PDA

View Full Version : Asbury show Whose going

finchaser
03-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Anyone going to Asbury show this Sunday???????

Blazin420
03-06-2014, 08:54 AM
Ill be swinging by have to make my way to Toms River for dinner with grandma..So I told the wife we have to make a pit stop first lol...then ill hopefully sneak out after we eat to wet a line some where down there;)

DarkSkies
03-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Nothing to see at Asbury.....just Finchaser and a bunch of old farts.......not worth it, IMO......;)

cowherder
03-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Come on ds now I know you're trolling!!!!!!!! The first year I went I didn't know anybody and you introduced me to Joe Pallotto, Billy Mcfadden, Ron Muccie and and a couple other old timers in the room. It was a fantastic experience. The plugs there are great too. How could you say it's not worth it, the old salts I got to meet were worth the price of admission alone!

jigfreak
03-06-2014, 05:46 PM
^^^^^ hes got to be joking, maybe back on the happy juice again.:HappyWave: Berkeley and the others are great but nothing has the history that asbury does. And the ol salties like finchaser. You going finchaser?

hookedonbass
03-06-2014, 05:57 PM
I agree one of the best shows in NJ. Will be there when it opens with drool coming out of my mouth.

seamonkey
03-06-2014, 06:32 PM
I live in south jersey. Its about a 100 miles from me so I was on the fence. Really worth it?

plugcrazy
03-06-2014, 07:16 PM
^^^^^^^ Sure is. THE show to go to if you want custom plugs. I'm in.

finchaser
03-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Yes I will be there all day in the Reel Seat booth stop by and say hi

DarkSkies
03-07-2014, 08:08 AM
Yup, cowherder, I was busting balls........and you're welcome for the intros. :HappyWave:

Someone I know was telling me the other night he was going to skip Asbury, as he has enough plugs, and is sick of the extended hype about the plugs and the prices some are getting. I understand his point, but my answer to him was that Asbury is so much more than that. To me, it's a finger on the pulse of the surf fishing community. I say this....not to take away anything from any of the other shows.....they are all great.....:thumbsup:...but every year the Asbury show continues to have the same attraction for me, as a kid coming down to open the presents on Christmas......:drool:

It's a place where I run into some folks I haven't seen in a long time....many from out of state...people come from as far as Rhody and Delaware to attend this show.......all of the old salts are there....as previously mentioned.....they come, like me, to visit old friends, and see who's still alive, and who's not......

Yes it's also about the plugs, and the gear........to me that's secondary.....it's the people that draw me back, every year.....
There's something about being inside the great Convention Hall of Asbury...where I have seen many a concert over the decades....those well-worn floors, a gritty, home-town atmosphere......something about that, and the location right at the surf line.......walks on the jetties and the water imagining the fish you might run into this season....and the big ones you hope to battle, and sometimes lose.....or not.......

All that is conjured up in my mind when I walk the well worn boardwalk, and smell the salt air, take a walk on the jetties (rapidly disappearing jetties) :D...smell the salt air.....get some wave spray in my face.....and remind myself of the great times and fishing that were to be had in Asbury Park......Joe Pallotto and the 8th ave Jetty project that he pushed to get done...
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?6181-Asbury-Park-8th-ave-jetty-The-power-of-one-How-one-guy-made-a-difference

...the sum total of all experiences I have had surf fishing in NJ.....and the hopes and dreams for the future ahead....the new beginnings.....

For me...that all comes to mind.......when I'm at that show.....and walking the stone floors, the boards....the rocks......and seeing who I recognize.....as I have said.....some of the best of the best in the fishing world..........come to this show every year......

Finchaser and his crusty old friends......:laugh: :HappyWave:
Many of the Veteran Club members, some active, some retired, but all still fishing, or willing to talk about fishing, and the old times.....
Guys from the old Stevens Surfsters, the Old Giglios......and some fishing clubs whose names aren't even recognized any more.....

Guys who grew up throwing tin squids and bucktails from conventional reels, know what using dacron line is like......and caught plenty of fish using these basic methods, long before any of the fancy plugs and gear we have today.....

**So, in sum, every time I go to this show....it's my way, in my mind, of re-connecting with the Saltwater Spirits of the past........the old timers, the fish...my mispent youth seeing some of the best groups of our time in those halls....the show, to me, is secondary to the people and experiences I have had there.......Also an inspiring thing to see the Dads bringing their sons, and families, and the connection of that generation, to this love of fishing, we all share.....Good times....Hope this helps folks understand a little better. :) :fishing:

surferman
03-07-2014, 08:41 AM
Wow you described it in such colorful terms I'm going to sleep outside! J/K dark I was going anyway, but nice read.:HappyWave:
finchaser where is the reel seat table going to be situated?

hookedonbass
03-07-2014, 08:43 AM
ill be there

dogfish
03-07-2014, 08:51 AM
You forgot RISSA. I would put Asbury and RISSA as the top 2 shows on the East Coast. Lost my job last year, just got a new one and starting to get back on my feet. Maybe next year. Good tidings and health to all.

storminsteve
03-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Good luck on your new job dogfish. I am planning on being at asbury early as I hear it will be a madhouse.

baitstealer
03-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Wow you described it in such colorful terms I'm going to sleep outside! J/K dark I was going anyway, but nice read.:HappyWave:
finchaser where is the reel seat table going to be situated?

I think guys really do wait outside in the dark. Or so I have read on here. I will be attending too can't wait!

finchaser
03-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Surfman we are in the Main room as soon as you enter to the left

Show may be in the hall way no the arena something about the sprinkler system then your guess is as good as mine

plugcrazy
03-08-2016, 09:37 AM
I'll be there.

lostatsea
03-09-2016, 02:35 PM
Me too

hookset
03-13-2016, 08:30 AM
Here now the weather cooperated and it's a great morning. Come on down.

hookedonbass
03-14-2016, 08:45 AM
Great show. Picked up some terminal tackle and a few plugs. One rant I have is the parking police. Seemed they gave out a lot of tickets. That wasn't cool, the show brings a lot of money into that area every year.