PDA

View Full Version : Striped bass on a great rebound

robmedina
03-28-2014, 01:46 PM
thanks to the efforts of the fisheries management- ....you are probably thinking I am smoking crack, right? Well I thought the same thing when I heard this guy on tv say that. I was watching Saltwater adventure with Bill Boyce and he was in Montauk with a Captain Ron. And they were discussing how great the Striped Bass fishing is. Captain Ron said that in 1984 the moratorium started and it ended in 1990- and now the fishing is better than ever! I could not believe my ears! I can kind of understand in Bill Boyce, a native Californian, not knowing what's going on in our local waters, but this Captain Ron- born and raised in NY and a fishing charter- being that clueless boggles the mind!
http://captronsfishing.com/ ****edit- I just watched the video and they don't talk about in there but they did on the tv show. *****

Unbelievable!

jigfreak
03-28-2014, 03:49 PM
Capt. Ron Onoratostarted commercial fishing in the waters of Montauk Point in 1973 as a rod and reel striped bass fisherman. During that time he fished for codfish, weakfish, and he pioneered the art of small boat fishing for giant bluefin tuna. In the 1980's fishing from his 22 foot Boston Whaler landed over 60 tuna weighing up to 804 pounds. In addition he has fished for striped bass extensively for over 30 years http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.png

Capt ron you are a putz. I am embarassed that you are italian you give all italians a bad name. The info above says he was fishing since the 70s. How could he say striped bass fishing is great all the montauk capts were complaining last year. He is a punk to say that just looking to lie and get more business. What a tool.

robmedina
03-29-2014, 08:33 AM
Here is email correspondence with Capt Ron:

Capt Ron
I just watched the episode with Bill Boyce on WFN. Did I hear you correctly when you said the Striped Bass fishing is the now the best it has been since the moratorium?

Rob

HelloRob:

Youdid hear correctly. At Montauk we have had superb striper fishing for thelast number of years. Last year was exceptionally good. Capt. Rob
OnMar 28, 2014, at 2:02 PM, Rob Medina wrote:

strikezone31
03-30-2014, 04:33 PM
They asked him where the bluefish were and he said off the coast of jersey coming north. Bluefish come from the deep in the spring not from the south. If he doesn't know that he won't know much about stripers either.

dogfish
04-05-2014, 12:36 PM
HelloRob:

Youdid hear correctly. At Montauk we have had superb striper fishing for thelast number of years. Last year was exceptionally good. Capt. Rob

Might be time for Cappy Robby to get a seeing eye dog.

nitestrikes
04-05-2014, 02:04 PM
Might be time for Cappy Robby to get a seeing eye dog.

Or an appointment at Pearle Vision.
The montauk bite was terrible last year. I didn't start catching bass till the last week of october. The boats were catching them in the rips. That was limited. The waves of bass that we are used to seeing never materialized. About 10 days of decent action but most of it after that was off of the FI beaches. One of the worst years for catching bass in the montauk surf that I have ever experienced.