View Full Version : Fall run 2014?

seamonkey
10-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Has it started yet? Some guys say we need to wait to the 3rd week of october. Others say the water temperatures are too warm. I have been fishing the Cape May area and there are very few bass mostly bluefish. Its hard to know who to believe. Some of the quotes I read today were all over the map.

I have high hopes for this year. If the bait holds up it could all come together. Montauk has the bait right now and I will give it two days next week and hope the white bait and peanut bunker will be hard to the shore.

There are still fish on the Cape my friend says lots of big fish weighed in plus school fish. Just going to be a little late, hope the weather keeps thing on track.

Then John from Betty and Nicks said yesterday that the water is too warm and the bass are still coming. What I'm trying to figure out is who do you believe? How do you guys know what is real and who is full of hot air? thanks

surferman
10-16-2014, 12:49 PM
I read somewhere that a tackle shop in Atlantic county weighed in a fish over 20 lbs. I don't think the waters too warm is the truth.
or that we are waiting for big fish to pass by. I think that a lot of big fish have passed us by and we are getting the crumbs. I'm not a sharpie but fishing for me has been pretty lame this year. 2 good weeks in the Delaware and that's been the highlight. The rest of the water in the ocean just mostly bluefish and some kings in August.

hookedonbass
10-16-2014, 12:55 PM
I did so great on stripers this year that I took up sharking in the summer lol. I think most of the resident fish are dead. The guy who says he has high hopes this year must not fish very much. Internet fisherman. If you want to get a real take on things listen to the dudes who fish a lot.

storminsteve
10-16-2014, 04:48 PM
jigfreak figured it all out. This guy is hilarious!
Check it out the stripers are still coming. Funny stuff jigfreak!:clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5437-Strange-but-true-thread-outrageous-behaviors-statements-made-by-surf-fishermen

Yes Junior in internet land anything is possible.
Here's how it works -
During the storm, the surf fishing fairies fly all around surf land, especially where you like to fish.
They sprinkle magical fairy dust all over the ocean, thousands of tons of it.
In that fairy dust is a super growth hormone - any striper that is within 1/2mile of a crystal of fairy dust is magically transformed in size.
The 24" bass turn into 24 pounders.
30 inch turn into 30 pounders. And so on.
Pretty soon the ocean then becomes so filled with stripers that everyone is catching them, even the dillys that are complaining about catching small bass.
Then, in the morning, when you go to the WaWa to get your coffee after a night of fishing, you look at the newspaper and see it is October 17, 1990, when the striped bass were fully recovered.
How the frick do you think we will get more stripers? Do they come from heaven made by Keebler elves?:kooky:
SMH at some of the stupidity out there. Pay attention dudes half the bass are gone. Open your eyes instead of focusing on the Iphone 24/7 and you might see that.

finchaser
10-16-2014, 10:02 PM
2 massive schools of 15 to 30 pound fish have already passed us and are off Delaware

They were off of Long branch in the 7 mile long bunker school on Friday the 10th and off LBI Monday the 13th

Montauk's so call blitz that started Sunday ended today

Maine is over for the year

Block Island is so dead that many charters were canceled by the Captains. 5 friends of mine returned 3 days early from a week stay at a rent free house with a jeep to drive the beach. They never heard of or saw a fish. Except for some large mouth bass they fished for out of boredom.

Seems there is a large school as I type in Rhode Island. than your guess is as good as mine where they will come from. I wish they were like Dorito's so we could just make more ASAP. It's just like last time they were wiped out.

porgy75
10-17-2014, 07:35 AM
Has it started yet? Some guys say we need to wait to the 3rd week of october. Others say the water temperatures are too warm. I have been fishing the Cape May area and there are very few bass mostly bluefish. Its hard to know who to believe. Some of the quotes I read today were all over the map.

I have high hopes for this year. If the bait holds up it could all come together. Montauk has the bait right now and I will give it two days next week and hope the white bait and peanut bunker will be hard to the shore.
How do you guys know what is real and who is full of hot air? thanks

2 massive schools of 15 to 30 pound fish have already passed us and are off Delaware

They were off of Long branch in the 7 mile long bunker school on Friday the 10th and off LBI Monday the 13th

Montauk's so call blitz that started Sunday ended today

Maine is over for the year

Block Island is so dead that many charters were canceled by the Captains 5 friends of mine returned 3 days early from a week stay at a rent free house with a jeep to drive the beach. They never heard of or saw a fish. Except for some large mouth bass they fished for out of boredom.

Seems there is a large school as I type in Rhode Island than your guess is as good as mine where they will come from. I wish they were like Dorito's so we could just make more ASAP. It's just like last time they were wiped out.

seamonkey I read that quote on another site. The guy who said it seems like the guru of striped bass with folks always asking his advice and all he was bassically saying is the striped bass run hasn't even started yet and talking about myco. Wow.
finchaser thanks for that intel. According to the internet reports the fall run is just poised to begin once the temperatures drop. You seem to have info on a much deeper level. Thank you Sir for your insight and sharing your knowledge.

bababooey
10-17-2014, 07:47 AM
^^^^^^I'm in for the finchaser phone intel chain.:HappyWave:

VSdreams
10-17-2014, 09:00 AM
fin chaser - have learned so much from the posts of you and other older anglers over the years. Had not seen you posting lately and was thinking something happened to you. Hope you are all right. It seems you fish a lot and I for one thank you for the knowledge you have passed on. I have definitely gotten better at the striper game from reading these posts and the how-to threads.

bababooey
10-17-2014, 09:07 AM
^^^^^^ Aah no need to be a suck-up. Just tell finchaser you want in on his intel chain as well. If enough of us ask maybe he'll listen.:)

storminsteve
10-17-2014, 09:36 AM
lol!

jigfreak
10-17-2014, 10:05 AM
Well said finchaser. Fall run has been underway for at least 2 weeks now. I heard from a friend who got them at the IRI in Delaware this morning.

jigfreak
10-17-2014, 10:08 AM
According to the internet reports the fall run is just poised to begin once the temperatures drop. You seem to have info on a much deeper level. Thank you Sir for your insight and sharing your knowledge.

A little friendly advice here. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Too many professors and not enough folks who actually fish hard. I'm out there 3-6 nights a week and don't always report when I get the skunk. I do know if the fish should be there or not based on many years of logs. When you read a long winded dissertation from one of those professors you should also think how often they fish. If they don't get out there often take it with a grain of salt.

jigfreak figured it all out. This guy is hilarious!
Check it out the stripers are still coming. Funny stuff jigfreak!:clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5437-Strange-but-true-thread-outrageous-behaviors-statements-made-by-surf-fishermen

Glad you liked it,man. Some people have no concept of what fishing used to be. It's funny to hear the new guys gripe about how they want bigger fish and are not happy with the 24 inchers. Maybe if they got involved and paid attention they would see that many of the 24 pounders are dead. Like finchaser said you cannot just make more. They are not like doritos.

SharkHart
10-17-2014, 10:14 AM
Temps have little to do with it, the water In Montauk is probably like a degree colder. I give this speech Every year you just have to let the calendar tick to around Oct 21st to 24th ish for the mirgrators to roll in. How thick or how few areas or off the beach remains to be seen, but there will be opportunites but you most likely have to travel to them and the opportunities may open and close before you get there, You may have to try 5 spots over 30 miles, thats the reality of fall now. Just fishing one area and doing your same thing, waiting for fish to come to you is a low percent shot anymore.