PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Plunge to Save Striped Bass

Fishing247
03-13-2014, 01:08 AM
From NJ, but Fishing up in the Providence River RI because of College I've been catching holdover stripers all winter. Caught 3 schoolies on Lunker City FinSfish and then way upriver noticed a snagged striped bass that was wrapped around a buoy and was stuck yesterday. I went back today determined to save that striped bass that so many of us love today and was successful nothing but a bathing suit and a shirt jumped into 32 degree water (at the expense of loosing my balls for a couple hours, haha) but well worth it.

click the link below to view my YouTube channel (Fish Aholic) and subscribe for more great videos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaBsMdbGefyzugrFd69jvIA
Enjoy the Video shortclip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQZWcbgdT1s

Thanks Guys

Monty
03-13-2014, 06:12 AM
Welcome aboard, heck of a release, will check out your other videos.
Not many others would go into that water like that, nice job!!

surfwalker
03-13-2014, 06:32 AM
Nice going, very impressive, thanks for your concern about the Striper . Welcome to the site.

surfstix1963
03-13-2014, 07:07 AM
Welcome and great job

DarkSkies
03-13-2014, 07:46 AM
Not many others would go into that water like that, nice job!!

I didn't realize how certifiably nuts you were until I saw this video. :scared: :kooky:;)
I mean that in a good way....:thumbsup:
It's very rare that someone comes along with that kind of passion for fishing, and striped bass.
I was just talking about fishermen apathy and selfishness the other day.

I could see the tide was still moving, but you had sense enough to plan that mission around slack tide. Good thinking.

Outstanding job. :clapping::clapping: Thanks for sharing that with the folks here....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

baitstealer
03-13-2014, 08:41 AM
Wow you are CRAZY to be jumping in water that cold your balls could of fallen off! Nice work on saveing that striper!

Fishing247
03-13-2014, 10:14 AM
That's What I was afraid of:scared: haha, Im up here at college so I did not have my boots or yak or anything.

surferman
03-13-2014, 11:33 AM
Ready to do anything to save a striped bass. That was sick kudos to you guy!

porgy75
03-13-2014, 11:41 AM
:clapping:Great "catch" KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

bababooey
03-13-2014, 12:15 PM
I'm sorry but if no one else has said it I will. You jumped into 32 degree water with only a bathing suit to save a rat striped bass? What about the fact you put your life in jeopardy. Did you have a rescue plan if anything happened. You could have drowned in that cold water. A little sketchy to save one striper don't you think?

jigfreak
03-13-2014, 12:25 PM
What about the fact you put your life in jeopardy. Did you have a rescue plan if anything happened. You could have drowned in that cold water.

Give him a break. watch the whole video? Notice the rope on the side? Maybe not the best plan but at least he was thinking. How about giving him a break for going out of his way to do something good. nice job kid:clapping:

Fishing247
03-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Well I was in water up to my waste. I have swam in water that cold before over a dozen times. Also knowing how to slow my heart rate is a big factor. As well as tested the bottom before I jumped in to know I would not get stuck and planning it on slack dead tide. Also with little to no current I know I would survive. If it was 20 degrees out, snowing, and fast current I probably would not have jumped in. I planned and prepared before I did it. Just Like Bear Grill's trained and prepares before he jumps into a frozen water on a lake.

buckethead
03-13-2014, 12:48 PM
Good job fishing 247. Ignore the trolls.

storminsteve
03-13-2014, 06:09 PM
Fantastic video dude thanks for sharing. You catch bass all winter?

vpass
03-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Wow, I'm impressed. I know I would have never junmped in. My balls are very important to me. :ROFLMAO. Hopefully that bass gets to grow old because of you. Thanks for sharing, and stay safe.

baitstealer
03-15-2014, 09:38 AM
That's What I was afraid of:scared: haha, Im up here at college so I did not have my boots or yak or anything.

Pretty cool that you can catch stripers all year up there. No closed season? I watched that video again and it looked cold!!!!!!!