PDA

View Full Version : You just can not make this stuff up!!!!

robmedina
07-06-2014, 02:16 PM
So we are on vacation down in Florida this week. We drove down early sat morning. As we enter Florida we see lightning storms ahead. I have driven in heavy rain before so it was no biggie until a bolt of lighting struck my truck and fried my trucks computer!

http://youtu.be/G2AkV6joy2E

AS the lightning struck the vehicle sparks flew over the windshield. My Wife and one daughter were on the passenger side of the truck and they said they felt a lot of heat on their sides. I lost power but was able to roll onto the right side shoulder out of harms way. After looking at the video above I can see why they would feel heat.

It was late in the day so mostly everything was closed. I called a local ford dealership (Duvall Ford of Jacksonville FL) they took such good care of us. They came and picked my Wife and kids up to get them off the highway and out of the heat and even loaned us a ford explorer to go on vacation.

God blessed us and took care of us. You just can not make this stuff up!

7deadlyplugs
07-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Im confused. I looked at the video and it says the couple were in alberta canada. That wasnt you and your family cause you said florida? Either way sounds like a scary experience. Glad you are all ok. I would def go to church when I got home.

7deadlyplugs
07-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Never mind I just read your post and saw it was a similar video. Sorry. Glad you are all ok sounds like it was scary.

Monty
07-06-2014, 04:02 PM
AS the lightning struck the vehicle sparks flew over the windshield. My Wife and one daughter were on the passenger side of the truck and they said they felt a lot of heat on their sides. I lost power but was able to roll onto the right side shoulder out of harms way. After looking at the video above I can see why they would feel heat.
God blessed us and took care of us. You just can not make this stuff up!

Wow, that's crazy. Great to hear all is well, but that's nuts.

robmedina
07-06-2014, 05:21 PM
oh man- I just noticed that the electrical service on the house I am renting fell to the ground last night. We still have power but the wires going into the meter are exposed and it has been raining on them off and on all day- and it poured today! WOW- what the heck is happening? what am I supposed to learn from all this?

bababooey
07-06-2014, 08:15 PM
:scared:I don't know but I would sure as hell not go on any family trips with rob unless I pre-selected a special lighting damage rider on my insurance policy. Just kidding rob great that you are ok. Certainly unusual thats for sure.

Monty
07-06-2014, 08:41 PM
oh man- I just noticed that the electrical service on the house I am renting fell to the ground last night. We still have power but the wires going into the meter are exposed and it has been raining on them off and on all day- and it poured today! WOW- what the heck is happening? what am I supposed to learn from all this?

Make sure you are well grounded...:idea:

robmedina
07-07-2014, 06:11 AM
:scared:I don't know but I would sure as hell not go on any family trips with rob unless I pre-selected a special lighting damage rider on my insurance policy. Just kidding rob great that you are ok. Certainly unusual thats for sure.
LOL, yeah I am not sure you want to be anywhere in my vicinity at any given time.

J Barbosa
07-07-2014, 09:01 AM

OMG - I almost died laughing!!!

Rob, glad to hear you are okay.

Cars are well grounded and one of the better places to be during a lightning storm.

surfstix1963
07-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Damn lucky would be my lesson glad everyone is ok

DarkSkies
07-07-2014, 11:08 AM

Rob, we love ya.....:HappyWave:....but you have to see the bizarreness of this situation here....

1. Some of the other members might not know that earlier in the year, you narrowly escaped injury when (as I recall) your truck got rear-ended.
2. Then, on vacation, your truck (new truck?) gets targeted by lightning.
3. To make it even more bizarre, the electric service falling to the ground is even more strange....those things are supposed to be secured to the house and the wires coming in through conduit, anchoring points strictly mandated by the NEIS and town construction and municipal codes.

Let's see....unforseen auto accidents....struck by lghtning....staying in a house that could have caught fire....
Remember the time I offered to let ya come out with me on the flats fishing at night?
I hereby rescind that offer. With your luck we'll be out there and get nudged by sharks. :whoo:

I'm glad you're well grounded....because your lifestyle is just "too amped up" :laugh: for me. :rolleyes: :HappyWave:We have our resident Googan of the Year Monty....and I think this year your mission is to overtake him and earn that trophy for yourself.

Take a look at some of the requirements for this prestigious prize....you're already halfway there....
Requirements and awards/ trophies are on page 3 and 4
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8090-I-win-the-googan-of-the-year-award/page3

GooG luck, and may the best man win.

** And it goes without saying, that I'm glad you and your family made it out safe...:thumbsup:
Hope you enjoyed the rest of the vacation. :HappyWave:

stormchaser
07-12-2014, 12:23 PM
Crazy story. I would play the lottery this week if I were you.

robmedina
07-12-2014, 02:00 PM
hah hah thanks, we thought the same thing. When we went to get my truck (which has more problems incidentally) it started lightning real bad again- I said you have got to be kidding me if we get hit again!!!
had to rent a car to get the family home and may be going back on Tuesday- only plus is I am planning on taking my buddy Mikey with me so we can get some hardcore fishing in before we come back.

lostatsea
07-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Wow what a crazy story. Glad you and family are safe.