PDA

View Full Version : Spot - lafayette and croakers has any one caught them yet?

captnemo
09-16-2010, 03:25 PM
spot (lafayette)

Leiostomus xanthurus
Size
to 14"
seldom that big
Habitat
Shallow coastal waters, bays, estuaries.
Description
these diminutive drums form an important fishery, both commercial and recreational.
Spot migrate seasonally, entering bays and estuaries in the spring where they remain until late summer or fall when they move offshore to spawn. When mature, spot are between 2-3 years of age and 7-8 inches long.
Spawning takes place in the ocean from fall to early spring, and the post-larva move into estuaries, utilizing low salinity tidal creeks where they develop into juveniles. As they grow, they move toward higher salinity areas during the summer and early fall and offshore in the fall as water temperatures decreases. Those that summered in the northern portion of their range also move south in autumn.
Spot prey on bivalves and tube-building polychaetes, often nipping bivalve siphons and polychaete tails. Additionally, adult spot feed on small crustaceans, small fish, and plant material. They eat by grabbing a mouthful of sediment, chewing, and then spitting out unwanted matter.

http://njscuba.net/zzz_uw/spot_leiostomus-xanthurus2.jpg

http://njscuba.net/biology/sw_fish_drums.html

cowherder
07-27-2014, 08:16 PM
Yesterday I was fishing in nomoco with gulp and gulp teaser. Got some fluke but also a lot of little nips. Was wondering if they might have been the little spot. Has anyone seen them yet? thanks.

fishinmission78
07-27-2014, 09:26 PM
My buddy in SIC caught some yesterday. Haven't heard of any up here yet.

J Barbosa
07-28-2014, 07:01 AM
You might want to ask Ledhead as he has been fishing for croakers and may have come across some.

seamonkey
07-28-2014, 07:19 AM
Guys are getting them in great bay with cast nets and bloodworms so they must be building up. Around 3-5".

surferman
08-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Haven't seen too many in the Cape May area yet. I am calling this the year of the great spot famine lol.

ledhead36
09-03-2014, 02:11 PM
^^^ Same up here. Haven't seen a one. And weakfish are conspicuously absent from the usual RB areas as well. Some spikes in the channels but nothing near what we usually see this time of year.

ledhead36
10-07-2014, 07:29 AM
I got 2 last night. We were fishing a deeper water area in the back. Haven't seen them all year and then they show up in october go figure. Was trying for porgies and using clams on a porgy rig.

hookedonbass
08-07-2015, 04:53 PM
any of you guys finding croakers or spot yet. Don't need to know exactly where but I haven't heard of any yet. Shouldn't they be here by now?

surferman
08-08-2015, 10:27 AM
Haven't seen spot so far but we are full on with croakers. Fished CM last week few times with fishbites and clam. The fishbites seemed to do better for me for some reason. Each time I got anywhere from 4-6 good ones. The trick for me is when the tide is coming in. Tried this morning and it was the end of the outgoing tide and no dice.

ledhead36
08-08-2015, 03:55 PM
Was fishing a late summer bay spot for porgies the other day. Got some to 11". most were smaller. Got them the next day too along with 2 croakers. Sandworm pieces and clams for bait. I think it's a good bet to say they are here.

williehookem
08-13-2015, 04:20 PM
I read where a guy got these yesterday when fishing for porgy. NY bight area. Looks like the spot are here!