PDA

View Full Version : ASMFC approves 1 bass at 28" ?

basshunter
10-30-2014, 05:18 PM
Can this be true? Read it on the internet but just wanted to run it by you guys and see what you think.

Report from ASMFC Striped Bass Meeting in Connecticut - HighlightsHere are a few of the highlights from the ASMFC Striped Bass Board?s 10 hour meeting today. Overall this was a productive meeting, but it certainly had its moments. All these motions passed.

? Prior to the start of the 2015 fishery all jurisdictions implement rules to achieve the new fishing mortality target by implementing a 25% harvest reduction in coastal fisheries and a 20.5% reduction in the Chesapeake Bay (http://viglink.pgpartner.com/rd.php?r=5346&m=786782994&q=n&rdgt=1414672144&it=1415104144&et=1415276944&priceret=199.99&pg=~~3&k=2c5df0e1a1f7a492222fdc1ac9148c29&source=feed&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcabelas%2Erdr%2Echannelintelligen ce%2Ecom%2Fgo%2Easp%3FfVhzOC8fBggESSNiXVpeShBpFT92 Z1EABEwBb2VbUBdDXSJXNzAjFx0fR0AofAwCCRZNP0wKXEsuay NfXVRFWyt9IQIdGk4wTSA3fl9XVx1pMzMbCgUGTHNvLzEgAH9R Q1kxN0IgAxJTKkwLCBRyd2AeHEVERmAiHQwPBkIqciI2OkxcRH lSYmNdUl1GFGcZMDYwTl1UVQo8OwY8XkQZagcVCQIgND1OXVRV BWMxAwoIGEg6C31iBHkcRENLPG8sMC5VdgoRLicMRFYNQUI2MQ oEGRJDPFpWGXMXailyX1NvXDtjUlNZShRnFXR1dV9bVA0Ebw%3 D%3D%26nAID%3D5784816&st=feed&mt=~~~~~~~~n~~~) fisheries. Motion passed
?Use coast-wide reference points.
?NOT allow commercial quota transfers.
?Approve option B1 (1fish @ 28? ? coastal) with all conservation equivalency measures equal to a 25% or greater reduction in harvest
?The Chesapeake Bay (http://viglink.pgpartner.com/rd.php?r=5346&m=786782994&q=n&rdgt=1414672144&it=1415104144&et=1415276944&priceret=199.99&pg=~~3&k=2c5df0e1a1f7a492222fdc1ac9148c29&source=feed&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcabelas%2Erdr%2Echannelintelligen ce%2Ecom%2Fgo%2Easp%3FfVhzOC8fBggESSNiXVpeShBpFT92 Z1EABEwBb2VbUBdDXSJXNzAjFx0fR0AofAwCCRZNP0wKXEsuay NfXVRFWyt9IQIdGk4wTSA3fl9XVx1pMzMbCgUGTHNvLzEgAH9R Q1kxN0IgAxJTKkwLCBRyd2AeHEVERmAiHQwPBkIqciI2OkxcRH lSYmNdUl1GFGcZMDYwTl1UVQo8OwY8XkQZagcVCQIgND1OXVRV BWMxAwoIGEg6C31iBHkcRENLPG8sMC5VdgoRLicMRFYNQUI2MQ oEGRJDPFpWGXMXailyX1NvXDtjUlNZShRnFXR1dV9bVA0Ebw%3 D%3D%26nAID%3D5784816&st=feed&mt=~~~~~~~~n~~~) jurisdictions submit for Technical Committee review and Board approval for 2015 conservation equivalency proposal that achieve a 20.5% reduction from 2012 harvest in the Chesapeake Bay recreational fisheries
?There will be a 20.5% reduction from the 2012 harvest in the Chesapeake Bay commercial fisheries. The reduction will be applied and set before the 2015 season
?Implementation date of January 1, 2015. And to submit conservation equivalency proposals by December 1, 2014 for technical committee and board review and action at the February 2015 meeting.

Tom O?Connell did a fantastic job today representing Maryland?s interests. The MSSA has supported a 1 year timeframe, minimum 25% reduction for the coast and a 3 year timeline, 17% reduction for the Bay. While we missed the 3 year timeline, substituting a 2 year timeframe, we are pleased with the results.

Regarding the Chesapeake Bay (http://viglink.pgpartner.com/rd.php?r=5346&m=786782994&q=n&rdgt=1414672144&it=1415104144&et=1415276944&priceret=199.99&pg=~~3&k=2c5df0e1a1f7a492222fdc1ac9148c29&source=feed&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcabelas%2Erdr%2Echannelintelligen ce%2Ecom%2Fgo%2Easp%3FfVhzOC8fBggESSNiXVpeShBpFT92 Z1EABEwBb2VbUBdDXSJXNzAjFx0fR0AofAwCCRZNP0wKXEsuay NfXVRFWyt9IQIdGk4wTSA3fl9XVx1pMzMbCgUGTHNvLzEgAH9R Q1kxN0IgAxJTKkwLCBRyd2AeHEVERmAiHQwPBkIqciI2OkxcRH lSYmNdUl1GFGcZMDYwTl1UVQo8OwY8XkQZagcVCQIgND1OXVRV BWMxAwoIGEg6C31iBHkcRENLPG8sMC5VdgoRLicMRFYNQUI2MQ oEGRJDPFpWGXMXailyX1NvXDtjUlNZShRnFXR1dV9bVA0Ebw%3 D%3D%26nAID%3D5784816&st=feed&mt=~~~~~~~~n~~~) reference points, we believe the Technical Committee and the Board heard a loud and clear voice that these reference points are needed and wanted by Bay anglers. The Board and Committee reaffirmed that their number one priority at this time is finding consensus on these reference points. We will continue to monitor.

There is still a lot of work to do in Maryland regarding our conservation

hookset
10-30-2014, 05:36 PM
Thats good news lets hope NJ sticks to it. At least the raritan bay meatmen like fisher price wont be able to catch "bonus plus plus limits" anymore.:clapping:

storminsteve
10-30-2014, 05:39 PM
At least the raritan bay meatmen like fisher price wont be able to catch "bonus plus plus limits" anymore.:clapping:

X2, that guy is a notorious greedy pig but the clients should take responsibility too. Or at least the capt should try to educate them that there are less stripers. My .02.

fishinmission78
10-30-2014, 05:47 PM
Def a needed change.

seamonkey
10-30-2014, 06:13 PM
Well I can add to that too fishinmission. I fish the dbay a lot in the spring from the banks and I have to say this year fishing sucked. They said it was the cold winter but the old guys that hang out and fish have some great stories of the big ones and they say every year the season starts later and doesn't produce as many big fish. I havent caught that many big fish so I may not know as much as they do but it does seem harder. I'm all in for anything they can do to pretect the breeders.

jigfreak
10-30-2014, 06:32 PM
If you don't have an idea that the bass numbers are down you are so out of touch that you probably think your local politician wants you to vote for him so he can represent and help you. This is a good thing. Hopefully it's not too late and we have some good spawns so they can bounce back.

finchaser
10-30-2014, 10:26 PM
The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, a compact of East Coast states including New Jersey, also left wiggle room for states to allow two fish per day at larger sizes.
The ASMFC, at a meeting Wednesday in Connecticut, voted 14-2 for an option that allows one fish per day at a minimum size of 28 inches. That would bring a 31 percent reduction in catches next year.

New Jersey, which currently allows two fish per day at 28 inches, and Delaware were the only states to vote against it.

But the ASMFC will also allow states to use a program known as “conservation equivalency” to keep the harvest cutback equal to or greater than a 25 percent reduction. Conservation equivalency, a system also used with summer flounder, allows each state to use a combination of bag limits, seasons and minimum fish size as long as it meets the specified reduction.

Adam Nowalsky, New Jersey’s legislative representative on the ASMFC, pushed for conservation equivalency and it passed in a 16-0 vote.

Barnegat Light party boat captain Eddie Yates, returning from a sea bass fishing trip Thursday, was happy there is some flexibility.

Yates said it could allow what is known as a slot limit, perhaps one striper at 28 to 35 inches and one at a 36-inch minimum. New Jersey could also tweak its season, which already bans back-bay striper fishing in the winter.

“My business can’t survive with one fish a day. We’re barely getting by with two fish a day. I’m glad they left it with a conservation equivalency and we can pick our own poison,” Yates said.

The state Division of Fish and Wildlife’s “striper guru,” Russ Allen, will come up with various options to bring to the fishing clubs and anglers for input.

The decision must be made quickly as striped bass changes require approval from the New Jersey Legislature.

Tom Fote, a New Jersey representative on the ASMFC and an avid striper angler, said it must be approved by Feb. 1. Fote said some New Jersey groups were pushing for one fish per day for the maximum conservation and others wanted two. He said the season could be shortened and there could be a slot limit with two fish. Fote envisioned seasonal changes with one fish at 28 to 34 inches and one at 37 to 38 inches.

“We have to get people to agree because we have to pass a bill. Last time, we had three competing bills. I think we can work this out. We’ll have two or three choices to get to 25 percent,” Fote said.

Nowalsky said the state will have nine options, listed as Options B-1 through B-9, to reach the mandate. The options already have ASMFC approvals, but he noted New Jersey could come up with something entirely different but would have to go through a commission review process. He expects the New Jersey Marine Fisheries Council to get involved.

“Ultimately it’s up to the Legislature to take action,” Nowalsky said.

Robert Jackson, an angler from Cape May County, opposes taking the larger fish. He wants one small fish per day. Jackson said he wants a fish to eat, not a trophy fish to take a picture of.

“You’re genetically selecting the big gene out of the pool. Keep the big fish spawning. What’s best for the overall future of striped bass is not to keep targeting the big fish,” Jackson said.

The ASMFC held 19 public hearings in 12 states, and the most popular option was one fish per day at 32 inches. Anglers pushed for the most conservation with some party, charter and for-hire businesses wanting more lenient cuts.

New Jersey pushed for two fish per day, and Nowalsky challenged the states that wanted one fish at 32 inches, which would mean cuts of greater than 31 percent, to enact such regulations in their state.

“That’s what they wanted. They should implement it,” Nowalsky said.

The commission also voted to allow the Chesapeake Bay region, the major production area for stripers, to cut back by only 20.5 percent in 2015. New Jersey voted against that. Fote argued the Delaware River is coming on strong as a producing area and the Hudson River is also a spawning area.

“I can’t support a difference for the coast and bay. We have a producing area as well. What’s good for one is good for all,” Fote said.

Fote argued this will allow too much fishing on the large 2011 year class in the Chesapeake. The 2011 class is expected to eventually help reverse recent declines in the harvest of keeper-sized fish.

The cuts are not just for the recreational industry but also for commercial catches. New Jersey gives its commercial quota of 321,000 pounds to anglers, and that allotment, even cut by 25 percent, could take some of the sting out of the cutbacks because it has not been fully utilized in the past. It probably will be now.

“That’s definitely a positive,” Yates said.

Contact Richard Degener:

609-463-6711

RDegener@pressofac.com (RDegener@pressofac.com)

? 2014 pressofAtlanticCity.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast (http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/site/terms/)

hookset
10-31-2014, 11:31 AM
New Jersey, which currently allows two fish per day at 28 inches, and Delaware were the only states to vote against it.

Does anyone know who made that vote for NJ. Was it D*ckweed Fote?

Monty
10-31-2014, 12:35 PM
Does anyone know who made that vote for NJ. Was it D*ckweed Fote?

I hate NJ.
With the replenishment and Scum like Fote this state is screwed.

buckethead
10-31-2014, 03:04 PM
I don't think things will change until Fote is replaced. Unfortunately he is a political appointee who knows how the game is played. Look for him to continue his incumbency until he dies or gets too sick to perform his functions, and then he may step down. If it sounds like a raw deal it is. I have been following his articles and statements for years and it does seem somehow he has lost his way. Perhaps some are influencing him with some sort of financial arrangements. This would be impossible to prove and questionable to make these allegations without any further subsance so I won't make them, I cannot help thinking that there is some influence that we can't see. His actions don't make sense to logical folks I know. All we can hope for is the better logic and balanced vote from the other NJ Delegates. They could still make it about 2 or 3 bass as long as the conservation equivalency portion is met. That would be a mistake.

I caught some bigger bass today but those are the only sized bass I saw. That concerns me greatly. We need the smaller bass to continue to populate the species. With all these larger bass in NJ now they will certainly get hammered and numbers further reduced this Fall. We cannot afford to repeat the mistakes of the past. This is just my .02 from over 50 years of fishing, I feel we are more than past the point of no return now. If this reduction does not go through or somehow gets circumvented that will be the end of striped bass fishing coastwide. Folks need to see this is a serious situation and make the necessary regulatory choices. I really do hope it goes through. Anything else would be a disaster.