PDA

View Full Version : Early fall run?

cowherder
08-22-2014, 03:29 PM
I haven't been fishing in awhile. This morning I just had to go. I was amazed at how different it was from last week. The morning air was cooler. The water didn't feel that hot. Was thinking the bait will start to move out of the bays earlier this year. What do you guys think?

finchaser
08-22-2014, 04:37 PM
I agree water in the back never got warm this year

J Barbosa
08-22-2014, 11:01 PM

Any chance this might mean some key baits leave our waters before what's left of the migratory bass even arrive?

buckethead
08-23-2014, 02:45 PM

What finchaser said. Haven't seen too many peanut bunker or mullet in monmouth county. The mullet could school up and leave before most of the migrating bass get here. It happens some years when there is a mild summer like we are having now. It also depends on the hurricane season ahead of us. A few strong ones will clear the back bays out more quickly.

DarkSkies
08-27-2014, 08:53 AM
Good points, people. :HappyWave:

Just a head's up......
Mullet Run 2014
Finchaser advised me a guy he knows who nets mullet way in the back of Ocean County is telling him the mullet that far back are thinning out and moving closer to the front, rivers, and back areas of inlets.
The other day I reported not seeing too many mullet in Monmouth and Middlesex areas.
As I said this can change daily as they move around various coves and harbors, also dependent on the weather.
Last night while out fishing I saw a few scattered schools towards the end of the tide, in areas I hadn't seen them before.

Will they start to stage and move out this weekend?
That's anyone's guess. Feedback I got from friends further South in Jersey says they already are on the move.
This does seem to be a little early this year.
The area you fish......may be different than what's described here.

basshunter
08-31-2014, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I am hoping for some small storms and less humidity. I think that will help to set things in place. It was hot as hell today.

ledhead36
09-03-2014, 02:15 PM
I don't know about early, but it's certainly thin so far in terms of bait. Was talking about this with dark the other day maybe he wants to chime in. Theres nowhere near the amount of peanuts we usually have. Mullet are in the raritan and some rivers but thin as well. Anyone who is reporting online that there is a lot of bait in our area is delusional. Lots of spearing but not much else right now. If we don't get some different bait sources soon the fall run in monmouth county will pretty much be little spurts of catching with a crap sandwich in between. my .02

buckethead
09-04-2014, 01:18 PM
If we don't get some different bait sources soon the fall run in monmouth county will pretty much be little spurts of catching with a crap sandwich in between. my .02
agreed

ledhead36
10-07-2014, 07:34 AM
In the summer you have the doldrums. I think september should be the new doldrum month. Finally started catching a few bass. I was very glad to turn the corner to october.