PDA

View Full Version : enforcement Under Fire

finchaser
10-15-2014, 05:10 PM
http://oneanglersvoyage.blogspot.com/2014/10/enforcement-under-fire.html

DarkSkies
10-16-2014, 08:41 AM
Informative read by Charlie. Thanks for posting that, Fin. :thumbsup:
Many folks don't realize the culture of corruption and good ole boy network that exists in some of the watermen communities.

1. If they do get caught, it's not a great fine compared to the reward illegal fish bring in.
2. These cases tend to be marginalized and hardly ever prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
3. The accused frequently plead out to lesser charges and fines.
4. The network of politicians and influence is far greater than many folks realize. That's why when some shout on the internet:
"We should just ban all commercial fishing, then there will be no problem!"....the folks that say that are blissfully ignorant of all the factors at play....and the big players behind the scenes....

albiealert
10-16-2014, 09:23 AM
Thank you for sharing, Sir. I def agree there is a lot of that going on by me.

hookedonbass
10-16-2014, 01:00 PM
"And what got the folks down at the dock angrier than anything else was that on the rare occasions that someone actually got caught, the fines were completely disproportionate to the crime, amounting to a mere slap on the wrist.

Someone said that fines should be punitive.
?Make the first illegal fish $500, $1,000 for two, and just keep going until it starts getting really expensive. And take the boat, too. After it happens a couple of times, people will start thinking that it?s not worth the risk of losing a $300,000 boat to sell $300 of fish.?
At that point, I interjected that, as nice as such penalties would be, the trend is headed in the opposite direction. "

x 2 make the fines higher. These scumbags are not afraid. If it helped I would pay for a sw license to stop these scum. Especially the meatmen in raritan bay. Every time they take those bonus fish they are taking one more than everyone else. especially fisher price total scummy bottom dwellers. Fine their asses off!

bababooey
10-17-2014, 07:43 AM
Inmates running the asylum, crazy. Thanks for sharing that. Does anyone think that will ever change?

"At that point, I interjected that, as nice as such penalties would be, the trend is headed in the opposite direction. In another sad example of the inmates running the asylum, the folks who break our fisheries laws now have now taken control of the debate, and have fisheries enforcement folks on the defensive."

VSdreams
10-17-2014, 08:55 AM
What Charles Witek is referring to happening in Gloucester reminds me of the corrupt politicians of the past. These guys are caricatures and surely do not stand for justice. Boss Hogg anyone?

buckethead
11-06-2014, 09:48 AM
Good read fin chaser thank you for posting.