PDA

View Full Version : NJ Fishing Reports for the Week of 7-7 to 7-13-08

bunkerjoe4
07-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Important when registering on our site use an active email address so you can activate account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free, as long as you are not overly specific about location.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
CMR - Cape May Rips

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
DB - Delaware Bay

bunkerjoe4
07-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Week in Review 7-7-08

NJ WIR 7-7
Well folks it has been another interesting week here in NJ. A plane crashing in the water, a sunken boat, dead whale washing up on shore -- anything but fantastic fishing reports. :)

Some of out members are still catching bigger fish, but I feel the Spring bass run is almost over, save for a blitz here and there. The ocean temperatures are warming, and huge pods are quickly swimming North to cooler waters.

The hype surrounding those blitzes was amazing. Some folks believed that everyone was catching all they could carry, and some folks in South Jersey thought that many people up in the Northern part were culling and wasting fish.

Lots of rumors flying around. Reminds me of the game we used to play at camp when we were kids - telephone. You would say a phrase, and repeat to your buddy next to you. By the time the phrase circled the campfire, it was entirely different.

This also reminds me of the misperceptions and animosity between surfcasters and boaters sometimes. I'll try to address that in another thread.

Bluefish action offshore slowed down for a few days, probably due to them spawning. They should return with a vengeance. Before this, captains were saying this has been one of the best years for near and offshore bluefish action.

Fluking has been fast and furious, with many caught, few keepers. Many are becoming frustrated, and privately feeling they got screwed with the new regs. I would tend to agree, and again encourage people to get involved the next time there are hearings.

The partyboat fleet is really taking a beating over this. Coupled with the high price of fuel, many are barely getting by.

There seem to be less boats fishing on a regular basis, and I think the economies that depend on this traffic will be hurting this year.

As to back bay action, there are now more peanuts showing up, which should encourage action during the hot summer for those fishing at the right place at the right time.

Another plea for conservation of bigger bass: Even though the law allows you to catch and keep 2, if you do catch 2 of these giants, and ALSO fish on a regular basis, please consider whether to keep them or not. I have a feeling these last 8 weeks may have an impact on future bass populations, but it's too early to have any definitive data. More on that in another thread.

NY WIR 7-7

The back bays are providing some great fluking and bluefish action, for those drifting around the channels, cuts, points, lumps,and other structure. It's very sad to see the size of some of these fluke thrown back that are not the required 20.5". Please consider getting involved when the next meetings are scheduled to voice your opinion.

Bass are starting to show in greater numbers, and are being caught on bunker, clams, and various plugs during low-light periods. If you can find concentrations of bait, chances are the fish are not far behind.

There are also reports of sandeels and large spearing in the bay and surf spots, so there is plenty of food for the predators.

2 dead fishermen were pulled in at Jones Beach. Please be careful out there, and know your limits.

The sea is a powerful force, and to second guess her actions or weather is not always advisable.

We have several weather, tide, and ocean wave links poster here in these forums. Please take advantage of them, if you haven't already. You should also try to familiarize yourselves with wave height and duration, very important if any bad weather patterns are coming in.

Good luck out there, folks, be careful, and catch 'em up!

clamchucker
07-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Hope this is ok, came from guppiesfishing site. I know this is an issue because some friends were there yersterday. State police are checking anglers now to see all the required gear is with you, don't even try giving them a hard time, it's better to try to respect the authority.

Just got a phone call from Guppy who asked me to warn everyone that they have set up a check point over at Island Beach State Park and are checking everyone driving on the beach to see if they have the required safety equipment on board. Don't expect to just get a warning either as they are giving out plenty of summonses.
The following eleven (11) items are MANDATORY in order to drive a 4 X 4 on the beach:

1. Fishing Equipment (rod & reel), Tackle/Bait for each person over the age of 12!
2. Tire Pressure Gauge
3. Full size Spare Tire
4. Workable Jack plus a support board (3/4" x 12" x 12" minimum)
5. Tow Chain or Snatch Line
6. Shovel (Not a plastic toy beach shovel)
7. Flashlight
8. Fire Extinguisher
9. Auto First Aid Kit
10. Litter/Trash Bag (IBSP is Carry In/Carry Out)
11. Minimum of 1/4's tank of Fuel.

wish4fish
07-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Finally got in on some action. Sandy Hook yesterday around 3pm, bass and blues came close, slashing bunker. Bass to 15lbs, blues to 10 lbs, poppers Woo Hoo! (but I lost 3 to bluefish, lol)

strikezone31
07-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Couple of Blues at SH last night.

clamchucker
07-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Very slow today. Fluked from the beach somoco, only 5 short fluke, 6 red birds.

bunkerjoe4
07-08-2008, 11:40 PM
OK folks, the winner for the June NJ fishing reports plug giveaway is LennyD. :clapping:

Lenny, please e-mail me the address where you want it sent. The plug will be a Davis topwater swimmer, similar to the ones fishlipper is using. You will be getting a green one. If anyone has not yet checked out the thread for Davis lures, go take a look. He's a good plug-builder, sells them at reasonable prices, and as shown, they do catch fish.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=78 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=78)

Congrats to all others who have been in the right place at the right time and have caught those big bass. Even more congrats to those who caught 10 or 20 of them at a time, and released them.:thumbsup:
Attached Thumbnailshttp://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1610&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1213203990 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1610&d=1213203990) http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1611&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1213203990 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1611&d=1213203990)

LennyD
07-09-2008, 07:56 AM
OK folks, the winner for the June NJ fishing reports plug giveaway is LennyD. :clapping:

Lenny, please e-mail me the address where you want it sent. The plug will be a Davis topwater swimmer, similar to the ones fishlipper is using. You will be getting a green one. If anyone has not yet checked out the thread for Davis lures, go take a look. He's a good plug-builder, sells them at reasonable prices, and as shown, they do catch fish.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=78 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=78)

Congrats to all others who have been in the right place at the right time and have caught those big bass. Even more congrats to those who caught 10 or 20 of them at a time, and released them.:thumbsup:
Attached Thumbnailshttp://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1610&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1213203990 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1610&d=1213203990) http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1611&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1213203990 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1611&d=1213203990)

Hey Bunkerjoe4!
I tried to email you but i cant get to that part.
do u wanna pm your email so i can send my info to you?
Thanx!
Lennyd:HappyWave:

LennyD
07-09-2008, 08:10 AM
hi, i just did email you my info.
thanx again!
:HappyWave:

basshunter
07-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Fished lbi yesterday towards dark. No bass, but had a clam pole small pieces got some kingfish.

fishinmission78
07-09-2008, 08:49 PM
occo near dark yesterday and today. Yesterday got 2 bass to 26" fishing the cut using clams, today nothing. water is coooold, down in low 50's.

cowherder
07-10-2008, 06:44 AM
Fished in the front last night occo, nothing to show for it, bombers and topwater.

fishlipper
07-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Last night moco. Started looking for bunker, quite a few pods here and there, blissfully happy bunker. :D

Started blind casting around 9:30pm after the tide started to come in. 5 hours, 14 jetties, and 5 miles later (covered most of moco) got one short bass around 24" at 1am on black madgarter. Not really paying attention, tired, and so surprised I got a hit after all that time, and lost it in the wash.

For the next hour, I was alert and pumped, but could not even get another bump. Through the night, threw everything from topwater to swimmers to bucktails, but the darter was the only thing that got the hit. Maybe it was just coincidence, but people have been hitting them on magdarters lately. Who knows. :don't know why: Slim pickens.

Anyway, it was a beautiful night, perfect conditions, but the water is getting warmer. Was out with another friend, and we didn't see any other surfcasters after 10pm.

wish4fish
07-12-2008, 08:08 AM
Found the bunkies in a deep harbor in the back last night. Snagged a few, chunked heads for bluefish up to 8 lbs. Wasn't a blits, but I needed the action, lol.

fishinmission78
07-12-2008, 08:16 AM
Clams again last night occo near an inlet. 1 bass 25" incoming.

clamchucker
07-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Went fluking down the beach yesterday, shrewsbury rocks area and closer in. 4 keepers between the 2 of us, 32 shorts, sea robin strips and peruvian spearing.

basshunter
07-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Not much to report lately. Didn't post anything because I am the skunk king lately, :skunk: embarassing especially since early spring I was catching some bass. Lately, nothing but sea robins. But yesterday, we were at the Hook, and got into some bluefish right before sundown. bluefish up to 8lbs on pencils and Tsunami talkin poppers. Water way in the front was rough surf, had to find a place where it was a little calmer.:learn:

fishinmission78
07-13-2008, 02:58 PM
TRIED to fish yesterday, and this morning, occo. Out front the swells have picked up from the hurricane down south. Bait fishing is almost impossible unless you want to use window sashes. Plugging was rough, gave up after 15 mins. Save your gas money guys, don't come down till the swell goes down.

plugginpete
07-13-2008, 05:02 PM
I was out yesterday in the back rb, early morning. Didn't see anything much caught, most people using bait. Did get one small blue on small kastmaster, There are lots of peanut bunker around.

captnemo
07-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Early yesterday am we set off on the nearshore grounds in search of bluefish. Found some bunker schools, and started chunking, but were surprised to get into brown sharks in the 50-80lb class. Nice action for awhile, but no bluefish, as they tend to be scarce when browns are around.

Later on we were coming back near SH and got into some bluefish action in close, fish 3-9lbs. Seems (some) of them are done spawning. :D