PDA

View Full Version : Cutting & Installing VMC Trebles

J Barbosa
08-31-2014, 04:10 PM
I see a lot of people online complaining about how the new made in China VMCs are too brittle and that they gave up using cut hooks because too many broke when opening the eye.

I don't mind swivels but on some plugs you have to either cut the hook or downsize so they don't snag the lip or the other hook. I like to use as big of a hook as possible (without affecting the action) because I strongly believe most hook failures are a result of not fully penetrating the tough jaw bone.

This is also why most people loose their big fish after the first run. Big fish with a tough mouth and that hook never penetrated and as soon as there is a little slack or direction change it pops free. With a bigger hook there is a better chance of hooking the fish around the jaw bone.

I ran out of my old 4/0s (made in France) and received my first batch of the new Chinese ones. Cut and installed a box of 25 with only one failure.

I've been using a pair of Knipex mini bolt cutters and they have held up great. I use Ron's method with an allen key. Works great. :thumbsup:

http://www.lordshiplures.com/cutting.html

plugcrazy
08-31-2014, 04:18 PM
thanks for sharing the link. He is real involved in that. He made a wooden jig to turn the eye just to where he wants it and uses the allen wrench to stabilize it. Very smart thinking out of the box. I was doing it with a combo plier that was wire cutters and pincers. Very hard to get a grip so the eye closed perfect. will have to try it that way one day.

finchaser
08-31-2014, 05:27 PM
As for cutting hooks to me its a NO NO weakens hook and promotes rust. I would rather attach with a HD split ring

Mustads are no longer made in Norway but China

J Barbosa
08-31-2014, 06:09 PM
The Knipex pliers give such a clean cut you can't even tell it was cut when I am finished. I dab the cut area with nail polish and never had any rusting issues around the cut. I should have mentioned that trick in the first post.

I use to get some rust when using vise grip pliers to hold the hook but thanks to Ron's idea the wood doesn't remove the tin finish.

Another tip is to rinse your gear after every trip...but even when rinsed they will rust around the hook points and the area where they hang from the swivel/split ring.

http://www.lordshiplures.com/newsletter/articles/hookrust.html

But seriously you guys already knew that...did you know a dab of bunker oil on the swivel and hook eye will stop it from rusting?

As for cut hooks being weaker a guy tested cut hooks and split rings and cut VMCs always opened up on the hook bend before the eye ever showed a sign of opening. I've had split rings fail on me but never a cut hook.

Is it a pain in the rear to cut hooks? Heck yes, but IMO it's totally worth it on some plugs.

Eagle claw is made in China as well. Not sure where Owners are made but they are ridiculously priced on their treble hooks.

J Barbosa
08-31-2014, 06:27 PM
For old grouchy himself

Monty
08-31-2014, 06:53 PM
I cut a lot of my hooks.
Never had one fail.....but I always am debating with myself if I should be using split rings instead (hooks snagging hooks, hook on lip withstanding (would change no matter what)).
I have also been increasing my hook size this year.

I wash my plugs after every trip and change them when they rust.
Pic from todays fishing.

http://rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/2014_8_31_SS2.jpg

williehookem
08-31-2014, 07:08 PM
Where do you get the knipex pliers? thanks

J Barbosa
08-31-2014, 08:58 PM
KNIPEX 71 12 200 8" Comfort Grip High Leverage Cobolt Cutters with Spring

Listed for $48 on Amazon or $60 at Home Depot

I've heard some guys recommend using a Dremel with a cutting wheel but that just sounds way to dangerous and not to mention you are removing metal.

surfstix1963
09-01-2014, 10:43 AM
I use the VMC's for tail hooks on a single treble plug,if they are a double treble I will either use a Mustad 9175 as a tail hook or leave the tail hook off completely and just put a stub on the back.Most plugs will swim fine without the rear tailhook some swim better without it,the only plugs I don't mess with too much are darters.