PDA

View Full Version : Swearing off Gulp for August! Some advice?

J Barbosa
07-29-2014, 06:19 PM
Come August 1st I am going to swear off the gulp completely for a whole month.

My goal is too see how many keepers I can catch without it in the month of August - surf, kayak & boat.

surferman
07-29-2014, 06:39 PM
^^^^^^^ Lol you sir are a brave soul! Gulp is like heroin for fish. what are you going to try bucktails and pork rind like the old saltys? I guess its possible. They had to do something to catch fish before gulp was invented.

J Barbosa
07-30-2014, 09:13 PM
Anything I can get my hands on...I am open to suggestions. :HappyWave:

bunker strips
live peanuts
live mullet
bucktails with trailers
Zoom - jerk shads, flukes, mini flukes, 4.5" swimming flukes
curly tails
2.5" and 4" swim shads
Hopkins shortys

Blazin420
08-08-2014, 07:58 AM
I fished yesterday afternoon after work for two hours on a friends boat. Like Blaze reported there is big adult bunker all over the bay. Also saw lots of those luminous (at night) jellyfish all over the place.

Managed one keeper fluke, some shorts and another one that would have been a keeper last year.

Seems like more croakers may have moved in as my gulp was really getting attacked and I managed three bigger ones.

Croakers and keeper fluke came out of 30-40ft of water.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5572/14847903151_52592c670e_b.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/94721242@N02/14847903151/)

Got this awesome double sided fluke. I can't remember the proper name for them?
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3848/14664343319_aa2d41b81d_b.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/94721242@N02/14664343319/)
Nice John! Hey wait i thought you were off the GULP for the month of Aug:laugh::HappyWave:....Just kidding bud i got a couple of those double sided fluke last year...Cool to see...And real quick how do you guys fillet those croakers been wanting to try cooking them...havent caught any this year but if i do i wanna keep'em...

J Barbosa
08-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Guilty August gulp user as charged...I have some alternatives I am going to bring on the yak tomorrow. My gulp stash is almost fully drained down to 1/2 quart once that ends I am done for the year.

Going to give the fluke in the surf on a fly rod a serious effort come September. I do tie a really nice clouser maybe its time to put them to use :HappyWave:

cowherder
08-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Nice John! Hey wait i thought you were off the GULP for the month of Aug:laugh::HappyWave:......

Guilty August gulp user as charged...I have some alternatives I am going to bring on the yak tomorrow. My gulp stash is almost fully drained down to 1/2 quart once that ends I am done for the year.

So you are backsliding hmmmm JB?:laugh:
Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where they all pledge to quit masturbating. They all slowly realize they can't.
I don't know how you could keep that pledge anyway. Gulp is like fluke crack. Can't think of what would do better for fluke from the surf. Maybe small bunker strips cut like you cut squid?

Monty
08-08-2014, 12:26 PM
Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where they all pledge to quit masturbating. They all slowly realize they can't.
I don't know how you could keep that pledge anyway. Gulp is like fluke crack. Can't think of what would do better for fluke from the surf. Maybe small bunker strips cut like you cut squid?

:ROFLMAO JB caved in pretty quick...That was a great Seinfeld episode.

bababooey
08-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Yeah I would never fish for fluke without gulp or bait. The rare times I have fished lures in the surf is during the fall sandeel runs when an ava jig is the ticket. Whatever were you thinking in making that pledge jb?:HappyWave:

bababooey
08-08-2014, 12:53 PM
That was a great Seinfeld episode.
I agree. Have always thought of myself as Jerry. which one would JB be?:laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkklW7VEBHA

lostatsea
08-08-2014, 12:58 PM
^^^^^ Great episode. "I zipped up!" "Well we can use the honor system" rofl. Love it when Kramer bursts into the room later on and says "I'm out!" Classic moment in TV comedy

J Barbosa
08-08-2014, 12:58 PM
ok...give me a break guys I did try using some flukes from the surf last friday but switched to the gulp as the fish were all 15" and below.

Maybe September will be the NO GULP month :)

J Barbosa
08-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Bababooey, there is no way you are Jerry.

If one of us here had to be Cramer I would vote for you!!!

storminsteve
08-08-2014, 01:05 PM
X2!! Either bababooey or dark is Cramer! I would cast myself as Puddy the mechanic. He gets to bang Elaine repeatedly.

JB, I don't know- you're getting into backsliding mode. They say they road to hell is paved with backsliding and swearing off gulp.:HappyWave:

bababooey
08-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Bababooey, there is no way you are Jerry.

If one of us here had to be Cramer I would vote for you!!!

I'm ok with that. Gerry dated the supermodel types but didn't get laid that often. And he also dated the virgins like Daphne from Frasier. The freaks like the man hands girl. Who wants to date a girl with man hands?:scared:
otoh Kramer got into the wildest sex scenes with the crazy chicks. I'll take that role any day. It mirrors my life.

storminsteve
08-08-2014, 01:21 PM
^^^^ Yeah but Kramer also banged fat hideous women. What about that waitress who wanted more food and he had to keep going to Jerrys apt to get some?

jigfreak
08-08-2014, 01:26 PM
Not entirely true, Steve. My votes with Cramer. He got the kinky nasty babes. Cool episode where he was dancing around with some crazy half naked girl to some african music. She was hot. The guy who got the fugliest women was Newman. He boffed Cramers mom. Nowhere close to MILF status. Total boner deflating material.

Blazin420
08-08-2014, 02:33 PM
:laugh::laugh:Sorry John i started it:HappyWave:.....I do love that episode!!

DarkSkies
08-09-2014, 09:56 AM
:ROFLMAO JB caved in pretty quick...

ok...give me a break guys

JB texted me last night.
He feels so guilty over this he has trouble sleeping. :laugh:
So help us....help him........

If you find him anywhere, using Gulp...for the month of August.....
He has promised to take that person, out on a kayak trip....full day.....
(He has a few kayaks)
Showing all of his best spots.....

He wanted me to let ya's all know......
that he appreciates whatever help we can give him, to break his gulp "addiction"...;)
He also said, as a bonus, he'll give 2 hand tied teasers to the first person who catches him using Gulp....:clapping: :HappyWave:

storminsteve
08-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Hey jb where do you launch out of and what color kayak? I am bringing binocs with me from now on lol.:HappyWave:

fishinmission78
08-09-2014, 03:01 PM
Try sea robin strips. Or bergall strips if you fish near an inlet on high tide. Snapper blues have worked for me as well.

J Barbosa
08-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Well if you read my latest report you wouldn't want to know my kayaking spots.

If you find a yellow and red Hobie kayak there is a good chance you might get some teasers or bucktails.

ohh...and if anyone wants to come kayaking we can probably arrange that. Dark can lend you his; he doesn't use it that often.

We used live mullet from 3-6", small live snappers, zoom swimming flukes and gulp on bucktails. Caught shorts on the mullet, flukes, gulp and bucktails. Nada on the snappers yesterday. Bucktails accounted for 1/3 of my fish which is rare. I trimmed down some of the hair on them so the trailers could actually swim...looks like it worked.

DarkSkies
08-10-2014, 01:49 PM
JB texted me last night.
He feels so guilty over this he has trouble sleeping. :laugh:
So help us....help him........

If you find him anywhere, using Gulp...for the month of August.....

He wanted me to let ya's all know......
that he appreciates whatever help we can give him, to break his gulp "addiction"...;)
He also said, as a bonus, he'll give 2 hand tied teasers to the first person who catches him using Gulp....:clapping: :HappyWave:

I must be getting senile as I get older....did I say 2 teasers here?
All of a sudden I'm remembering that he told me he'll give ya 4 teasers, if ya catch him using gulp.....for the month of August....

ohh...and if anyone wants to come kayaking we can probably arrange that. Dark can lend you his; he doesn't use it that often.

See the 4 teaser edit above....glad to be of help, pal.......:moon: :plastered::laugh: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
08-24-2014, 12:09 PM
Just a reminder......

Help JB keep his pledge.....Gulp free!
If you catch JB fishing with gulp in the next 10 days, you win
1. Guided kayak trip to all his secret spots
2. 4 hand tied teasers, that he made, your choice.

Thanks JB!......for your generous offer......... :ROFLMAO :HappyWave:

cowherder
08-24-2014, 01:33 PM
Hey I'll take you guys up on that! jb where do you launch out of? I have a good pair of binocs.:bigeyes:

Monty
08-24-2014, 03:35 PM
How about a JB update?
On or off the Gulp wagon?

J Barbosa
08-24-2014, 10:04 PM
Off the wagon but still using it but only fluke fished once in the past 2 weeks.

DarkSkies
09-11-2014, 01:07 PM
^Ya just might have a gulp addiction....we tried to wean ya off of it.....but it's worse than cigarettes.....:)

Have to add to this thread here....
For those of ya commenting about my personal hygiene....:moon:
I met up with JB the other night....
I was freshly showered, on the way to fishing, and he can attest that I didn't smell that bad.....:cool:

he really did me a favor and gave me some well-made bucktails.....:thumbsup:
I have never seen someone so compulsive about the way a bucktail looks...he went into great detail how he even works hard to make sure the fake eyes he puts in the dimple are the appropriate size...they're not for sale....as he really puts a lot of time and compulsivity into making each one....

I'll try to post some pics when I get a chance.....hope to hang some fish on them soon.....:fishing:
A sincere thanks to JB for his generosity.....:clapping: :thumbsup:

On a side note....
Never go anywhere where you have to speak Spanish with this guy.....He has Spanish roots, yet his command of Spanish is about as good as Frank Perdue's.....:laugh: ;) :HappyWave:

J Barbosa
09-12-2014, 10:12 AM
^Ya just might have a gulp addiction....we tried to wean ya off of it.....but it's worse than cigarettes.....:)

Have to add to this thread here....
For those of ya commenting about my personal hygiene....:moon:
I met up with JB the other night....
I was freshly showered, on the way to fishing, and he can attest that I didn't smell that bad.....:cool:

he really did me a favor and gave me some well-made bucktails.....:thumbsup:
I have never seen someone so compulsive about the way a bucktail looks...he went into great detail how he even works hard to make sure the fake eyes he puts in the dimple are the appropriate size...they're not for sale....as he really puts a lot of time and compulsivity into making each one....

I'll try to post some pics when I get a chance.....hope to hang some fish on them soon.....:fishing:
A sincere thanks to JB for his generosity.....:clapping: :thumbsup:

On a side note....
Never go anywhere where you have to speak Spanish with this guy.....He has Spanish roots, yet his command of Spanish is about as good as Frank Perdue's.....:laugh: ;) :HappyWave:

No mas bucktails para ti amigo!!!

It's not so much about being compulsive. I live by the motto that if its worth doing its worth doing right.

$20 got me thousand's of 3D eyes in various colors, sizes and styles. If your going to take the time to put one on a bucktail or fly shouldn't it at least be the right size?

As for the bucktail thread there is nothing worse than sloppy work. Not because the fish care so much but because the hair might pull out. Mine are glued down along the way and my thread is wrapped on tightly and then dipped under two layers of clear coat to protect the threads. You can pull on the hair all you want it will break or get bitten off by a bluefish before it pulls out. Try that **** with an overseas bucktail and see what happens.

J Barbosa
09-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Ohh...you should see some of the tins I poured up the other night. They came out absolutely INCREDIBLE!!!

I put them next to a store bought chrome plated diamond jig and the natural shine of TIN makes chrome diamond jigs look DULL.

I'll try to get a picture up tomorrow.

DarkSkies
09-12-2014, 03:14 PM
Yep, and when you finish them damn tins, make sure you get your *** out there and fish em!
Now is the time. :learn:

No mas bucktails para ti amigo!!!

Nosotros estan amigos? :scared:
Aah......Que bueno...y muchas gracias por los bucktails de professional.......

Ahora, una pregunta facil.......

Cuando tu buscas por un novia, or una esposa?
Por favor no espera much mas tiempo!....
O tus novias solos puede hacer con viajes al Santo Domingo, Punta Cana! :pig: :HappyWave:

bababooey
09-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Well I don't know much spanish but I do know there are some good ho'ing places in Santo Doomingo. Let me know if you need some intel JB.