PDA

View Full Version : Murphys Laws of striped bass and fishing

ledhead36
03-15-2014, 09:54 AM
I posted about it and remembed all the times I have missed a fish or messed up. Thought it might be cool to put it all down in a set of murphys laws. 2 off the top of my head - Murphys law of striped bass:

Distance to rod- The further away you are from the rod - the better chance you will get a hit and miss the fish.

Taking a leak- almost guarantees a bass will come your way. It's uncanny. I can hold the rod for hours with no hits. Then I walk away to take a leak and the bay is alive with fish until I get back.

Whats yours?

jigfreak
03-15-2014, 09:59 AM
When I go down to fish a favorite spot or rock, someone else will be there first.

Monty
03-15-2014, 10:04 AM
Does getting a solid hit and missing it because the hook protectors are still on the plug count? Or is that just a stupid goog move?

basshunter
03-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Hey I have done that as well. especially with those tsunami shads the hook protectors are sometimes off-white and when the bite is hot I have ripped open the package in a hurry and wondered why I miss so many hits! Duh!
How about when you try to time your cast to the motion of the waves and you think you have it down pat. Then a rogue wave comes along and you are soaked!

Monty
03-15-2014, 10:13 AM
How about getting a hit on a plug your friend made for you and he missed running the through wire through the hook......and you loose that hook and miss the fish......that's a Murphy move, there were 2 other hooks on that plug...

storminsteve
03-15-2014, 10:29 AM
You missed a fish because you screwed up on the through wire? That sounds more like googan than murphys territory lol.:don't know why:
I think according to what ledhead said it should be things that happened to us more than once. So it might not qualify unless it is something you do all the time:HappyWave:

storminsteve
03-15-2014, 10:32 AM
I got one that might apply to you guys fishing the back bays. In certain areas there are lots of geese getting ready to mate. There is a lot of goose crap. I try to cross a certain field, carefully sidestepping the goose crap, and when I'm at the final edges of the field I get distracted for a second and step in a big pile of it. This has happened to me more than once so I think it should be added to the murphys laws here. I hate those damn geese there are too many of them.:2flip:

surferman
03-15-2014, 10:44 AM
I have one that happens to me regularly. When there is a blitz and there are mostly stripers and a few bluefish I am the one who usually catches the bluefish. Its like a curse!

fishinmission78
03-15-2014, 11:07 AM
^^^^ If that happens regularly and everyone else is nailing bass you may want to switch something up with your retrieve. The blues are often in the front and on top. Bass hang in the back and on the bottom. Try that and see if it works. Good luck.

albiealert
04-14-2014, 12:32 PM
On a night that is perfect that you have planned to fish your wife or girlfriend will come up with something previously scheduled that she forgot to remind you of. Of course you have to go or you are in the doghouse.

dogfish
05-10-2014, 01:05 PM
You pull an all nighter. The fish are in the canal. An hour before sunrise you are following the tide as you hop on your bicycle to get to the next spot. You feel like you have to fart. You remember all the coffee and bad food you ate that night but make a brave attempt to let one out as you get on the bike so the smell will stay behind you. Only as you push out for the glorious release of gas no air comes out. It is all solids and liquids and starts running down your leg.

Now you have to stop and go find a discreet place to use your fishing rag, after dunking in the canal water, to wipe yourself down so you don't smell like a bum when you get to your next stop. Then you have to get rid of the fishing rag because it is now contaminated with your intestinal distress pudding.

storminsteve
05-10-2014, 01:12 PM
:upck: Holy toledo that is disgusting dude! Don't even know how to follow that up!

seamonkey
05-10-2014, 02:29 PM
That is sick and hilarious at the same time. I guess you fish by yourself dogfish?

rockhopper
05-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Freaking hilarious! roflmao