PDA

View Full Version : Peanut Bunker alternate uses?

fisherofmen
03-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Is there anything I can do with Peanut Bunker other than crab bait or catfish?

fisherofmen
03-15-2014, 04:22 PM
:HappyWave:Is There a market for peanut bunker....I mean ones that are dead?

surfstix1963
03-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Probably not

clamchucker
03-15-2014, 05:59 PM
I would agree with surfstix. Have never had good luck with them frozen. If you salted them right after you got them and kept them in salt water before freezing they might make good fluke or bluefish bait.

ledhead36
03-15-2014, 06:28 PM
:HappyWave: I have a freezer full of peanut bunker.....are they good for anything other than crab bait?

I was trying to figure out how you got so many of them. We didn't have that many in NJ last year. There was a spurt of them in the back bays late fall, and I saw some on the beaches after the mullet left. Then I saw your location and that you were from maryland. Where in maryland is piney point?
Did you net them in the chesapeake bay? How big were they? I have used frozen ones for bluefish and drifting on a boat for big fluke. As clamchucker and surfstix said they are tough to keep. Salting is good if you use kosher salt the regular salt isn't that great.
welcome aboard btw.:HappyWave:

surfstix1963
03-16-2014, 06:11 AM
If they are not in horrible condition you can grind them and use it for chum.I use to do that for the kids to catch snappers any larger pieces can be thrown on the hook for bait.

fisherofmen
03-16-2014, 02:19 PM
Thanks clamchucker

fisherofmen
03-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Near paxtuxent naval air station.Southern Maryland.Thanks ledhead:clapping:

fisherofmen
03-16-2014, 02:44 PM
just using a castnet....could fill up a 5 gallon bucket with one cast....thats nice....but its like Now what do I do with them?
Thought about grinding them and putting them in crab pot....is there a bait bag i can use to put in crab pot?:HappyWave:

ledhead36
03-17-2014, 09:35 AM
Near paxtuxent naval air station.Southern Maryland.Thanks ledhead:clapping:

Your welcome. The chesapeake spring fishing must be awesome

ledhead36
03-17-2014, 09:39 AM
just using a castnet....could fill up a 5 gallon bucket with one cast....thats nice....but its like Now what do I do with them?
Thought about grinding them and putting them in crab pot....is there a bait bag i can use to put in crab pot?:HappyWave:

You can get these mesh bags in tackle shops or wally world pretty cheap. If you're really cheap you can steal your wife or girlfriends old panty hose and use them. That way the crushed up bunker last longer. Eventually the claws destroy any kind of mesh anyway. You are better off with a stainless mesh bag if you crab a lot. I got one at a flea market for $1

clamchucker
03-17-2014, 09:45 AM
When I was younger we never bought those kind of bags. We made them. You can take old screens from window screens you find in the garbage. Make as many as you want for free. Put the bait in there and close with a zip tie or piece of rope. So many of the folks today will buy something that with a little thinking they could put together in 5 minutes.

J Barbosa
03-17-2014, 08:32 PM
I was trying to figure out how you got so many of them. We didn't have that many in NJ last year. There was a spurt of them in the back bays late fall, and I saw some on the beaches after the mullet left. Then I saw your location and that you were from maryland. Where in maryland is piney point?
Did you net them in the chesapeake bay? How big were they? I have used frozen ones for bluefish and drifting on a boat for big fluke. As clamchucker and surfstix said they are tough to keep. Salting is good if you use kosher salt the regular salt isn't that great.
welcome aboard btw.:HappyWave:

My crabbing spot is loaded with peanuts all summer long...last year was no exception...right in your backyard leadhead.

I tried to liveline some for fluke in the channels and the surf with no luck last year.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3698/9406197212_e3aa305657_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/94721242@N02/9406197212/)
My problem was that no matter how I hooked them they ended up spinning in the strong currents.

In the surf I couldn't keep them away from the other species long enough to try for a fluke. And when your dealing with live peanuts it's only a dozen per 5 gallon bucket otherwise they die quickly.

buckethead
03-19-2014, 04:42 PM
Agreed herring and peanut bunker are such a pita to keep alive. Used to do it back in the day and I recall it being a ton of work. Mullet are much easier to keep alive, much hardier.

bababooey
03-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Is there anything I can do with Peanut Bunker other than crab bait or catfish?

Yes you can cook them. Here is a recipe, same recipe for shad-
Take one or two peanut bunker.
Put them on a board like hickory or pine.
Drizzle lemon, oil, garlic, and spices on them
Cook slowly over a steady fire.
When they have a slightly done appearance and texture cook for 2 minutes more.
Take it out of the fire, throw the fish away, Eat the plank.:laugh:

surferman
03-20-2014, 02:00 PM
lol!

fisherofmen
03-20-2014, 06:19 PM
Thanks ledhead..thought about the pantyhose....but maybe will try a 2" in diameter x 12" piece of PVC ....DRILL A BUNCH OF HOLES IN IT..THEN FILL AND CAP IT

fisherofmen
03-20-2014, 06:26 PM
Thanks bababooey....sounds like the plank would be well seasoned.... but what about the splinters....and then to top that off..I would be out a plank:kooky:

fisherofmen
03-20-2014, 06:32 PM
just curious babbabooey....years ago I used to listen to Howard Stern..... I remember babbabooey being the producer of the show.....how did you aquire your name?

bababooey
03-20-2014, 06:53 PM
That was my Dad!:laugh:
No not really. I have been a stern fan for a long time. bababooey seemed to fit my outgoing personality. I love to laugh, party hearty, bust on people and am a free spirit. So you didn't like my bunker recipe suggestion? I'm disappointed I usually get lots of laughs with it. You piney point folks are tough customers. Just kidding fisher. You seem like a free spirit yourself. Welcome aboard. :HappyWave: