PDA

View Full Version : I Hate New Jersey

Monty
03-23-2014, 07:01 AM
Reconsidered my stance on New Jersey being a great place to live.
While the battle to save some notching of some jettys and stop some more replenishment goes on, at least 90% of the ocean side beach I fish is buried.
If this "beach replenishment" had any merit, that would be another thing.
But it doesn't work.
It kills billions of living creatures that live close to the shore.
Creates dangerous beach conditions, anyone see the big cliffs in some areas? Sink holes on covered rock piles and jettys?
And the maintenance for these will be forever, and maintenance will just be more of the above.
It is just a corrupt way to funnel taxpayers money with no responsibility to what has been done and is doing to the ecosystem at the shore of this state.
So I will stop complaining, its depressing, time to move on, when I fish ocean side it will be in another state.
Fishing the NJ ocean beaches was a huge part of my enjoyment in life, just cannot believe the rationality in any way of this "replenishment".
And my opinion of New Jersey is it $ucks.

DarkSkies
03-23-2014, 08:50 AM
If this "beach replenishment" had any merit, that would be another thing.
But it doesn't work.
It kills billions of living creatures that live close to the shore.
Creates dangerous beach conditions, anyone see the big cliffs in some areas? Sink holes on covered rock piles and jettys?
And the maintenance for these will be forever, and maintenance will just be more of the above.
It is just a corrupt way to funnel taxpayers money with no responsibility to what has been done and is doing to the ecosystem at the shore of this state.

And my opinion of New Jersey is it $ucks.

I agree with everything you said, especially the highlighted part. Have long wanted to move out of NJ to a state where taxes are more reasonable and local gov't is less intrusive in our lives. Pa, De, Fla, and the Midwest are on my list of alternatives....

Unfortunatey, I have this thing, called a striped bass addiction....I don't think there are any 12 step programs for it...;)

So, if I (or you) want to fish for them from land, our most logical choices remain - NJ. NY, Ct, or Rhody.....:don't know why: :HappyWave:

seamonkey
03-23-2014, 08:57 AM
You guys should consider moving to Atlantic or Cape May county. The taxes are a lot better here in south jerz and more space to do what you want. Striped bass is good anywhere from ocean city to cape may. Of course we probably dont have the kinds of jetties you are used to. A lot of the sand beaches are flat as well. But you still get to fish for stripers.

voyager35
03-23-2014, 09:09 AM
One of the problems is there are good job opportunities in Jersey. Go down south and the wages are less. Unless you are going to retire there you have to think of that.

Monty
03-23-2014, 10:03 AM
I agree with everything you said, especially the highlighted part. Have long wanted to move out of NJ to a state where taxes are more reasonable and local gov't is less intrusive in our lives. Pa, De, Fla, and the Midwest are on my list of alternatives....

Unfortunatey, I have this thing, called a striped bass addiction....I don't think there are any 12 step programs for it...;)

So, if I (or you) want to fish for them from land, our most logical choices remain - NJ. NY, Ct, or Rhody.....:don't know why: :HappyWave:

Midwest??? Dark snap out of it, no salt water out there.

Voyager and seamonkey
Agree with south jersey being an option, but with cose family across the street, moving is not an option.
Fortunatly I live in the north east of jersey, so the ride to ny or ct is not much longer. But the tolls are $25 per trip...ouch.

plugginpete
03-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Fellas LI is no better you have to pay sepately for every beach you want to fish. Those 4wd permits can get expensive. Taxes aren't that great either. I don't know what you are paying but I'm over 9k/yr.

Monty
03-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Fellas LI is no better you have to pay sepately for every beach you want to fish. Those 4wd permits can get expensive. Taxes aren't that great either. I don't know what you are paying but I'm over 9k/yr.

I don't mind walking a mile to fish or paying to drive on a beach.
What just makes me sick is in the picture below.
Left is before, right is after beach replenishment.
And after a few storms it will be a mess with sand moving all over.
And everything that was alive near those rocks is dead.
And our taxes paid for it (yours and mine since I think it was federally funded this time). And that is supposed to save towns from storms like Sandy? Good luck with that.
And (lots of ands in this post) like mentioned, at least 90% of the ocean beach I fish either looks like that or has some amount of sand burying it.
Is LI like that?

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2014_3_23_BF_AFT.jpg

surfstix1963
03-23-2014, 04:15 PM
I can smell the law suits already when people walk across that and break their legs.

ledhead36
03-24-2014, 01:16 PM
I dont hate jersey so much I think its the people and rules and regulations we have to follow. Oh and the red light cameras too they suck.

williehookem
05-22-2014, 07:27 PM
Fortunatly I live in the north east of jersey, so the ride to ny or ct is not much longer. But the tolls are $25 per trip...ouch.

There are no fish in LI. Maybe try Ct instead.:)
And living here is no great joy. You should see the guidos on fri and sat nights and the dweebs driving daddys hummers racing up and down the beach at fins and making deep ruts which causes problems for the rest of us.

robmedina
05-23-2014, 06:44 AM
I want to live on my own private island. Surrounded by stripes, bull reds, tarpon and snook. The weather is perfect everyday and no effen wind. I can sight cast all day long to fish.

Monty
05-23-2014, 09:54 AM
I want to live on my own private island. Surrounded by stripes, bull reds, tarpon and snook. The weather is perfect everyday and no effen wind. I can sight cast all day long to fish.

Same here, but I am ok with some variable winds, gusty at times.....some rain.....a day here and a day there with some gale forced winds and horizontal rain.

:HappyWave:

robmedina
05-23-2014, 10:10 AM
Same here, but I am ok with some variable winds, gusty at times.....some rain.....a day here and a day there with some gale forced winds and horizontal rain.

OK I will allow some variable winds, gusty at times.....some rain.....a day here and a day there with some gale forced winds and horizontal rain....on your side of the island :)

storminsteve
05-23-2014, 12:19 PM
^^^^^^Or finchasers private pond. I have heard it talked about so many times here it is legendary. Apparently he has a helicopter pilot to take him into the middle of the fish. What a lucky guy. Hey guys it could be worse. We could all live in Kentucky.

storminsteve
05-23-2014, 12:20 PM

what about the white water, essential ingredient of any monty fishing report.:HappyWave:

bababooey
05-23-2014, 12:36 PM
No one mentioned we have almost the highest property taxes on the east coast after NY and CT. What do we get for that, Can't even get a decent bulk trash pickup in my neighborhood without paying an arm and a leg.

BassBuddah
07-01-2014, 03:43 PM
I have always been jealous of the jersey beach commercials you see on tv. a lot of folks by us are littering pigs. I did not get that sense from looking at the jersey commercials. Looks like lots of pristine beaches.

surfstix1963
07-01-2014, 06:18 PM
Pigs for sure me and the wife took a ride to sorethumb what a effing mess we ended up picking trash up instead of enjoying a couple hours with short fluke and sea robins the only game in town

bababooey
07-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Another thing the RE transfer tax. You want to leave the state and sell your house you still owe the state its due in the form of the transfer tax. BOHICA

DarkSkies
05-23-2015, 01:53 PM
I wanted to give Mr Monty another chance to vent...word on the street is he put a deposit on surfstix's house and is moving to LI......:moon: :HappyWave:

seamonkey
05-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Oh come on dudes it's not all bad. Our taxes are high and the traffic sux. Have you all been down to Fla? Try Miami on a friday night it's nutsl. The taxes down south are better, true. Try to find a job down there that pays decent. You can't. So for now I will be sticking with jersey. My .02

Monty
05-23-2015, 03:30 PM
Oh come on dudes it's not all bad. Our taxes are high and the traffic sux. Have you all been down to Fla? Try Miami on a friday night it's nutsl. The taxes down south are better, true. Try to find a job down there that pays decent. You can't. So for now I will be sticking with jersey. My .02

Agree with you, job wise Jersey is a positive, lots of beaches (sand up the wazoo), fast paced life is good. For some reason Dark has something against fishing Long Island. I really don't understand it. From where I live time wise its about the same for me to get to some LI spots and NJ spots. Fishing at Montauk (a heck of a ride) is an incredible experience with all the structure. One atrocious thing about a trip to LI is the tolls....its despicable.

jigfreak
08-07-2015, 12:35 PM
Starting to hate it too. All the beautiful white sand for the tourists. You should see the color it is when it comes out of the dredge pipes. Looks like some ancient giant came along after eating too hot tacos and sprayed diarrhea all along the beaches there. And the tourists and swimmers love it so much. We fishermen don't mean crap to the governor or the politicos there.

bababooey
07-18-2016, 09:52 PM
you guys are a bunch of crabby crabs. New Jersey has the best of everything

Monty
07-18-2016, 10:31 PM
New Jersey has everything (just not the best of everything), plus it has a close proximity to Long Island, which is the best thing.

storminsteve
07-19-2016, 06:45 AM

Yeah Nj rocks! He's so crabby and such a Nazi in the dead things that he won't even allow a dead tarpon. Long Island is good for finding dead sea turtles and that's about it. Woohoo.:kooky: