PDA

View Full Version : Massive algae bloom invades areas of the Jersey Shore

finchaser
07-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Massive algae bloom invades areas of the Jersey Shore

Originally published: July 11, 2014 6:55 PM
Updated: July 11, 2014 7:28 PM

A green blob invading the Jersey Shore is so large it can be seen from space. (7/11/14)
SEA BRIGHT - A green blob invading the Jersey Shore is so large it can be seen from space.
Maria Cimard-Rivera, a mother from Middletown, says the water in Sea Bright was clear two weeks ago and was surprised to see the brownish hue in the crashing waves. "I was very weary about my kids going into the water," she says.

The algae bloom is so massive a NASA satellite could see it. The image prompted the DEP to test the water, which revealed elevated levels of organisms called phytoplankton. The DEP says this kind is non-toxic and safe for swimming.
READ MORE: Environment Stories (http://newjersey.news12.com/1.4264080)

"This one's a very large bloom which is not unheard of before at the Jersey Shore," says Tim Dillingham, of the American Littoral Society. "They think the winds blowing the surface water is bringing lots of nutrients up from the deeper water, giving a rise to this bloom today."

The DEP map shows the biggest algae concentrations are in the Raritan Bay near Union Beach and along Sea Bright, Monmouth Beach, and northern Long Branch.
There is some concern though about what could happen to wildlife in the water when the algae dies off, because oxygen will be depleted from the water.
The last time there was significant algae like this was back in 2011. The good news is that winds have been shifting, which could help break it up and keep the algae from growing.
The DEP says it will be monitoring the bloom for any changes.

buckethead
07-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Thanks finchaser. I am hoping for a storm soon to break it up. If not when it dies off we could have a massive bunker kill in some of the back bay harbors.

nitestrikes
07-12-2014, 10:54 AM
AKA red tide and can cause massive die offs of several species.
http://www.27east.com/news/article.cfm/East-End/442777/Scallops-Suffer-Massive-Die-Off-Red-Tide-May-Be-To-Blame

About 4 years ago we had massive bunker die offs near Riverhead because of it.