2014, 06:56 PM
storming steve loved that report it got me energized! did you know a few days after you posted yours one of the biggest fishing sites out there started posting fake march fishing reports? They never did that before. Seems like you are a trend starter lol.

plugcrazy
03-06-2014, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the reports fellas real and fake. Its so cold out that we may not see fish caught until april.

bababooey
03-07-2014, 08:27 AM
storming steve loved that report it got me energized! did you know a few days after you posted yours one of the biggest fishing sites out there started posting fake march fishing reports? They never did that before. Seems like you are a trend starter lol.

Why create when you can just imitate?:rolleyes: No worries stormin they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Loved that report good writing.

storminsteve
03-07-2014, 09:57 AM
Why create when you can just imitate?:rolleyes: No worries stormin they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Loved that report good writing.

Thanks its all good gents. I'm happy posting reports here. Folks from other sites can copy off of me if they want. I'm tired of reading those reports sites where there is every other bs comment but a fishing report. 10 pages of hijack non report related comments and no one wants to go out and at least try to catch a fish. :don't know why: I knew it was cold so I put up my fake report. Thought some might be mad at that. glad you were entertained. I may try this weekend even though it's cold. Dying to get out there and wet a line!

surferman
03-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Not my report but the first keeper stripers of the year were weighed in today at the absecon bay sportsmans center. prob nuclear fish. storminsteve loved that report it seemed real anyway you put a lot of life into your reports keep em coming!

J Barbosa
03-10-2014, 02:43 AM
Me and a friend fished together after the Asbury show...he had a hit that pulled his soft plastic down the shank and we saw two teen (") sized fish caught on bait...

I caught the bottom, some seaweed, and a bunch of windburn on my face.

Blazin420
03-10-2014, 07:37 AM
I also got out for the first trip of 14 after Asbury..had to go to T River for dinner w/granma so snuck out to a spot down there..Threw soft plastics and tested some stuff i picked up/tied over the winter..I had 1 solid wack on the soft plastic but didnt set the hook quick enuffhttp://www.stripersurf.com/images/smilies/no.gif still rusty from the winterhttp://www.stripersurf.com/images/smilies/hihi.gif ...Did see a few shorts picked up...Gonna be back out tm weather looks good! Hopefully have my 1st of 14 on the sand!..Felt GREAT to be out!

finchaser
03-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Thanks its all good gents. I'm happy posting reports here. Folks from other sites can copy off of me if they want. I'm tired of reading those reports sites where there is every other bs comment but a fishing report. 10 pages of hijack non report related comments and no one wants to go out and at least try to catch a fish. :don't know why: I knew it was cold so I put up my fake report. Thought some might be mad at that. glad you were entertained. I may try this weekend even though it's cold. Dying to get out there and wet a line!

That report wasn't real? :huh:

storminsteve
03-10-2014, 09:45 PM
:laugh:Oh come on now I know you're busting balls finchaser. I was probably trying to get DS back for the year he texted me and others that he was bailing 20 lb bass in his kayak the 3rd week of march when the winds were blowing like hell one afternoon. I believed him too until he texted me 1/2 hour later saying it was a joke.:2flip: Actually I had something even better planned to trump that this year but I'm keeping it quiet till april 1.

Blazin420
03-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Too nice not to hit the water!!! Well it paid off!!! 1st of 2014!! Followed by 8 more and some misses..Nice to be reunited with an old friend**...All on white Zoom paddle tail on a 1/2 oz jig...all lil guys but it felt great 18-22in...got pics not sure how to post them with my phone

storminsteve
03-11-2014, 08:24 PM
Awesome to hear blazin. I never made it out this weekend and it was so nice today I was hoping to myself that someone was catching! Great report thanks for the uplifting news.

jigfreak
03-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Blazin nice report. Some buds played hookey today and got a few dinks too. Got to get my lazy *** out there.

hookset
03-12-2014, 08:39 AM
Too nice not to hit the water!!! Well it paid off!!! 1st of 2014!! Followed by 8 more and some misses..Nice to be reunited with an old friend**...All on white Zoom paddle tail on a 1/2 oz jig...all lil guys but it felt great 18-22in...got pics not sure how to post them with my phone

Nice! Good to see the paddletails got it done. Better weather coming I think we are rounding the bend to spring.

buckethead
03-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Today was too nice of a morning not to fish. I fished out front not really expecting anything more of a first of the year trial run to get everything organized. I was not disappointed. Beautiful sunrise, clean ocean water. No fish, that will come soon enough. Great to get out there though.

seamonkey
03-12-2014, 09:07 AM
Nice reports gents! Getting me motivated I will probably give it a try this weekend.

cowherder
03-12-2014, 09:19 AM
WTG blazin and buckethead! Enjoying vicariously reading these at my office. It was beautiful yesterday thanks for the reports and congrats!

Blazin420
03-12-2014, 02:24 PM
Thanks fellas!! It felt good to be out nad even BETTER to get a bend in the rod!! Hopefully this cold air leaves as fast as it comes!!

ledhead36
03-12-2014, 06:21 PM
Nice work guys. I fished the back of raritan bay last night with w4 and 20 other of my closest friends.:kooky:
Not a heck of a lot going on but if you talk to the tackle shops the bass are being caught all over. Well Ill tell you after last night hope there is no more bs out there because none of us along the picket line caught a thing. I had one light bump but this time of year it could be the winter flounder moving in the mud.
Today is different with the rain. We usually do well in a storm like this. The problem is it will drop too much and the fish will turn off. I say it's only a matter of days before they begin to chew. Keep the faith guys, it will be happening soon.

wish4fish
03-13-2014, 11:39 AM
led and i hit it again from 7-9 it was to nice not to. we sat in the rain and after awhile there was no bites so we packed up and will b out there another nite. its going to go off soon dudes you got to be in the game to win it. this new cold winds is bad i wish it wud go away

porgy75
03-13-2014, 11:43 AM
Wanted to ask you guys in the know and who fish a lot. US tackle reports some keepers weighed in there. Are guys catching fish in raritan bay even though it's that cold? And do you think they are using worms or clams. thanks

wish4fish
03-13-2014, 12:00 PM
dude they might of weighed them there but its all about the wwd nucular power plant. we have been out twice already and no ones hooking up in the bay. got sum bumps its ready to happen not rite now tho. a few more days and everyone shud be catching. and we use clams and do fine with the bass.

J Barbosa
03-13-2014, 01:12 PM

Nice job, but you know they don't count right! :kiss:

Nice work guys. I fished the back of raritan bay last night with w4 and 20 other of my closest friends.:kooky:
Not a heck of a lot going on but if you talk to the tackle shops the bass are being caught all over. Well Ill tell you after last night hope there is no more bs out there because none of us along the picket line caught a thing. I had one light bump but this time of year it could be the winter flounder moving in the mud.
Today is different with the rain. We usually do well in a storm like this. The problem is it will drop too much and the fish will turn off. I say it's only a matter of days before they begin to chew. Keep the faith guys, it will be happening soon.

Could be winter flounder like you said...there is also scattered bunker on the flats in March and a bunker swimming into your braided line can really mess with your mind on slow nights.

I know how you feel ledhead as we fish the same areas in the spring. The last few years have been crowded and last year really pushed it over the edge for me. The guys I keep in touch with who are already out there fishing tell me that so far what they are seeing is very few fish and most in the 12-16" range...the crowds are already bad and the fishing sucks! With the jetties disappearing more guys are going to move back into our normal haunts and stay there longer than normal. :burn:

The once good mid March to early April clam bite never developed the past two years. We use to buy clams by the bushel and on good nights we would run out...not big fish but definitely fun when we were there mostly alone. Blame it on the warmer winter followed by a cold March last year? I don't think so...I see very few of these clam fish get released including many of the shorts being kept.

If you see two kayaks out there at night send me a pm asking how we did; that's probably the only way I am going to enjoy fishing the flats this year.

Wanted to ask you guys in the know and who fish a lot. US tackle reports some keepers weighed in there. Are guys catching fish in raritan bay even though it's that cold? And do you think they are using worms or clams. thanks

Joe is a good guy but like many tackle shop owners he is guilty of trying to draw business into his backyard. When the keepers start getting weighed in he is usually the first to post the pics online.

Blazin420
03-13-2014, 02:35 PM
Hahaha touche John!!:D:D But i couldnt help myself i needed a quick fix of catching!!! And as far as im concerned my feet were on land and the only fish in my book that dont count are boat fish:d...Hopefully see ya out there soon while were bailin them:HappyWave:

cowherder
03-13-2014, 02:49 PM
. The last few years have been crowded and last year really pushed it over the edge for me. The guys I keep in touch with who are already out there fishing tell me that so far what they are seeing is very few fish and most in the 12-16" range...the crowds are already bad and the fishing sucks! With the jetties disappearing more guys are going to move back into our normal haunts and stay there longer than normal. :burn:

I don't think so...I see very few of these clam fish get released including many of the shorts being kept.

Well-said.I'll never understand why guys are so hard on these early season fish. They're babies for petes sake!:beatin:
Get them in, take a quick pic, and put them back so they can make more. As for keeping the small fish I don't undedrstand that either they are so small how much meat can you get from a 16" striper?

J Barbosa
03-13-2014, 05:02 PM
Hahaha touche John!!:D:D But i couldnt help myself i needed a quick fix of catching!!! And as far as im concerned my feet were on land and the only fish in my book that dont count are boat fish:d...Hopefully see ya out there soon while were bailin them:HappyWave:

Lol,

Truly nothing wrong with it in my book. If it wasn't such a far drive for me I would fish it during the colder months.

We need to setup a kayak trip early next month!!!

fishinmission78
03-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Lol,

Truly nothing wrong with it in my book. If it wasn't such a far drive for me I would fish it during the colder months.

You must live up north. Its not always that great. The best years I have had were when it was way cold everywhere else and the water temperatures there were stable. That wasn't true for me this year. Went out a few times in winter and nada. Had to try it today tho. Fished an hour before work, one small dink on white rubber.

storminsteve
03-14-2014, 01:24 PM
fnm nice! One is better than none.

baitstealer
03-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Well this morning looked like the weather would be nice so I took some clams and fished raritan bay for a few hours. Fished 6-8. I had one bump and missed one hit because I had to take a leak when it hit. So I missed it. Nice morning a little cloudy. Will try to go back out again when its a little warmer. Good luck out there guys!

ledhead36
03-15-2014, 09:49 AM
That's Murphys law of striped bass. The further away you are from the rod, the better chance you will get a hit and miss the fish.
Taking a leak almost guarantees a bass will come your way. It's uncanny. I can hold the rod for hours with no hits. Then I walk away to take a leak and lo and behold the bay is alive with fish until I get back.

jigfreak
03-15-2014, 09:58 AM
Gotta be in it to win it baitstealer. At least it was something. Weve come around the bend out of this nasty cold freeze. The next days ahead should be good. Good luck gents. Bundle up out there we have some windy nights as well.

hookedonbass
03-15-2014, 10:40 AM
Gotta be in it to win it baitstealer.
x2 thanks for the reports keep em coming. The striped ones will be all over soon.

fishinmission78
03-15-2014, 11:05 AM
Better morning today. Picked up 7 little guys back bay. Rubber and 1/2 oz lead.

Blazin420
03-15-2014, 02:17 PM
Nice fishinmission!! Not a bad day at all!! I hope to get out tm sometime probably early morn..

Always when ya go to take leak baitstealer! Those damn fish no !! LOL

plugcrazy
03-15-2014, 06:03 PM
Gave it the old college try, back bay atlantic county this afternoon. Windy as heck! Tossed rubber and small bombers no takers.

ledhead36
03-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Dug some tapeworms during low tide today. It was nice and sunny but the west wind was a little too breezy. Good thing it was at our backs. Tossed them out to see what was on the rb mud flats. Ended up with 5 bass between the 2 of us all small and still swimming. It's going to get cold tonight and the bay temps will drop like a stone. It seems like we can't catch a break to get this spring striper fishery going.

seamonkey
03-15-2014, 06:38 PM
Hey thats very creative for you to go out and dig tapeworms. That mud must have been cold lol! Great catch you deserved them and thanks for the tip.

storminsteve
03-15-2014, 07:04 PM
tapeworms the secret weapon. Nice!

ledhead36
03-16-2014, 09:03 AM
Thanks guys and yes it was cold. Neoprene waders are a must for this time of year.

Blazin420
03-16-2014, 05:35 PM
Nice job ledhead..Ive heard those tapes work great may have to try them soon..

Got out this am before the snowhttp://www.stripersurf.com/images/smilies/no.gif (hopefully they are wrong)http://www.stripersurf.com/images/smilies/burn.gif ..Slower than Tuesday but still has some action managed 3 little guys 18-20in dropped 2 and swung and missed a few..Action was spotty Zoom paddle tail and Zoom fluke Jr both in white on 1/2oz jig got all the attention guys throwing worms did a little better..About 2pm the wind picked up and it got COLD decided to pack it in..Lets pray that this storm is a bust and the temps get that mud warmed up in the next week or so

buckethead
03-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Good to see the fellas out and trying. I looked at my logs and around March 18 is usually when I have had success in the back bay. When the winter was extremly cold there are years when it has taken me until April 1.

J Barbosa
03-17-2014, 08:16 PM
Nice guys, I'm going to try later this week somewhere I can eat the fish from and live :d

I am craving some striper cakes.

J Barbosa
03-18-2014, 10:21 PM
A friend that I fished with this afternoon posted this report on another site...too funny not to repost here:

"hit a honey hole with striperjohn. we got our first bass of 2014! :naughty:"

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3730/13256672034_871d9cd73c_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/94721242@N02/13256672034/)

buckethead
03-19-2014, 08:10 AM
I have heard bass referred to as saltwater carp so that fits. Funny report good job jb.

cowherder
03-19-2014, 08:26 AM
Great report jbarbosa! lol love the photoshop at the rate the water is warming up they might be the only stripes we will see for awhile. I was so happy to read ledheads report of bass in the raritan it has been looking pretty dismal ever since.

hookset
03-19-2014, 12:39 PM
jb awesome report. Exactly the humor I needed to see today. keep at it she's a fatty.;)

jigfreak
03-20-2014, 01:16 PM
Gave it a try this morniing out back. Only had a hour. Jigged some rubber, nothing for me. funny report jb.

buckethead
03-20-2014, 01:21 PM
John I forgot to add to my original response. Carpe diem.:thumbsup:

seamonkey
03-20-2014, 02:31 PM
I have been out two afternoons in the delaware this week. Bloodworms, no takers.

robmedina
03-20-2014, 03:41 PM
John,
Where the heck you finding all these carp, eh hem, I mean Stripers? I want to get my first carp on the fly soon!

wish4fish
03-20-2014, 07:25 PM
haha thats a purty striper there dude lol! me and ledhead were out fishin the bay today it wuz starting to get low and we were fishing the outgoing we only fished 1 1/2 hrs so i dont know if we wud of caught if we stayed longer but we couldnt. try again this weekend

fishinmission78
03-21-2014, 08:09 AM
Hit the back for sunrise before work today. It was the wrong tide, we fish when we can. Zippo.

Blazin420
03-21-2014, 01:34 PM
Hit the back for sunrise before work today. It was the wrong tide, we fish when we can. Zippo.

I hear that bud..Fish when ya can!!! What tides been workin for you lately. I tend to do better on the outgoing. .hope to be out on Sat night or Sunday early am..

fishinmission78
03-22-2014, 12:19 PM
blazin we must be fishing the same area because there is not a lot going on elsewhere for artificials. I agree the outgoing has been best for me. When it is real cold the 2nd and 3rd of outgoing seems to work. If not the bite can start as soon as the water starts moving. The fish are there they just suspend in the water column when its too cold and dont eat. The clam and worm guys are doing better. I like to clam mostly at island beach but may bring some clams to this spot next time. Picked up 5 runts today on 1/2 oz jig and rubber. I have been doing ok with small white- shape is not that important. Pink fin-s works as well. Avoid the crowds by walking away from them. When you get to know the holes and points you can do as well off the beaten path. Good luck.

Blazin420
03-22-2014, 01:50 PM
I think your right fishinmission thanks for the report!..Same here that part of the tide has been good for me..And white seems like the best option been doin well with it..My wifes grandma lives close by so when we go there for Sunday dinner i get to sneak away for some fishin :D...Ill be there in the AM tomorrow..I have a hole or 2 i found away from the crowds ;)

seamonkey
03-23-2014, 08:58 AM
fished yesterday with bloods in the Delaware. Nice day and warm Nothing honey!:skunk:

J Barbosa
03-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Fished on Saturday with clams/worms in the bay...nothing for nobody

robmedina
03-24-2014, 10:30 AM
fished on Saturday. knocked em dead with the trout. using a #6 wooly bugger. Stripping fast up stream- the trout were hammering it. Caught 12 before the game warden came over and told me that right now is a closed season for stocking....and here I thought I was a trout whisperer, no just an idiot! He let me go with a warning since I was releasing the fish and had my Son there. Googan action at it's best!

ledhead36
03-24-2014, 01:11 PM
rob that shows that children are not always a liability or tax burden. Some times they can be an asset!
fished yesterday got skunked thats my report. Should break open soon after this storm on tues. At this rate the blues will be here by the time the bass action heats up.

storminsteve
03-24-2014, 02:44 PM
I agree this has to be the week it breaks out I am climbing the walls it's time to catch some fish!

surfstix1963
03-25-2014, 08:59 AM
Good Luck but I'm thinking another 2 weeks for NJ and at least 4 in NY for blues and stripers hate to be negative but the water is pretty cold

Blazin420
03-25-2014, 09:22 AM
Im with ya surfstix...I feel there will be no "steady" action till 3rd week in April...Some fish might start to chew a little if we get a bit of a warm up next week but i dont think it will be a steady bite...I didnt have my 1st good night last spring till April 7th...Then got some big boys when the bunker showed around the 24th of April...Its been a cold long winter but im not worried the fish will show up like they always do!

ledhead36
03-25-2014, 09:51 AM
What y'all need to realize about the raritan is the fish are already there. Most of the fish winter in the Kill and the deep channels of the ports. I agree the water is still cold. One of the coldest winters in a long time. With us the fish don't have to migrate they are suspended in the water. Have only had a small spurt of action so far but that will change. A few nice days on the mud flats and rods will be bent. After this weather passes I will be out in the bay more. Sun plus mud plus worms coming out of the mud equals hungry fish.

cowherder
03-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Hey you got to be in it to win it right? This storm forcast sucks I am sick of this nasty weather. Hope some of us have some luck soon.

robmedina
03-25-2014, 05:41 PM
I agree too about another 2 weeks for stripers, but I am not waiting for stripers. There other species to fish for until the striped ones show. I will be out there hooking up!

surferman
03-25-2014, 05:44 PM
Are you fishing for white perch rob?

Monty
03-26-2014, 12:38 PM

I'm thinking he may be giving this place a shot next, after his last successful trip :HappyWave:

fished on Saturday. knocked em dead with the trout. Caught 12 before the game warden came over and told me that right now is a closed season for stocking....

J Barbosa
03-26-2014, 02:34 PM
Rob, awesome job with the trout and getting your kid out there!

There are places in NJ you can fish for trout during the stocking period.

From the njfishandwildlife website:
"During the three weeks prior to opening day, all ponds, lakes or sections of streams are stocked with trout, except Trophy Trout Lakes. These waters are closed to fishing for all species from March 17 to April 5 at 8a.m.

Exceptions:

Lake Hopatcong, Mountain Lake, Lake Shenandoah, Lawrence Brook (section from Davidson's Mill Rd. to Farrington Lake dam), Prospertown Lake and Swartswood Lake are open year round to fishing.

However, all trout caught during this period (above) must be released immediately. Seasonal and Year-round Trout Conservation areas and designated Holdover Trout Lakes are also open to fishing but are catch-and-release only for trout.

NJ Trout Hotline at (609) 633-6765

J Barbosa
03-26-2014, 02:36 PM

You know its tough out there when guys start asking how to catch white perch on other websites.

surferman
03-26-2014, 04:49 PM
Ha! lol. well I am usually fishing for stripers in the delaware by this time but they have not shown up. I think they took the detour to busch gardens to rest a bit before they come north!

robmedina
03-26-2014, 05:26 PM
Surfman- do you fish for shad in the Delaware? I am going to be going after them soon. I also want to catch up with John B and get some carp on the fly.

Monty- thanks for the spot burn. Guess I wont be going back there anytime soon :HappyWave:

robmedina
03-26-2014, 05:28 PM
Rob, awesome job with the trout and getting your kid out there!

There are places in NJ you can fish for trout during the stocking period.

From the njfishandwildlife website:
"During the three weeks prior to opening day, all ponds, lakes or sections of streams are stocked with trout, except Trophy Trout Lakes. These waters are closed to fishing for all species from March 17 to April 5 at 8a.m.

Exceptions:

Lake Hopatcong, Mountain Lake, Lake Shenandoah, Lawrence Brook (section from Davidson's Mill Rd. to Farrington Lake dam), Prospertown Lake and Swartswood Lake are open year round to fishing.

However, all trout caught during this period (above) must be released immediately. Seasonal and Year-round Trout Conservation areas and designated Holdover Trout Lakes are also open to fishing but are catch-and-release only for trout.

NJ Trout Hotline at (609) 633-6765

YEah the Warden was telling me. I think I may hit Ken Lockwood Gorge and see if my ninja trout powers work there LOL!

ledhead36
03-28-2014, 11:30 AM
You are one lucky guy rob. You must have the gift of gab to be let off like that.
I was out and about yesterday. Temp in the back of the bay was 40. Its cold, the stripers dont care its all about those temps. fri, sat, sun air temps will be 45-60. By monday or tues we should be into some nice fish.

surferman
03-28-2014, 11:46 AM
Hey Rob yes I do fish for shad and stripers in the delaware. I have been out a few times but no takers. They are reporting water temperatures of 40. I didn't have a way to measure that tho I agree it's very cold. I have caught when it's around 50. With all the ice and runoff I thnk that may not be till the 2md week of april. By that time stripers should be in heavy too. They are catching hickory shad around the mouth of delaware and the river in virginia. Let's hope for some warm weather I am so sick of the cold. Rain today not too bad but the cold is for the birds! ledhead thanks for all your temperature reports and positive predictions. Read your reports all the time and you have a lot of knowledge thanks for sharing and good luck to you.

robmedina
03-29-2014, 08:36 AM
Hey Rob yes I do fish for shad and stripers in the delaware. I have been out a few times but no takers. They are reporting water temperatures of 40. I didn't have a way to measure that tho I agree it's very cold. I have caught when it's around 50. With all the ice and runoff I thnk that may not be till the 2md week of april. By that time stripers should be in heavy too.

We should get together some time. DO you wade fish for the shad?

robmedina
03-29-2014, 08:37 AM
You are one lucky guy rob. You must have the gift of gab to be let off like that. Nah leadhead, I am just that pathetic that the warden couldn't help himself to be nice to me :)

seamonkey
03-30-2014, 04:26 PM
^^^^Wish I could use that charm when getting a traffic ticket! Fished the Big D today with bloodworms. The rain stopped and I wanted to see what it was like. Nothing going on for me. The water was high and cold. Back again next weekend. It's gotta happen soon!

robmedina
03-30-2014, 06:14 PM
4 stripers today down the shore - out back. On clams. they did not touch the bloodworms.

Monty
03-30-2014, 07:11 PM
4 stripers today down the shore - out back. On clams. they did not touch the bloodworms.

Nice, congrats on the catching.

robmedina
03-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Nice, congrats on the catching.they were on the pole you gave me- it has good mojo!

jigfreak
03-31-2014, 09:31 AM
Fished occo back bay before work today. Cold and windy skunk for me. Did see some runts get hauled in on clams. congrats rob.

wish4fish
03-31-2014, 11:31 AM
good deal to those who r catching! led an i were out last nite it was ok not too bad no bass hits tho. we got sum monster eels. soon boys soon!