PDA

View Full Version : NJ Fishing Reports for December 2014 - www.StripersAndAnglers.com

DarkSkies
11-27-2014, 01:59 PM
Short and sweet......

1. Post your fishing reports here if ya want.....
2. Be as specific as ya want....but remember the limited access....If you don't enjoy fishing next to 40 friends at night in a 400 foot section of beach, think before ya post.....:idea:
3. Location - Out front, out back, or the county...further details on the first page of any past S&A monthly fishing reports.

4. Moderation...
I rarely have time to moderate these threads.
If something needs to be addressed,and you are a contributing member.....please PM me or send an e-mail via the report post button.
Have been working double time to resolve some issues in my life, and for the rest of the year I need to get out more and fish. :fishing:

**Any spot burning, petty disputes, or bickering...please resolve them like adults......or they will be addressed by Finchaser and Vpass showing up at your door....and taking ya's for a long ride to sleep with the fish.....:whoo: :viking::bonk:
Hope that's clear...;)
There are fish to be caught...ya can't catch em from the couch....Winter will be here before we know it.....so get out there....and fish!....:HappyWave:
** Thanks for your cooperation and for being such a great group! :thumbsup:

This Fall 2014 is definitely going down as a poor one for most veteran surfcasters.....there were a few places where you could catch quantities of schoolies and small bass......
Nothing wrong with that....but with the limited opportunities there were at times...as much as 40 other guys sharing the same 300 foot stretch of productive beaches....while many other beaches remained barren and void of meaningful life beyond the limited bite at dawn and dusk,
(See "EOD Bite")
stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?1877-fishing-terms-dictionary/page3

And the Feeding window......
stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?1877-fishing-terms-dictionary/page2

Will there be fish in December?
There are often small fish around, if you follow the above advice and know where and when to look...bearing in mind that even small temp drops can shut the bite off instantly......

Still, it's fun to get out and wet a line....
And for many of us...it's needed therapy....:fishing:
Good luck...People....

DarkSkies
11-27-2014, 02:02 PM
Some folks are registering and are still confused so I'll need to post this separately.
If anyone has any suggestions to make this process more painless....your feedback is always welcome.....thanks...:HappyWave:

NJ Fishing Reports for November 2014.....www.StripersAndAnglers.com (http://www.stripersandanglers.com/)

**Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post. If you began to register and can't post, check your spam folder for your activation instructions.

storminsteve
12-01-2014, 09:06 AM
Fished moco last night. First 2 hours of incoming. One 26" striper on a black SP with a teaser in front. Fish hit the SP.

finchaser
12-01-2014, 10:25 AM
The results for the Gobbler, the biggest club tournament of the year. Min size 30". Prizes for the best three fish (so you know guys were fishing hard) Ran from Wednesday evening until noon today. In the range of 450 anglers, Shark River Surf Anglers, Asbury Fishing Club, Berkeley, and Spring Lake Liveliners, with Bradley Beach, and Monmouth Cartoppers.
Five fish allowed for each club. No person can have more then one.
AND NO FISH WERE WEIGHED IN
That's both fall tournaments - NO Fish ! None !

Absolutely unprecedented in at least the last 25 years, and probably since the moratorium years.

WE fished our as_es off thank god the bass aren't in trouble

surferman
12-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Well it looks like the bulk of the fish are centered around the Chessy now. I will finish out the year fishing with bunker in cape may. Just wishing for one keeper striper to come around the point. Hey a guy can always dream can't he?
The bunker I have is old and frozen so I'm not hoping for much.I did freeze it in newspaper though it might not be that bad. Will use fresh clams as well and try for one keeper on the nicer days when its warmer. Today would be perfect too bad I'm stuck in my office working. Good luck fellas an heres hoping our luck will be better next year.

surferman
12-01-2014, 12:15 PM
The results for the Gobbler, the biggest club tournament of the year. Min size 30". Prizes for the best three fish (so you know guys were fishing hard) Ran from Wednesday evening until noon today. In the range of 450 anglers, Shark River Surf Anglers, Asbury Fishing Club, Berkeley, and Spring Lake Liveliners, with Bradley Beach, and Monmouth Cartoppers.

Absolutely unprecedented in at least the last 25 years, and probably since the moratorium years.

thats crazy!

Monty
12-01-2014, 02:44 PM

No one should be surprised. After you, dark and others warning about the collapse of the Striped Bass fishery because of over harvesting for years now this should not have surprised any one.
Stupid amounts of breeders killed. How about a little common sense. What does everyone expect? That for every bass that is killed one will reappear from nowhere?
Greed and stupidity. With greed leading the way for the decimation of the Striped Bass population.

buckethead
12-02-2014, 08:32 AM
Fished moco yesterday afternoon and picked up 2 short bass. Bucktail and grub. Water wasn't that bad but the wind was building. Went back again this morning and the wind and surf got worse. Nada

buckethead
12-02-2014, 08:37 AM
How about a little common sense. What does everyone expect? That for every bass that is killed one will reappear from nowhere?
Greed and stupidity. With greed leading the way for the decimation of the Striped Bass population.

I agree with you. Just my opinion but you can't expect most bass fishermen to have common sense. Many are weekend warriors getting reports and info from the internet. If they read it on the internet they feel it must be true. Even voluntary movements like 1 at 32" are nice but not greatly effective because you will have a core group of anglers who will keep every fish allowed by law. Even if the stripers are in trouble they have no concerns or qualms. The only real way to effect change is tightning the regs. That happened this Fall and hopefully it will make a difference after 2015 has passed. I was talking to a few friends and heard that there is still some resistance among party and charter boats and they are looking for a special deal similar to the one the LI boats have. We shall see how that turns out.

fishrich
12-02-2014, 12:43 PM
I agree with you. Just my opinion but you can't expect most bass fishermen to have common sense. Many are weekend warriors getting reports and info from the internet. If they read it on the internet they feel it must be true. Even voluntary movements like 1 at 32" are nice but not greatly effective because you will have a core group of anglers who will keep every fish allowed by law. Even if the stripers are in trouble they have no concerns or qualms. The only real way to effect change is tightning the regs. That happened this Fall and hopefully it will make a difference after 2015 has passed. I was talking to a few friends and heard that there is still some resistance among party and charter boats and they are looking for a special deal similar to the one the LI boats have. We shall see how that turns out.

I agree with everything you said. Hopefully the new regulations will be a one fish limit. We need to agree on one regulation that is the same for every state from Maine to North Caroline. No exceptions!

jigfreak
12-02-2014, 01:49 PM
I agree with everything you said. Hopefully the new regulations will be a one fish limit. We need to agree on one regulation that is the same for every state from Maine to North Caroline. No exceptions!

Great idea but is that even possible? Too much politicking going on. I hate all those basstards. They don't even have a clue how much striped bass fishing brings to the states. that includes Pallone.
Fished moco this morning. Very sporty out and lots of white water. 3 very tiny rats on buck and pork.

Blazin420
12-02-2014, 04:22 PM
Got out this am 4am- 830am..Worked the sand in the dark and picked up 1 about 20in on a the teaser..Once it got light out and the tide dropped i strapped on the korkers and hit the rocks..Like jigfreak sais..It was a bit sporty out there with the hard NE and waves crashing the N side of the jetty..Got soaked but also found 2 more shorts and dropped 2 at the rocks..They all hit the Vision sandeel close to the rocks..Water was mean green with alot of white water which is pretty much perfect..Expected more fish for the conditions but ill take it!

finchaser
12-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Tried inside as wind was hawking and rain coming in off the ocean sideways, picked up 1 little runt 3- 4:30pm on a bucktail NEE wind warmed the water up to 48 degrees and was surprisingly clean

hookedonbass
12-03-2014, 08:58 AM
Wow you guys are really dedicated to be out in that weather! I got out this morning, fished some pockets of rockpiles. It was pretty big and gnarly out there it looked like fish should have been all over the place. Did not see any bait or birds working and tried to work the cleaner water on the pockets which there wasn't much of. Skunk for me but great morning out not that cold.

cowherder
12-04-2014, 08:33 AM
Way to get out there an try gents. I will be hitting it up this weekend hope to have a report soon skunk or not.

seamonkey
12-05-2014, 07:03 AM
Fished cape may area with clams from 5-7a. Waves were getting big and I was hoping the rough surf would bring some fish in to feed. Got 3 skates 2 dogfish and one short striper.

basshunter
12-05-2014, 08:22 AM
Figured it was a nice morning before it rains later on. Started at the beach before island beach at 6:30. There was a lot of foamy water. One other guy out there. I got wet and quit rather quickly. No fish for either of us. No birds or bait working that stretch of beach either.

VSdreams
12-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Fished moco last night. First 2 hours of incoming. One 26" striper on a black SP with a teaser in front. Fish hit the SP.

Isn't that crazy how you hear they want the teaser and then hit the plug instead of it. Its so hard to figure out striper behavior some times.

hookset
12-05-2014, 09:41 AM
3 skates 2 dogfish and one short striper.

And a partridge in a pear tree.:)
Just kidding, I saw the surf this morning on the cam and decided to give it one more day before getting out there. Thanks for the report dude and congrats at least you caught something in the slop.

jigfreak
12-05-2014, 10:12 AM
^^^^ Funny stuff, lol. FYI there are some small bass left in the surf, OC area. I have been picking away at them rats at end of day. With the high tides this weekend 2-3 hours after sunset fishing the incoming would be a good time. Incoming has been working for me. Small bucktail and pork, or tsunami eel when you can get it out past the first break and follow the sweep as you bring it in. good luck all.

jigfreak
12-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Just my opinion but you can't expect most bass fishermen to have common sense. Many are weekend warriors getting reports and info from the internet. If they read it on the internet they feel it must be true. Even voluntary movements like 1 at 32" are nice but not greatly effective because you will have a core group of anglers who will keep every fish allowed by law. Even if the stripers are in trouble they have no concerns or qualms. The only real way to effect change is tightning the regs..

Could not agree with you more on this. Spot on.

cowherder
12-05-2014, 10:40 AM
And a partridge in a pear tree.:)

Liked that one too lol Seamonkey I definitely give you props for getting out there. Even one short striper is success. With the dogfish and skates to top it off you may just have lucked into a NJ December Full House!

finchaser
12-05-2014, 02:52 PM
4 bass to 23 inches this morning all on bucktail with white grub

buckethead
12-06-2014, 10:27 AM
^^^^^^ Nice to hear of some fish being caught finchaser. I was out this morning in moco and fished the first hour of the outgoing. Stained water, big surf, and no signs of life. I didn't catch anything but I still was glad to be out there at my age. Some of us go fishing not necessarily to fish but just to be out there. It is good for the joints and bones. Always enjoy your reports finchaser, hope to see them as long as you are able. Us old farts have to stick together.:)

hookset
12-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Fin chaser -Good deal on the catching. Buckethead thanks for the conditions report. The weather is still mild and it's fishable for december. I may give it a go tomorrow morn.

7deadlyplugs
12-06-2014, 10:49 AM
Thank you for making the effort guys. LI surf season is toast and I'm about done for the year though the season doesnt end till Dec 31. Right now I'm just waiting for the herring to some in and hoping to get some to plckle. Mmmmmmm mmmmm!

basshunter
12-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Yeah thanks for the conditions report. I'm looking to get out tomorrow afternoon hopefully it will be a little cleaner by then.

storminsteve
12-06-2014, 03:02 PM
Man we keep getting killed by this rain! One bad storm system after another.

Blazin420
12-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Man we keep getting killed by this rain! One bad storm system after another.

Ugggh tell me about it its either dirty water from a storm or the wind is blowin 25+...Really sucks! Im off on Tuesday and sunday and they are usually the days the wind is crankin...Like tomorrow had the day to fish..Gonna blow 20-25 N...Ill probably go anyway just for something to keep me away from the holiday honey-do crap hahaha..

buckethead
12-07-2014, 10:36 AM
..Ill probably go anyway just for something to keep me away from the holiday honey-do crap hahaha..

You're welcome gentlemen. Took my daily walk on the beach this morning. Didn't bring a rod out with me just a walk to keep the joints in shape. Wind is howling from the N/NE, mostly north. Surf is unfishable for the first 100 yards. Even though it's a sunny day I would recommend working on the honey do list today. Not worth it to come down. The surf needs at least 24 hours to clean up. And more rain is coming tomorrow.
One of the only fishable places will be the inlets but they have been dead lately. Good luck all.

Blazin420
12-07-2014, 10:43 AM
You're welcome gentlemen. Took my daily walk on the beach this morning. Didn't bring a rod out with me just a walk to keep the joints in shape. Wind is howling from the N/NE, mostly north. Surf is unfishable for the first 100 yards. Even though it's a sunny day I would recommend working on the honey do list today. Not worth it to come down. The surf needs at least 24 hours to clean up. And more rain is coming tomorrow.
One of the only fishable places will be the inlets but they have been dead lately. Good luck all.

Yeah i got up about 430 looked at the weather sites i use and walked outside...And said NOPE! Like you said im gonna knock some stuff off the Honey-Do list and watch some football:plastered:...If it wasnt for the 45-1hr ride i would have gone for the hell of it...Thanks for the conditions report...Guess ill have to wait till the end of the week or next week with the way the weather looks to be shaping up for the next 3-4days:burn::burn:.....At least i can make the wife happy today:rolleyes:

hookedonbass
12-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the conditions report BH. Yeah this constant NE weather pattern is killing us.
Where are all the sharpies on the beach today? The ones that run there mouths about how great the noreast fishing is?

jigfreak
12-07-2014, 12:36 PM
Where are all the sharpies on the beach today? The ones that run there mouths about how great the noreast fishing is?

At home trolling through facebook reports waiting for the blitzes.:kooky:
I kind of like this time of year. Most folks have quit. The beaches are empty. There are still a few runts around and once in awhile a bigger fish. Fall fishing at its finest without the internet masses.

storminsteve
12-10-2014, 08:35 AM
waiting for the blitzes.:kooky:

Well you can definitely see birds working in this pic.:rolleyes: North east slop, dirty water, plenty of white water for monty. Who's in?

fishinmission78
12-10-2014, 08:46 AM
Yeah that should being em running dude.:kooky:
Some times when the water is bad the inlets hold a few fish. I haven't been out in a few days so I can't give a current report. Will give it a try when the water clears though. The temps haven't dropped that much and there may still be a few fish around.

VSdreams
12-10-2014, 02:14 PM
if anyone wants a water conditions report I looked at the cam and it looks dirty!
I thought the phrasing on one of them was pretty cool:
"Surf is in the waist-chest high+ range and looking poor and wonky, keep an eye on it for improvements."

Blazin420
12-10-2014, 02:59 PM
LoL.."wonky"..I like that!! Havent been out in a week and im jonsin!!! I hope to get out on Sunday sometime...Im sure there are still a few lil guys around to play with! Also cant wait to see the beach and all the sand that got taken away!!:clapping::devil:....

buckethead
12-11-2014, 08:45 AM
Fished moco from 7-8:30 this morning. surf has cleaned up and calmed down a bit. still a little dirty but fishable. Skunk for me. Back out this afternoon or tomorrow.

buckethead
12-12-2014, 10:10 AM
moco again 7-9 on the incoming. Surf is a little cleaner, still some swells. A few fish around. Picked up 2 shorts on bucktail and pork.

seamonkey
12-13-2014, 08:35 AM
Hey buckethead at least you got some congrats. I fished CM this morning, great morning and sunrise. Not too cold, not to windy, just right as Goldilocks would say. Fished the incoming tide which I have done well on before. I had fresh clams which would have been a tasty meal for a striper. Just some doggies and skates. Oh well at least it was good to be out there.

cowherder
12-13-2014, 08:41 AM
Fished nomoco in the am, I too saw a great sunrise. Nothing else for me though, nice walk out there.

buckethead
12-15-2014, 09:12 AM
Walked a beach in Moco. From sunrise on incoming tide. Saw some loons and small bait out there but no luck with the fish.

fishrich
12-16-2014, 10:18 AM
Fished NOMOCO yesterday, mid afternoon till dark. No signs of life, including other fishermen.

Blazin420
12-17-2014, 07:31 AM
Well my season abruptly ended this past Friday...Me and the wife were getting ready for her sisters engagement party in the city..Well while we were walking out to the car my wife rolled her ankle bad and next day we find out its BROKE!!!http://www.stripersurf.com/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif http://www.stripersurf.com/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif http://www.stripersurf.com/images/smilies/eusa_doh.gif .....So im home takin care of my lady! Kind of wierd for her cause she is an actual nurse and used to being on the other side of these things!Really sucks not cause i cant fish so much just with the time of year and i feel real bad for my wife..Ive been running around like crazyhttp://www.stripersurf.com/images/smilies/no.gif Well heres to a OK fall run in 2014(at least for me had a few GREAT nights) and lets hope 2015 is MUCH BETTER!!...I still may get a day to sneak out for a couple hours just for some fresh air and to hear the sounds of the beach...I always miss that the most..The fish are just a bonus this time of year!! Happy Holidyas fellashttp://www.stripersurf.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

hookset
12-17-2014, 09:15 AM
Fished NOMOCO yesterday, mid afternoon till dark. No signs of life, including other fishermen.

Same results in moco last evening. Light rain wasn't bad, neither was the surf. Zippo. Fat lady.

hookset
12-17-2014, 09:16 AM
...So im home takin care of my lady! Kind of wierd for her cause she is an actual nurse and used to being on the other side of these things!Really sucks not cause i cant fish so much just with the time of year and i feel real bad for my wife..Happy Holidyas fellashttp://www.stripersurf.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

Hey look at all the women do for us. They put up with us and we aren't the best creatures out there. Hope she heals up soon. Enjoy your reports. Happy Holidays to the stripers and anglers members and their families!

Blazin420
12-18-2014, 07:55 AM
Hey look at all the women do for us. They put up with us and we aren't the best creatures out there. Hope she heals up soon. Enjoy your reports. Happy Holidays to the stripers and anglers members and their families!
Your right Hook!! Thanks for the well wishes..And happy holidays to you and all you guys on here!!

storminsteve
12-18-2014, 08:37 AM
Sorry to hear about your wife's broken ankle. Time to build up the brownie points so you can go extra times next year! Happy holidays to all the guys too.:fishing:

cowherder
12-19-2014, 08:42 AM
Yes blazin sorry to hear the news, hope she heals up and you all have a great Christmas!

hookset
12-19-2014, 01:27 PM
singing

buckethead
12-21-2014, 01:51 PM
I would agree hook, except for the occasional small bass here and there. May find some at the end of a sunny day as well. Pickings sure are slim though. walked the shoreline of Moco this morning, downsized rod and gear. Fished the first hour of the outgoing. Nothing but a nice walk near the waters edge.

finchaser
12-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Yep they all agree

surferman
12-24-2014, 02:16 PM
^^^^^^I think so finchaser I haven't read a surf catching report from cm for about a week!
Was looking at the surf cams today. beautiful white water and only one surfer taking advantage of it. You can barely see him. don't know if he's visible in the pic, he is about 300' N of the rocks. Merry Christmas folks!

hookedonbass
12-27-2014, 09:06 AM
Yep they all agree

I think you are right finchaser. Fished nomoco yesterday pm to sunset. Low tide it was pretty nice out there not bad for fishing. Catching part was not so great though. Skunk for me. Took a ride up to the hook to see what I could see there too. Saw one seal happily swimming and popping his head up. The herring must be in.

surfstix1963
12-28-2014, 08:19 AM
It was over before it started on the eastern seaboard and will probably remain that way for a few years to come.

lostatsea
12-28-2014, 10:05 AM
I wonder if people really have a handle on how bad it was. I don't catch a lot of stripers but I do love to go fishing and when I do catch its awesome. When I'm bored at work I cruise the net looking for fishing knowledge. Almost every board you are on they are talking about how striper fishing is not so good as it was. What will it take for some of these pencil pushers to wake up and actually go see what is happening out there?

clamchucker
12-28-2014, 10:10 AM
I have seen it happen in the 80's. I believe it is happening again. lost at sea to answer your question you might want to know there is a time lag between what they see at the fishery management agencies and what fisherman are seeing. There is a large disconnect between the science and reality. They are trying to get better data. I feel some of the managers should spend more time in the field listening to catch reports when the boats come in.

There is a saying that those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it. I think that is true with striped bass. It may take several years for them to start to recover. This will be more true if NJ wavers on regulating the limits and makes it less stringent than other states.

fishinmission78
12-28-2014, 10:16 AM
^^^^ Def agree. NJ should be the same as the other states. Don't cave in to the pressure from the commercial and charter guys. Fished above the park the last 2 days. Picked up a few bass at sunset. Small runts. 1/2 hour before the sun went down. Yellow mambo minnow crawled slowly.

buckethead
12-28-2014, 09:01 PM
I think the mild weather the last few days along with the herring may have brought some fish in the surf line. Managed 3 this afternoon. nothing of size but still fun. 1/2 oz bucktail with mr twister grub.

buckethead
12-28-2014, 09:02 PM
There is a saying that those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it. I think that is true with striped bass. It may take several years for them to start to recover. This will be more true if NJ wavers on regulating the limits and makes it less stringent than other states.

I agree as well. Thank you.

cowherder
12-28-2014, 09:19 PM
Hanging in there till the end! nice catches guys!

Blazin420
12-29-2014, 07:11 AM
Nice guys!! with the warmer temps yesterday and the overcast skies i HAD to give it 1 more shot at putting a few on the sand...Fished on the rocks and beach from 10-130pm...Water was nice and clean with a little chop to it...I was glad i went..Managed to 5 lil guyshttp://www.stripersurf.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif http://www.stripersurf.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif ...All 18-20in with the biggest about 23in..Was siked to have a bend in the rod after not being out for a month...They hit my usual arsenol 1 on a vision sandeel,mambo(olive/white),2 on the mag darter and 1 on my teaser...It was a nice morning once the rain quit...Im gonna press my luck and try 1 last time tm afternoon...If i dont get out then at least i ended on a high notehttp://www.stripersurf.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif ....Plus my Broncos won yesterday to make it even betterhttp://www.stripersurf.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

hookedonbass
12-29-2014, 08:43 AM
.Plus my Broncos won yesterday to make it even betterhttp://www.stripersurf.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Go Broncos! Awesome reports guys! They may be small but at least they have stripes. Fished moco yesterday from 4-6. I was using the rubber eel as well. The tsunami one. First place I fished I saw a seal so I left. The next place there were no seals but a few stripers. Got 2 shorties before it got dark out.

Monty
12-29-2014, 11:03 AM
Congrats on the fishing and catching guys. :HappyWave: