PDA

View Full Version : Do You Know Joe??

DarkSkies
03-20-2014, 12:38 PM
The world I grew up in as a teen, was filled with protests......
People protested the gov't decisions or changes, protested college tuition increases, protested abortion (for or against), protested wars, protested significant changes in policy, that might affect our lives.....

We seem to have drifted away from that in the last decade or so as internet and facebook have become central to the lives of many folks....
If there is a protest, or outcry....it is posted on the net, facebook, twitter, instagram.....

And the old-fashioned protests, citizens rallying and screaming for a cause they believe in....seems to have almost faced into obscurity....

I remember a few in recent years.......

The war protests,,,,,
The ones where students are demonstrating somewhere (in my recollection students still seem to be one of the most active protest groups...)
The ones where women protested the inhumane treatment the received via the barbaric Muslim laws in the Middle East.....
The protest against some elected officials...caught in a scandal and trying to deny blame and stay in office......

DarkSkies
03-20-2014, 12:59 PM
I also remember the Fishermens Rally, in Washington of 2010..AKA Fishermens March on Washington.
I had a front row seat....I was there and filmed it....
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5508-Fishermen-to-March-on-Washington

I have to be honest, there are few significant things in the past 15 years where fishermen got involved and rallied strongly (or tried to fight for) for a common cause.......some of the ones I remember are:

1. Subway cars in NJ (we lost)
2. Pots off the reefs (IMO mixed results)
3. Fighting for fishing Access on the Trenton urban shoreline of the Delaware River (we lost)
4. SSFFF - entailed hiring a scientist to prove fisheries managers were wrong about fluke (we won)
5. Brookhaven Fishing Access - Shoreham LI (we won, but only after a long protracted battle and false promises)
6. Drag Island - Cape May/Atlantic counties - fishing access (we won, though the results won't be seen for a few years....)
7. Lake Takanassee Swim Club - beach/fishing access - initially we won, but the owner reneged on his pledge as the access authority is now up to each town...so we actually lost)

And........
**Probably one of the most important ones to those who fish the NJ surf.....the Asbury Park 8th Avenue Jetty and Flume restoration project, began, and largely pushed, through the efforts of one man......Joe Pallotto........current president of the Asbury Park Fishing Club.

jigfreak
03-20-2014, 01:11 PM
**Probably one of the most important ones to those who fish the NJ surf.....the Asbury Park 8th Avenue Jetty and Flume restoration project, began, and largely through the efforts of one man......Joe Pallotto........

So true. Does anyone remember the jetty before they rebuilt it. It was a death trap and sucked. He really got it going. I am one a mailing list and got a request to send a letter about it. Joe was in the lead from day 1. Heres the thread.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?6181-Asbury-Park-8th-ave-jetty-The-power-of-one-How-one-guy-made-a-difference

buckethead
03-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Joe is an icon. I have no doubt without him the jetty project would not have gone forward. He had a lot of connections back then and badgered every one of them for help. When they made him they broke the mold. True old salt. Ask his opinion and he will give it to you cuss words and all.

surferman
03-20-2014, 02:02 PM
I don't know him but thanks for the education and info. Just read that he is behind the rally tomorrow as well. Wishing you success!

paco33
03-20-2014, 02:18 PM
So true. Does anyone remember the jetty before they rebuilt it. It was a death trap and sucked. He really got it going. I am one a mailing list and got a request to send a letter about it. Joe was in the lead from day 1. Heres the thread.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?6181-Asbury-Park-8th-ave-jetty-The-power-of-one-How-one-guy-made-a-difference

I know sergio and joe. sergio looks a lot younger in those pics. When you talk to joe you realize they broke the mold after they made him. One of the good guys. Just looked at the date and realized that was 2006, 8 years ago. My how time flies.

DarkSkies
03-20-2014, 04:21 PM
Thanks for sharing the memories, people.
I did a quick phone interview with him this morning.

Many may not know, that Joe. as he has gotten older, suffers from some debilitating ailments. Someone here said he is not the man he used to be, but still full of fire. That assessment couldn't be more true. Joe has never been one to complain. He doesn't want to burden anyone with his own problems, and instead prefers to talk about the problems we as fishermen are facing.

Today I was able to ask him a few questions and will be posting the answers here as I get a chance....hoping to give others a glimpse into the tenacity and unflinching resolve, of this one man........:thumbsup:

**I noted that as he is getting older, it was a great thing to have him come onboard and chair this effort once more, let Congressmen and the federal gov't know that we won't be bullied......that at his age, he was still fighting mad, and still able to inspire others...I asked him how he managed to still have that fight in him......

Joe: "Well to tell you the truth.....I may not have many more fights left in me....this may be my last fight....but I'm still gonna fight like hell anyway!"

DarkSkies
03-20-2014, 04:24 PM
As time permits, I will post some of his views on fishing, fishing access, fisheries management, and other things.
It's important to note, that Joe did eventually have other help on the Asbury 8th Ave jetty (groin) restoration project. Once he gained momentum, other fishing clubs did not want to see him fight alone, and marshalled support.....in the end....it was a group effort of many...that got the job done.......

However, none of that would have been possible, if Joe was not as stubborn, bull-headed, and determined as he was......
he encountered many obstacles along the way......
None of that phased him.....:thumbsup:

In my involvement in fisheries management and fights for fishing access in the last decade, some of the inspiration for what I try to convey to others out there....has come from Joe's single-handed determination to get that project started and see it through.
In many ways, his efforts have served as an inspiration for mine....particularly with all the fisherman apathy some of us face today when fighting for these issues.

Joe, as some has said, can speak well in the Halls of Gov't or at key meetings, but if you really want an honest opinion from someone, honest, candid, coarse...ask him direct questions.......you will get an earful, about why he feels the way he does,....and which politicians he feels have been lying to us fishermen.

hookedonbass
03-20-2014, 05:26 PM
Joe: "Well to tell you the truth.....I may not have many more fights left in me....this may be my last fight....but I'm still gonna fight like hell anyway!"

Wow that really says something. Thanks for everything Mr Pallotto and good luck with this one I wil be there!

cowherder
03-20-2014, 05:30 PM
Very inspirational good luck and thank you Joe.:clapping::clapping:

plugcrazy
03-20-2014, 05:54 PM

Thanks for posting. Good read. Those machines to move the boulders must have been huge.

storminsteve
03-20-2014, 06:21 PM
Joe and the clubs we are rooting for you. Keep up the good work!

hookset
03-20-2014, 07:18 PM
:thumbsup:Caught many a nice fish at night off of the 8th. Thank you Joe for fighting the good fight.

finchaser
03-20-2014, 11:09 PM
I've known Joe since around 1972 we've fought for many things through the years pertaining to access and fish as have many of all the old club members. Many are long gone scary thing is whose going to take over for us not many of the new generation have the spirit.

DarkSkies
03-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Joe, as some has said, can speak well in the Halls of Gov't or at key meetings, but if you really want an honest opinion from someone, honest, candid, coarse...ask him direct questions.......you will get an earful, about why he feels the way he does,....and which politicians he feels have been lying to us fishermen.

Yesterday, I asked him about DEP commissioner Bob Martin and Congressman Frank Pallone. Pallone has long campaigned as the fishermens friend. There are quite a few folks out there who I have heard say that.
What does that mean?
I asked Joe for his opinion:

Joe - "Pallone really hasn't done much for us lately. He lives in Long Branch and he only cares what the homeowners say, Us fishermen come last. As for Bob Martin, I have been invited to a lot of those meetings. Some I went to. I won't go anymore because Bob Martin promised us access would not change with the replenishment. He gave us his word. Now look at all the access we are losing. He is a liar."

finchaser
03-21-2014, 09:48 AM
Agree with Joe we put Pallone in office way back when he was a Long branch councilman. He only becomes our friend lately when he needs votes. He dangles his striped bass gamefish bill in front of us been in Congress for over 20 years and goes no where. The DEP IMO sold us out.

storminsteve
03-21-2014, 11:35 AM
Agree with Joe we put Pallone in office way back when he was a Long branch councilman. He only becomes our friend lately when he needs votes. He dangles his striped bass gamefish bill in front of us been in Congress for over 20 years and goes no where. The DEP IMO sold us out.

x3. I have heard that Commisioner Martin is an elitist piece of crap! No wonder he is known as a liar as well. In your experience finchaser how do you tell the liar politicians from the ones that are telling the truth?

buckethead
03-21-2014, 12:59 PM
storminsteve finchaser can probably answer that but I will take a stab at it as well. You know politicians are lying when their mouths are open. I agree with the comments about Pallone and especially Bob Martin. Pallone has been selling the fishermen phony baloney sandwiches for years. As finchaser said every time he needs votes he kisses *** of the fishermen and then does nothing. Maybe 20 years ago he was a friend of the fishermen but no more.

Bob Martin is a different case. As Joe said he made promises to us. I attended some of those access meetings. I remember him sitting up there and promising fishermen we had a voice and would be listened to. What is even more offensive is that he sounded sincere and like he actually cared. Bob Martin is not an honorable man because he is two faced. He will say whatever he thinks you want to hear. He does not have the courage or integrity to be honest. He is more than a bald-faced liar. He is a coward as well. It is a shame he is appointed because if he was elected he would have been out of office by now.

seamonkey
03-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Thanks for sharing that gents I had no idea pallone is such a louse!
Here is his # if anyone wants to call him. We should call whenever we can and tie up his phone lines with calls from fishermen. Good luck today and thanks to all!
Congressman Pallone
(732) 571-1140

DarkSkies
03-21-2014, 08:53 PM
Joe was his usual self today, in good spirits....and seeming a little less caustic and more into negotiating....even sounding positive when asked about any progress with Frank Pallone.....

We are all trying to be hopeful,. and at the same time, not be lied to by these politicians...they have done it in the past and will do it again...and the ones that lie to us more than once...should be voted out of office come election time.....
This is IMO only.....trying to keep it positive here.....
Will try to post some more of the interview with Joe when I ge a chance....

dogfish
03-22-2014, 03:23 AM
Thanks for sharing that gents I had no idea pallone is such a louse!
Here is his # if anyone wants to call him. We should call whenever we can and tie up his phone lines with calls from fishermen. Good luck today and thanks to all!
Congressman Pallone
(732) 571-1140

Our fishermen had problems here that could only be resolved when Governor Patrick went to the feds. This sounds like it is a federal issue because that is where the money and decisions are coming from. Perhaps your Governor would be willing to do the same?

CharlieTuna
04-23-2014, 05:11 AM
I've known Joe since around 1972 we've fought for many things through the years pertaining to access and fish as have many of all the old club members. Many are long gone scary thing is whose going to take over for us not many of the new generation have the spirit.

I was living back in jersey in 1972. I still visit on holidays. Sorry to hear you are losing your jetties. Doesn't seem to make sense. It's a shame.

buckethead
04-28-2014, 07:16 AM
Joe and the jetties got some press over the weekend-

Sandy beach project wrecks prime fishing spots, anglers complain

http://imgick.nj.com/home/njo-media/width620/img/monmouth_impact/photo/14803698-mmmain.jpg
Shore fisherman are particularly perturbed by a post-Sandy project's plans to cut off access to rock jetties sticking out into the surf. A fisherman is shown in this file photo. (Star-Ledger file photo)

(http://connect.nj.com/staff/njoapnews/index.html)By The Associated Press (http://connect.nj.com/staff/njoapnews/posts.html)The Associated Press
on April 27, 2014 at 7:38 PM, updated April 27, 2014 at 10:07 PM
More Sandy Coverage (with photo)

Sandy beach work ruins key fishing spots, anglers say (http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/04/sandy_beach_work_ruins_key_fishing_spots_anglers_s ay.html)

http://ads.nj.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_lx.ads/www.nj.com/monmouth/2014/04/sandy_beach_work_wrecks_prime_fishing_spots_angler s_complain.html/44016260/StoryAd/NJONLINE/default/empty.gif/6241567038564d39634a59414472426e?bt=7051&bt=2013&bt=6162&bt=6163&bt=8064&bt=2055&bt=0019&bt=8063&bt=c0263&bt=0084&bt=6165&bt=7032&bt=8156&bt=2027&bt=6057&bt=all&bt=6158&bt=6152&bt=7049&bt=7050&bt=2041&bt=2084&bt=1099&bt=3043&bt=7052&bt=9002&bt=8067&bt=2070&lid=223e173a8ff5e88036ed7dac73229c48&tag0=asbury-park&tag1=monmouth-county (http://ads.nj.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/www.nj.com/monmouth/2014/04/sandy_beach_work_wrecks_prime_fishing_spots_angler s_complain.html/44016260/StoryAd/NJONLINE/default/empty.gif/6241567038564d39634a59414472426e)

ASBURY PARK (http://www.nj.com/monmouth) ? Not everyone is happy that a massive project is underway to restore the Jersey shore's beaches after Hurricane Sandy.
With the second summer after the storm approaching, fishing groups say the project is wrecking prime fishing spots by smothering parts of rock jetties with sand, destroying a unique angling opportunity that draws thousands of people to the state's shoreline each year.

And they're particularly perturbed by plans to cut off access to rock jetties sticking out into the surf. That work, called notching, is designed to ensure the uniform flow of sand along newly replenished beaches and cut down on erosion, but the anglers say the jetties are irreplaceable spots to catch fish, particularly in communities that limit public beach access.

They want the federal government to find a way to widen the beaches without covering and notching the jetties.
"These jetties, once they're gone, they're gone forever," said Greg Hueth of the Shark River Surf Anglers, one of many groups agitating against the beach project. "What they're doing is filling in all these areas with sand and destroying some of the best fishing areas. Every fish spawns in that area ? flounder, lobsters, bluefish, everything. They're going to fill it all in and smother it to death."

Dan Russo, who fishes in the Asbury Park area, said the nooks and crannies of the rock jetties provide habitat akin to coral reefs for many species of fish. Chris Hueth, another fisherman, says there's a spot in Allenhurst, near Asbury Park, where a jetty was buried in sand by the repair project, wiping out what was a productive breeding ground and fishing spot.
"There's nothing there now," he said. "It's all gone."

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is in the midst of a massive project to restore New Jersey's coastline to a condition better than it was before Sandy hit in October 2012. From Maryland to New Hampshire, the storm was blamed for 159 deaths, and New Jersey and New York alone claimed a total of nearly $79 billion in damage.

The project's stated purpose is to protect lives and property, but it also has the effect of maintaining one of New Jersey's most popular tourism attractions: its 127 miles of beaches.

Christopher Gardner, a spokesman for the Army Corps, said the agency has heard fishermen's concerns and will look for potential changes to the project to address those while still ensuring the project works as designed. He also said the impact on fishing areas will be temporary.
"While some habitats and the species in them will be temporarily impacted by the construction of the project, most of the marine life will re-colonize nearby after construction activities are completed and marine populations impacted will return to normal levels over time," Gardner said.

The project involves pumping huge quantities of sand from offshore onto the beaches, which are being widened to 150 to 200 feet.

The notching of the jetties involves removing rocks from where the jetty meets the edge of the beach, creating a flow of water between the beach and the jetty. It's intended to help sand flow along the newly replenished beaches and keep them relatively uniform.

That's something that has long been accepted by coastal scientists as a benefit to the coastal ecosystem, said Tim Dillingham, director of the American Littoral Society. By lessening erosion, notching the jetties should extend the life of the new beaches, making them need to be replenished less frequently. But in this case, there's a unique concern: the tendency of several communities along the Jersey shore to limit public access to the beaches through a variety of tactics, including private ownership of part of the beach and severe restrictions on parking nearby.

"Because this is such a unique place, maybe it's in the best interests to keep the jetties as they are and maybe do the beach maintenance on a more regular basis," Dillingham said.

Joe Pallotto, president of the Asbury Park Fishing Club, said the anglers would accept a compromise in which the beach work could proceed if fishermen retained access to the jetties.
"This is something we've been able to do for decades, and now they're just coming in and taking it away," he said.

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2014/04/sandy_beach_work_wrecks_prime_fishing_spots_angler s_complain.html