PDA

View Full Version : trip to Mosquito Lagoon, New Smyrna BEach Florida

robmedina
07-08-2014, 07:05 PM
I booked a trip with a fishing guide in NSB Florida- hitting the flats for redfish and trout and anything else.

Went out this morning at 6am. We tried one spot where some juvenile tarpon have been rolling. Saw what was about a 50 pound tarpon but he wouldn't take a fly. We kept getting a lot of other skiffs flying through where we were fishing.

We left there and went to a cove that held some redfish. I managed to stick one with a pinfish imitation fly. It was about 24" long, beautiful copper color. Got some pics and released. I had shots at a few dozen more in that cove but because it is such skinny water they are very skittish and I spooked them with the slightest of movements.

We went to a few more coves but the fish were skittish and I kept blowing my shots with movement. We then went out to the main flats and spotted some big trout and nice redfish hanging on a sand bar. This time I switched to a spinning rod with a paddle tail plastic. I hooked a small trout and lost it at the boat. Had some follows but couldn't get them to commit, had the tail bit off on the paddle tail and actually hooked another red on the lure without the tail.

It was a fun experience and I have a much greater appreciation of what the guys on the flats do everyday and how they make it look so easy.

Pics to follow once I get them from the guide.

Monty
07-08-2014, 07:56 PM
Great report, looking forward to the pics.
Sounds like a fun experience. Congrats on the catch on the fly.

DarkSkies
07-09-2014, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the "nomad reporter" report Rob.
Glad you and the family are now into the vacation groove and having a good time.
Hoping the weather and wind holds up for the rest of your trip. My experience fishing the flats down there is that heavy winds can make it tough. I said a prayer to Poseidon to watch over you and hopefully bring you some fish. :fishing: :HappyWave:

robmedina
07-09-2014, 05:57 PM

Monty
07-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Great pics.:HappyWave:

J Barbosa
07-10-2014, 12:45 PM
Nice picture Rob

cowherder
07-11-2014, 11:44 AM
Great report and pics. Nice redfish! Any idea of how much it weighed? Is that typical of the size they are getting? Looks like it would be a nice fight. Thanks for sharing.

lostatsea
07-11-2014, 02:56 PM
Sweet fish man