PDA

View Full Version : Inlets out flow, direction of current

Monty
06-26-2014, 02:40 PM
What determines the current direction ocean side of an inlet?
Like on a full moon when there is a large out flow, does wind determine in any way the direction ocean side?
Is current always in the same direction? Major factors in current direction.

More interested in the current direction ocean side just outside the inlet (ocean beach).

Found this:
Fly Fishing Science
http://midcurrent.com/science/a-current-event/
by Dr. David A. Ross
illustrations by David A. Ross
http://media.midcurrent.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/ross_current.jpg

finchaser
06-26-2014, 04:50 PM
I would agree except when the wind is hard from a particular direction like a Northeaster.

Monty
06-26-2014, 06:51 PM
I would agree except when the wind is hard from a particular direction like a Northeaster.

So the "natural" outflow (current) of an inlet on the ebb is south?

buckethead
06-26-2014, 07:05 PM
Is current always in the same direction? Major factors in current direction.

I think what you posted was a good graphic explanation. finchaser also gave a good one as well. I would add that the current flow outside the inlet is important. There are times (most) when the water comes out of the manasquan inlet and goes south. There are times when the water comes out of the shark river inlet and goes south. If there is a strong south to north current at certain times of year, that current flow would affect each inlet differently. You could also have seasonal variations depending on weather patterns. moon tides have effected current differently in some of the areas I have fished also.

Thats why its a good idea to get to know each inlet and fish each side of it if possible during the same tide. Then compare at different times of year. At least thats what works for me.

finchaser
06-27-2014, 09:03 AM
Generally currents Deal and north run south to north which explains all the sand at the hook from beach replenishment

Currents from Deal south usually run from north to south which causes Manasquan inlet to fill with sand and need dredging 4 times a year instead of once every 2 years since the inception of beach replenishment

We have experienced this when we fish boats and is why when you fish north and south of Deal on the same day many times it's like 2 different oceans the next major current change is around seaside. It was explained to me as being caused by the natural curve of the Jersey coast and it's barrier islands

Monty
06-27-2014, 02:43 PM
Generally currents Deal and north run south to north which explains all the sand at the hook from beach replenishment

Currents from Deal south usually run from north to south which causes Manasquan inlet to fill with sand and need dredging 4 times a year instead of once every 2 years since the inception of beach replenishment

We have experienced this when we fish boats and is why when you fish north and south of Deal on the same day many times it's like 2 different oceans the next major current change is around seaside. It was explained to me as being caused by the natural curve of the Jersey coast and it's barrier islands

Thank you for the info :HappyWave:.

This sand thing is completely out of control. The Jersey Shore is SCREWED.

storminsteve
06-27-2014, 10:27 PM
Great info guys thanks for sharing. Especially the current movement between Deal and parts south and north. Finchaser the army corps should hire you as a consultant. It seems they get it wrong every year.

basshunter
06-28-2014, 07:16 PM
Good read thank you gents.